2022 Summer League Roster

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Jones isn't going to be the difference when it comes to anything. He's just a wasted roster spot IMO. Kings need an upgrade bad.

Same with Metu.
Queta is a major downgrade from Jones. He's not remotely close to Jones at this point, nor is he close to Len. Nor should he even be on the roster unless in the summer league he looks like an entirely different, new and fab upgrade of himself from last year.

I'm with you on Metu, although he's shown me he has more to work with than Queta, which is probably not saying much.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Roster crunch and the overall value of the position behind our best player who is going to be getting 32-36 MPG. We have Len, we invested a high 2nd in Queta. We still have to find somewhere for Holmes to go. Carrying 4 back-up true C's is just dumb.

Lyles can flex down, Metu can flex down, I think Murray will be able to flex down as well. I like Jones a lot, but unless we have quite a few bigger fish to fry than retaining him. If he's free (like $2mil/season), then yeah find a way to get off Len and keep him.
Forget Len. He's a waste of space just like Queta. If Queta doesn't show marked improvement in summer league, he should be sent packing. It makes not one iota of sense to keep someone because you've invested in them; it's like keeping a stock because you've invested in it even though it's a crappy stock: Cut Your Losses. If Queta doesn't show great improvement in summer league, get rid of them both and have a roster that makes sense for winning. To me, it's beyond ridiculous to not keep the one player who has shown marked improvement on your roster - Jones. That's a head scratcher, which sends the message: We at the Kings hate players that improve; bye, bye Jones, we're keeping players that haven't produced so you can go play elsewhere. Great culture builder, that is.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Warriors won a championship carrying one 6’9” guy on their active roster. I’m not sure Brown is even gonna use our backup bigs as it is.
If they can shoot, he probably is. Otherwise, ??? Looney and Greene aren't the greatest of shooters though.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Does anyone remember that Jones actually hit a few 3s last year? He, unlike Holmes, was willing, and in many cases able to take and make them. If they don't keep Jones, they better have a major upgrade at the backup center position. Otherwise, it's totally stupid, like trading your 2nd round pick for one in 2028.

Last edited:
If Holmes isn't moved, any of Metu/Jones/Queta/Len/whoever doesn't matter. Towel wavers. I'd keep Metu as a 4/5 deep guy. I would honestly be surprised at this point for Queta to make the team, I think his hopes hinge on his performance in SL.

If Holmes isn't moved, any of Metu/Jones/Queta/Len/whoever doesn't matter. Towel wavers. I'd keep Metu as a 4/5 deep guy. I would honestly be surprised at this point for Queta to make the team, I think his hopes hinge on his performance in SL.
His hopes hinge on Mike Brown seeing something in him.

At least he has a coach who might make the investment this year. Woodard and Ramsey never even had a shot.

His hopes hinge on Mike Brown seeing something in him.

At least he has a coach who might make the investment this year. Woodard and Ramsey never even had a shot.
If the Kings were this aggressive in moving draft picks to keep a roster spot open I'd put his chances on a mega SL performace that allows him to jump the guaranteed guys. This team shouldn't be going in to the next year with 7-8 4/5 types. I'm hoping they try some Otto Porter stuff with Murray and put him in there as a mismatch 5 at times.

If the Kings were this aggressive in moving draft picks to keep a roster spot open I'd put his chances on a mega SL performace that allows him to jump the guaranteed guys. This team shouldn't be going in to the next year with 7-8 4/5 types. I'm hoping they try some Otto Porter stuff with Murray and put him in there as a mismatch 5 at times.
I think we're all rightfully skeptical about free agency but we do have to be careful with how we move these expirings to insure we don't just consolidate a few enders into a bad contract without getting a major asset back.

Queta is a major downgrade from Jones. He's not remotely close to Jones at this point, nor is he close to Len. Nor should he even be on the roster unless in the summer league he looks like an entirely different, new and fab upgrade of himself from last year.

I'm with you on Metu, although he's shown me he has more to work with than Queta, which is probably not saying much.
I just don't care about keeping Jones. He's just another in a long list of players that Kings fans end up liking because he's just marginally better than some other player that we've got. He's got some skills but he's not the difference in winning or losing and definitely not the difference in making the playoffs or not.

We are probably in trouble of Jones or Metu are getting big minutes again. An upgrade is needed badly.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just don't care about keeping Jones. He's just another in a long list of players that Kings fans end up liking because he's just marginally better than some other player that we've got. He's got some skills but he's not the difference in winning or losing and definitely not the difference in making the playoffs or not.

We are probably in trouble of Jones or Metu are getting big minutes again. An upgrade is needed badly.
So you're answer is to keep Queta?:D Obviously, none of these guys are franchise players, but I'd rather get marginally better than worse. Or is your vision a complete tear-down and try to get into the top three in the draft next year?

So you're answer is to keep Queta?:D Obviously, none of these guys are franchise players, but I'd rather get marginally better than worse. Or is your vision a complete tear-down and try to get into the top three in the draft next year?
Yeah I'd keep Queta unless it meant having to choose between him and say Keon Ellis if Ellis winds up looking good in SL. But if it's another year of Queta development or keep Len/Harkless/Jones....then I'll keep Queta. Big men usually take about the longest to develop and he's only going into his 2nd summer after a pretty successful year in the G League where the team was leaps and bounds better when he was on the court.

