Unanimous vote to block relocation!!!!

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This idea of Hansen buying the Kings without the ability to move them seems to be gaining some odd momentum - albeit primarily from the Pacific Northwest. I think Sonics fans are now wishing for Hansen to do to Sacramento what Clay Bennett did to Seattle. Fascinating from a psychological perspective, utterly ridiculous from a logical perspective.

Ignoring first of all that the situations are different because Sacramento HAS a new arena plan which Seattle didn't at the time of Bennett's theft AND that talk has been that Hansen's deal with the Maloofs was contingent on moving the team there's simply no indication that the league would want that outcome.

Stern and the BOG want this situation resolved. Not temporarily but for the long haul. The Maloofs have been a circus over the last two seasons and their dalliances with Anaheim, Virginia Beach and now Seattle lend an air of instability to not just their franchise but the league as a whole. Why on EARTH would they want to continue the spectacle? Here are some key pieces of info that ALL suggest this can't and won't happen.

1. The current ownership group owns the land the arena would be built on
2. The city council voted to move forward with the ownership group KJ helped bring together, NOT with Hansen or anyone else
3. The commitment of Burkle and the rest of the group to redeveloping downtown hinges on the Kings and a new arena. At the mere thought of Hansen engaging in this charade they'd pull out, killing the whole deal.
4. Monetizing the parking only works if investors are convinced that a new arena for the Kings is being built. No one would believe that with Hansen at the helm and thus (AGAIN) the arena is a non-starter
5. The endgame move to Seattle in a few years would simply start this soap opera up again, which the league absolutely does not want

If the NBA wanted the team in Seattle it would have simply approved the relocation. But to follow up a unanimous vote against it with allowing Hansen to buy the team, continue the drama and pain for Sacramento fans and THEN allow it to move is just simply something that anyone thinking rationally would dismiss out of hand.

But these are the flailings of passionate Sonics fans who feel rejected by the NBA a second time and of a rich, hedge fund manager and uber wealthy software CEO who can't believe someone said no to them. It will be frustrating but we just have to play out the string now.

I do feel bad for most true Sonics fans (my family up there definitely included) and can understand where they are at emotionally. Sonics fans are like a man whose wife blindsided him with a divorce. He finally regroups and falls in love with someone else but she happens to be married and won't leave her husband. And just as in the analogy, the right thing to do is understand the situation and walk away to try again rather than do everything in your power to ruin someone else's marriage.

And because of that my sympathies only go so far for some of the fans I've seen commenting on the Seattle side. Speaking of which - no comments from Spencer Hawes lately? ;)

Fear and anxiety can become a breeding ground for paranoia and delusional thinking. It is good to keep this in mind as it all moves forward.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The BM may have forced it by accident. When they were demanding a written back up matching offer, with deposit Stern muscled them into a binding back up offer,that they agreed to accept IF the Seattle deal fell through. This was immediately followed by Hansen upping his offer. At least that was my understanding that long weekend
I remember something like this and what whozit said. The Maloofs never signed it but Stern said it was binding just the same. Oh, my, this gets legally confusing and I am not a lawyer. I still have the right to be legally confused. :)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I honestly can't believe you guys are wasting as much time as you are typing out thoughts on Hansen buying the team.
Hansen is not going to buy the team. The BoG will axe that. The nit picky point is whether that automatically means they will accept the Sacto bid. I don't think that is 100% but more like 99%. The Maloofs are tired and this idea that they will quibble over $16 mil or whatever it is (do we really know how much the Sacto group offered?) may seem small eventually. Unfortunately George is not a businessman no matter what he thinks. You can't be this irrational and be successful in the business world.

I can understand George not wishing to talk to KJ or anyone from this area because everyone from this area has made him look like a fool. He might be very happy if the NBA negotiated a sale and very willing to accept the millions involved from ANYBODY.

Why do I keep discussing this? I need a life.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This idea of Hansen buying the Kings without the ability to move them seems to be gaining some odd momentum - albeit primarily from the Pacific Northwest. I think Sonics fans are now wishing for Hansen to do to Sacramento what Clay Bennett did to Seattle. Fascinating from a psychological perspective, utterly ridiculous from a logical perspective.

Ignoring first of all that the situations are different because Sacramento HAS a new arena plan which Seattle didn't at the time of Bennett's theft AND that talk has been that Hansen's deal with the Maloofs was contingent on moving the team there's simply no indication that the league would want that outcome.

Stern and the BOG want this situation resolved. Not temporarily but for the long haul. The Maloofs have been a circus over the last two seasons and their dalliances with Anaheim, Virginia Beach and now Seattle lend an air of instability to not just their franchise but the league as a whole. Why on EARTH would they want to continue the spectacle? Here are some key pieces of info that ALL suggest this can't and won't happen.

1. The current ownership group owns the land the arena would be built on
2. The city council voted to move forward with the ownership group KJ helped bring together, NOT with Hansen or anyone else
3. The commitment of Burkle and the rest of the group to redeveloping downtown hinges on the Kings and a new arena. At the mere thought of Hansen engaging in this charade they'd pull out, killing the whole deal.
4. Monetizing the parking only works if investors are convinced that a new arena for the Kings is being built. No one would believe that with Hansen at the helm and thus (AGAIN) the arena is a non-starter
5. The endgame move to Seattle in a few years would simply start this soap opera up again, which the league absolutely does not want

If the NBA wanted the team in Seattle it would have simply approved the relocation. But to follow up a unanimous vote against it with allowing Hansen to buy the team, continue the drama and pain for Sacramento fans and THEN allow it to move is just simply something that anyone thinking rationally would dismiss out of hand.

But these are the flailings of passionate Sonics fans who feel rejected by the NBA a second time and of a rich, hedge fund manager and uber wealthy software CEO who can't believe someone said no to them. It will be frustrating but we just have to play out the string now.

I do feel bad for most true Sonics fans (my family up there definitely included) and can understand where they are at emotionally. Sonics fans are like a man whose wife blindsided him with a divorce. He finally regroups and falls in love with someone else but she happens to be married and won't leave her husband. And just as in the analogy, the right thing to do is understand the situation and walk away to try again rather than do everything in your power to ruin someone else's marriage.

And because of that my sympathies only go so far for some of the fans I've seen commenting on the Seattle side. Speaking of which - no comments from Spencer Hawes lately? ;)
There are a few notes that should calm people down and this is one of them.

I feel sorry for the Sonics fans as they have not been fed the full story.

BTW, Omri Casspi congratulated Sacramento via Twitter.

Hansen is not going to buy the team. The BoG will axe that. The nit picky point is whether that automatically means they will accept the Sacto bid. I don't think that is 100% but more like 99%. The Maloofs are tired and this idea that they will quibble over $16 mil or whatever it is (do we really know how much the Sacto group offered?) may seem small eventually. Unfortunately George is not a businessman no matter what he thinks. You can't be this irrational and be successful in the business world.

I can understand George not wishing to talk to KJ or anyone from this area because everyone from this area has made him look like a fool. He might be very happy if the NBA negotiated a sale and very willing to accept the millions involved from ANYBODY.

Why do I keep discussing this? I need a life.
Discussing this is fine. 500 word post about Hansen seems like self torture.

I honestly can't believe you guys are wasting as much time as you are typing out thoughts on Hansen buying the team.
Neither can I. It's a done deal, and there is ZERO chance Hansen can own the Kings in Sacramento, and since the team isn't going to be relocated there is pretty much ZERO chance he will own the team in Seattle either.

I think the media is just spinning it to make themselves feel better and then that causes people here and on the Sonics sites to discuss it. I am pretty tired of discussing this though, and tomorrow we will have the 50% in escrow so hopefully I won't have to discuss it much longer.

