• DeMarcus Cousins 21pts 14rebs 8-15FG

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Tyreke Evans 22pts 10reb 9ast 3stl

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Isiah Thomas 11pts, 3 clutch threes in crunchtime

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Team is sticking to offensive sets. Cousins played more in control this game offensively. Lack of PG shows up on those 24 second shotclock violations. I assume that's why Smart went with IT for the 4th, even though for most of the 4th it wasn't making a difference at all. Probably should have seen more Garcia or Jimmer during that stretch of empty offense.

The lack of Thornton was noticeable in this game, but I'm worried about him disrupting the focus on offense when he comes back. Previously he was one of the major culprits in the Y FOR U HATE PASS BASKETBALL Drama in a thousand pieces that is Kings 2012.

Also, I thought Jimmer had a pull up jumper in college? What happened to it? He doesn't need to get so far into the lane. Just fake the three and pull up midrange.

They lost by one shot. They shot a better % than their oponents.

Seems like turnovers/possessions are the obvious conclusions. Is the math really too complicated for you? This is pretty elementary stuff...
what you see: the Kings outperformed the Warriors in pretty much every category other than turnovers. Tyreke and DMC turned the ball over the most. therefore -> they are to blame.
what everyone else sees: pretty much everybody outside of Tyreke and DMC didn't play all that well. those two however played great and nearly managed to outperform the Warriors by themselves, but turned the ball over too much, which often is a byproduct of being asked to do too much. conclusion -> the Kings need more players capable of stepping it up.

hth.

There were two bad stretches in this game. 1. The last 3 minutes of the second quarter where every person in a Kings uniform forgot how to play basketball we had an 8 point lead and were pulling away from a demoralized warriors squad, then poof, go into half with 1 point lead. 2. The long stretch in the fourth where we had no offensive players on the floor. That's a bad rotation there, and Smart gets full credit for that section of ugly.

The only reason it was only by 3 is the Warriors are bad enough to let them back in the game. It's pathetic because this is a game the Kings could have and should have won and they blew it. They got torched by the bench of the Warriors, that's just lame.
This

I don't get to watch the game but why the h.ll we got blow away in the 4th when none of their starter are playing?
If I'm Reke I did be pee, the team need him to play the whole game just to be able to stay in the game. Where are the bench?
Reke have been in god mode since MT went down, I wonder if he can keep it up once MT back in 100%. Or have MT to come off the bench as a super Jason Terry.

What I cannot understand is why Tyreke went into outside shooter mode for certain stretches. He was doing so well driving the ball and making plays and then all of a sudden he starts pounding the ball again, taking outside shots, not moving the ball. Sometimes it really just makes me want to bang my head on a wall.

Also, when is Keith Smart going to realise that he NEEDS to keep either Tyreke or DMC in the game at any one time? There is nobody else who can score for our team. We thought we had a bunch of scorers who could create their own shot. Well, we were wrong. Veteran teams with good benches can leave the game to the bench for prolonged stretches and bring the starters back in refreshed. We struggle just to get 10 points off the bench every game. As far as I know, 10 points from your bench isn't going to keep you in a big number of games.

What I cannot understand is why Tyreke went into outside shooter mode for certain stretches. He was doing so well driving the ball and making plays and then all of a sudden he starts pounding the ball again, taking outside shots, not moving the ball. Sometimes it really just makes me want to bang my head on a wall.

Also, when is Keith Smart going to realise that he NEEDS to keep either Tyreke or DMC in the game at any one time? There is nobody else who can score for our team. We thought we had a bunch of scorers who could create their own shot. Well, we were wrong. Veteran teams with good benches can leave the game to the bench for prolonged stretches and bring the starters back in refreshed. We struggle just to get 10 points off the bench every game. As far as I know, 10 points from your bench isn't going to keep you in a big number of games.

It's also what the defense gives him as well. so can't just drive all the time, and expect the defense to just lay there and let you do that.

Jimmer needs to shoot the damn ball. Tired of watching him give up an open shot then drive in the middle and get stuck...like an instant replay every game now.

It's also what the defense gives him as well. so can't just drive all the time, and expect the defense to just lay there and let you do that.
Understandably, but you can at least try to force the defense to rotate a little on you. At least making your man move a little and then passing the ball early in the clock is better than just holding the ball, going back to his pounding ways and pulling up for a last second fadeaway.

Also, our guys need to understand that even the best offenses are designed to get you 1 and maybe 2 good open shots. There's really no point in moving the ball the right way, kicking it to an open shooter with 3 seconds on the clock (plenty of time to shoot) but then have him pump fake drive a little and pass, by which time the player receiving the ball has barely a second to throw up a shot. If you're not confident in your outside shot then you shouldn't be in a position to receive the ball for the open shot off good ball movement. You should be on the bench. Imagine Rush getting his nice wide open 3s and then pump faking, driving in, eating up a few seconds and then passing it out to just as "bad" a shooter (in this case Rush isn't bad but if he were ...)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Tyreke had an A for 2 to 3 quarters. Then he flunked the 4th. How many times does Tyreke have to drive right and try to go all the way to the basket in the 4th before he realizes that everybody on the planet knows he's going to do just that? These teams are waiting for him to do his drive to the right 4th quarter heroics, and he is blithely doing the same darn thing over and over. What kind of grade do you give your floor general if he flunks the 4th quarter with terrible decision making, but overall has good stats for the game? I'll leave that to the brighter bulbs to figure out.

