Kings talking Tyreke trade???

Wouldnt like it. I think Reke's being used incorrectly. All in all, he's still one of the best slashers/finishers in the game right now. I wouldn't give up on him yet.
This is true, but it's a two way street. He's still got a broken jump shot 2 1/2 years into the league, no real position, and a low basketball IQ.

Everybody here is saying "Don't trade him. We're selling really low because he's going to grow out of his problems." If he doesn't start play smart and fix that jump shot, his value is lower a year from now, and much lower two years from now.

I'd only trade him for a handful of players in the league. But if somebody wants to sign up for the "I'm all in on Tyreke Evans" trade, and the Kings get a second guy with a good contract that fits, sold.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This could be a huge mistake. Until there's something concrete there isn't much else to say. Smart has completed screwed with Reke since taking over. We trade him, my gut tells me he gets a mid range game within 2-3 years, blows up, and murders us in every future matchup, while we are stuck looking for a key number two guy to go with Cousins for years to come.

Just because Smart decided using Reke as an undersized SF in a small ball lineup is the way to go, doesn't mean another coach will make the same mistakes.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I wonder how much of that had to do with Westphal? The team atmosphere was pretty toxic to start the year, in comparison to how it is now.
Name a free agent of note that we have signed since we got Vlade. I'll spot you Hayes as one of them.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Agreed. The reality is there probably isn't another team that would try to play him at sf.
If Smart not using Reke correctly leads to Reke being shipped out, I will be shocked at the overall incompetence of this organization.

Not sure if we should talk about the negatives though. Maybe just ignore them until after our organization makes another phenomenal error in judgement.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Why search when there are those who will do it for you? ;)

Seriously though, I didn't really worry too much about the dates. It seemed like too much of a conspiracy theory to make actual sense...

...or did it?
A conspiracy theory???? What on earth does that mena.

Here's one link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/01/07/jerry.sloan/index.html

I'll find more. Depends on if you find Sam Amick now with Sports Illustrated credible.

Edit: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...eems-interested-coaching-again-003409725.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...-coach-again-jerry-not-so-much?urn=nba,wp8550

Sorry, can't find the article where his new wife says she would like to live in Sacramento. I didn't make it up. Sloan is a farm boy. He now is in Utah instead of on his farm in Illinois and according to his wife, is bored. Sacramento seems more in line where he might want to live than bigger cities.

Last edited:
I have no problem trading Tyreke Evans ... obviously assuming we get the right value back.

There are so many variables when it comes to a guy like Evans when your talking about value around the league. As an big point guard, he could potentially be extremely valuable, but as an undersized SF who cannot shoot ... his value plummets.

Truth be told, his value around the league has declined since his rookie year. He took a minor shot last season where everyone chalked his struggling up to the foot injury, and coming into this year has looked pretty good early on .. but has once again fallen off since IT has become the starter (and a few games before that, which led to the IT promotion .. along with sucky Salmons).

So the question is, do we trade Tyreke while his value isn't as high as it could be? under this scenario you are banking on Tyreke increasing his value. The problem is ... what if he continues to decline? or a more likely example is that he doesn't improve - and he just gets older and his contract gets bigger, thus declining his value by default.

So my answer again is yes, I'd look at offers for him. It would take a lot for me to actually trade him, and the only available name (unless your listening to Doc Rivers) that I would trade him for is Rajon Rondo ... but I know there are not a lot of people around here in the Rondo camp.

I would probably trade Tyreke if a reasonable offer came about. A guy who makes his living off of driving to the basket on bad ankles might not be effective very long. Plus he doesn't have a jump shot to fall back on.

This is true, but it's a two way street. He's still got a broken jump shot 2 1/2 years into the league, no real position, and a low basketball IQ.

Everybody here is saying "Don't trade him. We're selling really low because he's going to grow out of his problems." If he doesn't start play smart and fix that jump shot, his value is lower a year from now, and much lower two years from now.

I'd only trade him for a handful of players in the league. But if somebody wants to sign up for the "I'm all in on Tyreke Evans" trade, and the Kings get a second guy with a good contract that fits, sold.
I think him being a PG has a lot of to do with the lack of jumpshot. It's simply never been the top priority. IF he was a 2guard by the way, then we would probably see a lot more improvement in the shot, and in other areas. The BBIQ thing is exemplified as well when he plays the 1, because the tasks a PG performs correlates to BBIQ.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I would probably trade Tyreke if a reasonable offer came about. A guy who makes his living off of driving to the basket on bad ankles might not be effective very long. Plus he doesn't have a jump shot to fall back on.
Neither did Dwyane Wade. His 3pt% yo-yos quite a bit as well. I'm not saying Evans IS Wade, but I think there's a lot of similarity (and potential similarity) to their games, especially at this stage of the game. Wade is now a much more reliable shooter, but I see Evans capable of filling every box in the stat sheet. Even with as much grief as we give Evans, his per year TO ratio is better than that of Wade's at a similar point in time, and his assist's aren't that far off.

