Ailene Voisin: Jackson chose the wrong California team to coach

Ailene Voisin: Jackson chose the wrong California team to coach

By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Sports Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Wednesday, June 15, 2005

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - As it turns out, not even Phil Jackson wins them all. He lost the NBA championship series - and his job - in this very Palace a year ago. He lost a few of his closest friends (at least temporarily) with a locker room exposé a few months after that. And now, surely, he has lost his mind.

Back to the Shaqless Lakers? Back to Kobe? There are challenges, and then there is clueless.

There are visions, and then there are blind spots.

Jackson took the wrong job.

The Kings are more appealing on paper, more promising in the box scores. Be sure to check back next January, when Kobe is dribbling the Lakers to another slow death, Lamar Odom is grumbling about shots, Vlade Divac is clutching his ailing back, Shaq is powering the Miami Heat to the title, and the celebrities who rally 'round ever so briefly create gridlock with their collective dash for the exits.

In fact, of all the organizations that approached Jackson during his one-year sabbatical - virtually every team with a vacancy (Portland, Cleveland, Orlando, New York, Minnesota, etc.), and a few willing to create one - the Kings offered the most balanced roster, the most accomplished general manager, the most loyal fan base and an arena that creaks and leaks, but unlike the atmosphere of sterile Staples Center never is confused with a church.

If he missed the high-stakes game that badly, Jackson should have rolled the dice with the Maloofs, matched wits with Geoff Petrie, taught that triangle offense to Mike Bibby, Peja Stojakovic, Brad Miller and whatever assemblage of Kings takes the court next season. And imagine with someone insisting that the Kings play a little defense? Or, OK, a lot of defense?

It would have been interesting, even fascinating, the small-market team and its town. It would have been like paying off a debt - Phil still owes the Kings one for stealing out of Arco with the Western Conference championship in 2002 - and, in another sense, like paying it forward. Jackson's political aspirations only would have been enhanced in the capital city, and one can only assume, his prospects for governor, senator, congressman, or even water board chairman, fueled by the Democratic fund-raising mechanisms of the Maloofs. And they tried, they really tried.

"I thought it was necessary that we at least talk to him," Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said Tuesday, "because he is probably the best basketball coach around. Geoff (Petrie) talked to him for a good length of time. But he was always the Lakers' to lose. We knew that from the beginning. We knew it was a long shot."

Actually, it was a pretty short list, and not always such a long shot. In January, before Rudy Tomjanovich resigned, Jeanie Buss, daughter of the Lakers' owner, was nudging her boyfriend onto that one-hour flight to Sacramento. And according to sources close to the situation, after Jackson returned from his spring vacation to Australia, he surveyed his opportunities, almost immediately removed Orlando and Cleveland from the list of contenders, and then began working a room that included Sacramento.

Portland and Minnesota never gained much momentum. Chicago - and had Scott Skiles left in a huff, that would have been attractive - never materialized. That left three choices, none of them ideal, none of them featuring a Jordan-Pippen, Yao-McGrady or even Shaq-Kobe on-court combination.

The New York Knicks were the sentimental favorite, the allure of being the club for which he played, and in a major metropolitan area. But the Knicks have Stephon Marbury, wacky ownership, and a hellish salary-cap situation. The Kings, well, everyone knows about the Kings (small market, lousy arena, no superstars). Then there were the Lakers, far from perfect, but forever the favorites because of familiarity, salary, and, apparently, Jeanie.

Never underestimate the power of a woman, particularly when she's the boss' daughter. Ring or no ring, Jackson credited Jeanie with keeping the romance alive - his and hers, his and her father's Lakers - throughout the process.

Kobe is another matter. Coaching Kobe is a nightmare, as Jackson so bluntly stated in his bestseller, the one that exposed all that ailed the Lakers during their soap opera 2003-04 season. There was Kobe, the individual. There was Shaq, overweight, out of sorts. There was Gary Payton, a pain in the fleshiest parts of the anatomy. There was Karl Malone, built like a brick but too old to last. There was owner Jerry Buss, refusing to extend the coach's contract, leaving Jackson unappreciated, and soon enough, unemployed.

Yet Jackson is here again, already working on his lines, perhaps preparing for that sequel. "I can't think of anything more intriguing that was offered to me," he said during his televised news conference. "It wasn't about the money (nah!). It was about the intrigue of this situation. ... It's a story of reconciliation, redemption. It's a story of reuniting. (There) are a lot of things in this that make for a wonderful opportunity for the team, for the Lakers and myself."

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/13068037p-13913516c.html

I absolutely wholeheartedly DISAGREE with Voisin!! Phil made the right choice for him...and not being coached by PJ is the best thing for the Kings...IMO!!

