Hate to bring this up but worst case scenario... Warriors or Super Sonics

If Kings leave who do you support?

• Total voters
I couldn't imagine supporting Warriors or Clippers after so many years of rooting against them so hard. I think I'd stick with the Sonics, they will have part of our history.

Warriors has been my plan B lol. I really like Chris Paul but i cant get behind a team that plays in an arena thats filled with lakers fans. Warriors it is. They have a cult following somewhat similar to that of the Kings and it just so happens they have already gotten rid of their terrible owner and coach and are on the up and up.

I don't have any local connection, but I don't want the Kings to leave. If they do, I'll follow them, even if I considererĂ  the Warriors as a plan B

To add to my previous comments. Seattle only because they deserve a team after what they went through. If it were to any other city, I'd probably stay neutral, or become a fan of another team (either GS or LAC, I will never wear Lakers colors. NEVER). But if the move is to Seattle, I will stick with the team as I do honestly believe Seattle deserves an NBA team.

As a former native, neither. If they do go north and I'm hoping not, I will have to do some soul searching and won't know until after it happens if I will follow the "new" team or not.

I'm sure it is pretty safe to say that nobody here would become a Lakers fan! LOL

If I still lived in Sacramento, moved back to Chicago burbs in 07' after living there for a # of years, I would probably go to GS games. I go to Bulls games when they play the Bucks because Milwaukee isn't as much of a pita then going to a Bulls game in Chicago.

With the NBA League pass you can be a fan of any team in the country and watch every game and feel a part of the team even going to games in a nearby city many times or planning a vacation around going to a game like going to LA to cheer the Kings on when they play there.

It does suck very much if the Kings move away from Sacramento no doubt about it but you can still cheer the team on from anywhere as many fans here do that don't live anywhere close to Sacramento and depend on this awesome website to be their eyes and ears for all Kings news! :)

I couldn't imagine supporting Warriors or Clippers after so many years of rooting against them so hard. I think I'd stick with the Sonics, they will have part of our history.
Warriors and Clippers have been terrible since forever though. Why root against them so hard when they were losers every year

L

LWP777

I'd root for the Warriors. Heck, I'm already rooting for them even though the Kings have always been my #1 team. I don't really understand some of the hate the Warriors get around here. It never really seemed like a heated rivalry throughout the years. At least, it's been nothing like the Kings-Lakers rivalry.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sonics were always my number 2 team... until they got moved to parts unknown. I think I was drawn to their color scheme because it was so beautimous.

June-Shannon-600-400.jpg

I've never been a fan of either of those teams so I wouldn't start now. When and if they move I'll probably take a long and maybe permanent break from the NBA. In my mind I don't see the Seattle Sonics as being affiliated with the Sac Kings and neither will they.

there will never be a connection with any team as strong as the one I have with the Kings, so all-out rooting might not be in the cards anymore for me. that said, I do have a couple of second tier teams that I enjoy watching, namely the Hornets, Jazz, Rockets and Warriors. of these, the Hornets seem like the most natural fit. they are kind of the Sacramento story gone right, now in the hands of an ownership committed to New Orleans, they did their rebuild right, getting a stud in the draft and a pretty good one in the return package, plus some really nice pieces in Anderson and Vasquez (who's been tearing it up lately), and the city itself has a lot of appeal, imho. however, as long as they are in Sacramento, I am a Kings fan, period.

WTF, more of you would follow them as the Sonics? Do you think anyone in Seattle is a fan of OKC?

No wonder the Maloofs think they can pull this off.
See, where your comments are incorrect happen to be in the fact that you are assuming that this board only consists of individuals living in the Sacramento area.

See, where your comments are incorrect happen to be in the fact that you are assuming that this board only consists of individuals living in the Sacramento area.
What does that have to do with anything? They are no longer the Sacramento Kings. Hell, they won't even be the Kings anymore. They will be a different franchise completely.

I don't think there are a lot of old Houston Oiler fans who are now Tennessee Titan fans. The only people who will be a fan of this team, that were "Kings Fans" will be ones who were a fan of player or players(s), not the team itself.

What does that have to do with anything? They are no longer the Sacramento Kings. Hell, they won't even be the Kings anymore. They will be a different franchise completely.

I don't think there are a lot of old Houston Oiler fans who are now Tennessee Titan fans. The only people who will be a fan of this team, that were "Kings Fans" will be ones who were a fan of player or players(s), not the team itself.
Spot on! Bravo!

Being a Texans fan, moat Oilers fans are Texans fans now.

i hate bay area sports teams and LA sports teams, and im probably going to live in Seattle in the near future regardless of if our team ends up there or not. so its an easy one for me

In your original post, you asked if anyone living in Seattle still root for OKC. My point, relating your comments/question to the current situation is that a lot of people on this board are not from the Sacramento area, so they do not have ties to this area, but are fans of the Kings for other reasons, such as liking the team when Webber, Vlade, Bibby were around........

I will admit it, I am a fan of the Kings not primarily because they happen to be currently playing in an arena located about 30 minutes from where I live. I am a fan because I have liked past players on the team, and I like a few current players. I am a Dallas Cowboys not because they are from Dallas, but because I grew up liking Aikman and Smith. I am a San Francisco Giants fan not because they are from San Francisco, but because I was a Barry Bonds fan at one point.

I have said this in a previous post, and I will say it here. For those who will not be a fan of this team if they move, I will not argue with you or look down at you, because you have a legitimate reason as to why you would not root for the team. I will respect your viewpoints and your decision. Your legitimate reason for not rooting for the team if they move is just not consistent with my viewpoint about the whole situation.

