[2015] The Finals

Who ya got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In the last few possessions, LeBron opted to take 3pt shots and missed. It's not that he isn't O.K. with the 3-ball, but he is more useful as an interior bait. Cavs should have run mid-range iso for LeBron.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Hopefully this is the end of the "Isaiah Thomas is better than Kyrie" nonsense. I was more impressed with his performance tonight than any other player in the game. You knew the game was over as soon as he limped off the court.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I didn't say he was the best player in the game. Everyone knew Lebron and Steph were going to go off. They're both MVPs. This was Kyrie's first Finals game and he came in injured but he was a star for Cleveland tonight. 23 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 TO, 4 steals, 2 blocks including a game saving block at the end of regulation. He was making big plays down the stretch for Cleveland, proving that he's just as important to Cleveland as Klay Thompson is to Golden State.

aaaaaaand it's over.
Feeling the same way. A little bummed because this was shaping up to be an incredible series. If the Warriors manage to lose this series it might be the worst collapse in NBA history. The seas have basically been parted for them. Accounting for a LeBron beast mode performance somewhere along the way, Warriors in 5.

The Warriors are a hell of a team, but it does feel like everything worked out in their favor...

1) 1st round, Jrue Holiday was injured. (Not like the Pelicans would've won)
2) 2nd round, Mike Conley injured and played through injury. (toss up on who wins)
3) Clippers and Spurs get a 1st round matchup together(both have a great chance in beating the Warriors)
3.5) Spurs barely lost, and would've probably beat the Warriors in any given series
4) Clippers choke out their golden opportunity. (Clippers vs. Warriors probably would've gone to 7)
5) Semi-finals, Houston miraculously makes it, but they're out 2 starters and Josh Smith went back to Josh Smith form.
6) Finals, Cleveland is without their starting PF, and have an injured Kyrie.. game 1, Kyrie gets injured and is out for the season.
8) Have had a great non major injury season

This season absolutely sucks for injuries. Almost every team in the NBA has suffered a major injury lost, but the Warriors have had great luck. I think the Finals were destined for them this season.

What makes you think the Clippers or Spurs could have beaten the Warriors or taken them to 7?

When the Clippers couldn't even beat the injury plagued Rockets, who went on to stomped by GSW.

What makes you think the Clippers or Spurs could have beaten the Warriors or taken them to 7?

When the Clippers couldn't even beat the injury plagued Rockets, who went on to stomped by GSW.
The Spurs' offense exposes the flaws in the Warriors' defense. The Warriors are a great defensive team who know how to switch and cover almost every inch, however when there's an extra pass on top of an extra pass, that is where things get messed up for the Warriors.
Another reasoning, Khawi would be able to cover the living heck out of Curry/Thompson. Same with Green. They won't shut either player down, but they're one of the only back courts (if you count 1-3) that would be able to stop the Splash Bros. Good luck to Green stopping old man Duncan.

Clippers absolutely choked.. I have no clue what happened in Houston. 3-1 and they lose. The Clippers are the only other team at full health. They have CP3 who can actually matchup very well against Curry on both ends. Their offense consists of PnR something that Curry can't defend. Most of the time, Warrior defenders close into the paint in order to help, this open opportunities for wide open shots, cutters, and lobs.

The Clippers would actually give the Warriors a shot for the Finals unlike the injured Rockets. Everyone knew that the Warriors would be in the finals as soon as the Clippers lost game 7. Clippers vs. Warriors would go to game 7 because both have dynamic defenses and offenses. Top 2 PGs in the NBA going 1 on 1. Top 5 rim protectors going 1 on 1. Top 5 wing defender going against arguably the best PF in the game. (Yes I do believe he is better than AD at this current stage in both careers).
Top 10 shooters going 1 on 1.

It would've been an amazing matchup to watch.

I just think that the Warriors winning the #1 seed did wonders for them. However, when you factor in the fact that the Spurs were the #2 seed one night, then the #7 the next, it really tells you how good the West is. I think everything good that could've happened for the Warriors, eventually did.

206Fan - all correct, and you saved me a lot of typing. :)
And it wasn't just Conley, but Allen (who had been shutting down Curry multiple games) also got injured, which killed the Grizzlies chances.

