Draft Lottery

hrdboild;98112[B said:
4]There are a dozen people on this board alone who could do the job. Scouting isn't hard[/B], you just have to know what you're looking at and take the time to go through all the tape. I don't doubt Petrie's ability to judge talent. I doubt that he knows what type of players are needed to make this team better. That's a big difference. I want a new GM before the draft because the draft is one piece of the puzzle -- there might be trades involved, free agents targeted, players potentially cut or amnestied to open up spots in the rotation. Somebody needs to take this all into account at once and taking over after the draft is asking them to do the job with one hand tied behind their back.
With all due respect, this is pretty silly (your first 2 sentences)

Last edited:
Anyone else checked out this kid Dario Saric? I see him as a potential Peja-esque pick in that he's not a big name, but could maybe come in and be a nice compliment with the potential for more. He's a 6-10 SF from Croatia, can shoot and pass very well. A high IQ type of player that could really fit in well with some of the pieces we already have. He's projected as high as 10 on mocks. Just throwing out ideas here, but here are some highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNqpjnuUvqQ

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
With all due respect, this is pretty silly (your first 2 sentences)
There's no great mystery about it. Everybody watches the same players since they're 15 or 16 years old now. The only privileged access that team officials have is player interviews and private workouts. How many college or international games has Geoff attended in person in the last year? Aside from that he's watching the same tape as the rest of us. I'll grant you that he has a lot of experience but so do a lot of other people. I'm just saying that a lot of fans devote hundreds of hours of their personal time to following prospects for no pay whatsoever simply because they love basketball so much. And that's before you start to talk about all of the professional scouts. Yeah I'll admit my statement involved a good deal of hyperbole, but it's equally silly to me to imply that Geoff is the only person affiliated with the Sacramento King's that is capable of making an informed decision about this draft. A month of preparation is enough time for a new GM if they've been doing their homework throughout the year. And if they haven't been, they probably shouldn't be a GM anyway.

exactly. behind Noel, McLemore, Oladipo, Burke and Porter. everyone in this draft is just blehhhhh
Every year someone slips. Eg Andre Drummond.

Also, look at the playoffs. Marc Gasol, Memphis' best player was a second round pick. As was Manu and Tiago Splitter. Zac Randolph and tony Parker were picked later in the first round.

Current sentiment favours a select few prospects- but there is no reason kings won't get a good player.

There's no great mystery about it. Everybody watches the same players since they're 15 or 16 years old now. The only privileged access that team officials have is player interviews and private workouts. How many college or international games has Geoff attended in person in the last year? Aside from that he's watching the same tape as the rest of us. I'll grant you that he has a lot of experience but so do a lot of other people. I'm just saying that a lot of fans devote hundreds of hours of their personal time to following prospects for no pay whatsoever simply because they love basketball so much. And that's before you start to talk about all of the professional scouts. Yeah I'll admit my statement involved a good deal of hyperbole, but it's equally silly to me to imply that Geoff is the only person affiliated with the Sacramento King's that is capable of making an informed decision about this draft. A month of preparation is enough time for a new GM if they've been doing their homework throughout the year. And if they haven't been, they probably shouldn't be a GM anyway.
You don't want to underestimate the qualities of a professional.

I believe Geoff making the pick is better than someone coming in on the fly.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't want to underestimate the qualities of a professional.

I believe Geoff making the pick is better than someone coming in on the fly.
Anyone with any aspirations of being an NBA GM will have also scouted this year's draft class extensively. I think this is a non-issue. Especially since I think Petrie's last couple blundered drafts were partly the result of the Maloof's cost cutting to the scouting department/front office.

I am sure the new ownership group will talk to Petrie extensively, and may already be aware that the moves made were under the influence of the previous owners. We don't know what happened behind the scenes. The Maloofs may have had more impact than any of us imagined. For all we know, Petrie may still have the touch, but did not have the finances anymore. Regardless, no decisions will be made without approval of the new ownership group. That is pretty much a guarantee. Not too much to worry about I think. I look forward to the draft and to this summer. I have a good feeling about all of this!

Anyone with any aspirations of being an NBA GM will have also scouted this year's draft class extensively. I think this is a non-issue. Especially since I think Petrie's last couple blundered drafts were partly the result of the Maloof's cost cutting to the scouting department/front office.
My comment was in response to the idea that a regular fan is as equipped as an experienced professional re making a draft choice.

But- unless the next GM is working within an organisation right now, how much work would they have done? Just as an example, if Phil Jackson was hired to be the new GM, how much scouting work has he done? Obviously it is not going to be Phil but hopefully you get my point.

In addition, I would assume that the process of hiring a new general manager and also coach is going to take time. Why rush that process? If, in the meantime, Petrie makes the draft choice, what is the harm?

It is a little unfortunate that regardless of who makes the draft choice, the kings are approaching the draft with a degree of uncertainty. It is unknown who the GM will be and unknown who the coach will be. The team has only just been sold.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
My comment was in response to the idea that a regular fan is as equipped as an experienced professional re making a draft choice.