Yes, Stern said the Sacramento offer is binding in his news conference after the BOG meeting.
Note that the context of that statement was that the Sacramento group is obligated to follow through with it. Stern's statement did not (necessarily) mean that the Maloofs had to. So really that's not relevant to the current question of whether the Maloofs will agree to the Sacramento offer.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Note that the context of that statement was that the Sacramento group is obligated to follow through with it. Stern's statement did not (necessarily) mean that the Maloofs had to. So really that's not relevant to the current question of whether the Maloofs will agree to the Sacramento offer.
This highlights my question. On the other hand, George doesn't want to fall over dead from tension and I think will agree to the deal give or take a few million. My opinion is not fact.

Agreed.. I always thought our binding backup offer unfortunately only binded us

Agreed.. I always thought our binding backup offer unfortunately only binded us
Which, once the BOG rejected relocation, if equal money would effectively bind the Maloofs as well, since no one else would pay more to keep the Kings in Sac.

The entire Seattle argument at this point is that there is no grounds to deny the sale to Hansen and that once the BOG HAS to approve the sale, he can move the team. Having never seen the league's rules nor the conditions of the Hansen deal, I don't know if anyone in the public can really respond definitively either way but I would be shocked if the league made a statement to vote down relocation only to approve the sale and have them move anyway.

Which, once the BOG rejected relocation, if equal money would effectively bind the Maloofs as well, since no one else would pay more to keep the Kings in Sac.

The entire Seattle argument at this point is that there is no grounds to deny the sale to Hansen and that once the BOG HAS to approve the sale, he can move the team. Having never seen the league's rules nor the conditions of the Hansen deal, I don't know if anyone in the public can really respond definitively either way but I would be shocked if the league made a statement to vote down relocation only to approve the sale and have them move anyway.
though the public can't respond definitively, since we're not privy to everything that has occurred behind closed doors, certainly the committee's decision to unanimously vote down relocation was a definitive statement. that alone should ease the majority of kings fans' worries. there will be some wrinkles to iron out before the final vote, i'm sure, and in the meantime chris hansen will stomp his feet like a toddler throwing a fit, which is all he really needs to do to hold media attention, but it's difficult to imagine a scenario in which the kings do not remain in sacramento under the proposed local ownership group. and those scenarios that we actually can imagine are so tremendously unlikely that we're much better off discussing draft day '13, since that will have considerably more impact on the future of the kings than the desperate attempts of chris hansen to stave off the death knell that will be ringing in seattle shortly...

dunno who it was that brought it up, but the main point in the Maloofs accepting the backup offer is that, should both deals fall through, they'd never ever ever get as much money as they're set to get now. the inflated price is due to the perception of Kings as a mobile franchise and Hansen/Ballmer's willingness to overpay for it. now, however, the league has sent a fairly strong signal that they won't be moving this franchise for as long as the market is viable, a strong potential ownership is around and an arena deal is in place. checks on all counts and checks at that, which are not likely to change. all of a sudden they'd stand to pay the operating costs of another year of NBA (which they can't afford), stand to gain only a realistic amount of money in the sale of the Kings (which probably won't leave them with all that much left, once they have all their loans paid), and need to still pay the interest rates on all of their outstanding loans (a substantial amount, one would guess). they are spiteful cretins, but they simply cannot afford to screw with this city and fanbase any longer.

edit:

no comments from Hawes, afaik, but this gave me a good chortle: http://www.libertyballers.com/2013/5/2/4291206/spencer-hawes-toot-it-boot-it-siberia

seems 76ers fans are about as enarmoured with him as we used to be. good grief, it's hilarious.

