And for one last time...

Before the game Chris sat down with Koz. Here is that interview. Hey, he wasn't a 6er yet, he hadn't yet played ;)

On what the time in Sacramento meant to him and his career

Webb: Some of the best times in my life and professional career. I made friendships that will last the rest of my life. I only have fond memories of Sacramento

Koz:...anything that jumps out at you that you really love that you'll say, you know what that was poignant moment in my life and career?

Webb: As far as basketball?

Koz: Yeah

Webb: I remember the first time Vlade and I met each other in the locker room and I didn't want to play with Vlade. And Vlade said, Cwebb I know what you think about me and he said well you can be the opposite side of me and we can turn it around and we can win and we can do this. And I just remember me him and Jason standing there in training camp laughing and smiling...and up to the last day I can remember laughing and smiling with Mike and those guys. I even saw Mike in my hotel room last night so defiantly going to miss them

Koz: You took out that full page ad in the paper in Sacramento today, what does it mean to say thank you to the people of the capital city?

Webb: It meant a lot. I just wanted to let them know that I recognize those that support me I was just real happy. So, it meant a lot. It was just something that I wanted to do to just say good-bye because I had about 27 hours to say good-bye everybody.

Koz: The goal, what are they here in Philadelphia. Is it the same as it was in Sac, to win a championship?

Webb: Definitely. That's all I can bring. That was our goal when we got in Sac during the lockout year and we made it reality that that can be a real goal and that's my goal here. To get to a championship or to get to the playoffs and then win one.

Koz: Everyone saying you are the best teammate AI ever had, is he the bestyou've ever had, maybe?

Webb: Um...whoa. He's definitely the best scored I've ever had. But, after one day I can't just....he's defiantly one of the best players in the league, so I would say individually yeah. But, I haven't had a guy like---just watching Mike Bibby and talking to Brad today at lunch, you know, you just going to miss those guys.

Koz: What about the historical artifact you have in Sacramento....will you also carry them over here to Philadelphia here

Webb: Definitely. It travels already here in the summer, but we're going to stay in Sacramento and do a lot of our charity. So, we'll still be part of the community.

Koz: I'll choose to speak to everyone in the capital city, thanks for all the great moments you gave us and best of luck in the rest of your career.

Webb: Thank you very much. To the Maloofs, Geoff Petrie, coach to the players, I really appreciated, thank you.

Webb: Um...whoa. He's definitely the best scored I've ever had. But, after one day I can't just....he's defiantly one of the best players in the league, so I would say individually yeah. But, I haven't had a guy like---just watching Mike Bibby and talking to Brad today at lunch, you know, you just going to miss those guys.

Huh???

ReinadelosReys said:
Before the game Chris sat down with Koz. Here is that interview. Hey, he wasn't a 6er yet, he hadn't yet played ;)

On what the time in Sacramento meant to him and his career

Webb: Some of the best times in my life and professional career. I made friendships that will last the rest of my life. I only have fond memories of Sacramento

Koz:...anything that jumps out at you that you really love that you'll say, you know what that was poignant moment in my life and career?

Webb: As far as basketball?

Koz: Yeah

Webb: I remember the first time Vlade and I met each other in the locker room and I didn't want to play with Vlade. And Vlade said, Cwebb I know what you think about me and he said well you can be the opposite side of me and we can turn it around and we can win and we can do this. And I just remember me him and Jason standing there in training camp laughing and smiling...and up to the last day I can remember laughing and smiling with Mike and those guys. I even saw Mike in my hotel room last night so defiantly going to miss them

Koz: You took out that full page ad in the paper in Sacramento today, what does it mean to say thank you to the people of the capital city?

Webb: It meant a lot. I just wanted to let them know that I recognize those that support me I was just real happy. So, it meant a lot. It was just something that I wanted to do to just say good-bye because I had about 27 hours to say good-bye everybody.

Koz: The goal, what are they here in Philadelphia. Is it the same as it was in Sac, to win a championship?

Webb: Definitely. That's all I can bring. That was our goal when we got in Sac during the lockout year and we made it reality that that can be a real goal and that's my goal here. To get to a championship or to get to the playoffs and then win one.

Koz: Everyone saying you are the best teammate AI ever had, is he the bestyou've ever had, maybe?

Koz: What about the historical artifact you have in Sacramento....will you also carry them over here to Philadelphia here

Webb: Definitely. It travels already here in the summer, but we're going to stay in Sacramento and do a lot of our charity. So, we'll still be part of the community.

Koz: I'll choose to speak to everyone in the capital city, thanks for all the great moments you gave us and best of luck in the rest of your career.

