Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Sergey Karasev
Position:
SF
Hgt: 6'7"
Wgt: 197
Projected Draft Number: #26 NBADraft.net/#22 Draftexpress.com
College Stats 2012-13: N/A

Mass's Review: Sergey Karasev is my favorite international player in this years draft. Despite being only 19, he is likely the most 'NBA ready' guy out of the overseas players. He lead the top Russian basketball league in scoring and did it very efficiently. He's a very fundamentally sound offensive player who can do it all from a skill standpoint. Very good deep shooter with a smooth release on his jumper. Good passer and facilitator. The only thing holding him back on that end is his size (needs to put on some weight) and his athleticism. I am a big believer in Karasev's offensive game. Has struggled finishing inside, but that should improve as he gets older.

Defense is another story. The effort is good, but he doesn't really have anything going for him on that end. He has good length, but lacks the athleticism to really stay in front of guys. Defense is clearly his biggest issue right now. He has been able to rebound at a decent clip, so he has that going for him.

The fact that Karasev was able to get 30MPG on a top Russian team is impressive to say the least, and honestly I am a little surprised that most mock drafts have him slated to go so late into the first round. I don't even think the risk is that high with Karasev compared to the other international players. I see him as a good offensive contributor at the least, and if you're looking for a small forward I think Karasev is the best one in this draft after Otto Porter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great write up- well said. Karasev is the player I hope we get this year, and I do not think taking him at 7 is audacious at all. It's not like this draft is packed with "don't pass them by" talents after about 5 anyways, so what's the risk in taking a guy like Karasev with an NBA-ready shot, not to mention the fact that he's a lefty, which can often prove a big matchup problem for opposition when that lefty is a gifted shooter from both sides of the arc.

I personally would take Karasev with the #7. It has that sort of "Peja" feel to it and I am confident he could make a defensive contribution in a system that Malone seems to be suggesting will be aggressively defense-minded. He doesn't have poor defense at all, he just doesn't have a clear edge or tool there at this stage in his development and needs to learn timing against the quicker, more aggressive 2s and 3s he'll guard in the NBA.

All that said, Karasev is the pick for me.

I like Karasev, one of the most polished offensive players in the draft. I don't know if you can ever expect above average D from him, and he's kind of a 2/3 tweener at the moment (although that could be fixed.)

Draft wise I'd say he's out of our range.. It would surprise me if he ends up near #7, and it would also suprise me if he ends up near #36

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I saw him play in the Nike Summit game, and I was very impressed. Terrific passer with great court vision. He looked like a SF on the floor to me. Hard to predict his defense, but he held his own in that game. And for those that don't know, this isn't just your typical all star game with highschool players. Its the international players against the US players and its very competitive. Obviously he's a very good shooter as well. I'd be surprised if we drafted him, but not disappointed. Frankly, the Kings need players like Karasev. Players that are fundamentally sound and know how to play the game.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
As long as scoring points is a necessity to win games, he'll find a team that wants him. This is the kind of kid that you would want Malone to work out but I presume any workouts of him would occur in Europe. Malone says he can teach guys how to play defense and I would presume he could tell if a player has what it takes up close and personal. I'd like to know if the 6'7"is in shoes or not. I will assume it is. At least we are looking at someone who plays a position where we have a hole and not another guard. Man, he's smooth on offense not that we need offense.

I never thought a #7 pick would create so much conversation that I disagreed with ie all the chatter about guards. Many comparisons came to my mind and firstly it was a stretched version of Jimmer. 2nd was Maravich although that's outrageous. Just saying what came to mind. Peja is the third but he isn't like Peja at all except he's Euro and white. He comes close to getting me excited and that's what makes him unique.

I will argue long and hard that you never trade a down to get two picks but if those two picks were Schroder and this guy, I'd have a what the heck attitude. It makes as much sense as drafting a lot of guys who seem to be dead ends.

Is there any way Malone could work him out?

