Maloof Plan B rumors and other news, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Sadly not. There IS NO WAY the NBA can let the Maloofs leave the meeting with the team in their possession. There is a very, very ugly back up plan in place for Hansen. The BM and H/B KNOW that if the team stays in Sac with them as owners quite literally no one will attend games. More to the point is has become abundantly clear that Hansen HAS to have a team in Seattle ASAP to keep from loosing big on his Arena con. It seems highly likely that the Maloofs will move the team Seattle with or with out permission ala Bud Sterling and then settle the rest in court, under the assumption that any resolution will not include some forced relocation back to Sac. Then they just play out the course of action that says since we are now up in Seattle you might as well let us sell. I have no idea how likely this scenario is but don't think its not in the play book as one of several options.
I think that is the logical next step with this "back up plan". S**tle group wants Maloofs to do all the heavy lifting as if they aren't proving themselves to be undesirables with each passing second.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sadly not. There IS NO WAY the NBA can let the Maloofs leave the meeting with the team in their possession. There is a very, very ugly back up plan in place for Hansen. The BM and H/B KNOW that if the team stays in Sac with them as owners quite literally no one will attend games. More to the point is has become abundantly clear that Hansen HAS to have a team in Seattle ASAP to keep from loosing big on his Arena con. It seems highly likely that the Maloofs will move the team Seattle with or with out permission ala Bud Sterling and then settle the rest in court, under the assumption that any resolution will not include some forced relocation back to Sac. Then they just play out the course of action that says since we are now up in Seattle you might as well let us sell. I have no idea how likely this scenario is but don't think its not in the play book as one of several options.
They cannot do that for the simple reason they wouldn't have any opponents. If they move the team against NBA rules, they void the franchise agreement with the NBA. I'd have to dig to find the cite, but this specific possibility was addressed by the NBA after the Clippers moved to LA. A team cannot be moved without the approval of the BoG. Period. Even the Maloofs wouldn't be that stupid.

gunks

Hall of Famer
They cannot do that for the simple reason they wouldn't have any opponents. If they move the team against NBA rules, they void the franchise agreement with the NBA. I'd have to dig to find the cite, but this specific possibility was addressed by the NBA after the Clippers moved to LA. A team cannot be moved without the approval of the BoG. Period. Even the Maloofs wouldn't be that stupid.
Never misunderestimate the stupidity of a Maloof.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Maybe, but I am learning to never underestimate the greed or stupidity the Maloofs. I am fairly confident that the NBA will NOT let the Maloofrs leave the meeting on Wed as owners nor will they let the team go to Hansen the opportunity for mischief is just too great and they have already wasted WAY too much time and energy. I am also very sure Hansen will never own an NBA team now.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hence my "some kings fan needs to stake out the arena and make sure no moving vans pull up" theory. If they do, you need to hop on here right quick and get Gary down there to arrest the hell out of the whole lot of them for burglary.

Well, myself, I've been to plenty of games this season, supporting the team and doing my part, now it's just a matter of crossing my fingers and hoping for the best with the meetings and vote this week....The nerves are going crazy!!....

In September 2004 we had a catastrophic server failure, which resulted in all data for the board being lost. (The company went bankrupt and our backup data was also lost.) We had to start over from scratch. That's why you'll see so many members with a Sept. 2004 join date.
And the franchise hasn't been the same since! ;)

Just as a last note I've been on this board for 9 years now. I thought this place was for Kings fans, not just the town but the team. Speak one opinion and that's what I get. Recommended this board to a few folks. I've seen Laker fans get treated better. Well alrighty then looks from like this isn't the place for me. See y'all.
Well if they move to Seattle they won't be the Kings, they'll be the Sonics...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Maybe, but I am learning to never underestimate the greed or stupidity the Maloofs. I am fairly confident that the NBA will NOT let the Maloofrs leave the meeting on Wed as owners nor will they let the team go to Hansen the opportunity for mischief is just too great and they have already wasted WAY too much time and energy. I am also very sure Hansen will never own an NBA team now.
Agreed. The reputation of the NBA is on the line now. They fold to this latest Maloofery and they're fair game for every sleaze-bucket nincompoop with bags of money and a desire to own a sports team that comes along.

Grant Napear is not from Sacramento and makes no bones about it - still claiming to be a Kings fan. Years ago he said on his radio show he wasn't a Kings fan, only teams paid TV announcer. Just like he now boasts of being big supporter of the grass roots efforts to keep Kings in Sacramento. Napear is two-faced, lying, traitorous punk. He's from New York City and we get that obvious boring, blatant, bias, constantly on his local sports radio show which is all about his NY Giants, his NY Yankees, his New York Rangers over OUR Giants, A's, 49ers, Raiders, Sharks. I hate the weasel Napear just about as much as I despise hideous Maloofs!
Nope. He's a kings fan. That may have been true when he first moved here, but his wife is from here, his kids were born here. He is a Sacramentian now.

