2022 Summer League Roster

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which may seem as a short term win but could be a long term mistake. In order to make more money, they need to field a good team. Skipping over players that can potentially help the team get better will just wind up costing them more money in the end.

Unless Vivek just wants to turn the Kings into the A's of the NBA.
Yeah, but the A's are sometimes competitive . . .

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I would expect Brown to have a separate offense designed around the players that are currently on the court. If he's like "Alright Jones, you're up. Go do exactly what Sabonis just did'....then we're in trouble.
According to that logic Brown is going to have a separate offense for every player in the Kings rotation. My view is that there may be some changes around the edges to the Kings' game plan depending on the players on the floor, but there will be no major change to their offensive system. Obviously you can't have one offense designed around a backup center, one designed around the backup power forward, one designed around a backup point guard, etc. The new system is going to be challenging enough for the Kings' players to adopt expeditiously; adding more systems to maximize the strengths of a backup center who is not your most talented player coming off the bench would be a recipe for disaster. Holmes needs to go to make room for players that make sense on this roster.

According to that logic Brown is going to have a separate offense for every player in the Kings rotation. My view is that there may be some changes around the edges to the Kings' game plan depending on the players on the floor, but there will be no major change to their offensive system. Obviously you can't have one offense designed around a backup center, one designed around the backup power forward, one designed around a backup point guard, etc. The new system is going to be challenging enough for the Kings' players to adopt expeditiously; adding more systems to maximize the strengths of a backup center who is not your most talented player coming off the bench would be a recipe for disaster. Holmes needs to go to make room for players that make sense on this roster.
I hear you. But having a bench rotation based off a pick-and-roll with Davion and Holmes makes a ton of sense to me. A 9 minute run with this line up each half could keep Fox and Domas fresh.

This makes absolutely 0 sense. No back-up can hang with the star player they're filling in for. Or tbh, any back-up vs any starting caliber feature player. A good coach adapts him system based on the personal that's on the floor. Holmes is not going to run the same sets as Sabonis. Duh. Just like Horton-Tucker is not going to run the same sets filling in for LeBron.

Memphis this past season was a perfect example. They didn't have Tyus Jones try to be Ja; they changed their game-plan to play to his strengths (and JJJ/Bane) that allowed them to be enormously successful.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This makes absolutely 0 sense. No back-up can hang with the star player they're filling in for. Or tbh, any back-up vs any starting caliber feature player. A good coach adapts him system based on the personal that's on the floor. Holmes is not going to run the same sets as Sabonis. Duh. Just like Horton-Tucker is not going to run the same sets filling in for LeBron.

Memphis this past season was a perfect example. They didn't have Tyus Jones try to be Ja; they changed their game-plan to play to his strengths (and JJJ/Bane) that allowed them to be enormously successful.
They don't change the freaking system for backups! The system stays the same and they make subtle changes to the way the players play within the system (Game Plan). The system is going to be designed around the strengths of Sabonis and Fox, not Holmes for crying out loud. A system is NOT a game plan.

They don't change the freaking system for backups! The system stays the same and they make subtle changes to the way the players play within the system (Game Plan). The system is going to be designed around the strengths of Sabonis and Fox, not Holmes for crying out loud. A system is NOT a game plan.
What are you even talking about? Of course it is? So why can't Holmes be a back-up in that "system"? And why can Damian Jones, who is a significantly worse player?

I think we're just arguing semantics here.

I don't mean that they're going to run a high post system with Sabonis out there and then switch to the triangle when Holmes comes in.

They just simply aren't going to have Holmes passing out of the high post just because he got subbed in for Sabonis. The backups aren't required to perform the same skillsets that the starters have. When Holmes comes in, I fully expect them to run more PnR with him because that's what he excels at.

On the other topic, who would replace Holmes that would make more sense?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
What are you even talking about? Of course it is? So why can't Holmes be a back-up in that "system"? And why can Damian Jones, who is a significantly worse player?
It's all pretty simple. Holmes became less valuable to the Kings once they traded for Sabonis and jettisoned Halliburton. It was a double-whammy for Holmes. They aren't going to have a system for Holmes. He's not the #3 guy anymore. His talent of chippies at the basket is not as highly valued with this new Kings team and the new system built around them because he's not going to be getting those opportunities like in days gone past. He can't mask his defensive inadequacies anymore by filling up the box score finishing on floaters from Halliburton. Halliburton gone. Sabonis in. And Holmes becomes more valuable (in trade) for other teams whose systems and personnel complement his talents (like Indy), while the Kings can hopefully use his value in getting an athletic 3 they so desperately need.

