2023 TRADE DEADLINE MEGATHREAD

Yes its injuries, and its height and body type.....taller players are inherently heavier and experience more loading cumulatively and by later years more leg/knee problems. Suns are gambling on winning this and next 1 or 2 seasons with this trade banking on Durant's health. They will be somewhat deflated if injuries (think Kawhi Leonard and Clippers)
This is more short sighted than the Clippers as George and Kawhi are younger.

This is more like the LA Rams…throw all picks in for a chance at one ring then kinda be screwed for the next 5-6 years. Basically what the new Suns owner is doing, win at least one chip in the next 3 years and then be okay with being trash after and think of that as the cost of winning the chip. For a team that’s never a title , it’s worth it ofc if they do it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wow. I don't know why that would scrap the deal. I would have assumed they really wanted Payton back for next season because them getting him back wasn't some kind of league altering deal anyway.
Issue for them is that Poole’s new contract kicks in next year so they’re going to lose Draymond to free agency this summer. This was their last real year to be Capital C contenders and now GPII is pretty much out until the playoffs

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Agree four picks is nuts but feel the Grizzlies will group will stay competitive long enough for those picks to be less attractive than some other teams.
Even if they're all in the mid-20s a smart team should extract good value out of them, which creates a huge paradox once we have involved the Nets in this equation.

Beggars can't be choosers but I mean, wouldn't Holmes be a better option at this point? Maybe not, Ibaka can shoot I guess.
Apparently Holmes is going to rot on the Kings bench for most of his contract. I'd have been playing him all along and certainly after he showed good form in LA. The excuse that an NBA team can't run some pick and roll for him, if they run something else for Sabonis, is not a good one.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Apparently Holmes is going to rot on the Kings bench for most of his contract. I'd have been playing him all along and certainly after he showed good form in LA. The excuse that an NBA team can't run some pick and roll for him, if they run something else for Sabonis, is not a good one.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. You've got to have some flexibility for personnel, and running some PNR sets to give Sabonis a breather shouldn't be difficult to do. o_O

I honestly don't understand it either. We complain about Davion not putting up good offensive production, and I would think a pnr threat would benefit him as well

I’m glad we were at least trying to make the right move. I saw some replies mad we didn’t add more value, but I don’t think it’s as easy as “just offer another second.” His contract was the right fit for that 3-team deal, too.
LA probably hard argued for his inclusion in the deal and I’m sure Utah would rather have a first from them over a few seconds from us.

Last edited: