Tyreke's draft class contracts, do we and see or sign Reke to an extension now ?

Harden 5 years - 80 million
Curry 4 years - 44 million
Derozen 4 years -40 million
Lawson 4 years - 48 million

I think about 10 million a year for a guy like Tyreke is fair, my fear is that if Evans does explode we will be looking at 13-15 million a year completion by the end of the season.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well I believe that today is the last day they can do it, so at this point, I think its unlikely to happen now. James Johnson is in the same situation. I think the Kings are taking a wait and see appoach. If Tyreke doesn't live up to expectations, its possible he's traded before the deadline. I'm not predicting that, or even saying its likely. Just saying its possible.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Harden 5 years - 80 million
Curry 4 years - 44 million
Derozen 4 years -40 million
Lawson 4 years - 48 million

I think about 10 million a year for a guy like Tyreke is fair, my fear is that if Evans does explode we will be looking at 13-15 million a year completion by the end of the season.
Its unfortunate really that we have run out of time as everything has solidified nicely in the last month. Thing is, Reke's people may be as reluctant as we are to talk extension until the die is cast. And if Smart persists in misusing him, they may well ask for a trade so he can restore his value elsewhere.

Bricklayer

The market is truly set. Its unfortunate that most of the wiggle room with Reke is wiggle room upward if he has a big season.

If Reke puts together a season similar to the kind of game he had tonight, is he a max player?
Including not knowing how to call a timeout (still fuming at that bonehead play, that put the nail in our coffin).. Max salaries should be set aside for surefire franchise players that lead their teams to prosperity.. although I am shocked at some of the extensions I have seen, including Hardens

Including not knowing how to call a timeout (still fuming at that bonehead play, that put the nail in our coffin).. Max salaries should be set aside for surefire franchise players that lead their teams to prosperity.. although I am shocked at some of the extensions I have seen, including Hardens
I agree that there is only a small handful of true max players in the league. However, its market that sets the price and Tyreke very likely will get a max deal from someone when its all said and done. Unfortunately, I think we stuffed up by not extending him because the only way in terms if price for us is up. We had an opportunity to lock Tyreke in on a deal that could prove to be bargain for years. Unfortunately, its going to cost us more when he becomes RFA.

Taj Gibson after the game last night agree to a 4 year $38M deal with the Bulls. Glad to have him part of the core and gives the Bulls leverage to amnisty Booz if need be.

Tyreke should be getting 4yr @ $48M at least! He can play 3 positions and has similarities to DRose and Lebron being that he is nearly unguardable and has that "Matrix blur gear"!!!

With Harden getting $16M avg/year, Tyreke at $12M avg/year is cheap!

Would be nice to lock in Thornton if he isn't already as a 6th man off the bench or even a IT or Brooks / Thornton / Evans trio as starters.

Tyreke and Cousins should be the true untouchables and the face of the Kings organization!

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Reke is worth more than MT's 8M per.

He's worth more than DeRozans 10M per.

He's probably worth more than Curry's 11M per, especially since Curry got that with lingering ankle issues and he still hasn't shown he can get past those problems, or is past them.

So you're probably looking at a Lawson type deal, minimum, at about 12M per. If he plays like he did last night for most of the season, he's worth more than that. Then you have to worry about teams like Dallas and Atlanta who will have a lot of cap space and might try to make an offer the Maloofs would be nervous with.

Not extending Reke could be either a good thing or a bad thing, time will tell. But I doubt we save money. I don't think we sign him for less than the Curry extension at 4/44, and we might have been able to if the FO had been more positive about Reke and more open to discussing an extension. There's a possibility Reke doesn't even want to resign here, and used the lack of extension talk to motivate him all summer to basically tryout for other teams. He wouldn't be the first player to do that. It's also possible he decline any and all extensions/offers and only signs the QO, which lets him leave the following summer. We just don't know how Reke's camp views the pretty public stance of "we're not willing to talk an extension with Reke" from our FO. It's an assumption that he's fine with that stance and will happily sign one next July. We just don't know. If his jumper proves to be more consistent all year, it might give Reke the confidence to just sign the QO and test the market the following summer as an UFA.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately I think the real answer is that the team waits until the season is over and watches him sign elsewhere. Whether that will be because (1) the Maloofs can't or don't want to spend the money (2) Tyreke and his camp want him in a better role or more high profile position or both I don't know.

Unfortunately I think the real answer is that the team waits until the season is over and watches him sign elsewhere. Whether that will be because (1) the Maloofs can't or don't want to spend the money (2) Tyreke and his camp want him in a better role or more high profile position or both I don't know.
Tyreke is still restricted. If we don't have things worked out with him, we can still match any offer he gets next year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Reke is worth more than MT's 8M per.

He's worth more than DeRozans 10M per.

He's probably worth more than Curry's 11M per, especially since Curry got that with lingering ankle issues and he still hasn't shown he can get past those problems, or is past them.

So you're probably looking at a Lawson type deal, minimum, at about 12M per. If he plays like he did last night for most of the season, he's worth more than that. Then you have to worry about teams like Dallas and Atlanta who will have a lot of cap space and might try to make an offer the Maloofs would be nervous with.

Not extending Reke could be either a good thing or a bad thing, time will tell. But I doubt we save money. I don't think we sign him for less than the Curry extension at 4/44, and we might have been able to if the FO had been more positive about Reke and more open to discussing an extension. There's a possibility Reke doesn't even want to resign here, and used the lack of extension talk to motivate him all summer to basically tryout for other teams. He wouldn't be the first player to do that. It's also possible he decline any and all extensions/offers and only signs the QO, which lets him leave the following summer. We just don't know how Reke's camp views the pretty public stance of "we're not willing to talk an extension with Reke" from our FO. It's an assumption that he's fine with that stance and will happily sign one next July. We just don't know. If his jumper proves to be more consistent all year, it might give Reke the confidence to just sign the QO and test the market the following summer as an UFA.
I have to assume that Tyreke's agent has had conversations with Petrie about an extension. I'd be curious how much money his agent suggested would get Tyreke's signature on the dotted line. On one hand, I can understand the Kings point of view. I'm sure they argued that the current Tyreke isn't worth a max contract, so lets just wait and see, and if he performs well, then we'll offer what we think is appropiate. Could be that the Kings offered Tyreke a contract similiar to Thorntons, and he turned it down, and if so, I can't blame him.

I agree with you that this could end up being a good thing or a bad thing. Could be, Tyreke asked for 12 mil, and was turned down. If he plays every night like last night, he'll likely get someone to offer him 14 or 15 mil a year. Or, last night might end up being an abberation. And they might end up getting Tyreke for 10 mil a year. My gut tells me that last night is going to be closer to the norm. Tyreke was absolutely outstanding on both ends of the floor last night, and offensively, he was playing against the best defensive team in the NBA. He made good decisions. He was patient on offense, and he drove Hamilton, and at times Deng nuts with his defense. His only flaw was his poor decision inbounding the ball. But I'd hardly blame him for the loss. They wouldn't have even been in the game if he hadn't been on the floor.

I'd resign him for cheaper than all of the above mentioned players, sure. One game to start the season and you want to sign him to big money? A game in which his boxscore looked good, but his boneheaded plays down the stretch cost the team? No, i'd wait.

Bricklayer

I'd resign him for cheaper than all of the above mentioned players, sure. One game to start the season and you want to sign him to big money? A game in which his boxscore looked good, but his boneheaded plays down the stretch cost the team? No, i'd wait.

Two posts into your posting career and I'm not encouraged.