Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Isiah Thomas 11pts, 3 clutch threes in crunchtime

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We shouldn't have lost this one.

We got big statistical games from our two young studs (that were probably not as impressive as the numbers indicated) a late boost from IT again...but otherwise somebody should be suing for a criminal lack of support. Including the coach as a named party too, as Smart made some curious choices both with personnel and playcalling.

Also follows our normal pattern this year -- we've been blown out a ton, but its almost all been by good teams. Against fellow bottom dwellers we've largely been competitive.

Theme = The Most Absurdly Macho Songs of All Time (mostly rock).

Boxscore

Salmons ( C+ ) -- statistically this was only mildly better than the norm for John. But as far as usefulness it was considerably improved. The reason? Defense. John guarded someone successfully. And who did he guard? Monta Ellis, who is a bit banged up, but still is Monta Ellis. Oh, and BTW, what position does Monta play? SG. And what position should Salmons play? I'll let you figure that one out. In any case combined with Reke to just squish the Ellis/Curry tandem on defense (we hid Jimmer on the SF, Wright). And for the first half we somehow talked him into just doing that and not torturing us with anymore of his constant bricking. Had 0pts on 2 total shots. In the third he struggeld to life offensively as we called his number a few times...and then it looked like he started calling his own number. Got a couple of drives and little finishes. It looks like we have officially given up on the idea of him being able to hit a corner three, which is probably a good idea. We may need to trade to find somebody to do that to create space for Reke and Cousins.
George Thorogood and the Destroyers -- Bad to the Bone
On the day I was born
The nurses all gathered 'round
And they gazed in wide wonder
At the joy they had found
The head nurse spoke up
Said "leave this one alone"
She could tell right away
That I was bad to the bone
http://www.metrolyrics.com/bad-to-the-bone-lyrics-george-thorogood.html

Thompson ( B ) -- doing all the hustle work on the glass early, although was not slowing Lee on defense at all. And while Salmons helped some with the defense, until IT's late heroics Jason was effectively our third gun and sole support for Cousins/Reke. As he often has against the Warriors, had stretches where he just overwhelmed their frontline with size and hustle. Still having trouble getting Smart's respect minutewise as a roleplayer, and had to sit for long minutes while an ineffective Hayes and erratic Hickson worked the power spots. After being reinserted late in the game was less effective against the Warriors energetic bench guys han he had been against the starters.
AC/DC -- T.N.T
I'm dirty, mean and mighty unclean
I'm a Wanted man
Public Enemy Number One
Understand
So lock up your daughter
And lock up your wife
Lock up your back door
And run for your life
The man is back in town
Don't you mess around
http://www.metrolyrics.com/tnt-lyrics-acdc.html

Cousins ( B+ ) -- was a little wild to start this one, notching several turnovers and loose plays in the opening minutes as he was seemingly just chomping at the bit to get at the Warriors frontline. But then got an open court steal against Monta Ellis (yes our center just took the ball from Monta) and took it the other way for the finish, and he was off. Using his power edge early as he often does, and was simply the best player on the floor in the first quarter. Held out for too long in the second, we kept playing the Hayes/Hickson duo despite DeMarcus's early dominance. Now Reke was carrying us through that quarter, and we were hanging right in on the scoreboard, but still it was odd. Why not have both of them out there and try to build a 10+pt halftime lead? Maybe it was still the attempts to keep him out of foul trouble, but as I mentioned a few weeks ago, Cousins just woke up one day and decided to quit fouling, and in this game you could see him playing almost daintily at times, pulling his arm back instead of attempting poekaways etc., and he finshed the game with ONE foul. So that's not much of an excuse for holding him out either. In any case, finally back in for the final few minutes of the half but was nowhere near as effective as he had been in the early going, and really wouldn't be again in this game until the stretch run. A major reason for this was a seeming strategic decision to stop posting him that just...WHY? Was constantly having to catch the ball at the angles or up above the free throw stripe and have to try to work his way into the region of the hoop. Was still a factor, but never dominated the game again, which is how this ends up B+. Late in the game was being outactiviied by a bouncy Udoh until he seemed to reach down and find one more burst of energy (he looked noticeably gassed during a late timeout). Was some factor in the late rush to try to steal the game, coming up with a timely block, and banging inside to get to the line, where he hit 3 of 4 in the last minute. I dunno, this was 21 and 14 with solid stats across the board, and a dominant first quarter. Just didn't feel A-ey to me, but I will say that if he keeps putting up these numbers and Reke wants to threaten a triple double every night we'll be fine sooner rather than later.
Elvis Pressley -- Trouble
If you're looking for trouble
You came to the right place
If you're looking for trouble
Just look right in my face
I was born standing up
And talking back
My daddy was a green-eyed mountain jack
Because I'm evil, my middle name is misery
Well I'm evil, so don't you mess around with me
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Trouble-lyrics-Elvis-Presley/981A1848E529381448256874003CED25