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
As long as scoring points is a necessity to win games, he'll find a team that wants him. This is the kind of kid that you would want Malone to work out but I presume any workouts of him would occur in Europe. Malone says he can teach guys how to play defense and I would presume he could tell if a player has what it takes up close and personal. I'd like to know if the 6'7"is in shoes or not. I will assume it is. At least we are looking at someone who plays a position where we have a hole and not another guard. Man, he's smooth on offense not that we need offense.

I never thought a #7 pick would create so much conversation that I disagreed with ie all the chatter about guards. Many comparisons came to my mind and firstly it was a stretched version of Jimmer. 2nd was Maravich although that's outrageous. Just saying what came to mind. Peja is the third but he isn't like Peja at all except he's Euro and white. He comes close to getting me excited and that's what makes him unique.

I will argue long and hard that you never trade a down to get two picks but if those two picks were Schroder and this guy, I'd have a what the heck attitude. It makes as much sense as drafting a lot of guys who seem to be dead ends.

Is there any way Malone could work him out?
Since he's returned to europe, and plans on staying there until the draft, its unlikely that Malone will work him out. However, Petrie is over there right now, and he might be able to work him out. Not the same, I know, but better than nothing.

Im intrigued by Karasev. I wouldnt be dissapointed at all if we end up with him. I love his bball IQ.. from the footage ive seen his passing skills are phenominal.. He kinda reminds me of Petrovic a bit... yes, I said it.......

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I've only seen him play 3-4 times and wasn't really that focused on him when I did see him, but he does draw similarities to Kukoc.

And no I'm not just saying that because they're both left handed. Same type of game, quick release from three, nice pullup, has the left handed runner in the lane or off glass at an angle, can handle a bit and looks to post if there's an advantage.

I also think Russian/Eastern/central Euro's have an underrated toughness about them. That part of the world also has a good track record of developing both quality role playing SF's, as well as All Star level SF's. Very good shooters, very smart players, and pretty decent defenders as well.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

One difference between a guy like this and the really successful Euro Sfs is that guys like Kukoc, Peja, Hedo, Gallinari, AK47 etc. are all 6'9-6'11" big guys with unusual shooting and ballhandling abilities. Karasev is actually a little smaller than Salmons. Same height, a little lighter right now.

Last edited:
Honestly, I know nothing about this guy because I don't watch European basketball anymore but I remember his dad who was one of the best Euros of his generation - kinda slow but tough, crafty, do-it-all, a strong leader.

Obviously, anyone, I mean ANYONE, who can put solid numbers in Russia at his age deserves respect. I'd love to hear more about Sergey Karasev from guys from Russia, Serbia, Poland etc. I am sure they know much more about him.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't think he looks half as exciting in this video.

[video=youtube_share;TOEhmklaiQ4]http://youtu.be/TOEhmklaiQ4[/video]

I don't think he looks half as exciting in this video.

[video=youtube_share;TOEhmklaiQ4]http://youtu.be/TOEhmklaiQ4[/video]
I do not know why he is less exciting for you now. He was mostly 18 on that video. Basically he was a high school kid putting up impressive numbers on a winning team against good players (much tougher competition than NCAA and played more games). I would really like to watch some of his games, not youtube video clips. I do not think he deserves #7 but he is a very intriguing prospect at #15+.

Honestly, I know nothing about this guy because I don't watch European basketball anymore but I remember his dad who was one of the best Euros of his generation - kinda slow but tough, crafty, do-it-all, a strong leader.