IT continues to impress. The contrast between him and Tyreke was stark in the 4th quarter. He just knows what to do with the ball on most occassions. Considering the lack of practice and playing time he's had, his performance is pretty amazing. He has an instinct for the game. Smart should give him the ball; he's the defacto floor general out there, so why not roll with it? The team plays better with him on the floor, with the ball in his hands, especially in crunch time. Politically, it would be a difficult move by Smart. IT was the 60th pick this year. Jimmer, the 10th pick this year. Tyreke was the 5th pick two years ago. But is it the right move? I think so.

Tyreke had an A for 2 to 3 quarters. Then he flunked the 4th. How many times does Tyreke have to drive right and try to go all the way to the basket in the 4th before he realizes that everybody on the planet knows he's going to do just that? These teams are waiting for him to do his drive to the right 4th quarter heroics, and he is blithely doing the same darn thing over and over. What kind of grade do you give your floor general if he flunks the 4th quarter with terrible decision making, but overall has good stats for the game? I'll leave that to the brighter bulbs to figure out.
This is why I voted for Cousins in the player of the game poll. Tyreke put up better game stats but his late game play was costly, as it has been many times.

IT continues to impress. The contrast between him and Tyreke was stark in the 4th quarter. He just knows what to do with the ball on most occassions. Considering the lack of practice and playing time he's had, his performance is pretty amazing. He has an instinct for the game.
Indeed. His poise and control out there just goes to show how lame the youth excuse is when used on players with more NBA experience than IT. He proves that just because you’re young doesn’t automatically mean you’re doomed to being a dumb basketball player. I mean dumb only in the low basketball IQ sense.

This will sound like “Tyreke bashing” to those committed to making excuses for him but I’m just calling it like I see it. Cousins has been consistent and cut down of the dumb mistakes. Thompson has elevated his game and looks better than ever. Thomas is looking real solid as a rookie. There guys are doing it, why can’t Tyreke?

I want Tyreke to get better. It’s not like I’m some hater rooting for him to fail. I just refuse to make excuse for him. He needs to be held accountable. No one can fix the problems in his game for him. Whether he becomes a star or a disappointment is only up to him.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This is why I voted for Cousins in the player of the game poll. Tyreke put up better game stats but his late game play was costly, as it has been many times.

Indeed. His poise and control out there just goes to show how lame the youth excuse is when used on players with more NBA experience than IT. He proves that just because you’re young doesn’t automatically mean you’re doomed to being a dumb basketball player. I mean dumb only in the low basketball IQ sense.

This will sound like “Tyreke bashing” to those committed to making excuses for him but I’m just calling it like I see it. Cousins has been consistent and cut down of the dumb mistakes. Thompson has elevated his game and looks better than ever. Thomas is looking real solid as a rookie. There guys are doing it, why can’t Tyreke?

I want Tyreke to get better. It’s not like I’m some hater rooting for him to fail. I just refuse to make excuse for him. He needs to be held accountable. No one can fix the problems in his game for him. Whether he becomes a star or a disappointment is only up to him.
Yes, it does prove that, doesn't it?

Smart has said the ball needs to be in Tyreke's hands, but if Tyreke continues to do the same ineffective things in crunch time, maybe Smart redefines what exactly that means.

Do you guys know that Isaiah Thomas is 7 months OLDER than Tyreke Evans? Also as Jerry Reynolds continues to point out IT was a Lead Guard in the Washington Huskies program for 4 years doing exactly what he has been doing for the Kings. Of course this is the NBA so all the players are better.

I like IT in the role Coach Smart is playing him in. Since he is not starting the other team does not game plan their defense for him, YET:)

KB

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Also, I thought Jimmer had a pull up jumper in college? What happened to it? He doesn't need to get so far into the lane. Just fake the three and pull up midrange.
ElRey said:
Jimmer needs to shoot the damn ball. Tired of watching him give up an open shot then drive in the middle and get stuck...like an instant replay every game now.
Heh. I don't know why I found this funny, but I did.

Basically, the guy we drafted to be "the shooter" hasn't really done his job. Salmons can't hit a three (but at least he was more active). IT can only hit a three when the other team is either up by 20, or when there are under 2 minutes left in the game (sometimes both at the same time.) Were I Donte, I'd be taking 3000000 three point shots during practice. I'm telling you, the spot is there for the taking.

Ugh. Moving Salmons to the bench would at least give some sort of scoring potential.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Do you guys know that Isaiah Thomas is 7 months OLDER than Tyreke Evans? Also as Jerry Reynolds continues to point out IT was a Lead Guard in the Washington Huskies program for 4 years doing exactly what he has been doing for the Kings. Of course this is the NBA so all the players are better.