Fredette ( D ) -- this was the one we could ill afford as with Thornton out we've been depending on Jimmer to give us some semblance of balanced scoring, and it was just never there tonight. And if Jimmer isn't shooting well, he's not helping, and we went away from him to a lot of I again. got his tow hits, on guess what, a catch and shoot three, and then a nice move to get a layup on the break. But otherwise it was all forces and just not playing within himself. Contiuing to try to do too much of the dribble, and to overpenetrate and get himelf caugt amongst the trees down in the paint. Wish he could figure that latter one out. As in stop doing it. 6'2" guys don't pick up their dribble in the paint in the NBA. Forced attempt to shoot over David Lee messed up the end of the qutrter play, and continues to adopt a puzzled face everytime he gets beat on defense or makes mistakes on offense, constantly turning to our bench like he either wants to explain something or wants something explained. We tried to hide him on defense against Wright whiel reke and Salmons slowed Curry/Ellis, and guess which one of the Warriors 3 smaller guys was the only one to get going. Not a fair matchup of course, but who was he going to guard otherwise?
ZZ Top -- Tush

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

Evans ( A- ) -- in many ways this was a huge performance -- 22pts 11rebs 9ast AND locking up Stephen Curry? But I never felt it was quite as dominant as all that. He and Cousins were undoubtedly our engines -- not only our engines, but pretty much our transmissions, ignition, radiator, wheels and cigarette lighters too --but aside from a stretch of the second quarter when he got into a I can anything I want and you can't stop me rhythm he was more constant presence than whirling dervish out there. In the ealry going in fact seemed to be judt settling back and fascilitating and letting Cousins and JT and even breifly Jimmer get going (I think it was Phil Jackson who always preached to his stars to let the rest of the team establish itself/get happy early in the game before you step forward and take over). Now mind you, he was "just settling back" while hounding Curry all over the court and compeltely shutting him down, so he wasn't exactly kicking back having a beer in his barcalounger. But may have been too passive on offense, as he wasn't in any sort of rhythm and struggled with his shot in the first quarter -- 1-6 in the early going, 8-16 therafter. Struggled to life in the early second quarter, and gained confidence with every shot until by the end of the quarter he was dominating the game, both inside and out. Once he started going everything started falling. Started racking up the assists to begin the 3rd (he's now averaging 7.2ast/gm since the Dallas disaster), and was back there grabbing defensive board after defensive board to boot. Came up with blocks on both Curry and Ellis as well just to complete the picture. but offensively he fell back off in theface of considerable Golden State attention, and it wasn't until the mid 4th when you could feel him step up and try to just physcially wrench us out of our malaise by one man ganging the Warriros that we heard from again in the scoring column. May have been tiring though after going nearly the entire way (everytime he left things seemed to quickly fall apart, so he came right back). Made several defensive mistakes at that time, and after spending a whole game helping lock up one of the league's most potent backcourts, got caught on several screens and unable to challenge Brandon Rush threes (Rush this season having become the latest Warriors freak 3pt shooter -- most be something in the water out there). Had a bad 1 on 1 force at the 2:00 mark maybe, and came up short on layup he should have had, or could have dumped to Thompson on a wraparound play that he has been making a lot recently. Added a nice drive and dish to IT for the three to make it a 2pt game, but this time his game tying halfcourt heave at the buzzer was off to the left -- not too far off thoguh as he really does seem much more on line with those than most guys.
Steppenwolf -- Born to be Wild

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bench

Thomas ( B- ) -- this is one of those grades where...what will rapidly be forgotten in this one is that for 42 minutes IT was part of the problem -- it wasn't like he was scoring and the rest of the bench was sucking. The entire bench was awful and punchless, and IT was the man tasked with leading it. He didn't give us anything in the second except the carnival matchup with Nate Robinson, and we fell apart so badlywith him leading the show in the late 3rd and early 4th that we needed an immediate mass infusion of our starters back at the 9:00 mark to try to get back on track. But the reason all of that wil be forgotten is because when we needed him he stepped up again, knocking down 3 straight 3s in the final minutes to give us the kick we needed to get back into the game and have a chance. With this grade I'm trying to balance the ineffective stuf for most of the game with the fact that he was the guy who tried to close what Boogie and Reke started.
Under My Thumb -- The Rolling Stones -- perhaps not macho so much as a great ode to misogyny:
Under my thumb
The squirmin' dog who's just had her day
Under my thumb
A girl who has just changed her ways

