Evans for Vasquez

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine 2 minutes ago

Three-way footnotes: Portland also gets Terrel Harris w/Robin Lopez, pays Lopez's $1.6M trade kicker and sends two second-rounders to SAC
I actually like that, especially since all our second round picks for the rest of the decade were traded away for that guy "Cash Considerations" so the Maloofs could pay their bar tab.

good lord, this is pathetic. i love how all of the posters so quick to criticize tyreke's game just because he played on a bad team are so ready and willing to excuse vasquez of the same. he's much less efficient than 'reke (43% from the field last season, and no better than evans from three), he's turnover prone, without much of a rim attack, and with a considerably lower ceiling. what a talent bleed. the gloaters can have their moment in the sun, but if the kings' vaunted cap space goes unused, or is spent on further mediocre talent, the new regime is poised to stack blunders on top of blunders in year one. so disappointed in their lack if vision, and in their poor management of one of the few genuine assets they had...
It's more about their obsession over true PGs being necessary to win, even though not only isn't it reall true it's almost the opposite in today's nba. The best teams have great one on one players that are supported by role players. It's an old school and frankly kind of lazy way to look at the game. Get someone who passes well, everyone scores easier and you win. Just doesn't usually work that way.

Thing is, an impact player isn't a role player, so not even AK would count. Are we going to flat out sign an impact, star FA in the coming weeks? Well, if we did it'd be the first time in Sac history we ever did that.

So, then we look at trades and absorbing salary for that impact player. Aside from Cuz, which player do we have that will garner an impact player in return, and on top of that do so while sending less salary than we receive?

Anyone thinking we can just acquire an impact player, I'd like to see some examples of what we can do in the next few weeks. Sounds fine until you think about our history as a market, the FA's available, and what it would take to trade for an impact player with the pieces we have.
Exactly my concern about the cap space value argument from the last 5+ years.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I am holding back on judging this move until I see what PDA does with the cap space. If the Iggy deal has been simmering and we land him ora deal is in place for another top FA then I will give props to PDA. But if all he did was turn Tyreke Evans into Vasques and a middling second tier layer I will be very concerned.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
good lord, this is pathetic. i love how all of the posters so quick to criticize tyreke's game just because he played on a bad team are so ready and willing to excuse vasquez of the same. he's much less efficient than 'reke (43% from the field last season, and no better than evans from three), he's turnover prone, without much of a rim attack, and with a considerably lower ceiling. oh, not to mention the fact that he's yet another weak defender on a team full of guards who couldn't stop my grandma. what a talent bleed. the gloaters can have their moment in the sun, but if the kings' vaunted cap space goes unused, or is spent on further mediocre talent, the new regime is poised to stack blunders on top of blunders in year one. so disappointed in their lack if vision, and in their poor management of one of the few genuine assets they had...
Be careful Padrino, you sound like you're ready to jump off a cliff.

I am holding back on judging this move until I see what PDA does with the cap space. If the Iggy deal has been simmering and we land him ora deal is in place for another top FA then I will give props to PDA. But if all he did was turn Tyreke Evans into Vasques and a middling second tier layer I will be very concerned.
Now I think iggy would be a bad move for the franchise, especially with the kind of money we discussed.

Sam Amick @sam_amick 2 minutes ago

As @Marc Stein noted, two 2nd rounders to Sacramento: I'm told it's Portland's 2014 & either Knicks' pick in 2016 or Portland's in 2018.

You basically post the same message over and over but each time it gets a little more subjective and a lot more baseless. I'm kind of hoping its a reflection of you enjoying your cocktails on the 4th.
"this move is stupid, Tyreke is going to be a star" "Fire PDA and screw Vivek". About all i have heard from you and your legion. I'm just being an objective fan, i am not going to ignore the deficiencies in Tyreke's game and how he hasn't improved them in 4 seasons, but I wish him the best, good guy. Yes, if Vasquez and Tyreke play a game of 1 on 1 basketball, Tyreke destroys him. Thank god NBA basketball is 5 on 5, and there are many intangibles that say Vasquez is a much better fit for this team than Tyreke.

So how would you build around Tyreke? Same way the Sixers and other NBA teams tried to build around Iverson. Surround him with defensive players that can spot shoot 3, and garbage men. That would be assuming Tyreke ever becomes a star. I'd much rather get a true pg and build up guys with higher ceilings in Cousins and McLemore(elite shooting and athelte).

good lord, this is pathetic. i love how all of the posters so quick to criticize tyreke's game just because he played on a bad team are so ready and willing to excuse vasquez of the same. he's much less efficient than 'reke (43% from the field last season, and no better than evans from three), he's turnover prone, without much of a rim attack, and with a considerably lower ceiling. oh, not to mention the fact that he's yet another weak defender on a team full of guards who couldn't stop my grandma. what a talent bleed. the gloaters can have their moment in the sun, but if the kings' vaunted cap space goes unused, or is spent on further mediocre talent, the new regime is poised to stack blunders on top of blunders in year one. so disappointed in their lack if vision, and in their poor management of one of the few genuine assets they had...
So they should have just kept the same team with a new coach and that would have satisfied your vision for the team? What?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
It seems you've already made a conclusion that this trade won't work out as if the combo of Cousins and Tyreke was going so well. Did it ever occur to you that maybe their games don't compliment each other?
Did it ever occur to you to try a Reke/Cuz foundation under a real coach with complementary players? Seems you've jumped to the conclusion it can't work based on two years under Keith f'ing Smart with a crap roster and crap system.

