Seattle rumors/comments - post them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
nba.com has been up to date with the virginia beach situation. I dont see anything about this on that site or any of the other sites that i routinely visit. A tweet from someone that seems to only tweet gossip doesnt hold much water.

People saying that they don't know how the Maloofs could pull this off without a leak or something like it - I would agree, however, doesn't this kind of sound like a perfect 'Maloof type' leak?

An agents daughter tweeting about it. That's so Maloof. I think there is something to it. I'm willing to bet it's not a done deal, but this is the first straw.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I am not panicking about this. As has been said above, the NBA has to approve all sales. That's why Larry Ellison doesn't own the Warriors right now, since he had the highest bid. With an NBA-backed arena deal still on the table in Sacramento, if the Maloofs decide to sell the NBA will certainly give local buyers an opportunity to keep the team in Sac. If the Kings do stay, I'd expect a relatively quick announcement regarding an expansion team in Seattle. No info, just a hunch.

Permanent stay or a move or a sell and move or a sell and stay, whatever is gonna happen needs to just happen. Fans have sufferee for too long.
^ This... Be done, one way or the other. If they are staying, let's get working on a new ESC. If they're gone, let's get working on getting a new team here with a committed ownership and a new ESC.

Either way, the clowns need to go. The sooner the better.

Ryan

I like turtles
I heard China bought the United States of America.

Let me check my sources....

Ah! One of the Bush twins tweeted it.

^ This... Be done, one way or the other. If they are staying, let's get working on a new ESC. If they're gone, let's get working on getting a new team here with a committed ownership and a new ESC.

Either way, the clowns need to go. The sooner the better.
If the kings get moved out of Sacramento, what makes you think the city will get another team? Clearly an expansion team is not going to happen, so who will move there?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I've read a number of times that if and when the Maloofs are open to sell, Stern and the BOG will first give local investors here a chance to bid and keep the team. They can block the sale, or at least block it long enough to give local investors a chance to keep the team here. And KJ has also said there's multiple local investors lined up waiting for when the Maloofs come around to selling.

I guess that's the hope. If local investors then don't ante up enough, then we might have a serious problem. What I can't tell is if local investors would have to outbid Hansen, or if they'd have to come up with the equivalent of the sale price from an out of town investor, minus the relocation fee and moving expenses. Reports suggest to move the Kings to Sea would cost upwards of 750M in total, but a chunk of that is due to moving expenses, relocation fees and fees regarding the new arena in Sea. If a local investor here offers 450-500M, is that enough to keep the team? Hope it is.

If the kings get moved out of Sacramento, what makes you think the city will get another team? Clearly an expansion team is not going to happen, so who will move there?
I think we were both saying that if they are going to stay then stay, if they are going to go, they need to go. Personally, unless they move within driving distance of me (Louisville, Cincy, etc...) I want them to stay. The wonderful fans in Sacramento deserve the team.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
James Ham ‏@James_Ham
My sources are confirming that the Sacramento Kings have not been sold to the Seattle group. Last night's rumor is false.

Well, it's not like we have a team anyway. It just so happens that there is a team that plays in Sacramento. It is owned by people who don't want to be here, don't have the money or interest to put a good product on the floor, owe our city a lot of money, made the city jump thru hoops to come up with an arena plan that they had no intention of agreeing to, hold our city and fans hostage under the threat of leaving and quite frankly couldn't give a damn about Sacramento or its fans.

We don't have a team. We just happen to HOST a team that is quite happy to take as much money as it can from the fans, even though they have made it very clear that they'd rather leave than stay here and will sabotage anything that would require them to commit to staying.

Just like a cheating girlfriend that takes your money but doesn't really care about you - you know it's time to move on. Some people just like to cling on to lost hope. Some know better, break their ties, and look forward to a better, happier relationship. This only happens with new ownership committed to staying in Sac. But a change has to happen - for better or worse.

Last edited:
The denials sound just right... to confirm... that this is a true story. Strong denials from people who need to deny. A coy non-denial fro Hansen himself. I'll bet a dollar that the Maloofs and Hansen have shaken hands on this deal.

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr
Regarding Kings rumors: Just got a text from Chris Hansen: "I can't comment on those things. Patience my friend."
Retweeted by Crown Downtown

Last edited:
The denials sound just right... to confirm... that this is a true story. Strong denials from people who need to deny. A coy non-denial fro Hansen himself. I'll bet a dollar that the Maloofs and Hansen have shaken hands on this deal.

Regarding Kings rumors: Just got a text from Chris Hansen: "I can't comment on those things. Patience my friend."
Ok that's not good if true.

gunks

Hall of Famer

Well, as long as nothing has been signed. We all know that a handshake deal with the Magoofs means jack ****.

Why doesnt Hansen just low ball the Maloofs so that the Maloofs are forced to sell locally, which would in turn give Seattle the green light that it needs for an expantion team, saving Hansen alot of $. Thats honestly what id do. Im not a billionaire businessman, though.

a hundred million this way or that way is budget dust to a guy like Hansen. Owning an NBA team in Seattle... for him... priceless. If I were in his shoes I'd just shrug at "overpaying" - I'm sure in the big picture it is just nothing. Of course I'm way way ahead of myself it could be BS... but - I don't have that gut feeling that this one is BS. Not this time. Because it all "adds up" - passes the sniff test, rich guy in Seattle returns the NBA to a great fan base. The tears for Sac will be drowned out by the cheers for Seattle. No way the NBA blocks it.

Agreed. This one has the ring of truth.

So I ask myself, can I still root for the franchise? Seattle is about the only place it could move for that answer to be yes. But we'll see.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
No agreement signed, but one source describes deal as "1st and goal at 1." Maloofs history of changing course late still makes many uneasy.
Expand
3m Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
The Seattle group's plans, with support of the NBA, is to play two seasons in Key Arena before moving into a new Seattle arena, sources say.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
6m Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
The deal will sell the Kings for approximately $500 million, with the Seattle group seeking relocation to Key Arena for the 2013-'14 season.
not good

Well if they move to Seattle, the Kings name more than likely stay in Sac. At least leaves open the possiblity that a team could return at some point in the future.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
The Maloofs are expected to keep an extremely small percentage of team, but will have no real input or say in franchise, sources say.
probably 1A in Hansen's contract

Status
Not open for further replies.