But- unless the next GM is working within an organisation right now, how much work would they have done? Just as an example, if Phil Jackson was hired to be the new GM, how much scouting work has he done? Obviously it is not going to be Phil but hopefully you get my point.

In addition, I would assume that the process of hiring a new general manager and also coach is going to take time. Why rush that process? If, in the meantime, Petrie makes the draft choice, what is the harm?

It is a little unfortunate that regardless of who makes the draft choice, the kings are approaching the draft with a degree of uncertainty. It is unknown who the GM will be and unknown who the coach will be. The team has only just been sold.
The harm is that it's a critical decision about the future of the team being made by someone who no longer has any future with the team. I'm sure Geoff is professional enough to watch the workouts and draft the player he likes the best but that's just not good enough. The draft day decision to trade our #7 pick and Beno was a critical decision about which direction the team build was going to go. Look at all the other options that were there at our pick. The decision to pass on need picks with higher ceilings in Barnes and Drummond for added depth at PF behind Thompson was a critical decision as well. What about the rumored Kyle Lowry trade we heard about? Screwing these decisions up has already cost us years of development time. And now we're in a position where we probably need to trade one way or another to find a good fit for our roster with the #7 pick and Geoff can't know what direction to go there without also committing the franchise to contracts with long-term implications. It is a big deal. Bad teams are making good moves and passing us up every year. If we don't want to be in lottery hell forever somebody has to come along and do something smart with our roster for a change.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
What is the harm?

That's like asking what is the harm in Petrie firing off a last trade or two before he leaves. No big deal right?

Of course its a big deal. A high lottery pick, even in a weak draft can be a franchise turning event. you don't just shrug and give it to the outgoing guy as a parting gift. If you know who your new GM is going to be, you get him in town, keep Geoff on the payroll long enough to act as a scout/transfer his knowledge/opinions, and then wish him well. But this is the new ownership's first major chance to make a splash. There is no shrug and let the old guard have it possibility here. The old guard Is working on 7 straight losing seasons.

The harm is that it's a critical decision about the future of the team being made by someone who no longer has any future with the team. I'm sure Geoff is professional enough to watch the workouts and draft the player he likes the best but that's just not good enough. The draft day decision to trade our #7 pick and Beno was a critical decision about which direction the team build was going to go. Look at all the other options that were there at our pick. The decision to pass on need picks with higher ceilings in Barnes and Drummond for added depth at PF behind Thompson was a critical decision as well. What about the rumored Kyle Lowry trade we heard about? Screwing these decisions up has already cost us years of development time. And now we're in a position where we probably need to trade one way or another to find a good fit for our roster with the #7 pick and Geoff can't know what direction to go there without also committing the franchise to contracts with long-term implications. It is a big deal. Bad teams are making good moves and passing us up every year. If we don't want to be in lottery hell forever somebody has to come along and do something smart with our roster for a change.
I agree the Jimmer pick harms his credibility. TRob's performance does not help. Geoff's future is also going influence his current practice and work habits- no question.

But- he does know the roster, he is currently employed as the GM, and has made many good decisions in the past. Some of his worse decisions may have been influenced by the Maloofs. I have no problem with him acting as interim GM if required.

The Kings are emerging from a period of instability, although the ownership has been resolved, the franchise is not completely free from uncertainty. It may take time to establish a new management and basketball staff. If Geoff makes the pick, he makes the pick. It could be worse.

What is the harm?

That's like asking what is the harm in Petrie firing off a last trade or two before he leaves. No big deal right?

Of course its a big deal. A high lottery pick, even in a weak draft can be a franchise turning event. you don't just shrug and give it to the outgoing guy as a parting gift. If you know who your new GM is going to be, you get him in town, keep Geoff on the payroll long enough to act as a scout/transfer his knowledge/opinions, and then wish him well. But this is the new ownership's first major chance to make a splash. There is no shrug and let the old guard have it possibility here. The old guard Is working on 7 straight losing seasons.
I don't disagree with you. However, I will not be disappointed if the process of organising new management takes time. My argument is against rushing the process.

Right now, Geoff is essentially an interim GM. I don't know how far along the new ownership group are re basketball operations. I personally am not going to be upset if Petrie is in the war room on draft day.

I agree the Jimmer pick harms his credibility. TRob's performance does not help. Geoff's future is also going influence his current practice and work habits- no question.

But- he does know the roster, he is currently employed as the GM, and has made many good decisions in the past. Some of his worse decisions may have been influenced by the Maloofs. I have no problem with him acting as interim GM if required.

The Kings are emerging from a period of instability, although the ownership has been resolved, the franchise is not completely free from uncertainty. It may take time to establish a new management and basketball staff. If Geoff makes the pick, he makes the pick. It could be worse.
You mean the roster that he constructed full of undersized scoring guards and no wing shooting? That team? Yes, he knows it well.

