And the countdown begins and other news, rumors, etc.

s

Dale Kasler Dale Kasler ‏@dakasler 4m

NBA confirms no vote this week on #NBAKings
I hate that it's being pushed more, but that's at least a good thing. However, it's a big bummer because we need to start getting our scouts ready and hiring our new coach/GM ASAP for the draft. I have a feeling that we might keep more of the staff than normal due to this delay.

Anyone else concerned that the Sacramento group still refuses to "match" the Hansen bid? This whole time KJ has kept using the word "competitive" throughout the bidding process, and the only response we have heard from stern was Sacramento's bid was "not comparable" despite KJ running around claiming our bid is "competitive".

We still don't even have any assurances KJ's team will match Hansen's original 525 bid, and now it seems they definitely won't match the 550 bid.

What is the point of all of this work and all of this campaigning if our groups seems willing to risk a small item like matching the bid when so much is at stake? It just doesn't make sense to me to leave anything to chance.

This franchise was valued at 300 million over a year ago.

525 is already 75 million above the record. Our group is being extorted just to get to 525

The fact of this being pushed back means there is indecision, and indecision would be enough for 8 votes so I don't necessarily like it

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This franchise was valued at 300 million over a year ago.

525 is already 75 million above the record. Our group is being extorted just to get to 525

The fact of this being pushed back means there is indecision, and indecision would be enough for 8 votes so I don't necessarily like it
Not necessarily. The fact it's being pushed back could easily mean that the BoG is taking a harder look at expansion, realizing they cannot afford to turn away EITHER ownership group or fan base. The only way to win is to find a way so neither group loses.

Not true. While Stern originally said the bid was not competitive, he made it clear in his last presser that money was no longer an issue. It's not a bidding war. if it was just about money, it would be over by now.
Indeed. Previous team sales have *NOT* gone to the highest bidder, but to a lower bid that was committed to keep the team in the same market (or at least make a "good faith" attempt to do so). So the Sacramento team doesn't necessarily need to be extorted to match the ridiculous Hansen bid. A competitive bid with a commitment to the Sacramento market should be enough based on previous sales.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The fact it's being pushed back could easily mean that the BoG is taking a harder look at expansion, realizing they cannot afford to turn away EITHER ownership group or fan base. The only way to win is to find a way so neither group loses.
"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I hate that it's being pushed more, but that's at least a good thing. However, it's a big bummer because we need to start getting our scouts ready and hiring our new coach/GM ASAP for the draft. I have a feeling that we might keep more of the staff than normal due to this delay.
Actually NBA bylaws state that there has to be a 7 waiting period after recommendation is made before a vote. I guess there have been exceptions but not this time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Actually NBA bylaws state that there has to be a 7 waiting period after recommendation is made before a vote. I guess there have been exceptions but not this time.
Do you have a link for this? I remember trying in vain to locate the NBA By-Laws and Constitution when the last CBA was being negotiated. As I recall, the CBA is public information but both the By-Laws and Constitution of the NBA are not.

Do you have a link for this? I remember trying in vain to locate the NBA By-Laws and Constitution when the last CBA was being negotiated. As I recall, the CBA is public information but both the By-Laws and Constitution of the NBA are not.
There were some tweets when the "delay" was first announced that this was the case and I got the impression that it was someone from the NBA that gave whoever tweeted it that information. There have been a lot of tweets since then, so I don't know if I will be able to find it again.

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr3h
Hearing the delay in vote may be standard procedure for NBA. 7 day delay after recommendation of committee before vote. Checking now
Tony Bizjak ‏@TonyBizjak3h
We hear those were amended for Seattle issue. RT @willmittenthal: NBA bylaws state BOG must wait 7 days after a recommendation to take vote.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There were some tweets when the "delay" was first announced that this was the case and I got the impression that it was someone from the NBA that gave whoever tweeted it that information. There have been a lot of tweets since then, so I don't know if I will be able to find it again.
Darn. I was really hoping someone had found it online somewhere. The NBA Constitution and By-Laws would really be interesting to peruse as we're waiting for the board to make its announcement.

Not necessarily. The fact it's being pushed back could easily mean that the BoG is taking a harder look at expansion, realizing they cannot afford to turn away EITHER ownership group or fan base. The only way to win is to find a way so neither group loses.
Let's hope you are correct but somehow I think the expansion can is a LONG LONG way from getting played. Hope I am wrong!

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis 13m

BREAKING: NBA received Sacramento's bid for the #NBAKings Tuesday night and will review it today with owners committees.

Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis 13m

BREAKING: NBA received Sacramento's bid for the #NBAKings Tuesday night and will review it today with owners committees.
That's good to hear. Let's hope they are not pinching pennies though (in billionaire terms) and coming up short on the bid and giving the owners something to discuss. I want this to be as open and shut as it can be.