Besides we still have Holmes so it's not like these guys should get much time anyway unless there's an injury or Holmes is traded for a non C.

Yeah I'd keep Queta unless it meant having to choose between him and say Keon Ellis if Ellis winds up looking good in SL. But if it's another year of Queta development or keep Len/Harkless/Jones....then I'll keep Queta. Big men usually take about the longest to develop and he's only going into his 2nd summer after a pretty successful year in the G League where the team was leaps and bounds better when he was on the court.

Besides we still have Holmes so it's not like these guys should get much time anyway unless there's an injury or Holmes is traded for a non C.
I'm starting to lean that unless actual value is coming back in a Holmes deal, that we should just keep him and have that rotation spot locked down rather than screwing around and hoping Jones/Queta/Len can handle the spot. It feels like we've dismissed his previous 2 seasons and a good chunk of the early year; he was so bad to end the year, but I think it's understandable why he wasn't engaged on the court with all the off-the-court nonsense he was going through with his son, getting his eye poked like 4 times, covid. No, it's not a good fit with Sabonis, but he can be defensively and if Brown is a good coach with schemes; he should be able to find time for both to be on the floor together.

The Kings need good players and Holmes is an excellent one. He's 1 year removed from this in 20/21:

LEBRON- +1.8 (91%)
D-LEBRON- +0.9 (83rd%)
Defensive RPM- +2.3 (93rd%)
RATPOR- +2.1 (85th%)
LA-RAPM- +1.1 (81st%)
VORP- +1.2
WS/480: .165
66.9% TS
17.5% USG,
10.3% TOV
15.7% TRB

Net On/Off- +8.4

Basically, no dumping him. I'll take expensive, but elite 16-20 MPG production from Holmes over it being a potential weakness on the team.

Does anyone remember that Jones actually hit a few 3s last year? He, unlike Holmes, was willing, and in many cases able to take and make them. If they don't keep Jones, they better have a major upgrade at the backup center position. Otherwise, it's totally stupid, like trading your 2nd round pick for one in 2028.
Jones had a slow start, but he really developed nicely by the end of last season. He has size, mobility, improvement in accuracy and range, and played well with our core. I’m rooting for Queda but would definitely continue investing in Jones.

I'm starting to lean that unless actual value is coming back in a Holmes deal, that we should just keep him and have that rotation spot locked down rather than screwing around and hoping Jones/Queta/Len can handle the spot. It feels like we've dismissed his previous 2 seasons and a good chunk of the early year; he was so bad to end the year, but I think it's understandable why he wasn't engaged on the court with all the off-the-court nonsense he was going through with his son, getting his eye poked like 4 times, covid. No, it's not a good fit with Sabonis, but he can be defensively and if Brown is a good coach with schemes; he should be able to find time for both to be on the floor together.

The Kings need good players and Holmes is an excellent one. He's 1 year removed from this in 20/21:

LEBRON- +1.8 (91%)
D-LEBRON- +0.9 (83rd%)
RATPOR- +2.1 (85th%)
LA-RAPM- +1.1 (81st%)
VORP- +1.2
66.9% TS
17.5% USG,
10.3% TOV
15.7% TRB

Net On/Off- +8.4

Basically, no dumping him. I'll take expensive, but elite 16-20 MPG production from Holmes over it being a potential weakness on the team.
I think I agree somewhat. Offensively, the fit next to Sabonis, and then with Sabonis and Fox, isn't great. But defensively, I think Holmes is well suited to a weak side help defender role more than he is as a primary rim protector or matching up with the better fives. And there are 96 minutes to fill at the four and five. I don't know how it will all work out - whether he stays or not - but let's see.

Well holmes doesnt need to fit with Sabonis, but be fits next to both Lyles and Murray so you can had a change of pace with the second unit. He gives you a verticality no one else on the roster does. I agree witb @The_Jamal that if you get good value back for him, fine, but short of a roster upgrade, moving him to move him is stupid. As for Queta, nope, if he is not supremely effective in summer league, we move on. While bigs take longer to mature, we already have 3 other matured back up Cs. We are gunning for the playoffs now, not 5 years from now. So move on.

Provided Holmes is still with us next year, 3rd big (deep bench) should be Jones if he can be signed for less than $3M per for 2 yrs. If not, we keep len as our deep big. Both are better in every way currently than Queta. If Holmes is moved for a 3/D wing, hartenstein would be a good target.

