David Stern's presser and latest news, rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be aware that tonight's vote was symbolic. They did not "approve" anything. Basically, because there is nothing to approve yet. According to KJ many of the local governments in the region are also passing resolutions this week supporting every reasonable effort to keep the Kings and build a new arena, because they are important assets to the whole region.

The biggest item that will have to be voted on is again authorizing the use of parking facilities/revenues to raise up to $255 million as the city's contribution. By the way, the city has not made any final determination on whether they will sell a long term lease of certain city parking facilities to a private company or whether the city might just continue to own and operate themselves. The first option means a private company pays for the whole lease up front (say 30 years). The city would then have cash for their contribution to the deal. I'm assuming that if they'd rather keep operating the parking themselves, they might vote to issue revenue-backed bonds.to raise the city funding amount. Parking revenues would then be committed first to making the bond payments.

It will have to be voted on again, because the parties to the deal are different than one year ago. No more Maloofs. So last year's approval is not the same deal.

Actually, most see the changes on the city council as strengthening KJ's position. Hansen and Warren are seen as less antagonistic and closer to KJ in viewpoint.Of course, that remains to be seen. If a good solid deal can be had for a new arena to keep the Kings, I have faith the council will vote yes, although probably not unanimously.

What bothered me tonight about Hansens' comments at the end, was he characterized the speakers as made up of people against any public funds for an arena and people wanting an arena and the Kings at any cost. To me, that was a gross misstatement of Crown Downtown's position. Actually we want a downtown arena for basketball and all the other events we'll lose. I would be heartbroken if we lose the Kings, but I'd be even more heartbroken if Sacramento no longer has an arena venue for all the events we get at the arena.

If we lost the Kings, I'd still want a new arena downtown. The fact is, and AEG confirmed this, Sacramento can't get an arena deal that will pencil out without an anchor tenant like the Kings already on board. My city stands to lose a whole lot more than a basketball team.

However, I do not support keeping the Kings at any cost to the city. If the city can't get a deal that is soundly underwritten on conservative projections, that sufficiently ties the Kings to Sacramento for a long time and that protects the general fund, then I'm not going to be in favor of it either.
Very well said and, I think, a very accurate appraisal of where we in the City are. And I agree that the City and will take the position you describe.

Another sobering reminder is the fact that among a wide circle of acquaintances is Sacramento are a significant number of people I respect who had significant grievances with KJ before the Kings were ever an issue. Just be aware. Such things just don't go away.

No gay slurs. Knock it off.
Sorry, I was trying to keep it clean and avoid slurs without being blunt, but yah, to keep it as clean as possible it did surprise me that he used to be a season ticket holder and yes it does not surprise me that he would vote no on the arena. (PER SEINFELD: "NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT"). I can't see the the vote failing though when it comes up again. Not after all the work KJ did.

I believe we would only have the 2 or possibly 3 no votes and the yes votes are all pretty much 99.9999%'ers so like it was said above the vote would be pretty much a formality.

Sorry, I was trying to keep it clean and avoid slurs without being blunt, but yah, to keep it as clean as possible it did surprise me that he used to be a season ticket holder and yes it does not surprise me that he would vote no on the arena. (PER SEINFELD: "NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT"). I can't see the the vote failing though when it comes up again. Not after all the work KJ did.

I believe we would only have the 2 or possibly 3 no votes and the yes votes are all pretty much 99.9999%'ers so like it was said above the vote would be pretty much a formality.
seinfeldism aside, it's not even the prospect of trotting out a tired homophobic slur that was offensive, but rather the suggestion that femininity cannot coincide with sports acumen. my wife is as girly as they come, but she loves 49er football and kings basketball. she's as informed as i am on the pending sale of the team. hell, there are plenty of female members on this board who would gladly take issue with the implications of your claim...

that said, symbolic or not, it's good to see the "yay" votes outnumbering the "nays." everybody involved, from fans to politicians to the organization itself, has to be weary of this decade-long runaround. but it's no time to slack on the diligence, and symbols do mean something during 11th hour moments like these. that the city, and the surrounding region, is clearly still committed to the kings is a very positive sign...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
seinfeldism aside, it's not even the prospect of trotting out a tired homophobic slur that was offensive, but rather the suggestion that femininity cannot coincide with sports acumen. my wife is as girly as they come, but she loves 49er football and kings basketball. she's as informed as i am on the pending sale of the team. hell, there are plenty of female members on this board who would gladly take issue with the implications of your claim...

that said, symbolic or not, it's good to see the "yay" votes outnumbering the "nays." everybody involved, from fans to politicians to the organization itself, has to be weary of this decade-long runaround. but it's no time to slack on the diligence, and symbols do mean something during 11th hour moments like these. that the city, and the surrounding region, is clearly still committed to the kings is a very positive sign...
From VF21 the person: Sometimes there's just no way to respond to derogatory comments that are based on some kind of inherent bias, which is why I chose not to reply.

From VF21 the moderator: As a reminder to all, there is no room here for homophobic slurs or innuendos or anything of that ilk. I'm really surprised I actually had to say that. Let's get back to the topic at hand.

Another interesting tidbit about the seattle fans on that sonics site is their belief that this is iron clad because of the fact that the deal is signed and hansen/balmer completed the $30 mil deposit.

They believe that no one can say no to them because the great almighty hansen/balmer group would never dare risking $30 mil if this wasn't an absolute done deal. Of course, their smugness comes out when they begin pointing their fingers at how incompetent the NBA would be if they damage their future relations with Hansen/Balmer by making them lose their $30 mil.

