Kings talking Tyreke trade???

I stand by what I said a few months ago- Reke isn't my favorite, and I think we are almost playing him too much at this stage in his career. He seems the kind of guy that needs to watch a little bit of the game and be mentored by a true vet- something he hasn't had, save for Beno, really. And then, there was drafting him in the first place. Imagine the hype in SAC if we had Rubio, Cousins, and Kawhi or another similar type of player.

All that said, I still think it is a massive mistake to trade him now. Yes, he's young, a little bit sloppy in decision-making, and a bit too much of a "burst" scorer for a starting lineup right now, but he's still immensely talented and I refuse to give up on him until we have given him an extended audition (I'm talking 40-60 games) as a starting SG. I think we're totally backwards at the minute with Thornton in our starting lineup, and need a true PG (no offense Isaiah) and SF to see what we have.

Just one man's opinion, but I would be shopping Thornton and JJ in a package deal for a team looking to dump a bigger contract or get younger. Definitely not Tyreke, unless you got a truly incredible player out of it...which, IMO, won't happen.

a bonafide star with some years remaining, you'd have to listen, but I'd hate to give up Evans for some mid level "talent."

be pretty sad to see him go, really sad. I don't think we will trade him, but hey, thats basketball i guess.

a bonafide star with some years remaining, you'd have to listen, but I'd hate to give up Evans for some mid level "talent."

be pretty sad to see him go, really sad. I don't think we will trade him, but hey, thats basketball i guess.
And again, I don't see who this could be. From my view, there are really only about 5-6 teams that would both WANT pieces from the Kings and could offer something interesting back. Those teams: ATL, BOS, NOH, LAL, DEN, TOR, for right now.

Why? ATL needs bigs desperately with the injuries to Collins and Horford, even despite signing an aging relic in Dampier. Kings can offer Hickson or JT, with Reke or another piece (Garcia?) to get an expiring in Hinrich and PF Josh Smith. This would cut some salary for ATL heading into the offseason and allow them to make a run at a veteran big man. Also, it cements a piece in their backcourt with Jeff Teague and Johnson. Unless, of course, it's Johnson that they move. Can't see the Kings having much interest though.

BOS does this deal for obvious reasons, cutting payroll and getting younger, while adding a skilled developing piece that can play now rather than a draft pick. Most likely, Kings would get Rondo or Allen back. Again, I am not sure this is dramatic improvement for us, save for the defensive ability and playmaking. Although I would argue Reke could grow into that.

NOH, TOR, and LAL all really fit into the same mold- they make this move to make another move. Whether we would get Calderon, Okafor, or Gasol is irrelevant; it really means the teams are dumping salary for another piece they want in a larger deal. That's my estimation, at least. And I would think it could be Howard that goes the other way, to LAL. We'll see.

DEN could be most interesting. They are in a bit of a swan dive at the minute and could love to get their hands on a young swing player like Reke or even Jimmer. Also, they could be looking to move salary (Miller? Andersen?) to re-sign Chandler when the time comes. Kings could bite, getting a veteran PG and a blocking C to put with DeMarcus. We would still have to aggressively hunt a SF, but we could amnesty Salmons and sign an FA or draft player to round off the starting 5.

All said, I'd rather keep Evans.

Last edited:
One more name .. if we can get Josh Smith extended, I would think about it. There is your long defensive shot blocker next to Cousins.

Not sure if he is totally worth Evans. I wouldn't even think about it if he wasn't extended though .. Hickson and Jimmer? :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
What if I told you there may or may not be an All-Star point guard available, who is only 26 years old, who is an NBA champion, who has an extremely fair contract, who can lead your team from the point guard position on both offense and defense ..

I'm half kidding. I know how you feel about Rondo. I'd still pursue him though.
How do I feel about Rondo exactly?

