A Report From Baghdad

I mentioned that my grand-daughter Valerie is in Iraq with the U.S. Army, 3rd Bat, 4th ID. She enlisted last year, went through basic, then advanced training at Fort Campbell, KY. She is a helicopter mechanic (Blackhawk) and doubles as a door-gunner. One is never sure how much to believe about the goals and adventures of Valerie, but she recently left a cryptic message with her mother. her mother is also in the Army. Anyway, I just received a call from my daughter-in-law Army lifer.

Apparently, Valerie has been repeatedly volunteering for airborne missions over Baghdad. As I said, she is a door gunner in her spare time. Her mother and the rest of us are very nervous about this, but any admonition to stop volunteering for dangerous missions would unfortunately be met with the opposite reaction. Valerie is very hard-headed.

Two weeks ago, Valerie's helicopter, while flyng low over Baghdad on another volunteer mission, came under fire from the ground. The details are a bit sketchy, but apparently her chopper was hit by an RPB or something. They completed the mission without going down, but Valerie and another soldier were hit with shrapnel. Valerie received minor schrapnel wounds to the eye and arm. Both of the soldiers are doing fine. As a side note, she stayed at her gun and returned fire throughout the incident. She apparently claims to have fired in the general direction of the assault and inadvertentlyy killed at least one cow. I suspect they never really saw the insurgents who fired on them.

Valerie has been too busy to communicate much, but the word is that she is still volunteering for missions over Baghdad, and will re-enlist ahead of time. She apparently want to return to the 101st Airborne, and may have an opportunity to become a commissioned officer.

First, she was being chased by a two-pound Camel Spider on the tarmac, now it's shrapnel wounds over Baghdad. We all wish she would stop volunteering for combat missions. Her mother is going crazy. There is little doubt in my mind that she will return from Iraq a much different person.

Thought some of you might be interested.

Thanks for that story quick_dog. Reading something like that really puts in a perspective our everyday life's "problems". I was nearly hit by shrapnels quite a few times during the time I lived in Sarajevo so I can kind of share the sentiment. Still, I admire everybody who puts their lives in danger to protect our liberties.

Wish Valerie all the best and a safe return.

Prayer for all our girls and boys....

As AMERICANS, we are all proud of the fine MEN and WOMEN who serve OUR COUNTRY! We pray for their safe return and the success of their mission!

QD, thanks for the update on Valerie's exploits. I've wondered what she's been up to since being chased by the camel spider. She's ermmm quite fearless, isn't she? I truly can't imagine.

My thoughts and prayers for her safety and your family's sanity while she's in Iraq.

Please let it all be over soon.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
So, Valerie has earned herself a Purple Heart. Although I know you are extremely proud of her, I do not envy you all the worry.

My sister and brother-in-law are currently in AZ visiting my nephew who is stationed at Davis Montham AFB (sp?). His unit will be deployed by August or September.

My prayers also continue to go out to all our service men and women around the world as they serve wherever duty calls them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
qd - Thanks for the Valerie update. I admire her courage and determination and, having met you, I think I know where she gets the stubbornness! ;)

I'm proud to know her grandfather and I hope you'll convey to her how much I respect and admire her for the job she's doing over there.