Yea, because trying to force **** the NBA by throwing a $30 mil non-refundable deposit at the magoofs is obviously starting the relations on a good note.

You don't dictate the terms here Seattle. You're not even in the league.
Some even suggested that Hansen sue any possible Sac investors for interference when the Sac offer comes out.

Jackoffs indeed

From VF21 the person: Sometimes there's just no way to respond to derogatory comments that are based on some kind of inherent bias, which is why I chose not to reply.

From VF21 the moderator: As a reminder to all, there is no room here for homophobic slurs or innuendos or anything of that ilk. I'm really surprised I actually had to say that. Let's get back to the topic at hand.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to be harsh or anything. I just didn't think he was the type of man to like sports. It threw me for a loop when I rread that he was a former season ticket holder. From hearing his statements at the town hall meetings in regards to the Arena I would have guessed that he has never attended a Kings game in his life.

Basically he's one vote we cannot count on.

Another interesting tidbit about the seattle fans on that sonics site is their belief that this is iron clad because of the fact that the deal is signed and hansen/balmer completed the $30 mil deposit.

They believe that no one can say no to them because the great almighty hansen/balmer group would never dare risking $30 mil if this wasn't an absolute done deal. Of course, their smugness comes out when they begin pointing their fingers at how incompetent the NBA would be if they damage their future relations with Hansen/Balmer by making them lose their $30 mil.

Yea, because trying to force **** the NBA by throwing a $30 mil non-refundable deposit at the magoofs is obviously starting the relations on a good note.

You don't dictate the terms here Seattle. You're not even in the league.
Some even suggested that Hansen sue any possible Sac investors for interference when the Sac offer comes out.

Jackoffs indeed
I love to see the seattle fans get worked up over sacramento more than likely being able to keep the team, it means they feel the heat. Sure they played nice when they truely believed the kings were theirs but with all of the momentum swinging onto KJ/SACs side i think they truely sense the inviteable, hence why they are trolling so hard.

Hansan/Ballmer made a mistake by laying out all of their cards so soon, theres almost nothing to report on their side, they had their PR run early, KJ is timing this perfectly as he will begin to unveil his plan closer to the BOG making Sactown the point of discussion in the media leading into the meetings.

KJ has done a great job but what sometimes gets overlooked is how great his team has done behind the scenes.

Hansan/Ballmer made a mistake by laying out all of their cards so soon, theres almost nothing to report on their side, they had their PR run early, KJ is timing this perfectly as he will begin to unveil his plan closer to the BOG making Sactown the point of discussion in the media leading into the meetings.
I'm not sure if Hansen had any alternative except to get the deal signed and try to get it pushed through so fast, that KJ couldn't react in time. The only way to get it fast tracked would be to play all your cards up front, put $30 mil down and either scare Sac/KJ/Burkle away or impress the league so much that they approve the offer early.

I do agree that the timing is perfect for KJ now though. He owns the media because all eyes are on him. Nothing is happening on the Seattle side anymore. The closer KJ waits to the March 1 deadline, the less time Hansen/Ballmer have to counteract or lobby their case to the BOG once Sac's deal is vetted. I'm optimistic that this may not even get to a vote in April if all goes well. All sides will know earlier than April 18th what the relocation committees recommendation will be and if there are enough votes to approve a sale to Hansen.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Keep in mind the timing on this wasn't necessarily what Hansen would have wanted. Once the sale was leaked on Twitter, they had to get their ducks in a row and get a deal signed quickly with the Maloofs. I've wondered more than once if all the leaks we've heard about Maloof dirty dealings over the past couple of years aren't from someone deep inside their own group. If someone wasn't leaking bits of key information at critical times, the Kings would already be in Anaheim.

Seattle had to put their cards on the table. I have to wonder what might have happened if the sale and pending relocation wasn't announced until Feb. 28 as they waited until the very last minute to file the necessary paperwork with the NBA.

We have a guardian angel somewhere. I wonder if we'll ever find out who it is.

I love to see the seattle fans get worked up over sacramento more than likely being able to keep the team, it means they feel the heat. Sure they played nice when they truely believed the kings were theirs but with all of the momentum swinging onto KJ/SACs side i think they truely sense the inviteable, hence why they are trolling so hard.

KJ has done a great job but what sometimes gets overlooked is how great his team has done behind the scenes.
I made a point at the council meeting last night of expressing my admiration for all the incredibly hard work I know city staff has to be doing. I worked in public financing for projects and I am truly impressed with the staff and the expertise of the consultants they've called in. They have to be working incredibly long hours.

Interesting article. Texas is another no income tax state. http://www.accountingweb.com/article/tax-may-leave-california-nba-kings/221164

Last edited:
Keep in mind the timing on this wasn't necessarily what Hansen would have wanted. Once the sale was leaked on Twitter, they had to get their ducks in a row and get a deal signed quickly with the Maloofs. I've wondered more than once if all the leaks we've heard about Maloof dirty dealings over the past couple of years aren't from someone deep inside their own group. If someone wasn't leaking bits of key information at critical times, the Kings would already be in Anaheim.

Seattle had to put their cards on the table. I have to wonder what might have happened if the sale and pending relocation wasn't announced until Feb. 28 as they waited until the very last minute to file the necessary paperwork with the NBA.

We have a guardian angel somewhere. I wonder if we'll ever find out who it is.
Interesting thoughts, I had kind of always assumed the leaks were intentional to push up asking price etc. but it is quite likely with 20/20 hindsight that one of the folks close to he Brothers McGoof has acted as a whistle blower. Very interesting indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.