It only takes a moment in time to turn on a light switch.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Some how he has amassed great stats despite all his weaknesses. My goodness folks, I agree he has weaknesses. That makes him all the more intriguing as with these weaknesses he can score 20 pts per game, get 6-7 assists per game and out rebound most if not all guards in the league. He also plays defense if allowed to guard people of guard size and not SF size where he gets burned badly.

I want someone to work with him on being a PG. Let it not be his brothers who may be better blowing smoke than anything else. Let it be a real teacher who understands what a PG needs to accomplish. Tyreke will never be a classical PG whatever that is but that doesn't mean he can't fill the role well and actually improve. The fact that he isn't classical can be an advantage and not a disadvantage. People have said this over and over but he has never really been coached. He has been handed the ball and told to do his thing and the teams have won. Well, now he's in the NBA. He has still demonstrated that he can score. It just isn't in the way people think he should score. 2 points are 2 points.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
if we can get a first round pick + a decent player now... well worth it
Uh no. Called a disaster.

If you trade Reke for an established star caliber guy then...well its got the chance to bite you in a bad way. Be one of those things the fanbase is muttering about for the next deacde. Especially if one day you lose Cousins because you can't find him a 2nd star. But trading him for a pick would be jsut insanity. You get 1 or 2 guys at Reke's level a draft. Some drafts you get none. And Sacramento will NEVER sign a star player in free agency. EVER. That's what it means to be Sacramento. If you trade him without an absolute guarantee of what you are getting back you are nutty.

Neither did Dwyane Wade. His 3pt% yo-yos quite a bit as well. I'm not saying Evans IS Wade, but I think there's a lot of similarity (and potential similarity) to their games, especially at this stage of the game. Wade is now a much more reliable shooter, but I see Evans capable of filling every box in the stat sheet. Even with as much grief as we give Evans, his per year TO ratio is better than that of Wade's at a similar point in time, and his assist's aren't that far off.

It only takes a moment in time to turn on a light switch.
He's closer to Stackhouse than Wade.

He pulled off 20/5/5 and got rookie of the year in his first year with a clueless coach, was plagued with an injury his second year, and now in his third year in a condensed, shortened season with another clueless coach playing him at the 3 spot, we are ok with trading which could be part of our Batman and Robin duo we have?

Before DMC, Reke was out dude. People are quick to forget what he did for us at the PG spot and the game winners he hit. In his rookie year he went head-to-head with elite PGs like Deron Williams and CP3 and kept up, if not outplayed them.

We don't trade him unless it's a CP3, Westbrook, or maybe a Deron Williams. They would have to be guaranteed to stay and you are committing yourself to winning a championship next season so you cannot cheap out on bringing in players and a coach.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Uh no. Called a disaster.

If you trade Reke for an established star caliber guy then...well its got the chance to bite you in a bad way. Be one of those things the fanbase is muttering about for the next deacde. Especially if one day you lose Cousins because you can't find him a 2nd star. But trading him for a pick would be jsut insanity. You get 1 or 2 guys at Reke's level a draft. Some drafts you get none. And Sacramento will NEVER sign a star player in free agency. EVER. That's what it means to be Sacramento. If you trade him without an absolute guarantee of what you are getting back you are nutty.
There is a draft pick better the Tyreke in this year's draft. I don't think I am going out on any limb at all about Anthony Davis. I would do this trade and believe me, I'm a Tyreke supporter. Big star >>> small star. :)

My worry is that the Kings have decided Evans is a small forward, not a PG and so he'll be less effective or continue to plateau, which will make them even more likely to trade him for less than he's worth.

What's more, Maloof said it's led to the official end of the Tyreke Evans point-guard project. Evans played the point in his first two-plus seasons, but he has been moved to small forward for the last six games. All of which makes for an interesting time for the 2009 Rookie of the Year, as he is eligible for an extension this summer but is hardly assured of being offered one.

"He'll be the point-forward, not the point guard anymore," Maloof said. "The point guard is Isaiah and Jimmer and those guys. It's an incredible surprise [how Thomas is playing]. Nobody gave the guy a chance and I'm so proud of our basketball operations to pick him at No. 60, and then to have the success that he's having says a lot for the scouts. They really picked a winner there."