Webb: Thank you very much. To the Maloofs, Geoff Petrie, coach to the players, I really appreciated, thank you.

I miss him. :(

And because I am feeling nice ;), this was the tribute they played during half-time. For all you not able to view it, this is the best I could do:

Narrated by Gary Gerould

It was a blockbuster then and certainly it was a block buster now.

[audio of a newscaster saying "Chris Webber is traded" as the headline is shown on the screen]

In the time the enigmatic superstar arrived the city of Sacramento was on the map

[clips of Chris's contract signing celebration...people cheering, Chris saying" We love you and we're going to bring a championship]

While his talent was dynamic and undeniable

[clip of Webb doing what he does]

With incomparable passion

[clips of Webb being the superstar as Grant adds "oh boy Webber to Brad Miller" play-by-play]

Automatic elbow jumper

[clip of Webb hitting a jumper to win the game vs. the Magic two seasons ago, while audio of Gary Gerould sounds "And he scores it, Chris Webber...]

And that stylish ability to electrify

[more clips, with Grant in the background "Oh! If you don't like that you don't like Kings basketball, Chris Webber]

It was his complexities as a person that made CWebb so very intriguing

[still shot of Webb sitting in the lockerroom]

Certainly he wasn't perfect

[clip of him walking out of the court house in Detroit...the saying "I would personally apologize to you]

Nor infallible

[clips of his lockerroom tirade back in '02]

But there was a rare nobility in this King

[another still shot]

With a magnetic smile

[clips of Chris with a group of kids from his "CWebb crew" group saying "one two three cheese" posing for a picture]

And a legendary scowl

[clips, of well of course that scowl we all grown to love...with Audio from Gary "Chris Webber's got the glare and bark going right now" ]

His life was forged by strong principles

[clip of an interview with Webb saying "I would say faith is my foundation for everything]

He lived with a true sense of humanity

[clips of Webb with kids showing his collection of historical artifacts at the Crocker Art Museum...Asking the kids "can any of you tell me who this is right here?" the kids answer back "Martin Luther King"...then audio of MLK I have a dream speech...then audio of Webb saying "There is only one race and that's the human race" ]

Chris Webber leaves a legacy in Sacramento of more than just wins and losses, he has been a reflection of our team

[clips of the Webb and the guys]

Our franchise

[more clips]

Our City

[more clips]

[clips of Chris addressing the crowd from the 2002-2003 playoffs after he hurt his knee telling the Arco faithful "And we want to tell you how much we love and appreciate you and how much we need you. And this is definitely the best basketball city, the best fans and the best arena in the world" ]

We rode the wave of excitement

[clips of a game winner with audio from Gary-" Chris-big-game-Webber has delivered again]

And disappointment

[ clips of the fateful day in Dallas, with audio from Bill Walton- the worst of all possible worlds for Sacramento" ]

Rehab

[clips of Webb rehabbing]

And return

[clips of Webb returning to the line up last season with ARCO public address announcer the words from that night "He's back!...Weeeeber!"]

While he tried to be Superman

[clips of him from that game vs. the Pacers where he went for 50+ and 20+..with audio from Grant-"And how about Webber"]

Sometimes Clark Kent was all we truly wanted

[clips of Webb interacting with fans after a game]

But at the end of the day one thing we've all learned, the only constant is change

[audio from Geoff Petrie from the Press Conference announcing the trade]

Thanks for those memories CWebb

[clips of that Houston game where Webb hits that big three to send it to overtime, with Audio from Grant" WEBBER! HE DID IT AGAIN, I DON'T BELIEVE IT"]

They'll certainly last forever

[clips from throughout his career as a Kings to send the video off]

[clips from Webb at the airport saying "I loved my time here and I'm going to miss everybody. It was a wonderful ride, it was something that if you experience once it your life you're lucky"....and then Webb walking to the plane]

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Reina, you are unbelievable!

I have the tape of the game and I'm going to sit down after I get back home tomorrow and watch it again, with attention to the halftime show.

Thanks again!

Buh-bye! I'm on my way to Sacramento!

I remember really disliking Chris Webber during the early years, but he grows on you. He clearly is a fine person. I think the move was good for Sacramento, but I will miss Chris just like I miss Vlade, Doug, and Funderburke. We also miss Hedo, Jon Barry, Scott, Jimmy, and other guys. Basketball is a little like life itself, but at least these guys are not dead.

ReinadelosReys said:
They'll certainly last forever

[clips from throughout his career as a Kings to send the video off]

[clips from Webb at the airport saying "I loved my time here and I'm going to miss everybody. It was a wonderful ride, it was something that if you experience once it your life you're luck"....and then Webb walking to the plane]
I loved this part of the tribute where he's walking off the court in slow motion while this audio is playing...for lack of better words, it really is touching.