As far as whether Jones is superior or Holmes is superior, to some degree it's irrelevant. It all depends on the system they are in and the players they play with. It's ultimately whether they fit better. And Jones definitely looks like a better fit, defensively and offensively.

It's all pretty simple. Holmes became less valuable to the Kings once they traded for Sabonis and jettisoned Halliburton. It was a double-whammy for Holmes. They aren't going to have a system for Holmes. He's not the #3 guy anymore. His talent of chippies at the basket is not as highly valued with this new Kings team and the new system built around them because he's not going to be getting those opportunities like in days gone past. He can't mask his defensive inadequacies anymore by filling up the box score finishing on floaters from Halliburton. Halliburton gone. Sabonis in. And Holmes becomes more valuable (in trade) for other teams whose systems and personnel complement his talents (like Indy), while the Kings can hopefully use his value in getting an athletic 3 they so desperately need.

As far as whether Jones is superior or Holmes is superior, to some degree it's irrelevant. It all depends on the system they are in and the players they play with. It's ultimately whether they fit better. And Jones definitely looks like a better fit, defensively and offensively.
I tend to agree that Holmes became considerably less valuable to the Kings without Haliburton on the roster, but I find it perplexing that you're doubling down on this idea that Mike Brown and his staff won't "have a system for Holmes." We don't even know what kind of offensive system(s) Brown intends to implement in Sacramento yet! The only clue we have gotten thus far from both Brown and McNair is that they want to "play fast," and Holmes certainly has enough get-up-and-go to his game to be effective in a fast-paced offensive environment, particularly with the second unit.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Holmes just doesn't fit with the lineup as a back-up center. Gone are the halcyon Halliburton days where he could be the beneficiary of Halliburton's lob passes for dunks or floaters. I doubt that Coach Brown is going to have a separate offense designed around Holmes's strengths when he's in at backup center; it's highly likely it's going to be some kind of high post offense designed around Sabonis's strengths. Is Holmes going to be at the high post threading passes to back-cutters and shooting 18-20 footers? No. (Jones can hit those 18 footers). And if Holmes doesn't score quite a bit at the center position he can't make up for his lackluster defense and rebounding. The best fit and the highest value that will be garnered for Holmes is from a team like Indy with Halliburton who could maximize his offensive talents.
It really is a shame that the Kings traded the one guard in the NBA who is capable of throwing a lob pass. I also find it hilarious that people are saying we should cut Queta (the #39 overall pick in last year's draft) after one season while also complaining that the Kings traded out of their #37 pick this year.

It really is a shame that the Kings traded the one guard in the NBA who is capable of throwing a lob pass. I also find it hilarious that people are saying we should cut Queta (the #39 overall pick in last year's draft) after one season while also complaining that the Kings traded out of their #37 pick this year.
And without giving him a proper chance... It also seems alot of people around here dont seem to understand that the reason we drafted Queta, was for his defensive ability and ceiling, which is something this team desperately needs.

To give Fox credit, Holmes' per36 ppg only went up by 2 points when Haliburton got drafted so it's not like Holmes wasn't utilized before Hali.

His numbers are actually remarkably consistent in his 3 years here.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
To give Fox credit, Holmes' per36 ppg only went up by 2 points when Haliburton got drafted so it's not like Holmes wasn't utilized before Hali.

His numbers are actually remarkably consistent in his 3 years here.
Maybe it wasn't as obvious as I thought, but that bit about nobody else being capable of throwing lob passes to Richaun was intended as sarcasm. :) Haliburton had great chemistry with Richaun but that doesn't mean his production will drop off dramatically now that he's off the team. His disappearance last season started well before the Haliburton trade and was the result of injuries and off the court distractions. I hope he comes back as the player we saw at the start of the season. If he does he'll earn 20-25 minutes per game even with Sabonis locked in as the starting C and we need all the help we can get trying to finish as one of the best 8 teams in the West.

Maybe it wasn't as obvious as I thought, but that bit about nobody else being capable of throwing lob passes to Richaun was intended as sarcasm. :) Haliburton had great chemistry with Richaun but that doesn't mean his production will drop off dramatically now that he's off the team. His disappearance last season started well before the Haliburton trade and was the result of injuries and off the court distractions. I hope he comes back as the player we saw at the start of the season. If he does he'll earn 20-25 minutes per game even with Sabonis locked in as the starting C and we need all the help we can get trying to finish as one of the best 8 teams in the West.
It's clear now that I read it again. I must have missed the "in the NBA" portion of the sentence when I read over it the first time ;)

Yeah I'm hoping he can return to his first half form and that the 2nd half was due to the personal issues discussed. If the Kings can't find a suitor or a better fit at his position, then I'm all for playing him as many minutes as possible as a backup. He is exponentially better than Jones, despite Jones showing a little more outside shooting. Holmes should be much better defensively against backups and along with Metu, he's our best big man perimeter defender. He may not hold down the paint that well but he moves his feet really well on the perimeter. Not quite WCS like but good enough to hold his own most the time when switched onto a wing.

I remember when Holmes used to beat our butts in 20 minutes coming off the bench for the Suns. He can be an impact player off the bench - which the Kings could sorely use.

If we can get a quality wing for him - Holmes is gone. Otherwise - he’s proven he can be a real spark in limited minutes.
its obvious that he should just start doing the push shot from three

The notion that holmes and fox or davion cant work together is laughable. Holmes worked well with fox too before Hali was getting big minutes. The difference was that last season much of holmes issues were off the court and health (eye). Even before hali got traded his production had suffered. He was basically frozen from the offense after luke was fired.

As for how coaches make systems, coaches have multiple actions to run in their systems. To think that a system with Sabonis cannot work with a back up like Holmes is short sighted. Their are multiple approaches in a system for each position with one grand unified theory driving the system. Brown wants to implement the Princeton type offense and holmes can fit well on this with lobs and floaters in the lane. I think it is telling that Holmes and his agent had a zoom meeting with Brown early on and Holmes was subsequently present at the Brown introductory presser. That tells me Brown has told him he not only has a place for holmes but that he will be very relevant. Otherwise why does holmes come if he isnt going to have a significant place for him. Brown also coached up looney for his defensive growth. I think he will have a good impact on Holmes too. If there is a deal there which is beneficial, by all means we will make it. If not, id rather run with Holmes, keep jones as a deep bench, and move Len.

I started to say Holmes surrounded by Barnes and Murray would be fine but both those guys like to post their guy up. So even in that case I think you want, if you can find him a 5 that can stretch the floor. Metu could be a very serviceable back up 5 if he can read the pick and roll. Regardless Sabonis has to get better from 3.

NBA Summer League schedule
July 7
Thomas & Mack Center

7 p.m. — Houston Rockets vs. Orlando Magic, ESPN
9 p.m. — Portland Trail Blazers vs. Detroit Pistons, ESPN

July 8
Thomas & Mack Center

1 p.m. — Dallas Mavericks vs. Chicago Bulls, ESPNU
3 p.m. — Charlotte Hornets vs. Indiana Pacers, ESPN2
5 p.m. — Golden State Warriors vs. New York Knicks, ESPN2
7 p.m. — Phoenix Suns vs. Los Angeles Lakers, ESPN2
Cox Pavilion
2 p.m. — San Antonio Spurs vs. Cleveland Cavaliers, NBA TV
4 p.m. — Brooklyn Nets vs. Milwaukee Bucks, NBA TV
6 p.m. — Denver Nuggets vs. Minnesota Timberwolves, NBA TV

July 9
Thomas & Mack Center

1 p.m. — Orlando Magic vs. Sacramento Kings, ESPN
3 p.m. — Detroit Pistons vs. Washington Wizards, ESPN2
5 p.m. — Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Houston Rockets, ESPN2
7 p.m. — New Orleans Pelicans vs. Portland Trail Blazers, ESPN2
Cox Pavilion
12:30 p.m. — Toronto Raptors vs. Philadelphia 76ers, NBA TV
2:30 p.m. — Boston Celtics vs. Miami Heat, NBA TV
4:30 p.m. — Atlanta Hawks vs. Utah Jazz, NBA TV
6:30 p.m. — Los Angeles Clippers vs. Memphis Grizzlies, NBA TV

July 10
Thomas & Mack Center

12:30 p.m. — Philadelphia 76ers vs. Brooklyn Nets, NBA TV
2:30 p.m. — Washington Wizards vs. Phoenix Suns, NBA TV
4:30 p.m. — Golden State Warriors vs. San Antonio Spurs, NBA TV
6:30 p.m. — Charlotte Hornets vs. Los Angeles Lakers, NBA TV
Cox Pavilion
Noon — Indiana Pacers vs. Sacramento Kings, ESPN
2 p.m. — Chicago Bulls vs. New York Knicks, ESPN2
4 p.m. — Denver Nuggets vs. Cleveland Cavaliers, ESPNU
6 p.m. — Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Memphis Grizzlies, ESPNU

