2021 NFL Draft Open Thread

SRS or no?

I’d have been just fine with him at 12. The vitriol was he wasn’t worth the move-up IMO.
I actually was pretty fine with the Jones to Pats talk for months prior to the 9ers move up. Incidentally, that is when the Lance to Pats talk started.

In my mind its fun because we stood pat and took who was available and y'all traded up.

I DID NOT LIKE/WANT FIELDS :)

so anyways, I am serious, this will be fun. we took the low risk (although Bill has never drafted a QB this high, so it is high risk for him) approach we shall see how it pays off. of course if they just tanked the lost season which they should have done they could have had a top 2 pick. oy.

anywho, I was not a fan of a move up to 3/4 because I liked the top 2 and then any of them would have worked.

that said, by virtue of being drafted by the Jets it is probably 75% safe to say Wilson busts now. Always a firm believer that good players go to bad teams and flame out.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Wasn’t quite the dead silence of the Raiders pick, but another solid reaction for the Packers pick.

“.... that’s an interesting pick?”

49ers are on Rodgers wish list.....an interesting idea, but packers would want Lance - effectively three #1 draft picks for 37 yro Rodgers, no thanks - maybe if R.odgers was a couple years younger.....might trade Garrapolo and Sherman with a 2nd and 3rd rounder. Rodgers age is the reason the Pack is preparing.....don't know why he doesn't like it - same thing every pro athelete has to deal with

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I had a feeling from the beginning that Lance would be the pick and then all the Mac Jones stuff happened and everybody said Justin Fields was sliding so I started watching a lot more footage of all 3 and came away with the impression that Fields was the best pick. But I also think Trey Lance is extremely impressive, risky but impressive, and if he can carry over what he did in college to the NFL then the Niners just got a lot better.

As well as Shanahan's teams have run the ball, it's fun to think about how dominant Lance could be in a play-action situation where the defense now has basically two running backs to account for. You probably also got that with Fields but the one thing with Lance that really jumps off the tape is how hard he is to bring down in the open field. Watching a QB shake off multiple defenders and stiff arm defensive backs is video game type stuff. That's where I think quality of competition is a factor but I don't know how to judge that fairly. He's going to have all the pieces he needs to be successful in San Francisco so whatever happens I think we'll see the best that Trey Lance has to offer.