Dude, you and Gary were the ones that were out of line. SacKings384 didn't violate any of our rules. YOU GUYS DID by attacking him.
The guy said he's a kings fan but actually supports the team moving to seattle. Maybe that was A TAD INFLAMMATORY!!! He said this on a KINGS SITE!!!!
Cmon VF, your gonna get mad at people getting mad at this guy? Who's the one being unreasonable here?

Im at alot of team sites. What was said to Mr. Thin-skin was tame compared to 90% of other team sites. If that was enough to run him off then so be it.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In another report of Plan B:

In the event the NBA owners reject the Kings relocating to Seattle, one goal of the proposed "backup" deal between the Maloofs and the Hansen group may be putting pressure on Sacramento to agree to terms for a new arena, ESPN reported.
Obviously, these tidbits are being written by people without a working knowledge of what's been going on in Sacramento for years. And it boogles the mind that anyone with half a brain (which of course means Georgie) could entertain the idea that anyone could broker another arena deal if this one is shot down.

I cannot wait until this is over and the madness stops.

Bricklayer

The guy said he's a kings fan but actually supports the team moving to seattle. Maybe that was A TAD INFLAMMATORY!!! He said this on a KINGS SITE!!!!
Cmon VF, your gonna get mad at people getting mad at this guy? Who's the one being unreasonable here?

Im at alot of team sites. What was said to Mr. Thin-skin was tame compared to 90% of other team sites. If that was enough to run him off then so be it.
SacKings384 has nearly 3000 posts on this site dating back years. That buys you a lot of credit.

Nope. He's a kings fan. That may have been true when he first moved here, but his wife is from here, his kids were born here. He is a Sacramentian now.
I met Napear in 1990-91 at a friends New Years party before he was all that well known locally. He had come to town from Midwest TV station to be sports director at local affiliate here (Ch. 40?). This was before he had his KHTK radio show (starting 1995) in which he co-hosted call-in duties first with Jack Youngblood, later Mike Lamb. I believe this was during stretch that he also shared Kings TV play-by-play with other broadcasters including Gary Gerould. Plus, as I recall Napear occasionally did Kings radio play-by-play back then. I did not say he was not a Kings fan, only that he is not from Sacramento and makes that point extremely clear in an arrogant, condescending like way. He did say about a decade or so ago on his radio show that he was NOT a fan of the Kings, just its TV broadcaster. The wife you speak of is his second one from this area and he reportedly has paid, been paying lots of child support for his two sons from first divorce. I heard his two sons don't like him much either as his ex-wife concurs. I stand totally behind what I said, he's always been loyal most to "his" NYC pro teams, NOT our local NFL, MLB, NHL franchises in Northern Calif. His Maloof blatant boot-licking up until very recently sealed deal with me, most long-time loyal, clear thinking Sacramento Kings fans about his true colors once and for all.

Bricklayer

I met Napear in 1990-91 at a friends New Years party before he was all that well known locally. He had come to town from Midwest TV station to be sports director at local affiliate here (Ch. 40?). This was before he had his KHTK radio show (starting 1995) in which he co-hosted call-in duties first with Jack Youngblood, later Mike Lamb. I believe this was during stretch that he also shared Kings TV play-by-play with other broadcasters including Gary Gerould. Plus, as I recall Napear occasionally did Kings radio play-by-play back then. I did not say he was not a Kings fan, only that he is not from Sacramento and makes that point extremely clear in an arrogant, condescending like way. He did say about a decade or so ago on his radio show that he was NOT a fan of the Kings, just its TV broadcaster. The wife you speak of is his second one from this area and he reportedly has paid, been paying lots of child support for his two sons from first divorce. I heard his two sons don't like him much either as his ex-wife concurs. I stand totally behind what I said, he's always been loyal most to "his" NYC pro teams, NOT our local NFL, MLB, NHL franchises in Northern Calif. His Maloof blatant boot-licking up until very recently sealed deal with me, most long-time loyal, clear thinking Sacramento Kings fans about his true colors once and for all.
Frankly I always considered it a lack of pride that caused Sacramentans to support teams from the Bay Area and made it a point not to when I was local. :p I surely wouldn't hold a sportscaster from across the country to that kind of standard.

No fan of Napear am I, but come now, you have some overdeveloped bug about NYC or whatever, but when somebody has been broadcasting for a team for 25years, he is a huge fan. He's met and known every single figure in every aspect of the Sacramento Kings for decades. This is the same guy who was crying on TV with Jerry a couple of years back when the Maloofs tried the Anaheim gambit. And no, I don't believe it was because he was out of a job.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Aside from character assassination, what's your point? Chris Webber wasn't from Sacramento either, and didn't want to even come here. Look how that worked out...

I can be as critical of Napear as anyone around, but bringing up his wife and kids is in pretty poor taste, IMHO.