That being said: screw Spencer Hawes. Seriously. Boot him to Siberia. Maybe he can catch a cold. He can hang out with Royal Ivey and Lonny Baxter. Or maybe he can take out the Soviet Union. I’m sick of his temper tantrums, his attitude, his maddening inconsistency, his nonexistent defense, his stupid haircuts, his weak screens, his propensity for taking the worst shots as often as possible, and his everything else. In three short years he’s nearly reached the Willie Green level of hate for me. Do you know how much hate that is? I thought it impossible for me to hate a Sixer as much as I hated Willie Green. I booed Willie Green while sitting at home during nearly every game for 7 years. My least favorite number is 33 because of him. I like Craig Brackins unironically because Willie Green was traded for him. Hearing even "Willie" makes me cringe. Heck, I wrote a poem once to the tune of "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout" about how much I hated Willie during a freaking community service trip at an elementary school and scared the kids in the class because my hate for Willie Green knows no bounds. And no, I’m not sorry about doing that because the hate consumed me, and those kids needed to understand my problems.

Last edited:
dunno who it was that brought it up, but the main point in the Maloofs accepting the backup offer is that, should both deals fall through, they'd never ever ever get as much money as they're set to get now. the inflated price is due to the perception of Kings as a mobile franchise and Hansen/Ballmer's willingness to overpay for it. now, however, the league has sent a fairly strong signal that they won't be moving this franchise for as long as the market is viable, a strong potential ownership is around and an arena deal is in place. checks on all counts and checks at that, which are not likely to change. all of a sudden they'd stand to pay the operating costs of another year of NBA (which they can't afford), stand to gain only a realistic amount of money in the sale of the Kings (which probably won't leave them with all that much left, once they have all their loans paid), and need to still pay the interest rates on all of their outstanding loans (a substantial amount, one would guess). they are spiteful cretins, but they simply cannot afford to screw with this city and fanbase any longer.

edit:

no comments from Hawes, afaik, but this gave me a good chortle: http://www.libertyballers.com/2013/5/2/4291206/spencer-hawes-toot-it-boot-it-siberia

seems 76ers fans are about as enarmoured with him as we used to be. good grief, it's hilarious.
The Maloofs will sell. They will lose a lot of money if they do not sell to the Sac group once the relocation is voted down. No person in their right mind will overbid on the Kings with the intention of moving them because they know they will be promptly voted down. If the Maloofs waited until next year and the only bidders were people to keep the Kings here, it would fetch a much lower price than where it is currently.

The Maloofs will sell this year.

Binding is a two way street for contracts. In order for the Sacramento side to be binding the Maloofs had to agree too.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
hmmmmm.....

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 4m

SOURCES: NBA officials on the ground today touring Sleep Train Arena with members of Kings ownership elect.
This just in the NBA officials found an old locker filled with Moon Pie wrappers, and Yoo-Hoo bottles. Apparently that is where George did his shame binging... he called it his "Hurt Locker"

Dale Kasler ‏@dakasler 14m

NBA says league meeting w/Sacto re Sleep Train arena and new #NBAKings arena in preparation for May 15 BOG meeting
David Bienick ‏@kcrabienick 12m
We saw Phil Oates leaving Sleep Train this afternoon, but none of the main #nbakings investors.

David Bienick David Bienick ‏@kcrabienick 20m
#NBA spskmn confirms league officials in #Sac meeting with public and private sector officials about Sleep Train arena & downtown site.

David Bienick David Bienick ‏@kcrabienick 1h
Kelly says with good mgmt, #nbakings current lineup could experience "miracle" turn-around next season.

Kelly says one of group's first moves will be to hire #nbakings front office, but not necessarily new players right away.

Kelly says still no direct contact with Maloof family; working thru #NBA at this point.

#NBAkings investor Chris Kelly tells #kcra that group's "expectation" is to put 1/2 of purchase offer in escrow by Friday.
Sounding good so far.

The Maloofs will jump into selling mode as soon as Hansen backs off. Can't do it while Hansen has a fairly plausible iron in the fire. Patience, all will come together over the next weeks or month. Meantime we get to keep on posting.