2022 Summer League Roster

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
With the draft over, it's time for Kingsfans to undergo their next existential crisis: The summer league roster!

I'm assuming Queta is playing. Same with Keegan.

Ellis (a full two-way guy?), Horne, and Rhoden are playing. Guessing we'll see a handful of Stockton guys up as well (Murkey, Matt Coleman, DJ Steward).

For his sake, I kinda hope Emanuel Terry has an opportunity with another team that doesn't already have four other centers on their main roster. If not, I could see him on the roster as well.

That leaves like five or six more slots to fill. Who do you think we'll see?

The Kings have signed Jai Smith 19 y/o 6'9" well-built and bouncy high motor Forward from the Overtime Elite league for SL

He was a player who went from 3-star recruit to having his stock explode and all the big colleges were interested. he ended up with 50+ D1 offers.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Kings have signed Jai Smith 19 y/o 6'9" well-built and bouncy high motor Forward from the Overtime Elite league for SL

He was a player who went from 3-star recruit to having his stock explode and all the big colleges were interested. he ended up with 50+ D1 offers.
Holy crap! it’s this kid! I’ve been wondering what the heck happenned to him (saw this video when it got suggested to me next to the Harry Giles high school mix tape).

With Davion/Murray leading the way, I expect a run at another title!
Oh god, I can see them absolutely tearing up the SL, causing a 2-man controversy between Mitchell + Murray > Fox + Sabonis.

I think Davion said that he won't be playing in the SL, but he'll be around the guys. I hope we can get a legit PG. Murray is going to feast if we have someone who can get him the ball.

Oh god, I can see them absolutely tearing up the SL, causing a 2-man controversy between Mitchell + Murray > Fox + Sabonis.

I think Davion said that he won't be playing in the SL, but he'll be around the guys. I hope we can get a legit PG. Murray is going to feast if we have someone who can get him the ball.
Someone better give Pooh Jeter a call.

Entity

Hall of Famer

So what happened to him?

dude decided to go to a start up academy that completely failed to help any of its members draft stocks. Jean Montero wet from a potential first rounder to undrafted in their system.
Well they do have the Thompson Twins who are projected very high by everyone in next years draft.

They've recently added Naasir Cunningham who's the unanimous #1 player in the class of 2024 (though he elected not to take a salary so he can keep his college options open).

They have a PG named Bryson Warren there that I think might have a great deal of potential, personal favorite of mine.

A Lot of NBA players are invested into it, and a lot of ex-NBA players/staff are working at it. I'm pretty sure bigtime current NBA players go and speak to the players n give them tips and stuff..

But to your not wrong about what you said, this first class was a major dud, some of the feedback you could find on Montero in these days leading up to the draft would lead you to believe they didnt showcase him in the proper manner (and the word was scouts were confused about ultimately what his role would be in the NBA -- cuz he's kinda like a combo guard, but hes not a great shooter and he's 6'1" maybe 6'2").. Plus they had an athletic 6'9" forward named Kok Yat who doesnt seem to have signed anywhere yet, I wonder whats gonna happen with him..

FWIW - the G-Leagues crop they picked - Aside from Dyson Daniels - Underperformed expectations bigtime as well, with Hardy going from "the top guard in the class" to the 2nd round and Michael Foster going undrafted.

Last edited:
So what happened to him?
Well he certainly was in the weight room everyday.. He has a solid frame big legs and stuff.. He was never going to be a guy projected really high in the draft anywhere he landed (IMHO) he's a roleplayer type and big energy rebounder, lob target, dirty work kind of player.

Which IMO is great for the Summer League where teams sorta get proverbially punched in the mouth then phone it in.. The Kings are seemingly stacking this SL roster with guys who have a bit of a meanstreak to them, Keon Ellis is confident and pesky and Rhoden is tenacious. Jeriah Horne is a big strong player as well trying to fit into the 3-n-d mold.

Getting rid of Jones because of Queta would be absolutely asinine.
Roster crunch and the overall value of the position behind our best player who is going to be getting 32-36 MPG. We have Len, we invested a high 2nd in Queta. We still have to find somewhere for Holmes to go. Carrying 4 back-up true C's is just dumb.

Lyles can flex down, Metu can flex down, I think Murray will be able to flex down as well. I like Jones a lot, but unless we have quite a few bigger fish to fry than retaining him. If he's free (like $2mil/season), then yeah find a way to get off Len and keep him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Roster crunch and the overall value of the position behind our best player who is going to be getting 32-36 MPG. We have Len, we invested a high 2nd in Queta. We still have to find somewhere for Holmes to go. Carrying 4 back-up true C's is just dumb.

Lyles can flex down, Metu can flex down, I think Murray will be able to flex down as well. I like Jones a lot, but unless we have quite a few bigger fish to fry than retaining him. If he's free (like $2mil/season), then yeah find a way to get off Len and keep him.
The Warriors won a championship carrying one 6’9” guy on their active roster. I’m not sure Brown is even gonna use our backup bigs as it is.