Artest Retiring?????

http://www.niketalk.com/ go to sports and training and then click on artest. apparently on the pacers telecast tonite they were trying to find out too. so far its all hearsay and they say that he wants to devote his time to god. if this is so, this kills the talks about the peja trade plus my fantasy team.

Insomniacal Fan said:
I dunno, God would be a pretty good pickup for the Kings :)

At least we'd have the morale boost... able to say God was on our side :)
That's a great idea.......God is a proven winner..........and God's mentality is MUCH better than Pedja........

MINNEAPOLIS -- Ron Artest is being punished again, and Indiana Pacers coach Rick Carlisle wouldn't say exactly why.

Carlisle, who kept the volatile forward out of Tuesday's 102-101 victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves, said after the game that Artest would also sit out Wednesday night against the Los Angeles Clippers.

"We had a situation develop yesterday I felt compromised the integrity of the team," Carlisle said. "It's a private team matter, and I'm going to leave it at that."

Artest was bothered by a sore knee during the preseason, but this was the first regular-season game he missed.

"I'll be back shortly," Artest said.

Said teammate Stephen Jackson: "We need our All-Star back, and he'll be back. ... This is the last you'll hear of this."

Artest, often in trouble throughout his six-year career, sat along the baseline most of the night in his warmups -- without pouting.

"I was impressed with how he came out and supported the team," Carlisle said.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=1919656

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=NBA&id=3339

"Ron Artest did not play tonight for the Pacers due to undisclosed disciplinary reasons.
But Rotoworld will give you the scoop. The original reason was injuries, then coach Rick Carlisle admitted he was punishing Artest for conduct detrimental to the team. The mysterious reason for the benching is that Artest was talking openly (and apparently seriously) with teammates about retiring from the game. Maybe he wants to walk the earth with Ricky Williams and Jules from Pulp Fiction? You have to admit that Artest's behavior over the past year has been strange, even for him. He'll sit again tomorrow night against the Clippers, but should be back for Friday's game. We imagine he'll snap out of it and come out Friday and have a season high. But you had to know this type of incident and behavior was possible when you drafted Artest."

I heard the retiring rumor also... don't believe a shred of it, but perhaps Artest did make some sort of empty threat along those lines or something.

Call him whatever you want, but to doubt his love and passion for the game is ridiculous. I'm willing to venture that Ron was trying to take a leadership role and tried to motivate his teammates-- he got ahead of himself and maybe started saying something like "if I'm not gonna compete to my fullest I might as well retire." Purely speculation on my part though. But so is all this talk by everyone about him joining Ricky Williams in Aussieland. Ron Artest is one of the last people I would expect to quit on the game like this.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
PT Cruiser 9ROC said:
Call him whatever you want, but to doubt his love and passion for the game is ridiculous. I'm willing to venture that Ron was trying to take a leadership role and tried to motivate his teammates-- he got ahead of himself and maybe started saying something like "if I'm not gonna compete to my fullest I might as well retire." Purely speculation on my part though. But so is all this talk by everyone about him joining Ricky Williams in Aussieland. Ron Artest is one of the last people I would expect to quit on the game like this.
As erratic as he is, I don't see how you could be surprised with just about anything he says. He's not entirely stable.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Need I remind you folks that the young Rodman whoplayed for Detroit was not all that crazy either. I twas not untill a few years, a lot of publicity and comming to Chicago that he really started to get wierd. Then he moved to CA and went compleetly off the deep end. Now Artest has been arround a little while, is getting publicity and some Yahoo's want to bring him out to CA?