A Sonics fan's point of view

Status
Not open for further replies.
KJ let something slip in his press conference the other day.

Watch the end of the video....."We can't wait to be playing them (Seattle) in the 2015-16 season"

The look on his face says it all.

Telling you all, Seattle is getting an expansion team.

http://www.king5.com/video?id=206524861&sec=549122
Seriously? He was speaking hypothetically. If you honestly believe that was a slip, you are more delusional than I previously thought.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Hoopster is a die hard fan who needs the gentle guidance of the Kings fans. Don't knock him. I don't know what that look of KJ's meant. There are several scenarios where the Sonics may rise from the ashes. I doubt if an expansion team would be ready for the season KJ was referring to. That's pretty fast. I would set sights on the Bucks. The political will in Milwaukee to build a stadium is almost non-existent and Kohl can't afford it himself. The one thing, THE MAJOR THING, that could stop the Bucks from leaving Milwaukee is if Kohl got together an ownership group just as KJ did and remember, Kohl is the far more experienced and respected politician than KJ. THAT is a fact. I would be surprised if Kohl or his people haven't been in contact with KJ or Burkle.

Boy, that note drifted. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Seriously? He was speaking hypothetically. If you honestly believe that was a slip, you are more delusional than I previously thought.
That's my take, too.

If Seattle fans are now reduced to trying to interpret looks from our mayor, they really need to step back and take a break. And quit drinking coffee for a couple of days.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Seattle will get the Sonics back. You can bet on it. If you have an ownership group who is not only willing to spend $350+ (million) for a team but has that money on hand and a proposed arena in the works, it's only a matter of time. Any Seattle fans who are upset about this outcome, just take a big step back and think it over for a second. The vote on the table right now is about the Sacramento Kings. Has Sacramento done enough to keep the team? Clearly the answer is yes. The next question on the table is does Seattle have the wherewithal to support a team? I think the answer to that is clearly yes as well. It will happen, you just have to be patient. Meanwhile you've got the Mariners, the Seahawks, the Huskies, and one of the most beautiful cities in the world to tide you over. You're going to be fine. The most likely scenario is one in which both cities win, so there's nothing really to be upset about.

Last edited:
After a new TV deal (when?) the Sonics will have a team. There will probably be steps taken before a deal even happens, so the process will go fast. Stern, Silver, and the Miami owner have pretty much laid that out there now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And that fan is about to get himself sued big time. If I were him, I would get myself a good lawyer and plead insanity!
There's no way the fan can be sued. Arison sent the messages without any reason to assume confidentiality. The fan was under no obligation to keep them private. Carmichael Dave was talking about the lawsuits on Twitter last night just to rattle the cage of Dah-Knee.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
After a new TV deal (when?) the Sonics will have a team. There will probably be steps taken before a deal even happens, so the process will go fast. Stern, Silver, and the Miami owner have pretty much laid that out there now.
IF and only if Hansen/Ballmer don't stop with the scorched-earth attitude. If Hansen continues to try and force the NBA's hand, he'll never be part of that elite boy's club called the NBA.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
IF and only if Hansen/Ballmer don't stop with the scorched-earth attitude. If Hansen continues to try and force the NBA's hand, he'll never be part of that elite boy's club called the NBA.
It's worse than that. By being so vocal he is encouraging fans to take take an even more pugnacious attitude. All one needs to do is look at the comments at Stomachs-Rising to see that a good number of fans are "swearing off the NBA forever" or demanding lawsuits. This poising of the well may well guarantee that Seattle will not see a team for some time now, not so much out of vengeance (that is why Hansen and Balmer may never own one) but because it seriously raises questions about the viability of a market that seem to despise the NBA.

Last edited:
After checking out some of the commentary from Sonics-Sinking I've come to the conclusion that many of these guys, especially their lead commentators, are total tools.

I understand passion but these guys just don't get it..... and never will.

Totally difficult to have anything positive to think about those guys.

After checking out some of the commentary from Sonics-Sinking I've come to the conclusion that many of these guys, especially their lead commentators, are total tools.

I understand passion but these guys just don't get it..... and never will.

Totally difficult to have anything positive to think about those guys.
Want to see something funny at sonicssinking? Go into their archive to about page 30 (you can easily just key it into the address bar under /archives/30. Their attitude was the same as our now, wondering why we are even trying. There were a lot of "done deal" and "that's the ballgame" comments.

Remember our "never give up attitude" at that time? Sure there was a lot of depression, but we still were hopeful. These guys at sonicssinking now that the tables have been flipped are nothing like we were when times were rough. They are literally cursing anything and everyone over there that has to do with the NBA.

That's why as Kings fans we are called some of the classiest fans in the NBA.

What I don't understand about Seattle is the hypocrisy. When this whole thing started, Hansen would always remind the fans that he was in it for the "long haul" and that they may very well need to be "patient". You had a ton of fans talking about how they didn't want to take the Kings and would prefer expansion.