I believe wholeheartedly that come Lottery Night which is 10 days away, that Vivek Ranadive will be sitting on the dais in NYC. I absolutely hate what the Maloofs have done to this fan base, but my friends, this nightmare will be over in approximately 96 hours when David Stern and the BOG drops the proverbial hammer on Hansen Balmer Maloof. You can not intimidate David Stern and think you can get away with it.

I only have to go back 18 months and the NBA Lockout to see that "What David Stern Wants, David Stern Gets". And the aftermath is not always pretty (example - Billy Hunter)

Aside from character assassination, what's your point? Chris Webber wasn't from Sacramento either, and didn't want to even come here. Look how that worked out...

I can be as critical of Napear as anyone around, but bringing up his wife and kids is in pretty poor taste, IMHO.
I wouldn't call it character assassination but character check reality. He's a public figure so subject to such assessment and opinion - besides it's been out there before. There is no comparison to Chris Webber since the point is about true loyalty. Basically, it's about a Johnny come lately to the Kings Here We Stay movement and trying desperately to hang onto it for dear life if not claiming huge credit for it ever getting launched. What total BS by two-faced Napear!

"The Best Interest of the League" Clause

Can somebody with knowledge explain exactly what this is? And how it has been used. It seems like it is only used in times of extreme emergency, such as New Orleans. And I still don't know why it was used then.

In another report of Plan B:

Obviously, these tidbits are being written by people without a working knowledge of what's been going on in Sacramento for years. And it boogles the mind that anyone with half a brain (which of course means Georgie) could entertain the idea that anyone could broker another arena deal if this one is shot down.

I cannot wait until this is over and the madness stops.

That would be the point, for the arena talks to go nowhere... HBN and the Maloofs have one end game for this team... Really it would be unfathomable if the .00005% goes through and they own this team here... We've already went through a couple of lame duck seasons despising and pulling back resources from owners.. Can anyone imagine the HBN scumbags and/or Maloofs here demanding an arena totally publicly funded why running the organization into the ground for 2 years while they bide time to reapply for relocation? Talk about an undeserving scenario for us that better not come to fruition. In a wierd way I think that would strengthen my resolve and make me go to more games

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Can somebody with knowledge explain exactly what this is? And how it has been used. It seems like it is only used in times of extreme emergency, such as New Orleans. And I still don't know why it was used then.
We cannot explain it "exactly" because the NBA Constitution and By-Laws are not public documents. We can surmise, however, that there is a provision that allows the NBA to step in and assume something like a conservator's role when a team is not being operated "in the best interests of the league". It's widely thought that such a provision would allow the NBA to step in and assume control of the kings, act in the place of the Maloofs, conducting the sale to the Sacramento group and then forwarding the proceeds to the Maloofs.

It might also allow the NBA to purchase the Kings themselves for the same amount as offered in the original sales agreement, thus ridding themselves and the world of the Maloofs. The NBA could then turn around and sell the Kings to whomever they please>

We cannot explain it "exactly" because the NBA Constitution and By-Laws are not public documents. We can surmise, however, that there is a provision that allows the NBA to step in and assume something like a conservator's role when a team is not being operated "in the best interests of the league". It's widely thought that such a provision would allow the NBA to step in and assume control of the kings, act in the place of the Maloofs, conducting the sale to the Sacramento group and then forwarding the proceeds to the Maloofs.

It might also allow the NBA to purchase the Kings themselves for the same amount as offered in the original sales agreement, thus ridding themselves and the world of the Maloofs. The NBA could then turn around and sell the Kings to whomever they please>
This actually could leave the doors open for the league to match Hansen's bid and then take control of the team, and give the remaining balance to the Maloof's after they take their cut of what's owed to them. Turn around and sell the team to Sac at fair market value.

I wonder if the NBA would do something like that, because obviously Hansen is the one creating all this mess, and we know an immoveable Sacramento Kings team isn't worth 600 million. The NBA would lose a lot of money on this but at the same time they would get rid of a bunch of headaches.

This actually could leave the doors open for the league to match Hansen's bid and then take control of the team, and give the remaining balance to the Maloof's after they take their cut of what's owed to them. Turn around and sell the team to Sac at fair market value.

I wonder if the NBA would do something like that, because obviously Hansen is the one creating all this mess, and we know an immoveable Sacramento Kings team isn't worth 600 million. The NBA would lose a lot of money on this but at the same time they would get rid of a bunch of headaches.
This is the one part that gives me pause. I'm not sure how they force the sale to sac without doing something like this but it would require the league to not only pass on extra money from the Seattle sale but also cost them money. We're really banking on their absolute desire to be keeping a team in sac, no matter the cost. It would be an unprecedented win for the little guy, which would be a great story.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I don't think it would be "fair market value." My best guess is that if the NBA steps in, they pay the Maloofs the price they agreed to accept from Seattle, get them out of the way, and then sell the team to Vivek for the amount he agreed to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.