July 11
Thomas & Mack Center

4 p.m. — Houston Rockets vs. San Antonio Spurs, ESPN
6 p.m. — Orlando Magic vs. Oklahoma City Thunder, ESPN
8 p.m. — New York Knicks vs. Portland Trail Blazers, ESPN2
Cox Pavilion
3 p.m. — New Orleans Pelicans vs. Atlanta Hawks, NBA TV
5 p.m. — Milwaukee Bucks vs. Boston Celtics, NBA TV
7 p.m. — Dallas Mavericks vs. Utah Jazz, NBA TV

July 12
Thomas & Mack Center

2 p.m. — Chicago Bulls vs. Toronto Raptors, NBA TV
4 p.m. — Atlanta Hawks vs. Miami Heat, NBA TV
6 p.m. — Detroit Pistons vs. Indiana Pacers, NBA TV
8 p.m. — Los Angeles Lakers vs. Los Angeles Clippers, NBA TV
Cox Pavilion
3 p.m. — Memphis Grizzlies vs. Brooklyn Nets, ESPNU
5 p.m. — Boston Celtics vs. Golden State Warriors, ESPN2
7 p.m. — Phoenix Suns vs. Dallas Mavericks, ESPN2

July 13
Thomas & Mack Center

1 p.m. — Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Milwaukee Bucks, NBA TV
3 p.m. — Washington Wizards vs. New Orleans Pelicans, NBA TV
5 p.m. — Sacramento Kings vs. Oklahoma City Thunder, NBA TV
7 p.m. — Denver Nuggets vs. Los Angeles Clippers, NBA TV
Cox Pavilion
2 p.m. — Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Charlotte Hornets, ESPNU
4 p.m. — Toronto Raptors vs. Utah Jazz, ESPNU
6 p.m. — Miami Heat vs. Philadelphia 76ers, ESPNU

July 14
Thomas & Mack Center

12:30 p.m. — Memphis Grizzlies vs. Boston Celtics, NBA TV
2:30 p.m. — Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Detroit Pistons, NBA TV
4:30 p.m. — New York Knicks vs. Orlando Magic, NBA TV
6:30 p.m. — Portland Trail Blazers vs. Houston Rockets, NBA TV
Cox Pavilion
Noon — Atlanta Hawks vs. San Antonio Spurs, ESPN2
2 p.m. — Chicago Bulls vs. Charlotte Hornets, ESPN2
4 p.m. — Dallas Mavericks vs. Milwaukee Bucks, ESPNU
6 p.m. — Brooklyn Nets vs. Minnesota Timberwolves, ESPNU

July 15
Thomas & Mack Center

2 p.m. — Los Angeles Clippers vs. Utah Jazz, ESPN2
4 p.m. — Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Golden State Warriors, ESPN
6 p.m. — Indiana Pacers vs. Washington Wizards, ESPN2
8 p.m. — Los Angeles Lakers vs. New Orleans Pelicans, ESPN2
Cox Pavilion
3 p.m. — Philadelphia 76ers vs. Denver Nuggets, NBA TV
5 p.m. — Sacramento Kings vs. Phoenix Suns, NBA TV
7 p.m. — Miami Heat vs. Toronto Raptors, NBA TV

July 16
Thomas & Mack Center

Noon — TBD, NBA TV
2 p.m. — TBD, NBA TV
4 p.m. — TBD, NBA TV
6 p.m. — TBD, NBA TV
8 p.m. — TBD, NBA TV
Cox Pavilion
1 p.m. — TBD, ESPNU
3 p.m. — TBD, ESPN
5 p.m. — TBD, ESPN
7 p.m. — TBD, ESPN2

July 17
Thomas & Mack Center

Noon — Championship, ESPN
2:30 p.m. — TBD, ESPN2
4:30 p.m. — TBD, ESPN2
Cox Pavilion
1 p.m. — TBD, NBA TV
3 p.m. — TBD, NBA TV
5 p.m. — TBD, NBA TV

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...unces-summer-league-game-tv-schedule-2595388/

(Edited by Capt. for minor formatting and to highlight Kings games)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think we're just arguing semantics here.

