Monday will be crazy and other news, rumors, etc.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In 2012, Aaron Bruski wrote an excellent article about the Maloofs being on thin ice with the NBA. (Thanks to Fireplug for bringing it up on Twitter.)

It shows that Bruski is NOT a newcomer to the situation and it also shows the patience of the NBA was already close to exhaustion a year ago:

...This doesn’t mean, however, that the Maloofs get to unilaterally hurt other NBA owners or the league as it considers their relocation request. Moreover, the ‘best interest’ clause sits side by side with antitrust law to determine how much, if at all, the Maloofs can hurt the NBA and its other owners with their relocation activities. While all of this gets fleshed out inside of Stern’s due process, not to mention outside of the due process with all of the various arm-twisting that goes on behind the scenes, it’s the due process itself that upholds the commissioner’s office as a viable mechanism to obviate judicial interference...
Whole article here

This is what i'm worried about. Those Maloofs are the last obsticle of getting the kings back to respectability. The Maloofs are scum and they're going to burn in hell for this.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Crown Downtown ‏@CrownDowntown 2m
"Monday is going to be crazy," one high-ranking source said late Saturday. "There should be substantial movement by the end of the day."

"Monday is going to be crazy," one high-ranking source said late Saturday. "There should be substantial movement by the end of the day."
Herb Simon: Alright guys, what are we supposed to talk about
Micky Arison: Hansen/Ballmer unoficially raised their bid and relocation fees
Larry Miller: And how does that overturn our unanimous verdict and establish that Sacramento is not a viable market, which is the crux of the issue
Glen Taylor: It doesn't, we are just meeting so that it doesn't look like we are invalidating the financial factor to the rest of the owners

I think that's when a conference call is happening between all parties. Well probably separate calls. I think we will hear a lot about what's going to happen Wednesday.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ailene Voisin said:
This was the middle finger to Sacramento. This was scummy and dirty, was over the top and down in the gutter, and frankly was a classic example of why so many folks are turned off by professional sports.
Read more here

According to the article, "Monday is going to be crazy," one high-ranking source said late Saturday. "There should be substantial movement by the end of the day."

Read more here

According to the article, "Monday is going to be crazy," one high-ranking source said late Saturday. "There should be substantial movement by the end of the day."
Love her ot hate her but Ailene Voisin has a pretty good track record with her sources that are close to Stern. I have often wondered if her source IS Stern!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Twitter:

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 5m

League sources maintain after today's media attack by the SEA/Maloof camp that the decision to relocate is about SAC's bid and not SEA’s.

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 3m

On the contempt of SEA’s camp in spite of the NBA reko against relo, one high-level NBA source said “Ballmer is on a rampage right now.”

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 34s

Source: “Ballmer is playing a game of Russian Roulette with SEA’s NBA future. He can’t throw money at the problem like this is Microsoft.”

Interesting that Bruski is citing Ballmer, and not Hansen...
Hansen is just the front man, doing the dirty work. Ballmer is the money behind this operation, not Hansen.

They are making themselves less and less attractive to the 29 other owners by the minute.

Ask yourself this, if you were an owner of a NBA franchise, would you want an owner like this to compete against you? With total disregard to money and common decency? I know I wouldn't.

By the end of this, the NBA BOG will not want anything to do with these two, now or in the future.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Marcos Breton also has a new article in today's Bee:

"...When hedge fund billionaire Chris Hansen on Friday raised his group's now- obscene offer to buy the Kings, lifting the franchise's value to $625 million, two thoughts came to mind:

One could imagine the Maloofs, the current Kings owners, dancing gleefully while screaming "Goody! Goody! Goody!," given their emotional immaturity and years-long thirst to profit on the franchise they trashed.

Hansen's outsized play also brought to mind a scene from "Shrek." The pint-sized villain desperate to be king had built himself an enormously tall castle, prompting Shrek to ask, "Do you think maybe he's compensating for something?" ...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Twitter:

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 2m

More: Reports that the league has any real concern about SAC’s arena plan or ownership group are outright false.

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 54s

Source: The idea that Hansen/Ballmer would own any portion of the Kings while they play in Sacramento is a “non-starter.”

From Twitter:

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 2m

More: Reports that the league has any real concern about SAC’s arena plan or ownership group are outright false.

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 54s

Source: The idea that Hansen/Ballmer would own any portion of the Kings while they play in Sacramento is a “non-starter.”
Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 38m
Source on NBA using Best Interests of the League clause vs. Maloofs: The league "will use all options at its disposal to protect the logo.”

Just had a thought about arbitrary figure of 20% (for $125 million) in this new scheme: it probably is the same money that Maloofs owe to NBA.

I think when Stern stated that he doesn't expect this to turn into a bidding war, it meant that it may turn into one, but the NBA is going to entertain one. That's my hope at least.