So if a good move happened we put that in Petrie's report card, but if something bad happens, the Maloofs did it? Petrie apologists logic never fails to amaze. If he takes the credit, he takes the credit. Good and bad. From staff rumors at the Kings office, Petrie has been "taking time off" a lot even before this last year. He's obviously just walking in to collect a check, and it shows.

Once I saw Keith Smart's face, I knew we would not enter the top 3. He looked downright miserable
Didn't read a lot of the rest of the thread after this post...but this was basically my sentiment... I TRY to not be superstitious or whatever, but when I saw his dumb face as our representative, I deflated and pretty much gave up hope. Still managed to be upset that we couldn't catch a break. I'd rather have been a part of the continued rumors of rigging by nabbing a 1-3 than continue to be disappointed/not surprised again w/ #7 in a draft where a lot of people here and elsewhere have said 1-6 would all be acceptable picks :/ Meh...here's to at least having new ownership, doing the best we can w/ this and having HOPEFULLY more than a glimmer of hope coming. *cheers*

anyway, I'm long past worrying about the who wins the lottery. There have been very few "sure things" the last 10 years and there's bust all over the top 5 picks and studs from the 6-10 picks. We're past the stage of needing the home-run pick to save the franchise; it's all about finding productive rotational players now
Then I take a step back and think something like this. Plenty of eventual HOF caliber players have been drafted outside of the top few picks. Sac + Kings - Maloofs + Vivek and Co.= infinite win regardless.

You mean the roster that he constructed full of undersized scoring guards and no wing shooting? That team? Yes, he knows it well.

So if a good move happened we put that in Petrie's report card, but if something bad happens, the Maloofs did it? Petrie apologists logic never fails to amaze. If he takes the credit, he takes the credit. Good and bad. From staff rumors at the Kings office, Petrie has been "taking time off" a lot even before this last year. He's obviously just walking in to collect a check, and it shows.
I wouldn't classify myself as a 'Petrie apologist'. I acknowledge he has limitations. The current roster is poor, and his name is on it. In no way am I campaigning for him to keep his job.

However, I don't envy the circumstances he has had to work under over the last few years. The constant threat of relocation, a reduced budget for players, interfering owners, etc. I would also hate to overlook what he has achieved. So perhaps I am an 'apologist' to some degree.

I think at the very least, Petrie makes a well qualified interim GM. How long will he hold this role? Probably not much longer. If he is required to hold it throughout the draft, while the ownership searches and establishes new management, so be it. Not the worst thing.

I would hope and expect that a new management and coach would be in place for the start of the free agency period.

Apologies if this was pointed out already in prior pages I didn't read but....does this help any of you karma/fate/rigged/whatever else believers...1987 NBA draft #7 pick was Kevin Johnson?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Apologies if this was pointed out already in prior pages I didn't read but....does this help any of you karma/fate/rigged/whatever else believers...1987 NBA draft #7 pick was Kevin Johnson?
It was mentioned several times, along with some interesting quotes from Vivek about his reaction to the #7.

It was mentioned several times, along with some interesting quotes from Vivek about his reaction to the #7.
appreciate the correction...clearly not a seasoned poster yet lol (though absolutely a seasoned lurker). But still...If ever I was going to identify with history, this might be the time...I think him being #7 is a better sign than Smart being our representative...

I was disappointed also. Yes, I'm extremely happy the Kings are staying in Sacramento but can't they catch a break sometime in the lottery? It seems like we pick 7th every time we're there. At least they trotted out Heather Cox last night, it wasn't a total loss.

At any rate, I'm anxious to see how Vivek assembles this team and management. A lot is going to happen between now and opening night.

Go Kings!

I don't think I've ever been less disappointed about falling in the lottery. true, a top3 pick would've been nice, but it'd also have meant more motivation to keep the pick, which doesn't seem to be the wisest course of action. now, even with the front office situation being as unclear as it is, it should be fairly clear that the best thing to do with the pick is to trade it.

The indian burrial ground curse strikes again :p

Trade the pick anyway. Nothing in that range will give us the help we need and with some trading chips like pick 7, Thorton/Thomas and Salmons (practically an expiring contract) we should be able to address some needs or at the very least shed some bad contracts (Hayes) and free up some cap space for a FA or two.

it would have been nice if our position had remained unchanged at the 6th pick, where one of porter, olapido, or burke may have slid to. but now, with the 7th pick, there's a good chance that all three are off the board by the kings' selection...

it's a bit disappointing, but i've long maintained that the kings should be actively shopping their first round draft pick in search of veteran defensive talent. of course, with the gm situation up-in-the-air, i have no idea if such an option is available, as petrie's lame duck status will more than likely motivate him to simply make his pick and go home...

personally, i shudder at the thought of petrie drafting cody zeller, which would be an absolute disaster for a team that needs to infuse some defense into their frontcourt, as well as some additional rebounding. both are a weakness for zeller, and, for that reason, he strikes me as a petrie player. i'm just holding out hope that ranadive already has several gm candidates in mind, and is preparing to interview the minute the sale of the kings is official...