EmKingsFan4 said:
I absolutely wholeheartedly DISAGREE with Voisin!! Phil made the right choice for him...and not being coached by PJ is the best thing for the Kings...IMO!!
I dont know about Phil NOT coaching the Kings is the best thing, we'll never know that now, but IMO I think that, and I have to watch how I word this, I think that Ms. Voison is totally right on the mark. I think the only reason Phil signed this is this is his last coaching contract, and that Buss offered him the fort after this one, President of the team, all that. Plus he is still engaged to Buss's daughter, so I'm sure that had an underlying factor in it too. Sucks for us though, I really was hoping the Zen Master would come here and win us a couple rings, which I think he was capable of doing. Oh well, I bet Rick Adelman is saying like 'Damn, you guys REALLY love me now, dont ya??'

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Phil could not have delivered rings to Sacto without turnign the entire roster on its head, and maybe not even then.

Contrary to Ms. Voison's opinion -- largely based as always on what she wanted to happen (and gee, I feel so very sorry for her diappointment -- breaks my little ole heart), not on what SHOULD have happened, the Lakers may actually be better set up for Phil right NOW, let alone after they start making moves wiht earnest now that he is back.

Again, Phil has ALWAYS coached teams with VERY similar personnel in VERY similar roles. The cast of characters is well known -- the multiple superstars who control the game and can post (and hence run the Triangle, otherwise known as the triple post offense). The roleplaying PG who brings the ball up court and spots up. Phil likes it better when he is tall and rangy to help on defense. The defensive minded PF to take care of the dirty work. The three point shooting roleplayers off the bench. Etc. Etc.

Ignoring agendas, the Lakers are better constructed for Phil than the Kings, and he has already chased out the resident genius GM down there and will have a relatively free hand to find the rest of the pieces. But already in his absence the Lakers just kept right on building a team in his image, even with the huge loss of talent. He already has one superstar, and he has a 2nd guy with the type of skills that fit his system beautifully if Phil can find a way to motivate him. He's got a roleplaying spot up PG, albeit obviously a less talented one. He's got an aging defensive minded PF (Grant) who would fit nicely if his knee holds up. Otherwise he's got Chris Mihm, who might fill the PF role himself if Phil can get him focused defensively. And he's got the crafty old postup center to play Cartwright/Longley, if the back holds up. Its not perfect by any stretch, but the Lakers look like a simply less talented version of the teams Phil normally coaches, while the Kings are completely wrong for him at almost every position.

Now throw in money, a girl, the media he so adores etc., and this is a no brainer.

Bricklayer said:
Phil could not have delivered rings to Sacto without turnign the entire roster on its head, and maybe not even then.

Contrary to Ms. Voison's opinion -- largely based as always on what she wanted to happen (and gee, I feel so very sorry for her diappointment -- breaks my little ole heart), not on what SHOULD have happened, the Lakers may actually be better set up for Phil right NOW, let alone after they start making moves wiht earnest now that he is back.

Again, Phil has ALWAYS coached teams with VERY similar personnel in VERY similar roles. The cast of characters is well known -- the multiple superstars who control the game and can post (and hence run the Triangle, otherwise known as the triple post offense). The roleplaying PG who brings the ball up court and spots up. Phil likes it better when he is tall and rangy to help on defense. The defensive minded PF to take care of the dirty work. The three point shooting roleplayers off the bench. Etc. Etc.

Ignoring agendas, the Lakers are better constructed for Phil than the Kings, and he has already chased out the resident genius GM down there and will have a relatively free hand to find the rest of the pieces. But already in his absence the Lakers just kept right on building a team in his image, even with the huge loss of talent. He already has one superstar, and he has a 2nd guy with the type of skills that fit his system beautifully if Phil can find a way to motivate him. He's got a roleplaying spot up PG, albeit obviously a less talented one. He's got an aging defensive minded PF (Grant) who would fit nicely if his knee holds up. Otherwise he's got Chris Mihm, who might fill the PF role himself if Phil can get him focused defensively. And he's got the crafty old postup center to play Cartwright/Longley, if the back holds up. Its not perfect by any stretch, but the Lakers look like a simply less talented version of the teams Phil normally coaches, while the Kings are completely wrong for him at almost every position.

Now throw in money, a girl, the media he so adores etc., and this is a no brainer.
Two things:

1) Brick, no matter how many times you guide people to the light about Phil's coaching abilities, some will never look into the light, even when you shine it directly into their eyes (again and again and again).

2) Why on Earth is the Bee paying Voison to be in MI right now? To follow the Finals? I'd think only picking up the AP wire would be much more valuable. Could've sold the spot wasted on the column with advertising and made a little money even.