And this is pure speculation but I think there's more to this deal for the Maloofs than just $$$ and spiting Sac.

Just my gut instinct here. But this reported Monday meeting is not to discuss Hansen and Balmer. This has been and will be about the Maloofs. They are going to straw vote a bit on Monday and see where everyone stands. And if relocation recommendation does not change as expected, I don't expect that any ownership vote is going to go towards H/B.

So why meet early? To decide what actions to take against the Maloofs. Stern can use his broad powers if he gets backing from his owners. Which means using tools like taking away revenue sharing from the Maloofs if they should decide to bluff their way another year. And backing the Sac group by setting up a process where they start reducing the offer to the Maloofs for the team. And who else knows what sort of means to put the squeeze on them that they can.

Hopefully Wednesday voting will include one about the Maloofs accepting the only offer they have on the table, the Sacramento offer.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Just my gut instinct here. But this reported Monday meeting is not to discuss Hansen and Balmer. This has been and will be about the Maloofs. They are going to straw vote a bit on Monday and see where everyone stands. And if relocation recommendation does not change as expected, I don't expect that any ownership vote is going to go towards H/B.

So why meet early? To decide what actions to take against the Maloofs. Stern can use his broad powers if he gets backing from his owners. Which means using tools like taking away revenue sharing from the Maloofs if they should decide to bluff their way another year. And backing the Sac group by setting up a process where they start reducing the offer to the Maloofs for the team. And who else knows what sort of means to put the squeeze on them that they can.

Hopefully Wednesday voting will include one about the Maloofs accepting the only offer they have on the table, the Sacramento offer.
I've been thinking similarly. I don't think they are reconsidering the offers per se, I think they are considering future BOG actions based on past Maloofian behavior.

Agreed, but Hansen is enabling them. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm learning to despise Hansen as well.
While hanson is a spoiled bad guy, and the magoofs are less than pond scum, the driving force behind this vulgar display of wealth, greed, and ego is Ballmer. Check out some videos on you tube of this guys behavior. I've seen behavior like this before. Remember georgie's little meltdown?

I can't even begin to guess what is in the mind of the Brothers Maloof and, to be honest, I wouldn't want to know. I don't think they're even getting letters from sanity at this point.
If people didn't realize it before, then it is completely obvious that they are in fact literally a bunch of "tools" that are being used by hanson/ballmer. They are over a barrell now and in so deep that they couldn't dig their way out now if they had to. They are literally now at the mercy of hb and the bog and are hopefully being bounced around and used like ping pong balls. I hope when this is all said and done that the bm's (pun intended) climb back under that rock they crawled out from under, never to be seen or heard from again. Karma will eventually do its thing.

I've been thinking similarly. I don't think they are reconsidering the offers per se, I think they are considering future BOG actions based on past Maloofian behavior.
I expect daddy Stern to come down with a record-shattering fine for the Clowns and, if possible as per the pre-purchase contract they signed with the league, to the Seattle group - at minimum. I would also not be surprised to see a statement from the NBA regarding the Clowns' (both BM and HBN) behavior being "detrimental to the league" and a mention of the Commish and BoG's duty to guard the "best interests of the league".

Threats of calling in the NBA loan and a team takeover/custodianship by the league would be awesome.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Interesting that Bruski is citing Ballmer, and not Hansen...
This may be an intentional leak to Bruski calling out Ballmer so he pulls the pug on Hansen to end the madness. Hansen is dead to the NBA but Balmer might still have a chance if he fixes the mess in his own house.

If people didn't realize it before, then it is completely obvious that they are in fact literally a bunch of "tools" that are being used by hanson/ballmer. They are over a barrell now and in so deep that they couldn't dig their way out now if they had to. They are literally now at the mercy of hb and the bog and are hopefully being bounced around and used like ping pong balls. I hope when this is all said and done that the bm's (pun intended) climb back under that rock they crawled out from under, never to be seen or heard from again. Karma will eventually do its thing.
I think you are being kind. At least tools are useful - they help you do a job and usually perform their task.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This may be an intentional leak to Bruski calling out Ballmer so he pulls the pug on Hansen to end the madness. Hansen is dead to the NBA but Balmer might still have a chance if he fixes the mess in his own house.
After viewing a couple of clips of Ballmer in action, I think he's much more of a loose cannon than Hansen ever dreamed of being.

Herb Simon: Alright guys, what are we supposed to talk about
Micky Arison: Hansen/Ballmer unoficially raised their bid and relocation fees
Larry Miller: And how does that overturn our unanimous verdict and establish that Sacramento is not a viable market, which is the crux of the issue
Glen Taylor: It doesn't, we are just meeting so that it doesn't look like we are invalidating the financial factor to the rest of the owners
I think you just became Chris Daniels' latest "source". watch for it on twitter.