Now, it's the complete opposite. Hansen is threatening lawsuits and the fans prefer the Kings to expansion. What the heck happened? Is there something we don't know?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
"The strip club does not want to sell". ;););)

LOL.. Strip club next to the new arena...
There's a strip club right outside the Century Link too. Not sure if Seattle is like Portland, but they are everywhere here. I mean as prevalent as colleges and universities are in Boston. And they all have full bars.

It's worse than that. By being so vocal he is encouraging fans to take take an even more pugnacious attitude. All one needs to do is look at the comments at Stomachs-Rising to see that a good number of fans are "swearing off the NBA forever" or demanding lawsuits. This poising of the well may well guarantee that Seattle will not see a team for some time now, not so much out of vengeance (that is why Hansen and Balmer may never own one) but because it seriously raises questions about the viability of a market that seem to despise the NBA.

You have to understand, a lot of people Seattle in 2008 wanted the mayor Nickels to go scorched earth and force the NBA to stay two more years through their lease, and if they had gone that route in retrospect, Bennett would have been forced to sell (a few short months after moving the team the economy went belly up, and at that point it would have made absolutely no sense). Ultimately Nickels got voted out. So the people did speak, and Nickels rationale failed.

Its one of the most baffling things about Stern's reign, the fact that he'd move a team from a market of 3.5 million to one of 1.2 and think it was a good business decision for the league. Or to think it would be smart precedent to rip apart a team with substantial NBA history (a championship, number of hall of fame players, not to mention between 1975 to 2002 Sonics were in the playoffs 19 out of the 27 years). A number of NBA players hail from the state of Washington, and there are two successful college basketball programs in the state as well. Needless to say, basketball is quite big in the Northwest. Which makes the whole thing even more puzzling, that Stern would honestly think taking NBA away from a state with a big interest in the sport and putting it in a state where college football rules over all. I'll never forgive Stern, it was the most cold hearted way to burn down a 41 year history.

Sacramento got caught in the crossfire of a bitter, bitter fight thats ultimately Seattle vs. Stern. It would have been very easy for Stern to announce expansion right after the arena plan got approved, avoiding this whole mess with Sacramento, but the league didn't do that partially because they wanted to see the Kings sold for such a high price. If the league doesn't expand to Seattle, honestly I hope its scorched earth because its what should have happened in 2008.

You guys may think I'm a hypocrite but I'm not, I just don't have patience. Sacramento deserves its team. My position is that if expansion isnt announced soon after May 15th as a consolation for Seattle's efforts here, I'm not waiting around another 5 years for the Sonics. There is no logical reason to wait until 2018 or even 2020 for the Sonics to return, its too far long at that point, 10-12 years beyond the point in which the team moved. There are no available teams until 2017 at the earliest, and any expansion will be two years at the earliest from when its announced. So if the NBA is waiting around until after the TV deal is signed, honestly it will be too late. And Ballmer/Hansen understand this, which is why from what I'm hearing, they are lawyering up big time to go nuclear anti-trust case on Stern.

Like I said, this is a much bigger battle that is ultimately Seattle vs. Stern. Sacramento never deserved to get in the middle of this. If its not basketball in Seattle, seeing Stern backed into a corner, having to deal with the worst situation of his career right at the end, and potentially losing a major anti-trust lawsuit, would be enough closure for me. Maybe I'll even become a fan of the Kings if that happens, I quite like you guys.

Last edited:
How can you give such a grandiose explanation of how viable the Seattle market is, and then go on to say in 5 years it will be too late? That's a huge disconnect. If you all are so amazing, 5 more years is not to late. Many people have mentioned that this shows just how fickle the fan base in Seattle is... or at the very least how fickle the vocal portion of the fan base is. You are doing a diservice to those who are trying to show the strength of the market to the NBA.

You have to understand, a lot of people Seattle in 2008 wanted the mayor Nickels to go scorched earth and force the NBA to stay two more years through their lease, and if they had gone that route in retrospect, Bennett would have been forced to sell (a few short months after moving the team the economy went belly up, and at that point it would have made absolutely no sense). Ultimately Nickels got voted out. So the people did speak, and Nickels rationale failed.

Its one of the most baffling things about Stern's reign, the fact that he'd move a team from a market of 3.5 million to one of 1.2 and think it was a good business decision for the league. Or to think it would be smart precedent to rip apart a team with substantial NBA history (a championship, number of hall of fame players, not to mention between 1975 to 2002 Sonics were in the playoffs 19 out of the 27 years). A number of NBA players hail from the state of Washington, and there are two successful college basketball programs in the state as well. Needless to say, basketball is quite big in the Northwest. Which makes the whole thing even more puzzling, that Stern would honestly think taking NBA away from a state with a big interest in the sport and putting it in a state where college football rules over all. I'll never forgive Stern, it was the most cold hearted way to burn down a 41 year history.