Truly, the Warriors have had the most fortunate run to a championship I can ever remember seeing.
In addition to Curry having one of the most historic playoffs in history, and they were destined to win.
I really don't see how Curry can play any better than he has this playoff run - let's put it this way; if he does, he will become one of the GOAT...

K

KingMilz

206Fan - all correct, and you saved me a lot of typing. :)
And it wasn't just Conley, but Allen (who had been shutting down Curry multiple games) also got injured, which killed the Grizzlies chances.
Truly, the Warriors have had the most fortunate run to a championship I can ever remember seeing.
In addition to Curry having one of the most historic playoffs in history, and they were destined to win.
I really don't see how Curry can play any better than he has this playoff run - let's put it this way; if he does, he will become one of the GOAT...
They created there own luck by dominating the NBA in the most stacked conference in some time. Nothing fortunate about winning 67 games about beating/trashing good team's in Houston/Memphis.

The Warriors were so dominant they had the luxury of resting star players/limiting there playing time and not putting any undue stress on them which could have caused injury.

Golden State has by a massive margin been the best team in the NBA no "what if's"about it people need to stop trying to take away from there quality play with excuses.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Your MVP is a PG.

Rnd 1: opposing former All Star PG coming off injury, coming off bench on minutes limitation. Guy who took his place injuries ankle in Game 1 of series.
Rnd 2: opposing borderline All Star PG, noted defender, gets his face broken at the end of the previous series. He's never right, even hsi abckup Beno is limited, and one game you even get to face Nick Calathes.
Rnd 3: opposing nasty/dirty top defensive roleplaying PG has been out for a moth, tries to come back, but cannot, so you get to face 37 year old Jason "Biplane" Terry.
Rnd 4: opposing All Star PG has been injured all playoffs, comes back to play a strong game against you, and then promptly breaks his kneecap in OT of Game 1 and is lost for the series (and 3-4 months). Now you get to face a dude named Delly who wasn't even in the league at the beginning of the year.

Nope, nothing fortuitous about that run at all. Other than it being pretty much unprecedented in my memory. Plenty of playoff teams have gotten lucky and escaped a series when the other team lost a star player. But to have the absolute key personnel to match up with your best player out or limited in every single series? This has been reverse vodoo of the highest order.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
My first thought is I'm gutted for Kyrie. Hate seeing injuries potentially decide a series.

My second thought is Golden ****ing State are the luckiest team going for a ring I've ever seen. Never seen such an easy path to a ring. Every PG Curry has faced either was a backup or carrying serious injuries. Never seen that before. The basketball God's rolled out the red carpet for GS like I've never seen before.

Let me know when they win a real ring. This season is an injury riddled fluke. They aren't facing any Kobe/Shaq duo like we had to. They didn't even have to face SA who I still doubt they could beat. They've beaten beaten up teams carrying numerous injuries. At least Dirk actually went out and beat the Big 3. GS is supposed to get props for beating the Big 1 with the other two watching in suits? Not from me they won't. I can't tell you how much I want Cuz to smash these guys next year.

I'm putting an asterisk next to this season.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Your MVP is a PG.

Rnd 1: opposing former All Star PG coming off injury, coming off bench on minutes limitation. Guy who took his place injuries ankle in Game 1 of series.
Rnd 2: opposing borderline All Star PG, noted defender, gets his face broken at the end of the previous series. He's never right, even hsi abckup Beno is limited, and one game you even get to face Nick Calathes.
Rnd 3: opposing nasty/dirty top defensive roleplaying PG has been out for a moth, tries to come back, but cannot, so you get to face 37 year old Jason "Biplane" Terry.
Rnd 4: opposing All Star PG has been injured all playoffs, comes back to play a strong game against you, and then promptly breaks his kneecap in OT of Game 1 and is lost for the series (and 3-4 months). Now you get to face a dude named Delly who wasn't even in the league at the beginning of the year.

Nope, nothing fortuitous about that run at all. Other than it being pretty much unprecedented in my memory. Plenty of playoff teams have gotten lucky and escaped a series when the other team lost a star player. But to have the absolute key personnel to match up with your best player out or limited in every single series? This has been reverse vodoo of the highest order.
so that must mean that the Kings need to get off that Indian burial ground they've been playing on since their existence. Maybe then, and only then can we see a run at a title in our lifetimes.