That's good to hear. Let's hope they are not pinching pennies though (in billionaire terms) and coming up short on the bid and giving the owners something to discuss. I want this to be as open and shut as it can be.
Sorry, but if it was open and shut the team would be going to Seattle. The Sacramento group has taken 'first and goal at the one' and stuffed it back. Now they have to convert and have all the t and i's dotted. The more consideration that is given the better Sacramento's chance is. You may not want to admit it but Seattle put on hell of a offer out there and I'm hoping they get nothing more than a conciliatory prize.

I've been thinking that "8 no votes" is really problematic for the league. If there are 8 no's out there, and the committee has their fair share of them... then the committee - if going by majority - would issue a recommendation to approve the Seattle move. But then those 8 owners have to rebuff the leadership and vote no anyway... and you have a PR mess. 8 honorable men turned back the greedy advisory committee and the will of the majority of owners.

NBA must want to avoid this. I mean suppose the supercommittee of 16 owners has 5 no's. And suppose further that they know for sure they have another 3 or 4 no's among the owners.

If it is like that, then there must be quite a bit of wrestling going on among the supercommittee members. They don't want the committee to recommend the move only to have the BOG vote it down 22-8. So how does the committee reconcile a recommendation of "stay in Sac" although most of the committee members don't feel that way.

Pretty rough - a lot of big egos to contend with.

I sure hope that, even though there is no vote for 7 days, that the recommendation from the committee is leaked. But even if that recommendation is to approve the Seattle move it does not mean checkmate I don't think.

edit: I just realized the supercommittee only has 12 owners but the issue remains the same. If those 12 are 7-5 in favor of approving the Seattle deal... what do they do? Twist real hard on those 5 arms?

Last edited:
I had wondered about this earlier.

Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 11m

"Perhaps the most intriguing element in the Mariners' purchase of ... ROOT Sports is that the ballclub seems to have boxed in Chris Hansen."
Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 8m

I'm told that the Mariners aren't done fighting with Hansen. NBA is reviewing the various impacts on logistics and revenues they can have.

Sorry, but if it was open and shut the team would be going to Seattle. The Sacramento group has taken 'first and goal at the one' and stuffed it back. Now they have to convert and have all the t and i's dotted. The more consideration that is given the better Sacramento's chance is. You may not want to admit it but Seattle put on hell of a offer out there and I'm hoping they get nothing more than a conciliatory prize.
Maybe I had put it wrong, but open and shut in the favor of Sacramento. Seattle did put up a nice offer but one has to wonder about the reasoning for overpaying and if it has anything to do with shady dealings. Given the Maloofs are part of this deal I don't have many doubts that it was a bit shady.

Anyway, as long as our offer is to match then I am fine. I know it's not my money but I think we are going to have to match to win. As long as we do it's 100% in our favor.

I hope we get news of the amount of the offer in comparison to Seattle's offer today or tomorrow. Maybe Steinberg will leak something like he did with the last offer which supposedly matched cent for cent.

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
This is not good if true but I just can't imagine they would submit such an offer. Why would the Maloofs give up a sure deal for the chance to negotiate with Sac Group?

Tony Bizjak ‏@TonyBizjak 12m
Our latest story on disagreement over whether Sac offer is firm or non-binding http://sacb.ee/Z3noxn

Tony Bizjak Tony Bizjak ‏@TonyBizjak 13m
Source also sed Sac submittal is "non-binding, no deposit. Maloofs have pushed NBA to allow a vote soon on their Seattle offer

Tony Bizjak Tony Bizjak ‏@TonyBizjak 16m
Sacbee source says Sac bid calls for Maloofs tto drop their deal with Hansen without an NBA vote. Maloofs stand firm. http://sacb.ee/Z3noxn

Goodbye kings. Non-binding, 50-75M short, and calls for them to cancel bid just to start negotiations on a likely lower offer. Extremely disappointing but not surprising. Playing to win my behind.

Goodbye kings. Non-binding, 50-75M short, and calls for them to cancel bid just to start negotiations on a likely lower offer. Extremely disappointing but not surprising. Playing to win my behind.
If this is indeed the case my 100% that the Kings will stay just went down to 5% at the most. I hope it's not true.

Two thoughts on this development:

One is that this is still a lot of money, and it shouldn't be a shock if the Sac bidders want to cover their asses for some reason, including not entering a binding agreement.

The second is that this doesn't make sense, since the Maloofs have a binding agreement with Hansen and can't get out of it (I assume) unless the BOG denies the deal. Why would the Sac team require the Maloofs to get out of the Hansen deal before negotiating? The only thing I can think of is that this is what Stern/NBA is telling them to do. But I have no idea why.

50-75M short? You mean 16M?

if this is true, I think KJ is positive he has the 8 votes, he wants to call the goofs to the table and negotiate on a more realistic Sacramento number.

See, this is what I was talking about with my earlier post. I don't understand how any of you can consider this good or why KJ's team is still messing not matching and non-binding agreements. Why are they even adding more fuel to the fire with being short AND non-binding AND calling for the Maloofs to cancel the deal?

No good can come of this and KJ's team will have a lot of explaining to do if we get denied because the BOG says they couldn't get a definitive commitment out of the Sac team.