Kings talking Tyreke trade???

Entity

Hall of Famer
I agree with most of this. Thing is, I have no problem with IT starting. I like what he's doing. My problem is that if you're moving IT into the starting 5 then you have to finish that change by moving MT to the 6th man, and have Donte/Salmons play SF. Otherwise, you went half way, which doesn't help the team overall. Just solved one problem, but created a few others.
I didn't think of that. I also agree with you Thornton to the bench would be another alternative.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Yet Smart has refused to play the most logical lineups we have. Not even once. I don't think that lineup has ever been on the court together. We have one guy on the team who is a legitimate 3 size and skill wise and that is Greene. By far our weakest position is the 3. We routinely get destroyed because we are undersized at the 3. How does it not make sense to a least try this lineup for 5 games?
Perhaps because he is too tall for small ball.

Maloof comments always make me nervous as they do not have a clue about basketball! If Smart is the coach going forward then this team is perennial laughing stock of the NBA! Reke to SF...Smart as coach...rumours of trading Reke...no wonder we are perrenial losers!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Maloof comments always make me nervous as they do not have a clue about basketball! If Smart is the coach going forward then this team is perennial laughing stock of the NBA! Reke to SF...Smart as coach...rumours of trading Reke...no wonder we are perrenial losers!
The Maloofs have the emotional maturity of children, always fascinated by whatever the latest enthusaism or shiny new bauble is. If you love them, you love them kind of like clueless pets. Right up until they pee on your favorite chair.

the solution is move thornton to the bench, imagine subbing in Thornton and hopefully a much improved Jimmer who can just spark the team with scoring.

Find a sf that plays good defense and is a knockdown shooter, Isiah is a good 3pt shooter already and will keep improving.
pg: Isiah
sg:Tyreke
sf: ?
pf: JT
C: Cousins

heck we could even start experimenting with this now by starting Garcia

2nd unit
pg: Jimmer
sg: Thornton
sf: salmons
pf: hickson
c: hayes

much better 2nd unit, at least with the cards we have now

NO NO NO NO NOOOOO!!!! In what world do you trade the rookie of the year? Tyreke is young and a stud. I dont understand why people want to trade him. Last year he was hurt most of the year and this year he had no camp and and wasnt able to work with the rest of the team on top of the fact he's on his 3rd coach in 3 years. Cmon...give me a break.

well the link was lame.. .but just noticed that jones tweet... wow... as much as i love Evans when he's got it going...

i still don't see him settling in at the SF spot for good... which brings us back to the problem that he's a probably better fit as a SG that can't shoot? but with all the small guards we already have, Thornton, Thomas, Jimmer he's just out of place on this team. the only other option is bringing Thornton off the bench. But then again that weakens our starting line up and we don't have a true SF that can start.

Im in favor of a Rondo swap, or a Evans for an Equal level talent SF... i think both these moves help to eliminate the confusion of what position is Evans gonna play today? from this teams thinking.
I dont see him as a sf either except for in a pinch. I see him as a Doug Christie slasher/defender type who can pass the ball and make free throws. He just needs the right players around him. Aside from Tyreke and Cousins they should be shopping anybody else on this team

the solution is move thornton to the bench, imagine subbing in Thornton and hopefully a much improved Jimmer who can just spark the team with scoring.

Find a sf that plays good defense and is a knockdown shooter, Isiah is a good 3pt shooter already and will keep improving.
pg: Isiah
sg:Tyreke
sf: ?
pf: JT
C: Cousins

heck we could even start experimenting with this now by starting Garcia

2nd unit
pg: Jimmer
sg: Thornton
sf: salmons
pf: hickson
c: hayes

much better 2nd unit, at least with the cards we have now
This is EXACTLY what I think the team should do. Except at this point in our season, I'd start Greene or Honeycutt. It just seems so simple, really. I feel bad for Reke...he has been one of the most poorly-utilized players in the entire league for the past 2 years and at this point with the SF project - he may be THE MOST poorly-utilized player in the entire NBA.

You don't trade him, you place him in a position to succeed, which I believe is the SG position. Isn't it easier to move Thornton to the bench instead of trading Reke??

This is EXACTLY what I think the team should do. Except at this point in our season, I'd start Greene or Honeycutt. It just seems so simple, really. I feel bad for Reke...he has been one of the most poorly-utilized players in the entire league for the past 2 years and at this point with the SF project - he may be THE MOST poorly-utilized player in the entire NBA.