It's down to me, yes it is
The way she does just what she's told
Down to me, the change has come
She's under my thumb
Ah, ah, say it's alright

Under my thumb
A siamese cat of a girl
Under my thumb
She's the sweetest, hmmm, pet in the world

It's down to me
The way she talks when she's spoken to
Down to me, the change has come,
She's under my thumb
Ah, take it easy babe
Yeah

Hayes ( D ) -- and now having passed through the contributor's section of this one, we come to the rest. here's a stat for you: in the last two games our bench has been outscored 88-38, with IT with 22 of those 38 points. In any case, not sure Hayes should ahve been playing. He got less than nothing accomplsihed out there. Offensively is impotent, and other than a few little groundbound plays in the 3rd, nothing much except pushing and shoving. Looked fish out of water once the Warriors went to their bouncy bench to get a spark in the early 4th.
Danzig -- Mother -- of course there was no way we were getting through this topic without this one.

Hickson ( C+ ) -- this wasn't a bad performance. In fact he mixed in several spectacular plays using his athelticism and made a nice interior dropoff pass to Reke for a hoop. Had some good boards and a well timed block in the 4th. It just...somehow never seems to add up to a consistent presence for JJ. Feels like a series of plays rather than a coherent whole. And those hands are costing him hoops as he again dropped a perfect Reke dumpoff pass that would hae been an easy dunk for him.
Tome Petty & the Heartbreakers -- I Won't Back Down -- doesn't deserve the absurd label, but still a lesson every macho boy (or girl) should learn. I made this song somewhat of a theme song for a long stretch.

Bricklayer

Garcia ( C- ) -- just simply dropped a nice Reke 3/4 court pass ahead to him on the break for a turnoer. Then next time down Reke found him for a three, and that was basically his last and only contribution. Failed to catch the ball cleanly again in the 4th messing up another play. Maybe somebody laced his towel with WD40, don't know.
George Thorogood -- Born to be Bad -- hey, you could practically take his entire catalog for this kind of list.
So when you see me comin' get away
the ones that didn't ain't around today
The sweetest piece of lovin' any girl ever had
I'm here to tell you boys I was born to be bad
http://www.metrolyrics.com/born-to-be-bad-lyrics-george-thorogood.html

Greene ( INC ) -- finally in to end the third and missed the three to close the quarter for us. Some fugly play in the early 4th made his return to the bench more merciful than anything else.
Village People -- Macho Man -- ahem

Honeycutt ( INC ) -- in for our final defensive possesion with 3 secs to go, trying to get a steal or knockaway. He didn't. Therefore he is a failure, probably lazy as well, and should be immediately traded.
How about a macho Boy?

Pathetic game. The only positive i take away from this game is that both Kings "stars" played great. If they can both play that good most of the time things will eventually get better.

Bricklayer

Pathetic game. The only positive i take away from this game is that both Kings "stars" played great. If they can both play that good most of the time things will eventually get better.
We lost by 3 on the road. Not every loss is pathetic. Just in this case...unnecessary.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Could you please make the post multiple choice? All three players strongly deserve the honor and I cannot pick between them.

We lost by 3 ont eh road. Not every loss is pathetic. Just in this case...unnecessary.
The only reason it was only by 3 is the Warriors are bad enough to let them back in the game. It's pathetic because this is a game the Kings could have and should have won and they blew it. They got torched by the bench of the Warriors, that's just lame.

Last edited:
Can we just say that right now they are a bad team? Their bench is very poor. Which is to be expected when the owners spend ZERO to improve the team. Another year of mediocrity is on the horizon.

This game is a perfect example of the Kings entire season. It takes monster games from DeMarcus and Reke to be even competitive against a bottom feeder. We simply aren't going to win games with 1 consistent role player

This game is a perfect example of the Kings entire season. It takes monster games from DeMarcus and Reke to be even competitive against a bottom feeder. We simply aren't going to win games with 1 consistent role player
Which begs the question, why are the role players struggling? I personally think it's that they still don't have a definite role most of the time, and some of the players are in a role that doesn't seem comfortable to them. Practice, practice, practice. Smart will be getting it in the next few weeks so he has his chance to put them in the right place.

I thought the Kings played well except for the 4th Q breakdown where their offense looked like they had never met before. It was close at the end because the KIngs made it close. We were close to four quarters but no cigar.

I thought the Kings played well except for the 4th Q breakdown where their offense looked like they had never met before. It was close at the end because the KIngs made it close. We were close to four quarters but no cigar.
They didn't really play well that i saw. The only reason the game was close is because the Warriors are a bad team too.