Sacramento got caught in the crossfire of a bitter, bitter fight thats ultimately Seattle vs. Stern. It would have been very easy for Stern to announce expansion right after the arena plan got approved, avoiding this whole mess with Sacramento, but the league didn't do that partially because they wanted to see the Kings sold for such a high price. If the league doesn't expand to Seattle, honestly I hope its scorched earth because its what should have happened in 2008.

You guys may think I'm a hypocrite but I'm not, I just don't have patience. Sacramento deserves its team. My position is that if expansion isnt announced soon after May 15th as a consolation for Seattle's efforts here, I'm not waiting around another 5 years for the Sonics. There is no logical reason to wait until 2018 or even 2020 for the Sonics to return, its too far long at that point, 10-12 years beyond the point in which the team moved. There are no available teams until 2017 at the earliest, and any expansion will be two years at the earliest from when its announced. So if the NBA is waiting around until after the TV deal is signed, honestly it will be too late. And Ballmer/Hansen understand this, which is why from what I'm hearing, they are lawyering up big time to go nuclear anti-trust case on Stern.

Like I said, this is a much bigger battle that is ultimately Seattle vs. Stern. Sacramento never deserved to get in the middle of this. If its not basketball in Seattle, seeing Stern backed into a corner, having to deal with the worst situation of his career right at the end, and potentially losing a major anti-trust lawsuit, would be enough closure for me. Maybe I'll even become a fan of the Kings if that happens, I quite like you guys.
So why DO you think Stern (or the NBA) moved the Sonics?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

And that's why after Wednesday, I'll be very happy to leave you guys alone to your war with Stern. Personally, I don't think you'll get very far. You Seattle folk seem to see what you want to see in a lot of this, and that includes the apparent assumption that Stern and the NBA didn't make sure already that they've got all their ducks in a row. Big mistake IMHO.

You have to understand...
Ah, the Seattle mantra. Everybody else needs to understand them, but they don't want to understand what everybody else knows. YOU gave your team away. It wasn't "stolen". Your fans didn't rally to keep the team; your politicians didn't support the team, refused to partner for a new arena and even told the NBA to "take the money from the players"; your leaders passed legislation to prevent arena subsidies for the NBA after granting subsidies for NFL and MBL teams. Your "billionaires" didn't step up to buy the team when it went up for sale, even thought the two bidders were known to want to move the team.

Before pointing the finger, look in the mirror. It sucks that you lost your team, it sucks that you still don't have a team, and it sucks that it may take a few more years for it to happen. But to try to steal another city's team with the "we deserve it more" attitude is despicable. To stomp your feet and throw tantrums when it doesn't happen is childish. To want to declare war on the very league that you hope will bring a team back to your city is just plain stupid.

SEATTLE blew it in 2008. You'll get another team when the time is right. No sooner, no later. In the meatime, stop acting like stupid over-caffeinated brats with your "pee on everyone" attitude. Otherwise, don't be surprised when you get no sympathy from others.

And that's why after Wednesday, I'll be very happy to leave you guys alone to your war with Stern. Personally, I don't think you'll get very far. You Seattle folk seem to see what you want to see in a lot of this, and that includes the apparent assumption that Stern and the NBA didn't make sure already that they've got all their ducks in a row. Big mistake IMHO.

A lot of sonics fans underestimate the acumen of Stern, they think he's just some random low-level official that doesn't fully grasp the rules of the game.

It's pretty fantastic how the fans at sonics rising are are spinning any conceivable way to sue the NBA. Sad really. The saddest part is if Hansen really did talk the Maloofs into backing out of the deal last year. He put the fans through this. They should be mad at him. There appears to be no moral character in that city.

Ah, the Seattle mantra. Everybody else needs to understand them, but they don't want to understand what everybody else knows. YOU gave your team away. It wasn't "stolen". Your fans didn't rally to keep the team; your politicians didn't support the team, refused to partner for a new arena and even told the NBA to "take the money from the players"; your leaders passed legislation to prevent arena subsidies for the NBA after granting subsidies for NFL and MBL teams. Your "billionaires" didn't step up to buy the team when it went up for sale, even thought the two bidders were known to want to move the team.

Before pointing the finger, look in the mirror. It sucks that you lost your team, it sucks that you still don't have a team, and it sucks that it may take a few more years for it to happen. But to try to steal another city's team with the "we deserve it more" attitude is despicable. To stomp your feet and throw tantrums when it doesn't happen is childish. To want to declare war on the very league that you hope will bring a team back to your city is just plain stupid.

SEATTLE blew it in 2008. You'll get another team when the time is right. No sooner, no later. In the meatime, stop acting like stupid over-caffeinated brats with your "pee on everyone" attitude. Otherwise, don't be surprised when you get no sympathy from others.
and Jose wins the thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.