#16 on the Kings

Not sure who was out there in the #16 jersey last night. It looked like a 6'9 version of Danny Ainge. A little pushing, a hard foul, taking the ball to the hoop with authority.

I can't believe I'm going to say this...gulp.... #16 showed a little TOUGHNESS!!! Okay, I did it. Just wanted to share my delight at what I saw. I thought it was so unique as to warrant a separate thread.

win, lose or draw ... if that version of #16 shows up to the playoffs, i don't see how any of his teammates would not be proud to go into battle with him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
webberfan said:
win, lose or draw ... if that version of #16 shows up to the playoffs, i don't see how any of his teammates would not be proud to go into battle with him.
I agree with this statement. Tonight Peja was a warrior. If he could just bottle the aggression and fight he displays on nights like this and the last San Antonio game I would feel much better about our chances this summer.

Peja has certain physical limitations -- he's never going to be as quick or jump as high as many of the athletes he plays against. But 90% of the softness problem with him exists squarely between his ears. On those nights he plays with fire he's a heck of a player. He's just never been able to sustain that or summon it consistently in big games.

Maybe we should hire somebody full time who's only job is to provoke Peja. Before every game he could just walk up and punch Peja right in the nads for inspiration. :)

I think Peja has really turned the corner. When a man finally becomes comfortable, and truly knows himself, it is usually a life-altering experience. I suspect that Peja will be very difficult to deal with now, that is if you are an opponent. He has the power, size, and basketball skills to do what he wants on the court. By the way, where is Bruce Bowen?

piksi

Hall of Famer
We can talk all day long here. Doesn't change a thing.

We know when it counts, he knows when it counts, the team know when it counts.

Untill then- stay healthy, stay in shape and win some games.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
piksi said:

Just looking for signs.

Nonetheless I agree with the general premise -- I think this is a make or break year for Peja as NBA superstar. When the playoffs roll around he either has a chance to atone and prove he's grown up, or he flames out once again and becomes Cliff Robinson -- talented player without the goods.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Good points all. I would like to belive that Pedja is intentionaly trying to get loowse to turn it loose. Every year his game develops new deminsions. Last season we saw Pedja the defender espcialy in the play offs. Here is hoping to see more spushing defenders bak, more barking at punks who get up in his jersey and more of those hard cuts to the hoop.

As one who has ofthen criticized Peja out of frustration I, too, wish to chime in with an "attaboy". I truly believe that Peja is a purist as a BB player, relishing the shear beauty of athletes running, jumping and playing a non-contact sport that rewards skill and physical discipline...avoiding collisions and intentional contact. But, alas, that is not the NBA and his gentle nature (found in many big people) works against him. It's like your kids...they can thrill you with unguided excellence one minute and then force you to be an _ _ _hole the next to restore order, even if your inclination is to let them settle it themselves and not be forced to intervene. His inclination is to let the refs call the game and that all things being equal he will get his share of calls. But we know that some refs respond to lobbying more than others and some ignore contact to the point of losing control of the game and forcing the players to "police" themselves and only then do these refs step in...kinda like last night. Anyway it's great to see him stand up for himself and let the other guys know that he is there for them as well.

although i don't condone violence of any kind

it was pretty enjoyable seeing Peja start swinging out there last night...refreshing AND i loved how i was thinking how refreshing it was to see that from and i KNEW i wasn't the only one thinking the same thing...it was apparent from everyone in the arena...

i never saw the game last year where him and JP went at it...so this was all so new to me but then again its Peja its STILL all so new to everyone

piksi said:

Dammit, couldnt have said that any better myself!

Bricklayer said:
Maybe we should hire somebody full time who's only job is to provoke Peja. Before every game he could just walk up and punch Peja right in the nads for inspiration. :)
Funny Shiet!!! LOL

Hopefully, more players start to irritate him to the point where he starts to swing his arm around. :D Not that I condone such act....;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Freak said:
I could so see Peja as one of those big vikings.

Predrag of Yugoslavia. lol
So far, he's shown ONE example of getting fed up. I think I'd wait a little before putting him on a boat with Hagar the Horrible, unless he's gonna be the one staying behind and making sure the oars don't fall into the water and drift away.

;)