I like IT in the role Coach Smart is playing him in. Since he is not starting the other team does not game plan their defense for him, YET:)

KB
It's interesting to note that both players drafted by the Kings this year are older than Evans and Cousins, at least in terms of college experience, and I think, age.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

KB
So you think that the pg experience of Isaiah in college outweighs the two years of NBA experience of Tyreke? And that accounts for IT being a better floor general than Tyreke? Leaving aside why IT is a better floor general, does it really matter why? If the guy is better, then why not play him accordingly?

I don't really care if Smart starts IT. I just want him to play more minutes, especially in crunch time, and give him the ball. He's going to make mistakes like every rookie, but from what I've seen he's a lot less likely to repeat those mistakes over and over.

Can we just say that right now they are a bad team? Their bench is very poor. Which is to be expected when the owners spend ZERO to improve the team. Another year of mediocrity is on the horizon.
No, it's a struggling team getting better. We've already been bad and now we are past that.

So you think that the pg experience of Isaiah in college outweighs the two years of NBA experience of Tyreke? And that accounts for IT being a better floor general than Tyreke? Leaving aside why IT is a better floor general, does it really matter why? If the guy is better, then why not play him accordingly?
I do think it makes a difference. At his size, IT has and always will play PG in the NBA. He's always played against guys bigger than him, too. Four years of college improving fundamentals sure helps, too.

Tyreke has almost always been asked to play as a primary scorer for a team. Only one year of college. The fact that I can see the improvement in Tyreke's game this year, since Smart took over, shows me he's had two bad coaches his first two years, who did not help him adjust and improve his game, at all.

I have nothing against IT, as a matter of fact I like him quite a lot. He's struggled in some games this year, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now Thornton is someone I'd be ok with people bashing for not living up to expectations. He's basically been our worst fears about him up to this point: A selfish, inefficient, streaky scorer who isn't very good defensively.
He's not my favorite either but I wouldn't go that far.

He's not going to have one. That's the Sword of Damacles hagning over his head. Unless he can figure a way to get this turned around NOW, midseason, and get us competitive and then some by the back half of the season, if the rumors have it right Van Gundy, lLoan, Brown etc. will be getting calls, and Smart wil be out of a job again same way it happened in Golden State. Ah, the life of an interim guy. Thing is I too think maybe, just maybe, if he can be talked out of smallball, this is a guy who could lead a good team. But he threatens to be overwhelmed by the glamour/reputation picks instead (you do remember who the owners are, and broke or not, they like shiny things and flashy names).

Anyway, Smart doesn;t have tome to wait for an offseason. He needs to somehow polish these turds and come up with diamonds.
Unfortunately, I think you are right. Smart seems to be doing OK but he has to do better to claim the job.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I do think it makes a difference. At his size, IT has and always will play PG in the NBA. He's always played against guys bigger than him, too. Four years of college improving fundamentals sure helps, too.

Tyreke has almost always been asked to play as a primary scorer for a team. Only one year of college. The fact that I can see the improvement in Tyreke's game this year, since Smart took over, shows me he's had two bad coaches his first two years, who did not help him adjust and improve his game, at all.

I have nothing against IT, as a matter of fact I like him quite a lot. He's struggled in some games this year, too.
So let me ask you, what do you make of Tyreke's repeated attempts to drive right all the way to the basket at the end of games, despite the fact that many more times than nought he is unsuccessful in his attempt? As a fan, I find it frustrating that he can't come up with something different to do other than drive right all the way to the basket in crunch time. Is he in a mind-fog when this happens? He must have seen film of this deja vu all over again occurrence. Yet he continues to do it. Is this really the same thing as say Jimmer's habit of dribbling into traffic and stopping his dribble? Or is it something different?

Last edited by a moderator:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately, I think you are right. Smart seems to be doing OK but he has to do better to claim the job.
The main hope is that he will ask half as much a salary than the others. This assumes he finishes out the season much as he has begun. What works to our advantage is the schedule which will get easier at the end of the season. The Maloofs are an emotional crew and if we end the season much as we did last year, they might semi-impulsively keep him.

I don't know Smart's age but that would give us the youngest team with the least experienced coach and I think with a more stable lineup, the drafting of Anthony Davis or any of a few others I think could step in right away as good rotation players, and a LOT more practice sessions, we could start a good decade.

I don't think this is being outrageously positive. I'd be willing to follow a team and coach like that.

Brandon Rush, a small forward who could hit an open three. Isn't that what we need so badly!? He's on the wrong team.
No, what we need is the capability as a team and as individuals is getting OPEN SHOTS. Our guys in the fourth stood each in his own spot and forced passes to each other until the clock ran down and then forced up a shot. Even Rush last night couldn't have made those shots. The problem I just decribed also explains a number of TOs.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
No, what we need is the capability as a team and as individuals is getting OPEN SHOTS. Our guys in the fourth stood each in his own spot and forced passes to each other until the clock ran down and then forced up a shot. Even Rush last night couldn't have made those shots. The problem I just decribed also explains a number of TOs.
I don't recall explicitely who we had on the court at the end of that game but it was a rudderless collection of 5. It was like it was the only combo never to see practice time together.