I don't mean that they're going to run a high post system with Sabonis out there and then switch to the triangle when Holmes comes in.

They just simply aren't going to have Holmes passing out of the high post just because he got subbed in for Sabonis. The backups aren't required to perform the same skillsets that the starters have. When Holmes comes in, I fully expect them to run more PnR with him because that's what he excels at.

On the other topic, who would replace Holmes that would make more sense?
Ah, but here's the rub. I agree that Homes excels with the PnR, but one of the better PnR guards in league was sent packing to Indy. Who exactly is going to run the PnR with him when he's in as a sub? Mitchell? I love him but he's not close to Halliburton's skills in that regard, which means again that Holmes value for this team goes down because he doesn't have someone as good to give him easy looks in the PnR like he had with Halliburton. By playing a lot more PnR with Holmes you may give him more shots at the basket, but you are not playing to the strength of your guards. Something has got to give, and I think the Kings will and should trade him to a team that is more able to utilize his PnR talents.

With respect to your question, since the big trade last year I've been hoping to package Holmes and Barnes to get an athletic 3, which this team desperately needs. I don't know who is available or what would be required in that regard. But I would expect McNair to talk to teams like Indy who do have an excellent PnR guard (e.g. Halliburton) because Holmes's value to them would be maximized, which means he should be able to get more in trade from them.

Ah, but here's the rub. I agree that Homes excels with the PnR, but one of the better PnR guards in league was sent packing to Indy. Who exactly is going to run the PnR with him when he's in as a sub? Mitchell? I love him but he's not close to Halliburton's skills in that regard, which means again that Holmes value for this team goes down because he doesn't have someone as good to give him easy looks in the PnR like he had with Halliburton. By playing a lot more PnR with Holmes you may give him more shots at the basket, but you are not playing to the strength of your guards. Something has got to give, and I think the Kings will and should trade him to a team that is more able to utilize his PnR talents.

With respect to your question, since the big trade last year I've been hoping to package Holmes and Barnes to get an athletic 3, which this team desperately needs. I don't know who is available or what would be required in that regard. But I would expect McNair to talk to teams like Indy who do have an excellent PnR guard (e.g. Halliburton) because Holmes's value to them would be maximized, which means he should be able to get more in trade from them.
Obviously Mitchell and DDV aren't as good as Fox and Haliburton at running the PnR but we can't just abandon one of the simplest and most used plays in the game because we don't have an elite playmaker on the court.

My question is, who is going to take Holmes' minutes? None of the other bigs on the roster can do much more Holmes can. Jones/Len might be able to hit an outside shot every couple games but that doesn't justify them taking those minutes from Holmes. Even if he just plays garbage man, that's about all these other guys are capable of as well. I don't see the point in trading him unless we get something of equal value back or sign a center that is a better fit.

Obviously Mitchell and DDV aren't as good as Fox and Haliburton at running the PnR but we can't just abandon one of the simplest and most used plays in the game because we don't have an elite playmaker on the court.

My question is, who is going to take Holmes' minutes? None of the other bigs on the roster can do much more Holmes can. Jones/Len might be able to hit an outside shot every couple games but that doesn't justify them taking those minutes from Holmes. Even if he just plays garbage man, that's about all these other guys are capable of as well. I don't see the point in trading him unless we get something of equal value back or sign a center that is a better fit.
Agreed. Unless the Kings can sign a guy like Hartenstein and get a decent deal lined up for Holmes, there's not a lot of reason to trade him. At worst, he becomes an overpaid but highly-qualified garbage man.

Again, this argument doesn't make sense. Holmes was awesome the year before Hali came into the league and he was awesome last year when Hali was a rookie and didn't command near as much of the playmaking as he did last year. He doesn't need one an amazing passer to be good; he's already proven that before Hali got here.

Also, Holmes value just isn't soley tied to being a rim runner/finisher out of the PnR. None of this makes sense lol

Better to let Holmes get back on track here and get his value back up. Then we can move him if that helps the team.
The question is going to be whether that's possible with the minutes he'd be projected to get. His career prior to the year he got the starting nod with Sacramento was around that minutes wise and he generated interest at about half of what he's getting paid now. Then after being a starter he didn't end up getting a deal in the range he was looking for so the Kings re-signed him. If the Kings can't, or aren't looking to dump him, the most hopeful course is that he's willing to be a backup and his impact is a part of a winning atmosphere next season.