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There is a draft pick better the Tyreke in this year's draft. I don't think I am going out on any limb at all about Anthony Davis. I would do this trade and believe me, I'm a Tyreke supporter. Big star >>> small star. :)

That's very nice. So you want to propose trading Tyreke for the #1 overall pick in a draft with a superstar sitting their waiting. I'll listen.

That wasn't the proposal. It was "solid guy and a first". Any first will do you know, because its so easy to draft elite guys with the 15th pick.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
We don't trade him unless it's a CP3, Westbrook, or maybe a Deron Williams. They would have to be guaranteed to stay and you are committing yourself to winning a championship next season so you cannot cheap out on bringing in players and a coach.
This is the problem behind all our other problems and dreams.

That's very nice. So you want to propose trading Tyreke for the #1 overall pick in a draft with a superstar sitting their waiting. I'll listen.

That wasn't the proposal. It was "solid guy and a first". Any first will do you know, because its so easy to draft elite guys with the 15th pick.
that isnt what i ment... i mean a top 5 pick and a solid player

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Er, no to the latter. As a matter of fact, Anthiny Davis is the only draftee that seems to be a guaranteed star in the future. The rest of the top 5 or so might be great but I'd rather work with Tyreke than take a chance. I mean WORK WITH Tyreke. Not what has been going on.

It is in my DNA to reject any trade where we take back more players than we get unless there is some salary cap issue. 2 for 1 is not a good basketball trade for the one receiving the 2. It works in football but not in a game that allows only 5 guys on the court at once and where three stars could be all a team needs to be great.

There are very few trades that I would even consider concerning Tyreke. Waaaay too much skill right now and too much potential if he actually is coached.

My read on this is that Keith Smart is in with the organization and the only player who really counts, DMC. I don't think the front office is going to take a chance with a name coach like Sloan who is a my way or the highway guy. I think fans need to start thinking like the front office is probably thinking... what do we need to put around DMC to make him a star player.

So coach stays for now and as long as he and DMC are good. And doesn't surprise me that the Kings are open to a move with Tyreke.

DMC is the closest thing this franchise has gotten to a star player since Webber. They just don't come along often and when they do you better build around them correctly and quickly.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
that isnt what i ment... i mean a top 5 pick and a solid player
Honestly, the only player for me is Anthony Davis although I understand that a top 5 pick is more than likely to get you a long time NBA starter. Trading for the unknown is risky and any kid coming out of college has a bit of unknown attached to him.

Some how he has amassed great stats despite all his weaknesses. My goodness folks, I agree he has weaknesses. That makes him all the more intriguing as with these weaknesses he can score 20 pts per game, get 6-7 assists per game and out rebound most if not all guards in the league. He also plays defense if allowed to guard people of guard size and not SF size where he gets burned badly.

I want someone to work with him on being a PG. Let it not be his brothers who may be better blowing smoke than anything else. Let it be a real teacher who understands what a PG needs to accomplish. Tyreke will never be a classical PG whatever that is but that doesn't mean he can't fill the role well and actually improve. The fact that he isn't classical can be an advantage and not a disadvantage. People have said this over and over but he has never really been coached. He has been handed the ball and told to do his thing and the teams have won. Well, now he's in the NBA. He has still demonstrated that he can score. It just isn't in the way people think he should score. 2 points are 2 points.
The question is, in his rookie year, why label him a PG? He had 20+ points and the 5-5, but Beno was the PG, why call him a PG? Has that fact had any way in how he had developed?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The question is, in his rookie year, why label him a PG? He had 20+ points and the 5-5, but Beno was the PG, why call him a PG? Has that fact had any way in how he had developed?
I call him a PG because everyone on this damn forum seem to lack the ability to talk about basketball players without attaching some label to them. I want him to play as a guard and have another guard that compliments him. Label them how you wish.

Honestly, the only player for me is Anthony Davis although I understand that a top 5 pick is more than likely to get you a long time NBA starter. Trading for the unknown is risky and any kid coming out of college has a bit of unknown attached to him.
It wouldn't make a difference to us what we call him. But to the players, and to himself, i think it does.

The only guys id consider in a package (and most of these not straight up) are love, westbrook, rondo, igoudala, curry, irving and to a lesser degree hibbert, horford, wallace, e gordon, monroe, wall, harden, ibaka, p george.

Most of those guys arent even close to being traded and the ones that are would really be risky moves for a young guy of evans talent.

What if I told you there may or may not be an All-Star point guard available, who is only 26 years old, who is an NBA champion, who has an extremely fair contract, who can lead your team from the point guard position on both offense and defense ..

I'm half kidding. I know how you feel about Rondo. I'd still pursue him though.