Evans for Vasquez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I get mocked for thinking a guy who "has not even stepped foot on a NBA floor" is going to be good and the basis of the mocking is compared to a guy who has not stepped foot on a college floor? I am the idiot here for seeing flaw in that?

come on you can look past that right? look at the things he can do with the ball for his size (6'8). his handles are insane for his size, his athleticism is ridiculous, he can shoot the long shot......
VF, could you split this discussion into a 2014 prospects thread? We need to get one going.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SO they traded Tyreke away for someone they didn't even want?
No, they utilized the sign and trade to at least get something for Tyreke since the only other alternative was let him walk for nothing...

This stuff goes on every single year. It's just that before Twitter we didn't hear about all of it. And Geoff Petrie was notoriously tight lipped. I cannot remember the details but I do know that he actually pulled one deal off the table when details were leaked to the press by the player's agent.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m

Calderon turned down Kings offer within past hour, ultimately deciding against a full-blown rebuilding project, sources tell Y!

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 34s

With Calderon out of play, Sacramento has green-lighted the three-team trade, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 1m

New Orleans, Portland and Sacramento have just verbally agreed to complete three-way trade July 10 that locks up Tyreke Evans as a Pelican

So apparently like the pelicans, we also would prefer someone else at pg.
If that report is true then I can only guess the reasoning was Calderon's experience and veteran presence. The team has needed a vet guard for some time. Calderon wouldn't be my first choice though.

great

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m
With Calderon out of play, Sacramento has green-lighted the three-team trade, league sources tell Y! Sports.

If that report is true then I can only guess the reasoning was Calderon's experience and veteran presence. The team has needed a vet guard for some time. Calderon wouldn't be my first choice though.
Well let's be fair, they probably gave Calderon a offer after meeting with him and told him to think it over. Then when they started to work out a S&T with NO, they had to wait and see what Calderon decided to do. Of course they don't want Vasquez if Calderon signed, hence looking to flip him and Lopez to other teams instead. Now that Calderon said no thanks, then the deal is back on.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm not surprised some people like this because Vasquez averaged 9 ast last year and they get all hot and bothered over someone who can pass, as if there isn't/wasn't another way to accomplish the goal of improved passing without giving up our 2nd best player who's 23 yrs old and has clear All Star potential as a top two way player.

This is likely a huge ****ing mistake. We just moved Reke for an average PG with one decent year under his belt at 26 yrs old, who's career highlight was averaging 13/9 on a team which finished behind us last year, who has less than half the upside as Reke and in no way has a chance to be a game changing type of talent. Career averages of 9/5.7.

When you get more excited about a Vasquez/MLM backcourt than what Reke/MLM backcourt likely would have been on both sides of the ball, and get excited about trading away a 23 yr old with star two-way ability and game changing talent for a role player with career averages of 9/5.7 and is already 26, well, it says a lot about your understanding of this league. Some think with their heads, others think with their purple hearts.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Chris Haynes
Chris Haynes @ChrisBHaynes 2 minutes ago

MT @Adrian Wojnarowski In proposed 3-way deal, Kings send Tyreke to N.O., Vasquez to Sacramento & Robin Lopez to #Blazers. Port sends picks, cash.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2Y72AgrmW

We better be getting at least a 1st rounder
why do we get all the details of the players and teams involved but no elaboration on the picks?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not surprised some people like this because Vasquez averaged 9 ast last year and they get all hot and bothered over someone who can pass, as if there isn't/wasn't another way to accomplish the goal of improved passing without giving up our 2nd best player who's 23 yrs old and has clear All Star potential as a top two way player.

This is likely a huge ****ing mistake. We just moved Reke for an average PG with one decent year under his belt at 26 yrs old, who's career highlight was averaging 13/9 on a team which finished behind us last year, who has less than half the upside as Reke and in no way has a chance to be a game changing type of talent. Career averages of 9/5.7.

When you get more excited about a Vasquez/MLM backcourt than what Reke/MLM backcourt likely would have been on both sides of the ball, and get excited about trading away a 23 yr old with star two-way ability and game changing talent for a role player with career averages of 9/5.7 and is already 26, well, it says a lot about your understanding of this league. Some think with their heads, others think with their purple hearts.

pretty much this.

Absolutely terrible. Since the McLemore pick was a no-brainer, I am not impressed with this start PDA. If Tyreke was unrestricted then maybe I'd be ok with, but RESTRICTED. Wow

Well let's be fair, they probably gave Calderon a offer after meeting with him and told him to think it over. Then when they started to work out a S&T with NO, they had to wait and see what Calderon decided to do. Of course they don't want Vasquez if Calderon signed, hence looking to flip him and Lopez to other teams instead. Now that Calderon said no thanks, then the deal is back on.
True, it could be a timing thing.

The cash actually makes sense if they are planning on Amnestying Salmons. If you are going to spend an additional 20MM in FA or other trades where we take on bigger contracts, then having the cash to offset the outflow is smart. Just because this ownership isn't broke, don't expect them to spend like the Knicks or Lakers.

No, they utilized the sign and trade to at least get something for Tyreke since the only other alternative was let him walk for nothing...

This stuff goes on every single year. It's just that before Twitter we didn't hear about all of it. And Geoff Petrie was notoriously tight lipped. I cannot remember the details but I do know that he actually pulled one deal off the table when details were leaked to the press by the player's agent.
Well there is always the option of overplaying him a bit and then if he doesn't work out then trade him for someone you do want. What they did instead was trade Tyreke for cap space and a lesser player who they would move to make way for their free agent signings.

Apparently no one told them that Sacramento, even without the stench of the Maloofs, isn't exactly a place many FA's want to go to. So we have now been turned down by Calderon and had Iguodala think twice about the generous contract we offered him.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
BTW, it seems the last thing we're committed to is defense. Actually, it seems like our FO has no ****ing clue what they're doing right now and what their priorities are.

We're about to quickly turn into a run and gun, non defensive basketball squad which isn't good enough to compete with the best, nor bad enough to get a high pick and replace the star talent we just traded away. We're heading towards the deadzone, not contending, not rebuilding and acquiring star talent, and some will eat it up because it will be pretty. They love their up and down, fast breaking, high scoring basketball. Pretty ball. Yet, it's won nothing in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.