The NBA might not expand. Balmer is looking at waiting at least 3-6 years to get the Bucks and potentially becoming the NBA’s arena boogieman like the NFL has used LA for a very long time. The Maloofs are nuts and spiteful people. The NBA knows it has to do something about owners like Shinn and the Maloofs going forward. Stern always has the best interest in the league clause, but there was talk about the bylaws being amended after this process to address owners like the Maloofs.

I think the odds of Balmer suing have gone from 0-5% to more like 20%. And with that … the NBA might have to go nuclear this week to protect itself.

Possession isn’t 9/10 of the law but it matters a lot on a lot of fronts. Plus, conduct before a lawsuit is filed is more easily defended than conduct after. So, the league probably would grab the team before the suit is filed. Plus, it avoids the possibility of Balmer antagonizing this market for a year or trying to pull a Clippers to LA right now on the ground that he isn’t bound by the bylaws yet but the league can’t legally stop the sale. The league is going to have a hard time “calling” the Maloofs loans because it looks spiteful retaliatory at this point.

Balmer thinks his anti-trust suit is clean. The NBA has a monopoly. I offered the most for the Kings but was not permitted to buy so the NBA can perpetuate their publicly subsidized monopoly.

That’s fine. But you picked a bad partner. If I’m the NBA, the defense has very little to do with the Seattle market. I litigate what the Maloofs did to Sacramento, who is a limited “partner” based upon the loan, 30 years, and a 270 million dollar public / private partnership. The NBA is going to be around forever. Like any business, we have to take the long view on where we put franchises. The Maloofs damaged their franchise, antagonized the fans, and don’t want to be there. Yet, our customers of 30 years still want us to be there. So we blocked the move and found new owners for the franchise. Balmer wanted to move, so he wasn’t an acceptable buyer. We took the top local bid, just like we did in New Orleans . It’s a defense that could persuade a jury. This is not the Raiders to LA. Oakland wasn’t going to build a new facility, and Al wasn’t campaigning against efforts to build him one. The Maloofs stunt for Q&R in the rail yard, $6 burgers, NY press conference, holding hands with KJ, ect. all comes in. The NBA knows a lot based upon the marketing takeover last summer and can prove neglect. They know where all of the bodies are buried.

Probably a 50/50 case.

It should be noted, this defense is the same if the league is defending grabbing the team under the best interest clause, not just defending the blocked sale. And they cut out all of the horrible and crazy things the Maloofs and Balmer could pull for 1-3 years.

Either the NBA allows Balmer to push them around or:

They vote something like 25-5 to deny relocation.

Balmer can’t get approved on any of this three proposed purchases because he’s buying solely to move and his conduct over the past 36 hours. This vote isn’t close 27-3 or 29-1.

Maloofs are encouraged to take local offer and then asked if they want to take it.

If they say no – based upon what the NBA picks on Monday: (a) Stern reclaims the team based upon the best interest clause; or (2) the owners amend the bylaws in Dallas to account for owners like Shinn and the Maloofs, and then reclaim the team under both the new bylaw and the best interest clause.

I’m not sure that happens, but it’s now on the table. Way to go George.

Next, Sacramento is told to break ground. If Balmer sues, it’s going to take at least 18-24 months to get a verdict. Most likely, he’s not getting a preliminary injunction. If the wins at trial, the league can make a really strong argument that expansion is extremely damaging to the league and costs each franchise many millions over time. So Balmer should be compensated just with money. If that carries the day, Balmer gets a check for $150 million and his fees. He never gets a team. Seattle doesn’t get a team for at least 15 years.

If the Court grants him a team, Sacramento will almost have its arena done. Balmer gets a team. But the King stay in Sac, in some form or the other.

The NBA is way ahead of these clowns. This is a room full of folks like Balmer, and they are led by a commissioner who wants this to happen, is never pushed around, won’t be around to see a check cut to Balmer if the league loses, and has no problem being the “bad guy.” He’s the same person that was embarrassed and chided on the floor of the Washington senate on this issue 6 years ago. He’s not to be messed with but extremely smart and calculated. They probably picked Dallas because it’s much better on the anti-trust than the 9th circuit (more liberal) and 2nd (extremely pro business). Regardless of where the contract was made, the sale was blocked and probably the team was taken away in Dallas.

I would bet on Sacramento winning. Sacramento only loses if the league thinks the anti-trust laws completely precludes them from having any control over where new owners, who haven’t yet signed the bylaws, put their teams. Otherwise, they will defend that right in Court.

At this point, I think it’s very possible the Maloofs are simply thrown out of the league on Wednesday with a check. I don’t think anything could make me happier.

Last edited: