Kings in mix for Iguodala

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said it was.

I'm scared to death about giving Iggy a big long term deal, let alone max.

Those type of contracts for guys in his situation and career arc usually end up one of those notorious 'worst most unmovable contracts in the NBA' types down the line.

Don't forget that these aren't the days of 7 year contracts anymore. 3 years later and he's a monstro expiring.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Not sure how a Maxed out Iguodala is better than an 11/per Evans...
I wouldn't give Iggy the max just to be clear. I know someone said that but not most of us that are discussing him. That would be a silly thing to do especially if it cost us Tyreke. I am holding out for clearing as much salary as possible so we can fit Iggy under the cap and then signing Tyreke, McLemore, and McCallum. I hope PDA has thought of options and has the connections that can make it happen. If he doesn't, we sign Tyeke. I rethought the Iggy >> Tyreke and beg the forgiveness of the powers that be. I suspect brick will forgive me but Spike will make my life a living hell.

Last edited:
At least with Evans at 11, we can still have some cap flexibility to make some moves to even out the roster. If you max Iguodala, then you're pretty much done. I figured the draft would have shown the FO that our superfluous pieces aren't so easy to move.
I'll wait until the ink dries, but none of these rumors are passing the smell test on a supposedly smart and cap wise FO.

Entity

Hall of Famer
That would be great, but first you have to find a team willing to take MT for basically nothing. it's not so easy I guess. The easiest way to free up some cap space is to amnesty Salmons and trade Jimmer for a future second round pick.
or convince Denver in a sign and trade Andre for MT.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Man they absolutely need too find a way too retain Reke and sign Iggy... I dont care if we give up a future draft pick plus all our other assets. an Reke/Mclemore/Iggy/Cousins Core is playoff bound possibly next year. Im sure we could unload some bad contracts with picks, JT, IT, rights to bodiroga, perhaps ?

We match up well with the heat too. Reke guarding Wade, Iggy on Lebron, Cousins abusing bosh in the paint.
I am more of this idea than anything else.

In fairness, GWall isn't nearly as skilled as Iggy. It's close to what Iggy was currently on anyway. His deal will also come off the books when it's time to re-up Ben so if they overpay and make the team better in the process it's all good. Maybe.
Yea but Wallace was 10 per, Iggy's max starts at 19, likely heads to Amar'e territory at the end of it.

Man they absolutely need too find a way too retain Reke and sign Iggy... I dont care if we give up a future draft pick plus all our other assets. an Reke/Mclemore/Iggy/Cousins Core is playoff bound possibly next year. Im sure we could unload some bad contracts with picks, JT, IT, rights to bodiroga, perhaps ?

We match up well with the heat too. Reke guarding Wade, Iggy on Lebron, Cousins abusing bosh in the paint.
I think they'd only trade those if they could land MJ or Magic, but if they could get Bird or a young Kevin Garnett they'd be stupid to pass that up.

If Raps can get rid of Bargnani, getting rid of MT CAN defintiely be done! I wouldnt mind the same type of deal raps got for bargs. crappy players and a late 1st.

I think putting out rumors of max deals might be them trying to get Denver engaged in a possible sign and trade. Nobody should give Iggy the max but crazy stuff in free agency happens all the time.

He's a 10 year vet.

14-15 max is for RFAs like Tyreke - Iggy's max is like or around those of Dwight, CP3 etc.
Sorry about the mixup, I was wrong.

He's not a 10 year vet yet - his max would start at 19 if he was a FA next year, this year it'll start at 16 million and grow from there (4.5% iirc if it's with another team)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Iggy wasn't worth that last year -- just on the end of a big contract. he won't get it now. I can see him getting paid $12mil maybe.

People like to pee on Reke like its a plank, but Iggy last year was 13.0pts (.451 .317 .574) 5.3reb 5.4ast, and not getting any younger. The defense is great, but that doesn't a max player make. His last three years he's averaged 14.1pts 12.4pts 13.0pts on .445, .454, .451.

You can't just look at production. The SF position is easily more valuable these days than the combo guard spot. Too many stars at SF right now to come into every game at such a disadvantage in both size and talent. This team doesn't need scoring as much as it needs size and defense at SF. In Iggy at least you're getting an equally good play maker. But max is certainly overboard but at least it would only be for 4 years.

Iggy wasn't worth that last year -- just on the end of a big contract. he won't get it now. I can see him getting paid $12mil maybe.

People like to pee on Reke like its a plank, but Iggy last year was 13.0pts (.451 .317 .574) 5.3reb 5.4ast, and not getting any younger. The defense is great, but that doesn't a max player make. His last three years he's averaged 14.1pts 12.4pts 13.0pts on .445, .454, .451.
Kings, Dallas, Houston, ATL, Detroit, Denver - those a just teams with space and would sign him. He'll get 15+ million at least.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kings, Dallas, Houston, ATL, Detroit, Denver - those a just teams with space and would sign him. He'll get 15+ million at least.
Based on what?

Just because a team has money doesn't mean they are going to throw max at a 13-5-5 guy. be interesting. I am sure he will be looking/his agent will be pressing for it. But he was a bad contract last year. He would be an even worse one next year at those rates. You can't pay Andre Igoudala like a franchise player.

I don't give 2 craps about Iggy's scoring. Denver is a score by committee team at any rate

He's one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA. He's a well-above average passer and rebounder for his position. And he's not a ball-dominant scorer, something we need to surround Cousins with.

Based on what?

Just because a team has money doesn't mean they are going to throw max at a 13-5-5 guy. be interesting. I am sure he will be looking/his agent will be expressing for it. But he was a bad contract last year. He would be an even worse one next year at those rates. You can't pay Andre Igoudala like a franchise player.
Based on he opted out of a larger deal, teams with cap space, other teams that would be interested in a S&T. You think he'd come to the Kings for anything less than $15m? I don't. We'll see, obviously, I hope not!

Based on what?

Just because a team has money doesn't mean they are going to throw max at a 13-5-5 guy. be interesting. I am sure he will be looking/his agent will be pressing for it. But he was a bad contract last year. He would be an even worse one next year at those rates. You can't pay Andre Igoudala like a franchise player.
My guess is it will take either 12 mil a year and a hell of a sales job by Vivek to get Iggy, or 13+ and he'll go to Atlanta or Dallas. If WE pay him 13+, I'd be surprised, but also very encouraged by the FO, as I think he's worth that on the right team.

Cuz max
Iggy 13mil
Tyreke 11+

clean up some dead weight (s+t, amnesty... somehow)

And I think that's barely doable, but worth it, then in four years as people have mentioned, you figure out a way to make Benny Mac, Reke, and Cuz, the big three, and see if you can retain Iggy for his twilight years at something like 5-6 mil for a few years, if it still makes sense at that point.

Nice. Good starting point. The 5th year is a little concerning, though.
Yeah, the per year isn't too bad, but that 5th year is a huge advantage for them, because his next contract won't be anywhere close. I'd imagine we'd have to come close in the total amount, something like $55 million for four years or so, to get his attention.

Welp, reports on Twitter now that Denver's opening offer to Iguodala is 5 years, $63 million, or $12.6 million per year.
That's actually great news.

It makes sense, though, that Andre is looking for a 5 year deal, probbly why he opted out in the first place. This is why it's go good to have a creative, cap expert of a GM. Get fancy PDA!

Status
Not open for further replies.