Free agent targets should be GP II, porter or Martin twins. Any 2 of the 4 would be ideal.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

LEBRON- +1.8 (91%)
D-LEBRON- +0.9 (83rd%)
RATPOR- +2.1 (85th%)
LA-RAPM- +1.1 (81st%)
VORP- +1.2
66.9% TS
17.5% USG,
10.3% TOV
15.7% TRB

Net On/Off- +8.4

Holmes just doesn't fit with the lineup as a back-up center. Gone are the halcyon Halliburton days where he could be the beneficiary of Halliburton's lob passes for dunks or floaters. I doubt that Coach Brown is going to have a separate offense designed around Holmes's strengths when he's in at backup center; it's highly likely it's going to be some kind of high post offense designed around Sabonis's strengths. Is Holmes going to be at the high post threading passes to back-cutters and shooting 18-20 footers? No. (Jones can hit those 18 footers). And if Holmes doesn't score quite a bit at the center position he can't make up for his lackluster defense and rebounding. The best fit and the highest value that will be garnered for Holmes is from a team like Indy with Halliburton who could maximize his offensive talents.

Holmes just doesn't fit with the lineup as a back-up center. Gone are the halcyon Halliburton days where he could be the beneficiary of Halliburton's lob passes for dunks or floaters. I doubt that Coach Brown is going to have a separate offense designed around Holmes's strengths when he's in at backup center; it's highly likely it's going to be some kind of high post offense designed around Sabonis's strengths. Is Holmes going to be at the high post threading passes to back-cutters and shooting 18-20 footers? No. (Jones can hit those 18 footers). And if Holmes doesn't score quite a bit at the center position he can't make up for his lackluster defense and rebounding. The best fit and the highest value that will be garnered for Holmes is from a team like Indy with Halliburton who could maximize his offensive talents.
I would expect Brown to have a separate offense designed around the players that are currently on the court. If he's like "Alright Jones, you're up. Go do exactly what Sabonis just did'....then we're in trouble.

I understand both sides of the argument, the truth likely falls somewhere in the middle. If we could turn Holmes into say Kelly Oubre then I’m all for moving him. I know the Hornets just drafted Mark Williams and have Kai Jones but there’s no way they’d feel great about having to start either one. I think they picked up Plumlee’s option or made his contract guaranteed though so that would throw a wrench in that trade but something like that is what I’d be looking for if moving off Holmes. I think Jones showed well enough to not be too concerned if we did move off Holmes. All that said, Holmes is great energy off the bench and if we could carve out 20 minutes a game for him to go out there and give us hustle points, boards and defense I think we could work around his fit offensively. Admittedly my dream is to move Holmes for a wing, find a way to dump Len off to someone, and sign Bamba to a little less that what Holmes is making annually now. Sabonis and Bamba could even play together with Bamba’s range and his defense would be nice so Sabo wouldn’t have to guard bigger 5’s. Then resign Jones to be our reserve.

LEBRON- +1.8 (91%)
D-LEBRON- +0.9 (83rd%)
RATPOR- +2.1 (85th%)
LA-RAPM- +1.1 (81st%)
VORP- +1.2
66.9% TS
17.5% USG,
10.3% TOV
15.7% TRB

Net On/Off- +8.4

Here's a thing to remember though, what is his actual monetary value in those types of minutes? Going forward that will absolutely set his trade value. And honestly, unless Sabonis is in foul trouble or they try and hammer that 2 C lineup that looked pretty bad already into the game 20 is pushing it. He was around those minutes prior to joining Sac and it made him a decent pickup at around 5 million a year. Now as with almost every other move made by the Kings recently as long as they are winning and he's OK with that role then you can swallow the overpay. As of right now Holmes is set to be one of the highest paid backup centers in the league.

I would expect Brown to have a separate offense designed around the players that are currently on the court. If he's like "Alright Jones, you're up. Go do exactly what Sabonis just did'....then we're in trouble.
It already sounds like pick and roll is a major part of the plan so I'm sure if Holmes is on the roster next season you'll be seeing plenty of it with he and Davion off the bench.

Yeah that's pretty interesting, if we are indeed looking for another 2-way contract to bump up Queta to a full. Probably means the end of Damian Jones as Metu is more versatile and you don't need 3 back-up C only's.
Again if true why not use 37. Just further evidence we had multiple 2-way spots that Hardy/Liddell could have fit into.

I think these are the biggest constraints that Monte has - financially the Kings are one of the poor sisters of the NBA. Charlotte is another.

We're looking for basketball reasons why the Kings didn't draft at #37 but it's probably just a money issue.
Along with the consistent selling of 2nd Rd picks. Screams need cash

Along with the consistent selling of 2nd Rd picks. Screams need cash
Attendance is way down and a year with none. That's alot of lost revenue. Plus a year of no events. They lowered ticket prices this year.

I think the year with no fans really allowed people to re evaluate their priorities and Kings games were lowered.

I'm hoping that RH has a comeback year after getting his home life situation on solid footing. Jones outplayed him last year at a fraction of the cost.

I think these are the biggest constraints that Monte has - financially the Kings are one of the poor sisters of the NBA. Charlotte is another.

We're looking for basketball reasons why the Kings didn't draft at #37 but it's probably just a money issue.
Which may seem as a short term win but could be a long term mistake. In order to make more money, they need to field a good team. Skipping over players that can potentially help the team get better will just wind up costing them more money in the end.

Unless Vivek just wants to turn the Kings into the A's of the NBA.