2020 All Star Weekend

Watching the Rising Stars game. I’ve made it through the first 6 minutes but I think I’m done. This isn’t basketball. I get it, no one wants to get hurt but come on. I’ll check back in for the 4th quarter to see if the intensity picks up a bit.
lasted longer than me this and the main game are an absolute joke, playing some defense isn’t that hard man just don’t play help defense but man to man isn’t asking for much.
They play harder during open gym in the summer

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
lasted longer than me this and the main game are an absolute joke, playing some defense isn’t that hard man just don’t play help defense but man to man isn’t asking for much.
They play harder during open gym in the summer
And this is exactly why, as far as I'm concerned, All-Star weekend is the three-point contest and nothing else. I can't get excited about the skills challenge for whatever reason, the dunk contest has been a joke since the judges screwed Gerald Wallace out of the win, and the two "games" are worse than watching the Harlem Globetrotters beat the Washington Generals (AGAIN?!?) At least the three-point contest is directly relevant to the game and decided on the basis of skill.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I used to watch everything for All-Star Weekend and then it got stale and boring. So now I just tune in for the dunk contest and the three point shootout. Aaron Gordon is in it again so I'm tuning in exclusively to see what he does, that guy is a highlight reel waiting to happen.

For me it’s 3 Point and slam dunk contest. Dunk contest is dependent and who’s in it and if the screw with the rules. It was great when it was Jason Richardson and Vince Carter etc. Then the whole Dwight Howard/ Nate Robinson years ruined it for me. Then the rule change when Ben McLemore was in it was a total failure followed by the popularity contest when Blake griffin won it dunking over a car (um he jumped over the front hood of a Kia :rolleyes:). What got me excited again was the Aaron Gordon/ Zach LaVine contest.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
For me it’s 3 Point and slam dunk contest. Dunk contest is dependent and who’s in it and if the screw with the rules. It was great when it was Jason Richardson and Vince Carter etc. Then the whole Dwight Howard/ Nate Robinson years ruined it for me. Then the rule change when Ben McLemore was in it was a total failure followed by the popularity contest when Blake griffin won it dunking over a car (um he jumped over the front hood of a Kia :rolleyes:). What got me excited again was the Aaron Gordon/ Zach LaVine contest.
I don't mind the props, etc. I don't like the retries - takes the fun and spontaneity out of it. They keep trying the same thing over and over. You should get one shot at a dunk per round.

Jones tried to overtake Ben for “A lot of buildup for little payoff” championship but fell short

Shaq was probably thinking “those Kings fans better not act like I never did anything for them”

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Dunk contest round 1:

Howard - 6 (-1 for miss on first attempt)
Jones Jr - 7 (-1 for miss on first attempt)
Connaughton - 8
Gordon - 9 (-1 for miss on first attempt)

My subjective assessments only. ;)

The 3 Point Contest is the only part of ASW that delivers. The Skills Challenge is stupidly arbitrary, and the Dunk Contest has sucked for years with the rehashed ideas and countless false-starts and replacement dunks.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The 3 Point Contest is the only part of ASW that delivers. The Skills Challenge is stupidly arbitrary, and the Dunk Contest has sucked for years with the rehashed ideas and countless false-starts and replacement dunks.
I beg to differ but am not going to argue the point, since that has been done earlier by S£im. No reason to rain on the parade of those who are enjoying it...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Two dunk dunk-off...

I guess I'm just old-fashioned, but you don't get a second chance for a showtime dunk in a game, so I don't think you should get one in the dunk contest.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
O/T - This is where team owners have to be biting their nails. The possibility of one of their young stars getting hurt increases with each round.