Jose Calderon visiting Sacramento

It means that our FO doesn't see IT, Jimmer and Thornton as part of our future. Calderon/Reke/McLemore don't look that bad to me.

Anyways, we are not going to sign all the FA we are talking to, but it's so great to have an active FO. New feeling for Kings fans!

I like it. Im from Canada, so I watched Jose for like a decade during his Raptor days. I think if we resign Evans, a Pass first PG like Calderon would be ideal too back him up. Jose's career assist/turnover ratio is pretty damn good too. 7.2 APG/1.73TOPG

It would be great too have a vet presence on our squad aswell.

K

KingMilz

Jeff Teague>>>>Jose if we losing Reke go after Teague and a SF who can space the floor, Caulderon is like 30+, Jeff is young makes no sense again.

Jeff Teague>>>>Jose if we losing Reke go after Teague and a SF who can space the floor, Caulderon is like 30+, Jeff is young makes no sense again.
I don't think they are looking for a replacement for Reke. And I'm sure he would work very well with him (he is a better Beno in my opinion). He also would bring veteran experience, which is very needed. Calderon makes much sense: great passer, good shooter, brings leadership and experience. You won't win anything with a team of 23-year-olds.

Teague will get a contract close too Ten Million per year I bet, theres no way we pay that if we retain Reke. Jose would be way cheaper.

the FO is certainly doing its diligence. that much i can appreciate. they've assured demarcus cousins that they have every intention of keeping him. they're big believers in their draft pick, ben mclemore. and they appear to want to keep tyreke evans, as well (although i want to see rubber meet road on 'reke's contract). so they've got at least two roster spots filled, with a third up in the air. as for the rest? i imagine ranadive/d'allesandro/malone see what most of us see: ill-fitting parts, not a one of which isn't expendable...

i'm a minor fan of jose calderon, though he's hardly a defensive upgrade over marcus thornton and isaiah thomas. that said, he's not a chucker, and he moves the ball extremely well. so i say start tyreke and mclemore, trade thornton (and jimmer, if possible), bring calderon off the bench as a sixth man, and shift isaiah thomas into a role as the fourth guard in the rotation. that's a backcourt with some serious potential...

the FO is certainly doing its diligence. that much i can appreciate. they've assured demarcus cousins that they have every intention of keeping him. they're big believers in their draft pick, ben mclemore. and they appear to want to keep tyreke evans, as well (although i want to see rubber meet road on 'reke's contract). so they've got at least two roster spots filled, with a third up in the air. as for the rest? i imagine ranadive/d'allesandro/malone see what most of us see: ill-fitting parts, not a one of which isn't expendable...

i'm a minor fan of jose calderon, though he's hardly a defensive upgrade over marcus thornton and isaiah thomas. that said, he's not a chucker, and he moves the ball extremely well. so i say start tyreke and mclemore, trade thornton (and jimmer, if possible), bring calderon off the bench as a sixth man, and shift isaiah thomas into a role as the fourth guard in the rotation. that's a backcourt with some serious potential...
I think Calderon would only come in as a replacement for Tyreke, unfortunately. That he is visiting the Kings tells me that they are looking for a replacement for Tyreke and not a complementary piece.

Despite Calderon's lack of defense, he is an excellent floor general, possibly the third or fourth best in the league at that role. We would absolutely need to find a rim protector and a strong defensive wing to pair with him, (besides McLemore) though.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
I love Calderon. Dude is a legit floor leader, he has insane efficiency, elite deep shooter, and he doesn't turn the ball over. If we're about getting Cousins easy looks, Calderon is a guy who can do it

It means that our FO doesn't see IT, Jimmer and Thornton as part of our future. Calderon/Reke/McLemore don't look that bad to me.

Anyways, we are not going to sign all the FA we are talking to, but it's so great to have an active FO. New feeling for Kings fans!
Uhh. Calderon is not going to take a 6th man role on a bad team. This will be for our starting PG slot

If we could somehow swing Calderon and a trade with the Suns, I could definitely go with

Calderon
McLemore
Dudley
Cousins
Gortat

We'd have 3 good outside shooters, one awesome assist man, two elite rebounders and one good rim protector. I think our offense would be good and our defense would be equally as bad...getting us to around the .500 mark. Sort of like the beginning of the glory years where we were exciting and could score, yet we'd give up a lot of points in the process. This way we could start with a decent core and then slowly add more pieces the next couple years until were firmly in the playoffs.

I think the rumor that FA's aren't interested in coming here has already been debunked. FA's are obviously intrigued about the new FO and the new regime

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Not quite yet. The good news is that our FO is being active. Who decides to eventually show, and at what overall cost, will decidedly be more telling.

I think the rumor that FA's aren't interested in coming here has already been debunked. FA's are obviously intrigued about the new FO and the new regime
i'm not really sure there's anybody who believes that no free agent is interested in signing with the kings. there will always be someone who will consider sacramento for a fat chunk of change. but it will never be a certain kind of someone. the kings did not meet with dwight howard, for example. they did not meet with chris paul. they will not meet with lebron james in the 2014 offseason, either. those guys aren't interested in coming here, and they probably never will be. but third tier guys like andre iguodala and jose calderon? lesser roleplayers like matt barnes? sure, the kings will be able to court that kinda talent every offseason, along with every other team in the nba...

i'm not really sure there's anybody who believes that no free agent is interested in signing with the kings. there will always be someone who will consider sacramento for a fat chunk of change. but it will never be a certain kind of someone. the kings did not meet with dwight howard, for example. they did not meet with chris paul. they will not meet with lebron james in the 2014 offseason, either. those guys aren't interested in coming here, and they probably never will be. but third tier guys like andre iguodala and jose calderon? lesser roleplayers like matt barnes? sure, the kings will be able to court that kinda talent every offseason, along with every other team in the nba...
Uh, nobody met with CP3. And I'm glad they never mentioned Howard.

