[Game] Warriors @ Kings

Smart complain about lack of defense, then leaves guys out there who don't play any. SMH.
I was thinking about this earlier in the game when we were getting smoked.

There is not one real defender in our starting unit. And we lack ball movement in our offense. Why not kill two birds with one stone? ... or two stones.

I just think its time we played our best defender .. our biggest FA move. I think it's time to see Hayes next to Cousins. And I like JT. He's playing well, but maybe he's better served as a reserve off the bench. Hayes is a more than willing passer and he would have been able to slow down Lee more than Cuz or Thompson. All training camp everyone was talking about how much Hayes improves the defense because of how vocal he is. Calling out screens and whatnot. His best talent, which is defense, is being totally wasted when he's coming in off the bench.

His defense is wasted guarding guys like Jeremy Tyler or whatever backup bigs he'll see tonight. If we are going to use him like this he is a total waste of money.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I remember, during the Mavs game, someone made the comment about how weird it was for Garcia to be as good a help side shot blocker as he is, for a guard. I'm sitting here thinking something similar, about how strange it is that Evans appears to be a good low post defender. He's arguably better at that than on the perimeter.
He's our best defender. Makes benching him at the end even more ridiculous, especially when afterwards coach complains about the lack of defense.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I was thinking about this earlier in the game when we were getting smoked.

There is not one real defender in our starting unit. And we lack ball movement in our offense. Why not kill two birds with one stone? ... or two stones.

I just think its time we played our best defender .. our biggest FA move. I think it's time to see Hayes next to Cousins. And I like JT. He's playing well, but maybe he's better served as a reserve off the bench. Hayes is a more than willing passer and he would have been able to slow down Lee more than Cuz or Thompson. All training camp everyone was talking about how much Hayes improves the defense because of how vocal he is. Calling out screens and whatnot. His best talent, which is defense, is being totally wasted when he's coming in off the bench.

His defense is wasted guarding guys like Jeremy Tyler or whatever backup bigs he'll see tonight. If we are going to use him like this he is a total waste of money.
I agree with that, and it's part of the reason I stand by my statement that Smart doesn't coach that end.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Love how GSW announcers are trying to rationalize the trade.
Don't Grant and Jerry try to rationalize every poor trade we make? Example number one is Salmons. Remember Napear telling everyone getting Outlaw was a good move and makes us better. Remember both saying Hayes should help turn around our defense.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm still astonished that Milwaukee thought that they were better off with Drew F. Gooden, than they were with Andrew Bogut. I guess they figure, it doesn't matter how good he is if he can't get on the court (the Oden principle).

From a pure talent perspective, a Bogut-Ellis swap makes sense. Bogut is a a legit defensive center who can be a 15-10 guy on fantastic efficiency. The problem is trading your best trade chip (Ellis) for a a guy who's been injured his entire career+ giving up a young big Udoh+ givign up a $7 million expiring

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm still astonished that Milwaukee thought that they were better off with Drew F. Gooden, than they were with Andrew Bogut. I guess they figure, it doesn't matter how good he is if he can't get on the court (the Oden principle).
Pretty sure they figured they were better of wiht a youn 20pt scoring guard and PF prospect :)

It's not really as much that they are rationalizing it but how they're doing it.
What are they saying? To be honest I think it's a good deal for them. They keep their pick because they're basically tanking(they traded it but it had top 7 protection), they get a good Center for next year, and Ellis was planning to leave after next year anyway. Next year their line up could be Curry/Thompson/MKG or Barnes/Lee/Bogut, and I think they'll have some cap space or something to try to sign a guy. Guards like Ellis are a dime a dozen, you can find a combo guard or undersized scoring guard pretty easily.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
What are they saying? To be honest I think it's a good deal for them. They keep their pick because they're basically tanking(they traded it but it had top 7 protection), they get a good Center for next year, and Ellis was planning to leave after next year anyway. Next year their line up could be Curry/Thompson/MKG or Barnes/Lee/Bogut, and I think they'll have some cap space or something to try to sign a guy. Guards like Ellis are a dime a dozen, you can find a combo guard or undersized scoring guard pretty easily.

Don't think they're tanking. Their owner wants to win, period.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
se, this is what you can't have with Jimmer -- you just can't have people just running down the court and automatically trying to isolate him and attack him every time down or it just makes him unplayable. He doesn't have to be a great defender or even a good one. But he can't be a target.