Obviously, anyone, I mean ANYONE, who can put solid numbers in Russia at his age deserves respect. I'd love to hear more about Sergey Karasev from guys from Russia, Serbia, Poland etc. I am sure they know much more about him.
I'm a big Euro League guy, and this year, it's basically Karasev and a bunch of also-rans who might take a while to get polished, save maybe for Schroeder who is just totally raw right now but is so quick and disruptive he could be a nice bench player for a contender in the near term. I see Karasev going between 10 and 15, likely nearer 10 than 15. Strengths: As NBA-ready as any Euro this year, played in an advanced system with good talent and excelled; Pretty shot, form, makeup, intangibles (quietly does his thing and delivers under pressure), talent for age, great catch and shoot guy, and being a lefty. His basketball IQ and instincts are what should be making a lot of teams between 6 and 10 take a second look- possesses an on-court maturity US players his age may not have. Weaknesses: Might not get any taller, thin frame, loses his mark sometimes on D, not the quickest, but also not slow.....just average. Unlike a lot of guys, might actually need a lot of NBA-minutes to get acclimated rather than responding in a gradual role, and somewhat growing into his game yet, can disappear a bit off the ball; was he a product of a system catered to him?

The three Euros--in fact, the only three--I would consider this year are Schroeder, Gobert and Karasev. Gobert is just too light for me and despite his great D adds too little else to convince me of the pick at 7. Schroeder is quick and exciting but played in a very mediocre league on a blah team where he was the star engine and had nice numbers- how will he match up against quick athletic NBA guards that pound the weak side for 30+ minutes a night and zonal defenses that force him out of the lane? He's also very, very thin, which is great for speed but terrible for D, unless he magically develops Rondo's reach-ability skills overnight with his long arms. He very well could, but it's a gamble. Karasev, however, is such a good shooter and natural scorer that I feel he adds more than he might have to develop. Not many guys on our current roster have an NBA-ready shot and consistency from 18-20 feet- this guy does. To get that luxury, and in a young, developing player to boot, seems a worthy selection at 7.

As to an NBA comparison, it's sort of a toss-up. NBADraft calls him Eric Piatkowski; not a bad comp but he's got a little more upside than that. Kukoc is also a good shout, and maybe the one I'd also use, but that is being a little generous- Toni was a better rebounder, defender and energy guy while Karasev has more shooting range and lateral/slashing ability, being 3-4 inches or so shorter than Toni. One other similar name to me to bring it back to SAC for a sec, is a less physical version (simply because he lacks the muscle at present) of Walt Williams (also a #7 pick). Nice shot, nice 3%, decent rebounding, nice passing, but not a "jump up and shout" awesome pick. Still, pretty damn good and an improvement on what we have.

IMO, the guy I'd take at 7, should Len, Oladipo, and Burke be off the board (not sold on Bennett or MCW). This is a terrible, terrible draft. Might as well take a guy with a lot of upside who is NBA ready in a role or position we need.

Last edited:
I'm a big Euro League guy, and this year, it's basically Karasev and a bunch of also-rans who might take a while to get polished, save maybe for Schroeder who is just totally raw right now. I see Karasev going between 10 and 15, likely nearer 10 than 15. Strengths: As NBA-ready as any Euro this year, played in an advanced system with good talent and excelled; Pretty shot, form, makeup, intangibles (quietly does his thing and delivers under pressure), talent for age, great catch and shoot guy, and being a lefty. His basketball IQ and instincts are what should be making a lot of teams between 6 and 10 take a second look- possesses an on-court maturity US players his age may not have. Weaknesses: Might not get any taller, thin frame, loses his mark sometimes on D, not the quickest, but also not slow.....just average. Unlike a lot of guys, might actually need a lot of NBA-minutes to get acclimated rather than responding in a gradual role, and somewhat growing into his game yet, can disappear a bit off the ball; was he a product of a system catered to him?

The three Euros--in fact, the only three--I would consider this year are Schroeder, Gobert and Karasev. Gobert is just too light for me and despite his great D adds too little else to convince me of the pick at 7. Schroeder is quick and exciting but played in a very mediocre league on a blah team where he was the star engine and had nice numbers- how will he match up against quick athletic NBA guards that pound the weak side for 30+ minutes a night and zonal defenses that force him out of the lane? Karasev, however, is such a good shooter and natural scorer that I feel he adds more than he might have to develop. Not many guys on our current roster have an NBA-ready shot and consistency from 18-20 feet- this guy does. To get that luxury, and in a young, developing player to boot, seems a worthy selection at 7.

As to an NBA comparison, it's sort of a toss-up. NBADraft calls him Eric Piatkowski; not a bad comp but he's got a little more upside than that. Kukoc is also a good shout, and maybe the one I'd also use, but that is being a little generous- Toni was a better rebounder, defender and energy guy while this guy has more shooting range and lateral/slashing ability, being 3 inches or so shorter than Toni. One other similar name to me to bring it back to SAC for a sec, is Walt Williams (also a #7 pick). Nice shot, nice 3%, decent rebounding, nice passing, but not a "jump up and shout" awesome pick. Still, pretty damn good and an improvement on what we have.

IMO, the guy I'd take at 7, should guys like Len, Oladipo, ad Burke be off the board (not sold on Bennett or MCW). This is a terrible, terrible draft. Might as well take a guy with a lot of upside who is NBA ready in a role or position we need.

Thanks, Kevin!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I do not know why he is less exciting for you now. He was mostly 18 on that video. Basically he was a high school kid putting up impressive numbers on a winning team against good players (much tougher competition than NCAA and played more games). I would really like to watch some of his games, not youtube video clips. I do not think he deserves #7 but he is a very intriguing prospect at #15+.
This video was not a highlight real which the other video was. It showed his strengths and weaknesses. I hate seeing weaknesses.

This video was not a highlight real which the other video was. It showed his strengths and weaknesses. I hate seeing weaknesses.
but every player has both. even cant-miss prospects and NBA stars have weaknesses. I think that video shows who he is. NCAA prospects showed their strength and weaknesses playing against future teachers, accountants, psychologists etc. At least we saw what he could and couldn't do against above average pro players. That's why I was a little bit surprised with your reaction. He would have been #1 pick in this draft if he'd had a 9/10 or 10/10 athleticism.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
but every player has both. even cant-miss prospects and NBA stars have weaknesses. I think that video shows who he is. NCAA prospects showed their strength and weaknesses playing against future teachers, accountants, psychologists etc. At least we saw what he could and couldn't do against above average pro players. That's why I was a little bit surprised with your reaction. He would have been #1 pick in this draft if he'd had a 9/10 or 10/10 athleticism.
What was my reaction?

I'd rather see an honest video than a highlight reel. He excited me at first and as a 19 year old, he has plenty of room to grow. I would rather have a guy who can occasionally catch fire than one who can't. I'm not knocking him. You are misreading me for some reason. I still would not be unhappy if we drafted him. At #7, we need to get lucky and this fascination with guards on this forum I think may be borne more of desperation than an accurate assessment of how good the guards are. There is one SG and one PG I like. Given neither will be available to us I'd rather take a shot at someone a little bit taller even if there are question marks.. :) Or trade the pick!

What was my reaction?

I'd rather see an honest video than a highlight reel. He excited me at first and as a 19 year old, he has plenty of room to grow. I would rather have a guy who can occasionally catch fire than one who can't. I'm not knocking him. You are misreading me for some reason. I still would not be unhappy if we drafted him. At #7, we need to get lucky and this fascination with guards on this forum I think may be borne more of desperation than an accurate assessment of how good the guards are. There is one SG and one PG I like. Given neither will be available to us I'd rather take a shot at someone a little bit taller even if there are question marks.. :) Or trade the pick!
I was just surprised that you saw a different player on that second video and changed your opinion about him. IMO he looks the same on both of them. Even the highlight reel one shows that he is not the quickest player in the world. I don't think that he deserves #7 either but you never know in this draft. Would CJ or even McLemore put similar numbers playing pro basketball in Russia? We don't know of course but honestly, I do not think so. Karasev might be just a good Euro player and will be a nobody in NBA and his future is just a role player ala Novak. Unfortunately, we have the same "ceiling problem" with almost any player in our range. At least, Karasev proved something playing every game against real basketball players.

