Arco game report: Webber is unfazed by trade rumors

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12433751p-13290010c.html

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Every year, it's Chris Webber.

Headed here or there via trade, it's not really an NBA season unless the Kings forward's name is dropped a dozen or so times, regardless of rumor merit.

"I've heard it so much over the years," Webber said Tuesday night. "I didn't hear that I was coming to Sacramento. (Now) I don't want to trade this for the world."

And why is his name always attached to something?

"Why is it?" he wondered. "Some old lady could fall on the street, and I did it. It gets very old.

"When this type of thing happened before (earlier in my career), I would become an introvert. It became a burden. As you get older, you learn to laugh at it. Not making the All-Star team (this season), hearing about chemistry problems, you laugh. I know I still believe in us."

Webber was plenty believable as a player against the Atlanta Hawks, recording 30 points, six rebounds and seven assists.

Stepping up

When Matt Barnes starts in place of Peja Stojakovic, out because a sore hamstring Tuesday, he isn't asked to become Peja - just a pest.

Against Atlanta, Barnes hustled for 10 points and 10 rebounds, his first double double of the season.

And should Stojakovic not be ready for the six-game road trip?

"I'll be ready," said Barnes, a former Del Campo High School star. "I know what I have to do to help this team."

Et cetera

Stojakovic said after Monday night's practice that he is "happy" in Sacramento and doesn't have any say or control in whether he is traded.

* Freshly minted Slam Dunk Champion Josh Smith of Atlanta had a career-high 19 points, bettering the rookie's previous high by three, also against the Kings.

* Former Kings guards Mike Woodson and Larry Drew have been reunited as Atlanta coaches, with Woodson the head and Drew the assistant. They recalled their lone campaign in Sacramento 20 seasons ago as mutually "magical."

* The Kings are shooting 29 percent from three-point range without Stojakovic in the lineup and 38 percent when he plays. The Kings made 25 percent Tuesday. * After shooting 32 percent in the previous three games, Webber made 10 of 20 from the field in recording his fifth game of 30 or more points.

LMM said:
Et cetera
* Freshly minted Slam Dunk Champion Josh Smith of Atlanta had a career-high 19 points, bettering the rookie's previous high by three, also against the Kings.
arghh!! :mad:

you gotta just love that little snippet of an et cetera <--sarcasm

isn't it bad enough that everytime the media wants to show how "nasty" Josh is as a dunker they refer back to the January 7th visuals against us...

but Sha the basketball fan did a kick out of the fact that during that first quarter when JS got the throw down...Brad thought of defending the shot and then said..."negative"...lol...HOWEVER Sha the Sacramento Kings fan was rather PO'd...but he didn't get a whole slew(sp?) which was nice to see...just his career high...::sigh::...what can ya do...::shakes head::

LMM said:
"Why is it?" he wondered. "Some old lady could fall on the street, and I did it. It gets very old.
Great quote. It reminds me of the old joke - If Chris Webber was seen walking on water one day, the headline the next day would be "Webber Can't Swim"

LMM said:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12433751p-13290010c.html

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Every year, it's Chris Webber.

Headed here or there via trade, it's not really an NBA season unless the Kings forward's name is dropped a dozen or so times, regardless of rumor merit.

"I've heard it so much over the years," Webber said Tuesday night. "I didn't hear that I was coming to Sacramento. (Now) I don't want to trade this for the world."

And why is his name always attached to something?

"When this type of thing happened before (earlier in my career), I would become an introvert. It became a burden. As you get older, you learn to laugh at it. Not making the All-Star team (this season), hearing about chemistry problems, you laugh. I know I still believe in us."

Webber was plenty believable as a player against the Atlanta Hawks, recording 30 points, six rebounds and seven assists.
Wow, thats bad. I mean I know that they are pressed for time and space, but talk about cutting and pasting...He said a lot more.

^^ i'm dying to know what he said. from what you guys have been saying, he had a good interview. i wish Davidson told us more.