Phil showed how good of a coach he was when the Bulls won 55 games the year after Jordan retired in 93'. Jordan was replaced by the legendary Pete Meyers and the Bulls were a Hugh Hollins b.s. call away from getting back to the finals without the greatest player to ever play the game. It would have been nice to have a coach who had the balls to sit down one of his players when they blow a defensive assignment.

Anyone see the Shaq interview on ESPN last night? He really wanted Jackson to come to Sacramento. He mentioned the Maloofs and and himself were going to get him even more money than the Lakers were offering him. He also thought that Sacramento was a better fit with Bibby, Peja, and Miller.

The only coach the REALLY sits his star or even MAIN players (unless he just does not like them) is Pop. The last I checked, he was unavailable. I do not recall Phil, and I agree that he is a great coach, ever sitting his prized players. Remember, he prefers to "let them play through it."

Bricklayer

PFFFT!! said:
Anyone see the Shaq interview on ESPN last night? He really wanted Jackson to come to Sacramento. He mentioned the Maloofs and and himself were going to get him even more money than the Lakers were offering him. He also thought that Sacramento was a better fit with Bibby, Peja, and Miller.
This is the same man who declared that he had slept with Cindy Crawford and claimed that Sacramento was not the capitol of California. Why am I not waitng with bated breath on his every word?

In any case, clearly just more of his childish vendetta against the Lakers and Kobe. It really is amazing how a 33yr old man can continue to act like he does. Its as if he never left grade school (and I'll just ignore the obvious dig).

Bricklayer

KKSloga said:
Phil showed how good of a coach he was when the Bulls won 55 games the year after Jordan retired in 93'. Jordan was replaced by the legendary Pete Meyers and the Bulls were a Hugh Hollins b.s. call away from getting back to the finals without the greatest player to ever play the game. It would have been nice to have a coach who had the balls to sit down one of his players when they blow a defensive assignment.
That was, IMHO, maybe hsi most impressive coaching performance. And even so, let's see, he had a HOF SF, an All-Star PF (Grant went to the game that year), and the consensus best palyer in Europe at that time. And he won 55 and got knocked out in the SECOND round (not the ECF). A nice coaching performance, but hardly one that proves he can go win the whole enchilada without the most dominant player in the game on his roster. Rick wins 50+ every year himself without the HOFers and he gets disrespected over it.

"and that Buss offered him the fort after this one, President of the team, all that. Plus he is still engaged to Buss's daughter, so I'm sure that had an underlying factor in it too."

Buss did not offer him "President of the Team" and he is not engaged to Jeanie..not for her lack of trying though. His title is "head coach " and that is it.

PFFFT!! said:

That was funny...said since PJ got $10 mil a year, he could have gotten the Maloofs to give him $12 mil...but the part when they asked if he has any plans to speak to Kobe...shack was like; Excuse me??? i dont know who that is...never met him before....:D

I'm not sure what the Maloofs offered but maybe they should've thrown in Voisin. How could Jackson have passed up his own personal hack on the leading city Newspaper?

Ailene's column was really nothing more than ANOTHER dig at Adelman.

Phil is gone.

Rick is the Kings coach again next season.

It must pain her to no end...

O

ONEZERO

PFFFT!! said:
I saw that too.

I know shaq hates kobe for ratting him out, but shaq looked really childish with his responses to the reporters questions about ever talking to kobe again. He was saying, "I know a lot of names in my head, but that names doesn't sound familiar. I don't know anyone by that name." I still laughed about it though.

EmKingsFan4 said:
I couldn't agree with you more SactoGreg! Why does she dislike Rick so much?

She doesn't have Chris to hate on anymore so now it's Rick. I was waiting on her to say something about this situation. I just don't know why the Bee keeps her.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Whew. I was worried there for a while, after Voisin actually filed TWO stories without blatant digs at Rick Adelman. I'm so thankful she's back to normal - and her stick has been sharpened again.

Now I can sleep at night. Voison is attacking Rick Adelman; all is right with the world.

T

thesanityannex

EmKingsFan4 said:
I completely disagree with the first part (Phil), and completely agree with the second part.(kings)

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Phil shouldve taken the Cavs job but it was all about the money.
Why shouldn't Phil take the job he WANTS to take?

And besides, Cleveland is a ****ty city in which to live/work. I have a relative who was there looking to buy real estate and he said it's dead, high unemployment rate.

Is it just me or are Voison's slashes on Adelman getting more and more blatant? Sure, she never actually mentions his name here, but she basically devotes an entire article to whining about Jackson not coming to the Kings

KKSloga said:
ECSFs and it was 94. You hear me, Sloga?! I'm after you, Sloga!

Last edited: