2019 NBA All-Star Weekend Events (merged)

Do you watch all of the All-Star Weekend events?

• Total voters

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You really think the guy that is the 3rd option on a great team is more deserving than the guy that has defensive game plan drawn up to stop him every night?
That's an interesting way to choose to interpret what I said. A more accurate interpretation would be that I think the #1 option on a .558 team should be selected over the #1 option on a .490 team.

I don't really think that "deserve" has anything to do with it: nobody "deserves" to be an All-Star. Donovan Mitchell earned an All-Star selection, so did Klay Thompson, IMO. Thompson got it, and Mitchell didn't. Them's the breaks.

I guess such is life playing in a small market. Its no wonder that all the stars try to get to bigger markets.
Man, get off this "woe is me/nobody respects us" stuff. Every one of the western reserves except for Thompson plays in a small media market. Don't blame Mitchell's snub on "market."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Obviously someone misses out - but I think DeMar DeRozen was a bit unlucky.

Since the game is no longer East vs West I don't think that the player selection should be confined to a set number from each conference.
You can't snub the East fan base by not including an equal number of players from their conference.

You really think the guy that is the 3rd option on a great team is more deserving than the guy that has defensive game plan drawn up to stop him every night?

Klay almost never sees a double team. He is 3rd on the scouting report and the other 2 are sure fire hall of famers that may be the best to ever play their positions offensively. IS he a good player? Sure. Could he be an All Star? Sure. Is he more deserving that Donovan? No way.
While I agree on all your points about Klay, if Donovan Mitchell has a case then why wouldn't De'Aaron Fox?

Mitchell is scoring nearly 5 more points per game, but Fox averages over 3 more assists, has better shooting percentages, PER and is also on a winning team, while being a focal point of defenses looking to slow the KINGS pace.

I think it could easily be argued that Fox has had a better season than Mitchell. Yet nobody is making a case that he was snubbed.

You can't snub the East fan base by not including an equal number of players from their conference.
It's a similar situation to the proposed top 16 teams playoffs structure to me. Teams, fan bases and players in the western conference face an uphill battle simply due to the conference structure and parity.

While I agree on all your points about Klay, if Donovan Mitchell has a case then why wouldn't De'Aaron Fox?

Mitchell is scoring nearly 5 more points per game, but Fox averages over 3 more assists, has better shooting percentages, PER and is also on a winning team, while being a focal point of defenses looking to slow the KINGS pace.

I think it could easily be argued that Fox has had a better season than Mitchell. Yet nobody is making a case that he was snubbed.
Because he's not and neither in Mitchell. I don't think Gobert is worthy either. All of these guys are borderline all-stars but borderline isn't good enough when there are only 12 spots.

As slim said, that's the breaks.

If Gobert and Mitchell wanted to be all-stars they should have won more. Gobert talks like he is on great top-tier team yet their record is only 30-24.

Because he's not and neither in Mitchell.
I agree. Just making the point since he only seemed to be considering Mitchell.

I don't think Gobert is worthy either.
I've been hard on Gobert over the years because I largely believe him to be overrated. But in this case, I do think he was a much bigger snub. I wouldn't have had a problem had he made it.

All of these guys are borderline all-stars but borderline isn't good enough when there are only 12 spots.

As slim said, that's the breaks.

If Gobert and Mitchell wanted to be all-stars they should have won more. Gobert talks like he is on great top-tier team yet their record is only 30-24.
Agree on all these points.

Also, every year someone has a case. It's the way of the NBA. In the past it's been Damien Lillard. Now that he's on, it's someone else. There's no way around it unless they increase the roster size (which then lessens the meaning of making the team).

Klay and Towns is not more deserving than DeRozan or Gobert or Harris.

Klay is way over rated. Hope heaves the worries so we can see what he can do away from Curry and Durant

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It's not even that Mitchell and Gobert don't "deserve" to be All-Stars, if you continue to insist on that particular term. It's just that they don't inherently "deserve" it more than anybody else.