I didn't actively trawl this thread, is there actually any weight behind this rumour? on a scale of Cab driver told your cousins daughter to Sam Amick Tweet.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I didn't actively trawl this thread, is there actually any weight behind this rumour? on a scale of Cab driver told your cousins daughter to Sam Amick Tweet.
Jason Jones said that the Kings would trade Reke is they got something awesome in return... which definitely means they aren't trading him because Jason Jones is kind of bad at his job

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There's a single tweet from Jaosn Jones, who is the Kings beat writer. Its in "what I keep hearing" form rather than anything specific.

Between the Jason Jones tweet and the "Reke as a PG experiment is over" comment from Joe Maloof, this rumor being true does not seem as ridiculous as it would have seemed 2 days ago.

Neither did Dwyane Wade. His 3pt% yo-yos quite a bit as well. I'm not saying Evans IS Wade, but I think there's a lot of similarity (and potential similarity) to their games, especially at this stage of the game. Wade is now a much more reliable shooter, but I see Evans capable of filling every box in the stat sheet. Even with as much grief as we give Evans, his per year TO ratio is better than that of Wade's at a similar point in time, and his assist's aren't that far off.

It only takes a moment in time to turn on a light switch.
Wade's not a PG though he's a shooting guard, and he's a lot more athletic than Tyreke. Again not saying to trade him just not saying that's a real accurate comparison.

Between the Jason Jones tweet and the "Reke as a PG experiment is over" comment from Joe Maloof, this rumor being true does not seem as ridiculous as it would have seemed 2 days ago.
link to Joe's comment? Kind of seems like Tyreke is becomin a bit of a whipping boy here. I've thought he was a SG for a long time though.

Woj was just tweeting that Josh Smith is actively looking to be traded.

seems they will be listening to offers.
If we are serious about keeping Smart that would kind of make sense since he would be good on a running team and KS wants this team to be uptempo. But I'm not sure I like how JSmith would fit at the 3 for us, not sure I'd trade Reke for him to be honest.

I don't think this confirms anything other than that Tyreke is no longer untouchable. That doesn't mean they are shopping him, but that teams can ask about him.

Well it wouldn't be "the worst" if we bring a star back in the other direction. This is a stars league, you rarely win without one.

The gamble is do you believe Tyreke could still be an elite star in this league or not, thats for management to decide.

i'd be very very unhappy to see him go to bring in say 2 mid level players, or anything that doesn't involve a star. And anyway the chances of that are so so so so slim it's almost not worth talking about.

origkds

What- Me Worry?
Players like Cousins, Evans, and Thornton are not easy to come by. I would exhaust every trade possibility with everyone else before we ever consider trading away someone as talented as Evans. Young team, coaching carousel, injuries, condensed season with no practice time, etc. It’s been said over and over but once again, let’s not lose sight of the fact that we are a team that is rebuilding from scratch- patients everyone.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Wade's not a PG though he's a shooting guard, and he's a lot more athletic than Tyreke. Again not saying to trade him just not saying that's a real accurate comparison.
I realize it isn't a perfect comparison, but it's arguably the closest I could come up with. Tyreke though is powerful and very athletic, just not an above the rim player.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
So who would you trade Tyreke for?

An All-Star player? That won't happen.

A solid vet a step below an All-Star player? So there you sacrifice the unrealized potential of Tyreke to a less risky "known". I doubt that will happen also. I just don't think Petrie has 99% certainty that Tyreke won't reach All-Star status, and he doesn't want to have the legacy of trading someone who became an All Star for a solid, but not star-quality player.

For a high pick? Maybe. You'd have to know how high the pick was before you did such a trade. You wouldn't trade Tyreke for a lot of ping pong balls. If there is a trade brewing now, it's doubtful it's for picks because you just don't know the particular slot in the draft.

My best guess (if you wanted to trade him) - you trade him for another young player with very high potential who has yet to realize that potential for whatever reason. Just like Tyreke. Or, maybe it's a young star quality player with warts of a different kind. It sure would be ironic if they traded Tyreke for a 3 that fit that bill.