Thanks much Reina..you provide a great service for us fans who don't get all the tv and media coverage here in the outer regions. I will truly miss C Webb and I think it should be obvious to everyone who is willing to be open minded about Webber, that he grew so much as a person while he was in Sac town. Best of Luck to you Chris!!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
quick dog said:
I remember really disliking Chris Webber during the early years, but he grows on you. He clearly is a fine person. I think the move was good for Sacramento, but I will miss Chris just like I miss Vlade, Doug, and Funderburke. We also miss Hedo, Jon Barry, Scott, Jimmy, and other guys. Basketball is a little like life itself, but at least these guys are not dead.
Don't feel bad Webber did very little to make himself likeable the first year. He was pouty prima dona in GS and by the time he got to Washington he became an off court distraction and side show. He complained about Sac when he first got here. I could go on but you get the drift. It was what he BECAME in Sac that earned my respect. Macy said it best when he told his son Sac was good for him and he gave back to the City that turned his career arrond and showed him love. That is the way I will always think of him.

That just got a tear into my eye. Wow; his quote on him and vlade and in the locker room when they first met, wow. I miss the good ol' day of 01-03 seasons, just hope that this new era can be just as promising. (hopefully when chris and vlade retire we can give them a front office job, cuz they are true kings)

HndsmCelt said:
Don't feel bad Webber did very little to make himself likeable the first year. He was pouty prima dona in GS and by the time he got to Washington he became an off court distraction and side show. He complained about Sac when he first got here. I could go on but you get the drift. It was what he BECAME in Sac that earned my respect. Macy said it best when he told his son Sac was good for him and he gave back to the City that turned his career arrond and showed him love. That is the way I will always think of him.
I feel he's already given this town his all, since this team and SacTown have given him a lot. Rick, Vlade, and fans helped him grow....

Not sure how much left in him for another city.

music in that halftime tribute was from the "Whalerider" soundtrack by Lisa Gerrard and also the "Gladiator" soundtrack by Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard.

I'm a big Lisa Gerrard fan.

quick dog said:
I think the move was good for Sacramento, but I will miss Chris just like I miss Vlade, Doug, and Funderburke. We also miss Hedo, Jon Barry, Scott, Jimmy, and other guys. Basketball is a little like life itself, but at least these guys are not dead.
Great post. I feel the same. If we ever win the chamionship in Sacramento, these guys will all be a part of it, even if it's only in the hearts and minds of all the fans.

yeah! thanks reina!

it's so sad to see webb go!!! god i just want him to be happy.

i wish him all the luck and happiness in the world!

one more thing, it's chris' 32nd birthday this tuesday (march 1). it sucks that the guys can't be with him. they are such great friends. remember last year when the guys pulled a joke on chris for his birthday and then at the end, doug just went out screaming "i love this team!" that was nice.

piksi

Hall of Famer
LMM said:
one more thing, it's chris' 32nd birthday this tuesday (march 1). it sucks that the guys can't be with him. they are such great friends. remember last year when the guys pulled a joke on chris for his birthday and then at the end, doug just went out screaming "i love this team!" that was nice.
well, they can win a game for him

riena and ting THANK YOU!!!!!!!! that was BEAUTIFUL!!!

and pixelpusher, WORD! that was a GREAT choice of music, i love lisa gerrard, and that is one of the better tracks on the gladiator soundtrack.

SacKings384 said:
Chris (at the time) didn't get a chance to play with Iverson yet, so I guess he couldn't quite say who is the better teammate. Caught him off-guard a little, perhaps

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Elise10 said:
Chris (at the time) didn't get a chance to play with Iverson yet, so I guess he couldn't quite say who is the better teammate. Caught him off-guard a little, perhaps
Oh, more than that I think -- the correct answer was of course "yes", but Webb didn't want to insult his old teammates just like that so he tried to doge arouond it.

Maybe he hesitated cause he wasn't sure if the "best teammate" meant play wise or mentally. I know that the Sac teammates, especially Bibby will keep in touch with him. They had such a great bond.

I cried my eyes out during the Half-Time special, and the sad gladiator music just made it worse. All those memories were put together beautifully though, and Chris said my favorite quote ever..."There's no race, but the human race."-That is beautiful.

And what is the music video or something he was in? I'd never seen that before.

the music video is on yahoo launch
just search fo chris webber - its a rap video, he owns a studio (humility records) and his song was actually somewhat popular in the mid 90s (the "gangsta" one)