Anxious to see Fox play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox will not turn 20 years old until December. His potential growth as a great player is off the charts. I read and agree with Bajaden. I just hope the Kings give him 3 good years and not screw him up. He looks extremely talented for his age.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
For the most part, yeah. Much more chance of getting injured on takes to the hoop. Especially ankle injuries. Then again, Westbrook attacks the rim like no one I've ever seen and he's surprisingly durable while early on Steph Curry looked like his whole career was going to be derailed by ankle injuries despite being largely a perimeter threat. It's hard to say. One thing about Fox is that he doesn't seem to absorb a lot of contact on his drives. He also doesn't land awkwardly. It makes me wince watching Dennis Smith Jr at the end of most of his drives.

So, yeah, in general it seems like Fox would be more of an injury risk given his frame and style of play, but whether he'll really end up missing a lot of games or not is impossible to predict.
Yes, another factor to consider is the ability to take the hit and still maintain balance. Some guys have that and some guys don't.

I saw every single game he played last season, and my only concern is his strength. Not just for aiding his game, but for his health. He's not only fast, he's quick. By that I mean he has a very quick first step off the dribble. Deadly combination! I think his three point shot will improve with time and if he can shoot something like 33% this year from there, I'm happy. He plays both ends of the floor, and I can see where both Hill and Fox might be on the floor together at the end of games in order to get a stop.

Make no mistake though, Hill is probably the best player on the team right now. So barring injuries, he's going to get his minutes. Fox's job is to get experience, get stronger, and improve his jumpshot consistency. He's an underrated passer in my opinion. The only reliable player he had to pass to last season was Monk, so it became mostly a two man show for Kentucky. He'll have more options on the Kings, so I expect his assist numbers to eventually improve. One thing is for sure, he's a lot of fun to watch.
Great post.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm worried about his ankles. They're twigs, and they were constantly dinged in Summer League.

Hopefully that was just bad luck and he stays healthy. I'm super excited to see him go, and I can't wait for this season!!!

The FAR more important attribute that you need from your lead guard is the ability to break down a defense and get to the rim or find the open man on the roll or on the kick-out. Most of the best scoring wing players (LeBron, Giannis, Wall, IT, Westbrook, etc) aren't lock-down shooters or even that good of 3pt shooters; they're just consistent enough to where you can't leave them open. But what they do have in common is they're all amazing at breaking down the defense and getting to the rim when they want.

I think this is what's going to make Fox special. His quickness is 100% elite by NBA standards and I love the fact he took 6 FTA game (.447 FTR, which is outstanding). That bodes well for him to do the same at the next level and be that lead cog to an offense to get it moving.

Yes
I'm worried about his ankles. They're twigs, and they were constantly dinged in Summer League.

Hopefully that was just bad luck and he stays healthy. I'm super excited to see him go, and I can't wait for this season!!!
Not uncommon in NBA.

I mean it really depends on the player... You have twigs like Darren Collison who I don't think was too injury riddled. The Teagues.

Man Fox gets me so excited, he has a lot of similarities to them but a 1000 times better personality and chance to be very good

Everyone that plays basketball like they mean it injures their ankles. It comes with the territory. Some players rehab quicklly and do all the right things to heal up.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Ankles can be decidedly fickle things.

Being beefy could help but entirely-non-twig-ankled Chris Webber missed probably over fifty games in his Kings career due to rolled ankles alone.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just a reminder: It's okay to start new threads. Not everything has to be lumped into one gigantic thread. :) I moved the comments from here that pertained to the first game into the game thread (renamed).

Status
Not open for further replies.