K

KingMilz

No asterisks being the best team in the NBA......Warriors would be favorites against any and every fully healthy team this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No asterisks being the best team in the NBA......Warriors would be favorites against any and every fully healthy team this year.
I think they would have. Its why you can't go all the way on the luck angle. They PROBABLY would have won it anyway. Probably. But they have had every single break possible to make it not only easy for them, but especially easy for Curry. And so there is an asterisk, just as there is for most Eastern Conference Champions these days. GS was never seriously challenged by a team worthy of challenging, or healthy enough to challenge. No old experienced champs to go through, and not even any healthy, at PG of all things, also rans. That's the bizarre thing. The Cavs being without Love was one thing. The Grizzlies losing Allen another. But every single series having the PGs injured when you are a team that depends on your PG to carry you?? That's pretty amazing, and has taken series and challengers who might have made things at least interesting and just made them into one of the most preordained playoffs we have seen.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
They created there own luck by dominating the NBA in the most stacked conference in some time. Nothing fortunate about winning 67 games about beating/trashing good team's in Houston/Memphis.

The Warriors were so dominant they had the luxury of resting star players/limiting there playing time and not putting any undue stress on them which could have caused injury.

Golden State has by a massive margin been the best team in the NBA no "what if's"about it people need to stop trying to take away from there quality play with excuses.
There weren't really any great teams out west this year for them to have to get through. There is a lot of transition happening in the western conference. You either had teams that are on their last legs and that are on the downhill slope or young teams that are caught in the middle. There is a reason the Hawks and Warriors made such easy work of their respective conferences in the regular season. And I really like how the Warriors play but c'mon, I've never seen a more charmed playoff run I don't think.

My first thought is I'm gutted for Kyrie. Hate seeing injuries potentially decide a series.

My second thought is Golden ****ing State are the luckiest team going for a ring I've ever seen. Never seen such an easy path to a ring. Every PG Curry has faced either was a backup or carrying serious injuries. Never seen that before. The basketball God's rolled out the red carpet for GS like I've never seen before.

Let me know when they win a real ring. This season is an injury riddled fluke. They aren't facing any Kobe/Shaq duo like we had to. They didn't even have to face SA who I still doubt they could beat. They've beaten beaten up teams carrying numerous injuries. At least Dirk actually went out and beat the Big 3. GS is supposed to get props for beating the Big 1 with the other two watching in suits? Not from me they won't. I can't tell you how much I want Cuz to smash these guys next year.

I'm putting an asterisk next to this season.
It wasn't all luck. The Spurs had control of their fate, they were healthy and they flat out lost that last game to the Pelicans. The Warriors path to the final is a whole lot tougher with the Spurs and Clips avoiding each other in the first round.

They also won 67 games and have looked impressive through out the playoffs. They don't deserve an asterisk, but they shouldn't be considered a historically a great, or even noteworthy, team until they have a title run that involves tougher competition or some adversity of their own.

Last edited:
The Warriors might win an NBA championship without even losing 20 games all season + postseason combined (they're 80-18 right now). Maybe it's time to just give them credit for being great instead of trying to discredit them for the Playoff run.

look at the Playoff cakewalks LeBron has had

The Warriors might win an NBA championship without even losing 20 games all season + postseason combined (they're 80-18 right now). Maybe it's time to just give them credit for being great instead of trying to discredit them for the Playoff run.

look at the Playoff cakewalks LeBron has had
Have to agree, when the stars align, it's just how it is. They were where we are for a large portion of the last decade with picks even lower than we've had. No big free agent signings either. Means we have no excuses.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
They also won 67 games and have looked impressive through out the playoffs. They don't deserve an asterisk, but they shouldn't be considered a historically a great, or even noteworthy, team until they have a title run that involves tougher competition or some adversity of their own.
I'll remove my asterisk when they actually go through a tough post season and face healthy lineups, beat them and then win a ring.

And I'm not saying they aren't good enough to do that, just that they haven't yet and this year's post season is a fluke. If we had their road to the Finals in our golden era we'd have a ring, maybe multiple.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Tonight's game will say a lot about the Cavaliers. Can they find a way to come together despite losing Irving for the remainder of the series? Can they rally around LeBron and give him at least a little of the help he's going to need? They really need to take one in Oracle before they head back to Cleveland. I'm no big LBJ fan, but I'm rooting for them to show something special.