Since he's returned to europe, and plans on staying there until the draft, its unlikely that Malone will work him out. However, Petrie is over there right now, and he might be able to work him out. Not the same, I know, but better than nothing.
He is not participating in any work outs. It's clear some one promised him a spot in first round and he decided he really likes the team. DX speculated that it was in #16-24 range - the last workout offer he refused was from Clippers.

He reminds me a little of Mullin - potential to be a great shooter, sneaky, good vision, height, lefty, and looks slower than he is...even a little Ginobilli in his game. Not as explosive, obviously.

Defense is the big mystery. Big big.

Last edited:
Just read his interview.

He said:

- no guarantees from NBA teams; left early because of his desire to play for Team Russia in June (World Student Games or something like that)
- not fully satisfied with his workouts in America, was tired from a long season and was affected by jet lag
- wants to play in NBA next season

Put this guy in my "mixed" list. I like this guy's offense a lot. Very high skill level here--will shoot the ball from deep and slash, and can handle and pass the ball well for his size. And this guy can really shoot it. Then again, Alexey Shved was kind of the same way as well with regards to shooting, and he shot 29% from deep and 72% from the stripe this year. But Karasev is tougher--he's still skinny, but wasn't as skinny as Shved, and he does a better job of getting to the hole and finishing through contact. Karasev's handles are actually not that far off from Shved's either. And this guy is only 19. Offensively, he's an NBA cog player, for sure.

Defensively is where he might lose major points. He's not really a threat--he doesn't seek out boards, doesn't really make defensive plays, and is relatively foul prone. Pretty poor wingspan as well.

I think talentwise, he's a bubble 1st rounder. I had him in the 20s, but bumped him into the 30s due to all the draft movement that typically occurs this time of year. But it's probably the difference--he's in between that.

The other thing to consider is Russians since Kirilenko don't have an awesome track record in the NBA. I remember we had Sergey Monia for a time and he did jack in the league, as did Viktor Khryapa. I wonder if this guy won't feel homesick after a while, there seems to be a bigger cultural issue for Russians to adjust to the America.

Karasev plays nothing like Shved. In Russia Shved never looked to shoot from 3, always trying to find a way inside. Karasev struggles inside with any contact - he'd rather pull-up from mid-range. I don't think his handles are as good as Shved's, but he has exceptional court vision and is a good passer. Monia is not very skilled even for Russian league and Khryapa was a "bad" tweener: too slow and little skills for SF and no strength for PF. Karasev will have a lot of trouble defensively as individual, but he's a very smart kid and team defense won't be a problem.

I remember tracking Shved the year before he came over the T-Pups, and he really improved his shot. Scouts also lauded him for that. Hell, I thought he would be a good shooter this year, and he kind of was early on--like 36% until he went off the rails and dropped to below 30 at the end of the season.

As for Monia, I remember he had a defensive reputation with some decent spot-up shooting, was the scouting report. I agree, though, he was a net minus offensively, and unready defensively. Still, he was a lottery pick. That's how it was back then.

Khryapa was billed as the next Kirilenko. Pterodactyl-type wingspan sort of business. I agree though, questionable skill level and never had Kirlenko's ball skills or athleticism.

Bricklayer

Karasev plays nothing like Shved. In Russia Shved never looked to shoot from 3, always trying to find a way inside. Karasev struggles inside with any contact - he'd rather pull-up from mid-range. I don't think his handles are as good as Shved's, but he has exceptional court vision and is a good passer. Monia is not very skilled even for Russian league and Khryapa was a "bad" tweener: too slow and little skills for SF and no strength for PF. Karasev will have a lot of trouble defensively as individual, but he's a very smart kid and team defense won't be a problem.
Sergei Monia though had one of he great beefcake posters in NBA history, and I am determined to uncover that pic from the bowels of the internet if it takes me another 20 years and a HAL-9000 supercomputer in 2035.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Sergei Monia though had one of he great beefcake posters in NBA history, and I am determined to uncover that pic from the bowels of the internet if it takes me another 20 years and a HAL-9000 supercomputer in 2035.
You, Mr. Layer, are determined in a very weird way. :)