2022 Summer League Roster

Ah, but here's the rub. I agree that Homes excels with the PnR, but one of the better PnR guards in league was sent packing to Indy. Who exactly is going to run the PnR with him when he's in as a sub? Mitchell? I love him but he's not close to Halliburton's skills in that regard, which means again that Holmes value for this team goes down because he doesn't have someone as good to give him easy looks in the PnR like he had with Halliburton. By playing a lot more PnR with Holmes you may give him more shots at the basket, but you are not playing to the strength of your guards. Something has got to give, and I think the Kings will and should trade him to a team that is more able to utilize his PnR talents.

With respect to your question, since the big trade last year I've been hoping to package Holmes and Barnes to get an athletic 3, which this team desperately needs. I don't know who is available or what would be required in that regard. But I would expect McNair to talk to teams like Indy who do have an excellent PnR guard (e.g. Halliburton) because Holmes's value to them would be maximized, which means he should be able to get more in trade from them.
Mitchell showed serious improvement later in the year on pick and roll though. However, you're right though, it will have to be a bit different. I think Mitchell can develop into a player like FVV when it comes to getting that screen and using his ability to mid-range or use that hesi dribble. Holmes although he's not the best screener is always a lob threat so teams can't just leave him free on the roll.

20 year old 6'2" guard DJ Steward who played for Duke and averaged 14ppg in the G-League last season is on the SL team
He looked pretty good in Stockton last season. Seemed to play a bit more under control as the season progressed. When he got hot, he could put up a lot of points in a hurry.

He was on the Summer League team last year too, but didn't play a lot. Obviously a lot of the PG time was designated for Davion.
Steward is also a guy who was very skinny, Duke listed him at 163lbs.. Strangely enough in the G-League last season he was listed at 162.. Hopefully he's added some strength/weight to his frame.. But he doesnt draw many fouls (even though he made like 90% FT's in the G-league and 81% in college).. He made a third of his 3's last season in the g-league which is basically what he did at Duke..

He's a shifty guard who can get downhill.. I wish him all the luck he's a player who was rated as a 5 star recruit that sort of flamed out quickly.. his path to improvement is pretty straightforward though..

It stands to reason he could've x-ferred to Illinois and become the focal point of the offense but chose to take the g-league route instead, interested to see how his games progressed.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Mitchell showed serious improvement later in the year on pick and roll though. However, you're right though, it will have to be a bit different. I think Mitchell can develop into a player like FVV when it comes to getting that screen and using his ability to mid-range or use that hesi dribble. Holmes although he's not the best screener is always a lob threat so teams can't just leave him free on the roll.
Yes, it's not like Holmes has no value. It's that his value for other teams with different guards and different systems is now greater relative to the Kings. Those are the players you trade in the hopes of getting a player that complements your roster better than Holmes.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Again, this argument doesn't make sense. Holmes was awesome the year before Hali came into the league and he was awesome last year when Hali was a rookie and didn't command near as much of the playmaking as he did last year. He doesn't need one an amazing passer to be good; he's already proven that before Hali got here.

Also, Holmes value just isn't soley tied to being a rim runner/finisher out of the PnR. None of this makes sense lol
Was he awesome before Hali? I'd argue that as on defense he was near the bottom of starting NBA centers. And his rebounding is mediocre. Sure, with the right guards he can get fed the ball and be very efficient at making shots in the paint; he's proven that. (He really looked gawdawful last year, but I realize there was a lot of stuff going on). To me, I want a center who is complementary to the other players on the court, not vice-versa; one that doesn't have to be fed the ball to have an impact on the game. Therefore, to me Jones seems the better fit. If Holmes could shoot from the outside it would be an entirely different story because they could put him at pf and he would complement the other players on the court, and his perimeter defense is good.

Forgot it was a long weekend…think I’ll pop into Chase for some California Classic action. I’m assuming this will be the same roster as the Vegas Summer league?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Forgot it was a long weekend…think I’ll pop into Chase for some California Classic action. I’m assuming this will be the same roster as the Vegas Summer league?
Usually they are largely the same, but I think in most years there are some minor changes in the support players between the two events.

Sky is the limit with this kid. I came away from draft night pumped the Kings got Keon Ellis. After doing a deep dive on Jared Rhoden I might be even more excited for him. Coach Brown will fall in love with this kid, if he hasn’t already.
Had a nice surprise last summer league watching the intensity that team played with, specifically on defensive side. Expected that to be a one-off but I could see this year being even better. I have a feeling Ellis and Rhoden will steal the show with their perimeter defense. Obviously Keegan and Quetta will have the eyes on them but don’t be surprised if we’re quickly talking about how to make room for Rhoden on a two-way. The interview is a bit long but his character comes thru right away. Not that he is the perfect blend of all three but I see flashes of all three in his game: Thybulle, Mann, Mikal Bridges. With that GP2 energy. Looking forward to the California Classic. Confirmed roster so far:
Keon Ellis
Keegan Murray
Jeriah Horne
Jared Rhoden
Alex O’Connell
Jai Smith
DJ Steward

He looked pretty good in Stockton last season. Seemed to play a bit more under control as the season progressed. When he got hot, he could put up a lot of points in a hurry.
Yeah he had a couple weeks there where he was putting up Dejounte Murray numbers and then it seemed like he was out for a few games and then wasn't the same when he came back. Hopefully he can get back to that production. Was looking good there for a while.

Find you someone who loves you as much as KFR loves Keon Ellis, lol.

But for real, some really interesting tools it looks like with him. Needs to add size and the handle/passing is oof for a guard, but a great development staff should be able to use that defense+shooting.

I like the fact this roster is filled with just rookies or 1-year guys, no six or seven year players who have reached their ceiling and are just playing so management can field a roster, not to possibly be on the Kings one day.
They might not have lots of experience... This is still a pretty old roster for a SL team though..

Some familiar names there. Go for the gold! Might be a bit tougher without Metu/Terry.
I'm okay with that. Would rather see Keegan, Ellis and some of the UDFAs over Metu, Terry and the like.

I'm sure we're going to see some really ugly basketball but these guys showing flashes of having NBA skills is the most important part.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
They might not have lots of experience... This is still a pretty old roster for a SL team though..
Well, it's not that old. Of the 261 players so far announced for SL rosters on Hoopshype, the mean age (on July 1) is 22.6 years old. The mean age on the Kings' roster is 23.1 years old.

But while the Kings' roster seems nearly complete, many rosters are still only a few players deep - typically those rosters do include 2022 draftees, who are young. The players who fill out other teams' rosters will probably skew older and bump the mean age up, so the distance between the Kings' age and other teams should actually get a bit smaller.