Wow, who unlocked the door and let the dimwits in?
I'm supposed to be the only dimwit here.. What's going on!? I SWEAR that's not me on 20 different accounts. Apparently we have people that wouldn't speak out for change until it happened?

I dont see how vasquez is such a shi##y basketball player compared to tyreke. The gap isnt that big. Couldve we traded for a better peice? Yes always the case. But who else were we going to take? Xavier henry? Lol

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
You know what?
Y'all are right.
We're getting this guy, and he's pretty bad-***...

I'm off to enjoy the 4th. Maybe we all should do the same, and the mess will clear itself up. Peace.

Anyone thinking we can just acquire an impact player, I'd like to see some examples of what we can do in the next few weeks
Toronto is allegedly looking to dump Gay for young players and/or cap flexibility. I seriously hope we didn't dump Evans in order to acquire him, that would drive me insane.

Thing is, an impact player isn't a role player, so not even AK would count. Are we going to flat out sign an impact, star FA in the coming weeks? Well, if we did it'd be the first time in Sac history we ever did that.

So, then we look at trades and absorbing salary for that impact player. Aside from Cuz, which player do we have that will garner an impact player in return, and on top of that do so while sending less salary than we receive?

Anyone thinking we can just acquire an impact player, I'd like to see some examples of what we can do in the next few weeks. Sounds fine until you think about our history as a market, the FA's available, and what it would take to trade for an impact player with the pieces we have.
I want this team to win and I know that you do to.

I'm going to have to wait and see what is done with the cap space. If they can bring in an impact player I won't be critical of how this played out...and if they fail to bring in an impact player than I will be critical.
Everything you mentioned in regards to bringing in impact players is 100% correct.

My guess is that DA has certain moves he wants to make...and his best option is trying to absorb the salary of an impact player via trade. Guys like Granger or Rudy Gay. (As much as I didn't like Gay on our team with Tyreke/Cousins...Gay would actually be a much better fit with Vasquez/Cousins)

And that is why it goes back to FO flexibility. Let's say that all of DA's plans fall through...and we are left with nothing but cap space. If that happens...then it's hard to say that the FO made the most of Tyreke as an asset.

Did it ever occur to you to try a Reke/Cuz foundation under a real coach with complementary players? Seems you've jumped to the conclusion it can't work based on two years under Keith f'ing Smart with a crap roster and crap system.
Ever since Cousins was drafted, I don't remember a game where I thought "these two play great together."

So they should have just kept the same team with a new coach and that would have satisfied your vision for the team? What?
can't speak for Padrino, but my vision included everybody except for Reke and Cuz being on the trading block. those were the two talents, the rest is either utterly replaceable or downright sucks.

woo hoo, capspace, greivis, iggy & some second rounders here we coooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......................................................

i think we'll load up on vets just to make the playoffs this upcoming season. as soon as they decline which they will, we'll be stuck in mediocrity for years. cuz will leave and we will be rebuilding once again. mark my words

No, but I would have kept Reke, McLemore and Cousins and got rid of everyone else. Build around those 3 and go from there. You don't make your elite prospects fit around role players. You find role players to fit your best talents. I feel like all some of you watch is the Kings and know nothing of the NBA. Sissy ball doesn't win in the NBA. When the defenses get tighter and your system breaks down, YOU NEED guys who can create for themselves.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I'm supposed to be the only dimwit here.. What's going on!? I SWEAR that's not me on 20 different accounts. Apparently we have people that wouldn't speak out for change until it happened?
Gary, we've always disagreed about how Evans should be used, but I've never questioned your intelligence...openly. ;)
I know we both want the team to do well, and hopefully there are more moves. We'll see what shakes out.

No, but I would have kept Reke, McLemore and Cousins and got rid of everyone else. Build around those 3 and go from there. You don't make your elite prospects fit around role players. You find role players to fit your best talents. I feel like all some of you watch is the Kings and know nothing of the NBA. Sissy ball doesn't win in the NBA. When the defenses get tighter and your system breaks down, YOU NEED guys who can create for themselves.
thats why lbj had open looks in the finals. they sagged off him really bad. terrified that he would get to the cup and free up open 3pt shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.