Arena Alert

quick dog said:
Anthony Tsakopoulos is on radio 1530 right now talking about a proposed Kings arena with Tom Sullivan.
What about the Anthony Tsakopoulos Buzz Oates Intel Hewlitt Packard Thunder Valley Fort Sutter Arena?

He didn't divulge a ton of details, but did state that the plan would call for a non-profit group to own the land and the Maloofs would pay rent. I think that he also said that within 2-3 weeks he would hope to go public with all of the details so that this can be put on the ballot in April and if it passed then they would have to move on the whole re-zoning of his land that he has in mind. He mentioned cities such as Anaheim and San Jose as possible sites to move to since they already have arenas ready for NBA basketball.

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
After listening to the interview and reading the stories in today's paper I'm leaning heavily toward the scenario of the Kings leaving. There is no way this new deal comes together in time. It took El Dorado County 12 years to adopt the current general plan (you think Sacramento county moves slow on things?) and there is no way it gets revised fast enough for this to happen. Everything being done at this point is to try and save as much face as possible so that we can bid for another team in the (very distant) future.

Jeremy said:
After listening to the interview and reading the stories in today's paper I'm leaning heavily toward the scenario of the Kings leaving. There is no way this new deal comes together in time. It took El Dorado County 12 years to adopt the current general plan (you think Sacramento county moves slow on things?) and there is no way it gets revised fast enough for this to happen. Everything being done at this point is to try and save as much face as possible so that we can bid for another team in the (very distant) future.
That doesn't sound good........... :mad: :(

Were going to be another Charlotte, lost a team, then gained one. The idea is painful. It seems that were stuck with Arco for a while.

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
The Maloofs own Arco. If they move they will not be putting any money into upkeep of Arco and it will be closed.

Anthony Tsakopoulos owns a large piece of undeveloped land that is located on the south side of Highway 50, west of El Dorado Hills. He is famous for working deals with the county planning departments, and the subject land is in eastern Sacramento County. Some of it has been dredged, most is just open range.

Side note: El Dorado County has been the vortex of a protracted political war between the locals, mostly conservative, and limosene liberals on the left. The left actually won the war, despite the conservative political demographics. The environmentalist elite, championed by former Palo Alto-based State Senator Byron Sher, kept El Dorado County in court for ten years fighting local development projects, infrastructure up-grades, and the El Dorado County General Plan. The voters finally approved a general plan by popular referendum.

Jeremy is correct in his assessment that a sports arena would be impossible to build in western El Dorado County. The environmentalist cabal still exists and would never allow it to happen.:(

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
PFFFT!! said:
Were going to be another Charlotte, lost a team, then gained one. The idea is painful. It seems that were stuck with Arco for a while.
There is no "gain a team" until the area finds the will to build an arena anyway. If the will is not there to do it for its own team, I wonder how many years of boonieism it is going to take for Sacto to ever move past an overgrown Lodi mentality and build one just in the HOPES that a new team might choose to relocate to a city which sent its former, very successful, team packing.

I listened to the interview and I am optomistic about it. Key details that I got out of it:

1. No public funds used
2. Funding provided by selling private low yeild farm lands after they are rezoned for development
3. A ballot measure will be voted on next September to rezone the lands in question
4. The landowners of said land already have signed agrements to follow the plan
5. The arena will be owned and run by a non-profit organization
6. The Maloofs will pay rent to use the arena
7. No endangered species on any of the lands; lands are not in a flood plain either.

It sounds like a very good plan to me. The biggest point where it may fail is if the ballot measure fails. I don't see how it could fail since it does not involve any public funds or lands. Why would anyone vote against it.

edit: added #7

Last edited:
Sorry, but rezoning is extremely unlikely. The most optimistic view would be that the lawsuits wouldn't hold it up for more than a decade or so. Any development is that area has been a hot button environmental issue for years.

SacDoug said:
I listened to the interview and I am optomistic about it. Key details that I got out of it:

1. No public funds used
2. Funding provided by selling private low yeild farm lands after they are rezoned for development
3. A ballot measure will be voted on next September to rezone the lands in question
4. The landowners of said land already have signed agrements to follow the plan
5. The arena will be owned and run by a non-profit organization
6. The Maloofs will pay rent to use the arena

It sounds like a very good plan to me. The biggest point where it may fail is if the ballot measure fails. I don't see how it could fail since it does not involve any public funds or lands. Why would anyone vote against it.
7. Numerous environmental lawsuits filed - process stalled for years.
8. Kings move.

kennadog said:
Sorry, but rezoning is extremely unlikely. The most optimistic view would be that the lawsuits wouldn't hold it up for more than a decade or so. Any development is that area has been a hot button environmental issue for years.

Screw environmentalists, they should go commit suicide!:D (no, I'm not serious but It'd solve the problem)

This whole situation just sticks for us fans. I mean, the Maloofs could care less what city they are in, as far as I can tell, as long as they don't have to pay for the arena. Although I've tried to not pay attention to these arena talks in general because I don't like to think of such things (plus I'm not the greatest at the semantics and politics involved with the whole thing), but what I can see from what I do know and this thread, it's really not looking good. That makes me sad. I don't see an easy ending either way, especially if they move.

It's all just too bad.

I still don't understand why the Kings don't go to Southwest, who has their corporate headquarters here, and is also one of the only airlines still turning a profit, and get naming rights. Then go to the tribe that owns Thunder Valley and get some financial backing from them. There has to be a few hundred million to squeeze from that.

I've heard Thunder Valley thrown into the convo before, but they didn't know how to pay them back. How about from proceeds that are made from all the other events that would be held at *SouthWest Arena*.