Incorrect, and your smugness won't get you anywhere (your quotation of Kings fans, as if they aren't as committed or loyal). What do you propose international fans do? I'd much prefer the Kings stay in Sacramento, but if they don't, I'll likely be a Seattle fan. It won't feel the same, it will be bitter-sweet. But at least I can feel a semblance of familiarity with the team I love if I'm a fan of Seattle rather than just picking a different, random team.

It's not as black and white as you like to think. If the Kings leave, and Sacramento eventually gets another team (and I wouldn't count on it), then I'd probably come back. I suppose that shows how much I've come to feel a part of the Sacramento Kings, rather than just the franchise.

There are some pretty specific rules for being a sports fan. If the Kings move to Seattle and change their names to the Sonics. They are no longer the Kings. Sure, you can be a Sonics fan moving forward, but now you are a Sonics Fan, no longer a Kings fan. If Sacramento then gets another team, you cannot just switch back. You have aligned yourself with the Sonics and Seattle.

Sans the guy who is moving to Seattle, what would be the draw of being a Sonics fan? The only thing that will be the same is a handful of players.

You will have

Different Town
Different Name
Different Owners
Different Coach
Different Front Office
Different Players (some)

So why would you all of the sudden decide to root for that team? It's not smugness it called the unwritten rules of being a sports fan.

I'm 50/50 on not caring anymore or becoming a Warriors fan if they show all the games here.

I won't follow Seattle. It's already hard enough to care about our current players.

L

LWP777

Incorrect, and your smugness won't get you anywhere (your quotation of Kings fans, as if they aren't as committed or loyal). What do you propose international fans do? I'd much prefer the Kings stay in Sacramento, but if they don't, I'll likely be a Seattle fan. It won't feel the same, it will be bitter-sweet. But at least I can feel a semblance of familiarity with the team I love if I'm a fan of Seattle rather than just picking a different, random team.

It's not as black and white as you like to think. If the Kings leave, and Sacramento eventually gets another team (and I wouldn't count on it), then I'd probably come back. I suppose that shows how much I've come to feel a part of the Sacramento Kings, rather than just the franchise.
He wasn't being smug in any way. I think you're just incredibly sensitive.

macadocious, your thinking is just not true. IF this were to happen, i would still 100% be a fan of this team. so u cant say that NOBODY would. i love NBA basketball too much to not have a team, and im not gonna switch to the Warriors or any other Cali team. id stick right with this franchise.

and id look at the positives like the fact that NBA league pass costs less than what i spend on tickets to the games every year.

There are some pretty specific rules for being a sports fan. If the Kings move to Seattle and change their names to the Sonics. They are no longer the Kings. Sure, you can be a Sonics fan moving forward, but now you are a Sonics Fan, no longer a Kings fan. If Sacramento then gets another team, you cannot just switch back. You have aligned yourself with the Sonics and Seattle.

Sans the guy who is moving to Seattle, what would be the draw of being a Sonics fan? The only thing that will be the same is a handful of players.

You will have

Different Town
Different Name
Different Owners
Different Coach
Different Front Office
Different Players (some)

So why would you all of the sudden decide to root for that team? It's not smugness it called the unwritten rules of being a sports fan.

What is the alternative for international fans? You haven't suggested any. If they become the Sonics, I acknowledge that they're not the same franchise. But two things would put Seattle ahead of any other team from a personal standpoint: 1) They deserve a team, and are in a position that Sacramento may about to be in and 2) Same players, a sense of continuity etc..

It's not "all of a sudden" deciding to root for them. It's lack of any other more reasonable alternatives. I do not want the Kings to move and if they do, I seriously doubt I'll follow the Sonics with the same enthusiasm. You can argue that I should just not be a fan of any team, but that takes a lot of the fun out of sports.

It's not part of the unwritten rules in this situation. I'm not jumping ship because the Kings suck. It's unavoidable if they cease to exist. Although I do take back the smug comment, as this is obviously a very touchy subject for everyone here at KF.

OK, well now I will be smug, the people who follow this team as fan to Seattle are terrible sports fans because unless you live in or near Seattle there is not one reason to be a fan anymore if they move.

What is the alternative for international fans? You haven't suggested any. If they become the Sonics, I acknowledge that they're not the same franchise. But two things would put Seattle ahead of any other team from a personal standpoint: 1) They deserve a team, and are in a position that Sacramento may about to be in and 2) Same players, a sense of continuity etc..

It's not "all of a sudden" deciding to root for them. It's lack of any other more reasonable alternatives. I do not want the Kings to move and if they do, I seriously doubt I'll follow the Sonics with the same enthusiasm. You can argue that I should just not be a fan of any team, but that takes a lot of the fun out of sports.

It's not part of the unwritten rules in this situation. I'm not jumping ship because the Kings suck. It's unavoidable if they cease to exist. Although I do take back the smug comment, as this is obviously a very touchy subject for everyone here at KF.
It's sports code. Your team up and leaves, you reject them. I don't care where you live.

If they do move (and obviously I really hope they don't) and you are a Sacramento Kings fan, you wait until Sacramento gets a team again. Period.

You can still watch the NBA, but you can't be a fan of any one team. Because if you do, and Sac gets a team, you cannnot switch back.

OK, well now I will be smug, the people who follow this team as fan to Seattle are terrible sports fans because unless you live in or near Seattle there is not one reason to be a fan anymore if they move.
thats ridiculous thinking. what are we supposed to do as Die Hard NBA basketball fans? im not jumping ship to the lame *** Warriors.