You don't trade him, you place him in a position to succeed, which I believe is the SG position. Isn't it easier to move Thornton to the bench instead of trading Reke??
Greene is in the doghouse every other week, Honeycutt hasn't even played an NBA minute, or at least a meaningful one, Garcia is a vet, plays good man and team D, and has been shooting the 3 better lately. A guy isn't gonna go from the doghouse/ rookie who has never played to starter.

Greene is in the doghouse every other week, Honeycutt hasn't even played an NBA minute, or at least a meaningful one, Garcia is a vet, plays good man and team D, and has been shooting the 3 better lately. A guy isn't gonna go from the doghouse/ rookie who has never played to starter.
I agree with you. However, in a season where this team lacks a decent SF and were rebuilding - there is no reason whatsoever that 2 young SFs with great potential are seeing next to no PT every single game.

If these 2 GET consistent minutes, they could be good enough to start. But that's the problem, we have no idea if they can because they don't play.

The Maloofs have the emotional maturity of children, always fascinated by whatever the latest enthusaism or shiny new bauble is. If you love them, you love them kind of like clueless pets. Right up until they pee on your favorite chair.
Certainly don't love them! They are not prepared to spend to get a good product on the floor. Furthermore, they are so trigger happy that they can blow up our entire future before we could blink.

They promised to spend this off-season and they got us a bunch of duds and wasted a fair chunk of the capspace in the process. They looked at that Dallas championship team and figured out that you need shooting to win.

They are frustrating the living daylights out of me. They have a chance to build a real good team with the core that they have now but they will have to be prepared to spend to win. They also need to hire a coach that knows how to win and not someone who has a fettish for midget ball and whacky substitutions and who has been a bridesmaid at 3 different teams now.

gunks

Hall of Famer
We shouldnt trade any youth until we see how much growth they show under a REAL coach.

At first I liked Smart (because he isnt Westphal, who honestly might have been the worst coach of the entire franchise history. Dude was THAT bad in EVERY way.)...But now he's looking lame-duckier every game.

Reke was showing some improvement (plus horrible growing pains) as he adjusted to a new role. Now all of a sudden he's being forced to play SF and is stinking...Big surprise.

Unless we can trade Reke for Anthony Davis come draft day, no thanks to all offers.

As far as starting Greene....The dude doesnt get minutes mostly because he stinks, but also because coach S(mallball)mart thinks hes a PF. Reke needs to get moved back to a guard position last week. Dont care who starts at the 3, and yes...Thornton to the bench as super sub would be awesome. I still dont think he's a good fit with Reke.

Last edited:
Hey don't say that about urinating pets, Rascal was a good cat!:D

You have to consider trading Reke if in return you'll get a good, youngish player that will improve the team. What if Reke is signed and he doesn't improve and at best he doesn't get any worse? I think you still lose out: team-wise and monetarily. Difficult decisions to make.

I think what's more important for the FO than possibly thinking of trading Reke is asking themselves if Smart is the coach for the team for years to come. If you have a mediocre coach it won't matter who comes to town (if they do come into town) because the team will not learn enough to win. The biggest problem the team has is failing to play acceptable defense. Smart is not a defensive minded coach. The Kings have shooters but they don't play D. IMO this is all on the coach and his style.

If you were the Charlotte Bobcats, what would you have to give up to land Tyreke? If they offered Petrie the No.1 overall in 2012 plus Bismack would that get it done? What about No.1 overall in 2012 plus No.1 overall in 2013 ? I'm not sure what the Bobcats salary cap scenario is, in terms of getting two No.1 picks.

I'm not saying that the Kings should do such a trade, I'm just wondering what would be considered realistic. Charlotte's No.1 pick in 2012 is very interesting, because even though we don't know how the ping-pong balls are going to work out, I think it would be a huge longshot for it to not be a top 5 pick, and the 2013 pick is still very likely at worst a late lottery pick.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If you were the Charlotte Bobcats, what would you have to give up to land Tyreke? If they offered Petrie the No.1 overall in 2012 plus Bismack would that get it done? What about No.1 overall in 2012 plus No.1 overall in 2013 ? I'm not sure what the Bobcats salary cap scenario is, in terms of getting two No.1 picks.

I'm not saying that the Kings should do such a trade, I'm just wondering what would be considered realistic. Charlotte's No.1 pick in 2012 is very interesting, because even though we don't know how the ping-pong balls are going to work out, I think it would be a huge longshot for it to not be a top 5 pick, and the 2013 pick is still very likely at worst a late lottery pick.
You do NOT trade a Tyreke Evans for anything but a sure thing. EVER. You want to trade him for the #1 overall pick on draft day, then you know what you are getting and you can try to figure out if it moves you forward. But you do NOT trade a guy as good as Evans, as young as Evans, and with the potential of Evans, for a pick. A pick that could end up being Wesley Johnson, or Haseem Thabeet, or Robert Tractor Tralor or just 1000 degrees of worthless. You could set the franchise back for years. And worse yet, since free agents don't sign for the Kings, set it back PERMANENTLY.

A young star level player is your only play. And you better be sure.

You do NOT trade a Tyreke Evans for anything but a sure thing. EVER. You want to trade him for the #1 overall pick on draft day, then you know what you are getting and you can try to figure out if it moves you forward. But you do NOT trade a guy as good as Evans, as young as Evans, and with the potential of Evans, for a pick. A pick that could end up being Wesley Johnson, or Haseem Thabeet, or Robert Tractor Tralor or just 1000 degrees of worthless. You could set the franchise back for years. And worse yet, since free agents don't sign for the Kings, set it back PERMANENTLY.

A young star level player is your only play. And you better be sure.

This.

Yep. If anything we should be looking into why he hasnt been as effective in the past few games - the lineup shuffle. Moving Thornton to 6th man makes sense. GP needs to make that happen.

Its about who finishes games and hes our guy clearly. If he goes with that tact in selling it to marcus we'll be fine. It really is our best way to settle down and make big strides forward

grandma

I'm a 69 year old grandma that loves the Kings.I don't know much about which player they keep and which player they let go and why, All I can see is the Kings will never be more than what they are as long as the Magoof's own the team.

Evans can still drive like a mad man. He can play defense and rebound, especially when he feels like it. He is still TO prone, and an average passer. If he can learn to shoot, from say 15-18 feet he becomes a serious offensive threat. The one thing I learned from my high school coach it was patience. Just look at all the former Kings who have gone on to have solid careers somewhere else. The Kings need to show some patience.

Yep. If anything we should be looking into why he hasnt been as effective in the past few games - the lineup shuffle. Moving Thornton to 6th man makes sense. GP needs to make that happen.

Its about who finishes games and hes our guy clearly. If he goes with that tact in selling it to marcus we'll be fine. It really is our best way to settle down and make big strides forward
Totally agree with the bolded.

As for trading Tyreke, doubt it'll happen. He's got too much upside for the Kings to give up on and not enough polish for another team to covet. Just not the type of player that typically gets traded.

This would be a move we would regret big time.

This is a year to grow together, not to make a bunch of moves that disrupts the chemistry. Build around Thomas, Reke, Thorton and Cousins. Spend some money in the off season. Draft a solid 3 or a 4 and let these guys develop. Tyreke has an insane amount of talent and is just finding himself.

Last month I would consider. We had nothing to lose and it seemed like the last season of the Sacramento Kings. Our biggest hurdle was just overcome. We're keeping our team! Now lets show some patients and see what these guys can become under a solid coaching staff and a revitalized fan base.

I'm not worried about these kids at all.

Evans can still drive like a mad man. He can play defense and rebound, especially when he feels like it. He is still TO prone, and an average passer. If he can learn to shoot, from say 15-18 feet he becomes a serious offensive threat. The one thing I learned from my high school coach it was patience. Just look at all the former Kings who have gone on to have solid careers somewhere else. The Kings need to show some patience.

your right, i googled tyreke and driving and it came up w 130mph

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2010/07/video-tyreke-evans-reckless-driving-130-mph/

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
This would be a move we would regret big time.

This is a year to grow together, not to make a bunch of moves that disrupts the chemistry. Build around Thomas, Reke, Thorton and Cousins. Spend some money in the off season. Draft a solid 3 or a 4 and let these guys develop. Tyreke has an insane amount of talent and is just finding himself.

Last month I would consider. We had nothing to lose and it seemed like the last season of the Sacramento Kings. Our biggest hurdle was just overcome. We're keeping our team! Now lets show some patients and see what these guys can become under a solid coaching staff and a revitalized fan base.

I'm not worried about these kids at all.
Again, I want to second the fact that these are kids. Kids who have shown a ton in less than half a year of real coaching (recent issues aside). Kids who haven't had real coaching because they've been able to out-talent the opposition at all levels prior to getting here. Why are people saying Rondo's best years are still ahead of him at age 26, but are ready to throw in the towel on a 22 year old Evans?
We'll get there, and we'll know a ton about all of these guys after a summer and a real preseason together. I don't see anything major happening other than a new SF and a pick in the draft, which may end up being the same person.