But they did call LeBron.

I mean the difference is we're actively pursuing some of the best role player types in the FA class. I mean, Chuck Hayes was the biggest FA not on our team that we were actually linked to and signed in the past 7 years. How crazy is that?

Uh, nobody met with CP3. And I'm glad they never mentioned Howard.

But they did call LeBron.
hey, i don't want howard either. and i'm aware of the fact that nobody met with CP3. and that's precisely my point. this isn't LA, where you can fend off all other suitors simply by being LA. and even if "they did call lebron," you can make phone calls all day long, but that doesn't mean a damn thing if the player has no interest in coming to your team...

I mean the difference is we're actively pursuing some of the best role player types in the FA class. I mean, Chuck Hayes was the biggest FA not on our team that we were actually linked to and signed in the past 7 years. How crazy is that?
crazy, indeed. but that's on the maloofs, who flat-out refused to spend the money, and geoff petrie, who has never been terribly aggressive when it comes to free agency. so i definitely agree with your sentiment that it's nice to have a FO who are, at the very least, actively engaging the free agent market to determine what's out there, how it might all fit together, and how much it will cost to make it all fit together. it's intentional, as opposed to haphazard, which is the kindest descriptor i can think of to describe the previous regime's strategy in the last few seasons...

I think a starting backcourt of Reke and Calderon would work great with MLM coming off of the bench. Gives someone who shares the ball and can knock down the open shot. He might be the backup signing if we miss out on Iggy, in reality I think part of this is sort of a showing to the pistons that we are meeting with your guy if you're meeting with ours. The pistons have publicly said that they would perfer to have Calderon back.

Have y'all noticed that we NEVER used to see news that we were in talks with anyone, or that they came out here to talk with our front office?

Isn't it AWESOME that we have a FO and ownership group that's bringing in all these guys? It shows where their priorities are!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Oh FA's are coming to Sacrament... for meetings. When a top FA SIGNS then you can say things have changed in a meaningful fashion.

I love Calderon in terms of floor leadership, steady control of the offense, playmaking and his long ball, but his defense is arguably worse than Nash's. We'd have to go back to hiding him on the defensive end and I guess it would be entirely possible if we somehow retain Reke and sign Iggy.

Sounds like a replacement or leverage in the Reke talks, otherwise if Reke were retained there was be a logjam backcourt when more focus would apparently be needed elsewhere on the roster.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sounds like a replacement or leverage in the Reke talks, otherwise if Reke were retained there was be a logjam backcourt when more focus would apparently be needed elsewhere on the roster.
That really depends if we are intending to keep anyone in the backcourt other than Reke. Increasingly you have to doubt that (have we even looked at a player over 6'6" in the draft or free agency yet?), unless Nellie has secretly gotten his claws into Vivek and is advocating for a 5-guard lineup.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I love Calderon in terms of floor leadership, steady control of the offense, playmaking and his long ball, but his defense is arguably worse than Nash's. We'd have to go back to hiding him on the defensive end and I guess it would be entirely possible if we somehow retain Reke and sign Iggy.
Now see, that's the scenario which I don't think works. Reke and Iggy need the ball to do their thing. Calderon needs the ball to do his thing. So you can't have them all on the court together. Two of the three, maybe. But you need a McLemore type catch and shoot guy to mix in to keep pressure off ball dominance issues. While interesting, this move is also I would think somewhat of a backup. Unless we have a tricky sign and trade deal to offer Denver, I don't see how you could resign Reke, sign Iggy AND sign Calderon.

Calderon is getting older, he's been a parttime starter for some years now. Wonder if we are pitching him on the Jarret Jack role (just given our Golden State connected coaches/owner). Time to let starting go, be a 6th man.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Now see, that's the scenario which I don't think works. Reke and Iggy need the ball to do their thing. Calderon needs the ball to do his thing. So you can't have them all on the court together. Two of the three, maybe. But you need a McLemore type catch and shoot guy to mix in to keep pressure off ball dominance issues. While interesting, this move is also I would think somewhat of a backup. Unless we have a tricky sign and trade deal to offer Denver, I don't see how you could resign Reke, sign Iggy AND sign Calderon.

Calderon is getting older, he's been a parttime starter for some years now. Wonder if we are pitching him on the Jarret Jack role (just given our Golden State connected coaches/owner). Time to let starting go, be a 6th man.
Tyreke is still young, and we just drafted McCallum, another young PG. Could be the Kings are looking at Calderon as a mentor to these guys. One thing is for sure, defense aside, Calderon knows how to play the PG position. He would bring some veteran leadership. Now I'll start worrying about how he fits with Tyreke, McLemore, and Iggy, once I see Iggy's name on the dotted line. Or Tyreke's for that matter!

I think that's one of Iggy's strengths, that is to be able to create opportunities for himself and others. However, he also manages in that Kirilenko role where his unselfishness allows the ball to move around and either he drives and kicks, or drives for his own shot. He initiates the play right away and doesn't wait around.