If there was a cap on number of players eligible for the all-star game from a single team each season- to say ... 2 - then maybe there would be less super teams and more players willing to play for smaller markets. Also could be cool if the host city automatically had one of their players selected as a starter (or captain) - just like the world cup.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If there was a cap on number of players eligible for the all-star game from a single team each season- to say ... 2 - then maybe there would be less super teams and more players willing to play for smaller markets. Also could be cool if the host city automatically had one of their players selected as a starter (or captain) - just like the world cup.
I don't follow your logic completely. Limiting the number of all-stars from a single team is interesting. I don't think it would lead to fewer super teams and more players willing to play for smaller markets, however. Top tier players don't sign with teams to be all-stars. They sign with teams to win championships.

I don't follow your logic completely. Limiting the number of all-stars from a single team is interesting. I don't think it would lead to fewer super teams and more players willing to play for smaller markets, however. Top tier players don't sign with teams to be all-stars. They sign with teams to win championships.
Some top players may not join a team with two established stars if it meant they could not participate in the all star game. Some players will still join - and be willing to sacrifice an appearance just as others have been willing to sacrifice salary. Similarly, there may be some teams less willing to embrace new talent if it impaired their ability to make the all star team. For example - if there was a two all star limit - would GS be willing to welcome KD if it meant that neither Klay nor Green had any chance of making the ASG (and had AS salary incentive in their contracts)? It's not a complete solution - but disincentive nonetheless.

Last edited:
You know what really helps motivate players to play/stay in smaller markets? Competence.
Competence is not the sole predictor (and you know this right?). Examples: Kawhi leaving SA, Gordon Hayward leaving Utah. Nor is the interaction between an organisations 'competence' and a star players desires a one way street... And nothing about my comment suggested teams had license to be incompetent while remaining entitled to star players... Anyway. I offered a thought. Others can choose to think about it or dismiss it and the world will still turn...

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Competence is not the sole predictor (and you know this right?). Examples: Kawhi leaving SA, Gordon Hayward leaving Utah.
Poor examples. Leonard and Hayward wanted out of San Antonio and Utah, respectively, because they both felt done wrong by the organization. And, objectively, they were both right. Had the Spurs not handled Leonard's injury the way they did, and had Utah showed Hayward the money, rather than make a statement saying that they were going to wait to see if he earned it, they're both still playing for the teams they started on.

Nor is the interaction between an organisations 'competence' and a star players desires a one way street...
I mean, I guess, but there aren't really any examples of players leaving competent small markets, when there wasn't some other form of breakdown in the relationship between the player and management.
  • The only real example I can think of for a star player leaving a competent small market is Kevin Durant, and your "two All-Star limit" suggestion wouldn't have done anything to stop that from happening.
  • To say nothing of the fact that you could make the argument that there aren't twelve competent franchises in the NBA right now, depending on what your threshold for "competence" happens to be... Which means that a "two All-Star limit" could force an All-Star player to sign with an 'incompetent' franchise, which is just another way of rewarding franchises for being incompetent. I'm not here for any of that.
  • Finally, what happens when you have a situation like the Warriors, when they had four All-Stars last year, but they drafted three of them? In that case, a "two All-Star limit" penalizes a team for being competent.

Anyway. I offered a thought.
And I offered a thought on your thought. So... where are we now?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Some top players may not join a team with two established stars if it meant they could not participate in the all star game. Some players will still join - and be willing to sacrifice an appearance just as others have been willing to sacrifice salary. Similarly, there may be some teams less willing to embrace new talent if it impaired their ability to make the all star team. For example - if there was a two all star limit - would GS be willing to welcome KD if it meant that neither Klay nor Green had any chance of making the ASG (and had AS salary incentive in their contracts)? It's not a complete solution - but disincentive nonetheless.
You're assuming facts not in evidence.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
so you won't watch Buddy in the three point and Fox in the Skills and Bagley in the Rising Stars?
I MIGHT be tempted to watch the 3 point shootout.

Skills and dunk are terrible, and I’m not watching a second of either of the “Games” held. Bagley will likley have some sweet sweet highlight dunks to check out after though.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I MIGHT be tempted to watch the 3 point shootout.

Skills and dunk are terrible, and I’m not watching a second of either of the “Games” held. Bagley will likley have some sweet sweet highlight dunks to check out after though.
when was the last time you watched an entire All-Star weekend?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
when was the last time you watched an entire All-Star weekend?
It’s been a long time. I haven’t watched the actual all-star game in years... the other game probably not since rookie/sophomore.

I WAS stoked when Boogie was in the Skills comp.