We really missed Marcus Thornton tonight to be another Kings scoring threat. Hopefully, he's back soon and starting lineup will be once again be solidified since Chuck Hayes has now returned w/ JT continuing to play big minutes.

Which begs the question, why are the role players struggling? I personally think it's that they still don't have a definite role most of the time, and some of the players are in a role that doesn't seem comfortable to them. Practice, practice, practice. Smart will be getting it in the next few weeks so he has his chance to put them in the right place.
I'm anxious to see Smart with a full-offseason with this team. He's for certain made a positive impact on the team, but there's very little he can do with virtually no practice time available.

It's also the fact that our Quartet of Suckage at SF, Hickson, Jimmer (outside of 5 games) have, well, sucked. Name 1 winning team with 6 terrible rotation players

We really missed Marcus Thornton tonight to be another Kings scoring threat. Hopefully, he's back soon and starting lineup will be once again be solidified since Chuck Hayes has now returned w/ JT continuing to play big minutes.
Now Thornton is someone I'd be ok with people bashing for not living up to expectations. He's basically been our worst fears about him up to this point: A selfish, inefficient, streaky scorer who isn't very good defensively.

Bricklayer

Now the first part of that I agree with -- its obvious in games like these how badly we need Thornton back as a third threat. Kinda scary because it means we just can't be without any of the big three, but its pretty obvious we don't have the punch without him.

Now the Hayes thing -- he hurt us tonight. And if he's not ready to go he needs to sit out for a while longer to get ready. but a 6'6" offensively incompetrnt guy playing one armed isn't going to help.

Bricklayer

I'm anxious to see Smart with a full-offseason with this team. He's for certain made a positive impact on the team, but there's very little he can do with virtually no practice time available.

It's also the fact that our Quartet of Suckage at SF, Hickson, Jimmer (outside of 5 games) have, well, sucked. Name 1 winning team with 6 terrible rotation players
He's not going to have one. That's the Sword of Damacles hagning over his head. Unless he can figure a way to get this turned around NOW, midseason, and get us competitive and then some by the back half of the season, if the rumors have it right Van Gundy, lLoan, Brown etc. will be getting calls, and Smart wil be out of a job again same way it happened in Golden State. Ah, the life of an interim guy. Thing is I too think maybe, just maybe, if he can be talked out of smallball, this is a guy who could lead a good team. But he threatens to be overwhelmed by the glamour/reputation picks instead (you do remember who the owners are, and broke or not, they like shiny things and flashy names).

Anyway, Smart doesn;t have tome to wait for an offseason. He needs to somehow polish these turds and come up with diamonds.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. My point was that bad team vs bad team = close game. Basically bad teams make each other look good.
Sure, but that's not pthetic. Just predictable. Pathetic is getting crushed by 20 by said bad team and not being competitive in the second half. We've done pathetic. This was just a garden variety darn we should have had this loss.

Sure, but that's not pthetic. Just predictable. Pathetic is getting crushed by 20 by said bad team and not being competitive in the second half. We've done pathetic. This was just a garden variety darn we should have had this loss.
The pathetic part was the 4th quarter choke job against the GS bench. This was such a winnable game and the Kings simply pissed it away.

Now the Hayes thing -- he hurt us tonight. And if he's not ready to go he needs to sit out for a while longer to get ready. but a 6'6" offensively incompetrnt guy playing one armed isn't going to help.
i'm probably in the minority here, but i'm one of the few that didn't believe things would get better when hayes came back. watching the few games before he got hurt and these last few games, i really feel his lack of offense hurts us. i cringe every time i see him with the ball in his hand, except at the top of the key because i know he will pass. when he sets a pick, the defense knows he wont do much and back off of him. what i really looked forward to was a scrappy garbage man type player. who will get the rebounds and put it back. but it seems like i rarely see him finish and when he is fouled...well you know. i'm hoping i'm missing something with this small sample size i've seen because houston loved him for a reason. maybe i just need to see more of hayes when healthy and with cousins as opposed to hayes with hickson coming off the bench.

The culprit tonight was TO's... 18 for Kings, 8 for Warriors. The Kings actually shot a better % than the Warriors, and also shot more FT's.

Turnovers lost the game for the Kings. The end. 9 of those 18 turnovers were from DMC and Reke. That's not gonna cut it for "stars."

I was at the game. First one in years. My impressions:
Salmons didnt suck. Mostly invisible but better than his more typical role killing us. Cousins dominated early on, and I mean dominated. Looked a class above everyone. It was curious that he sat most of the 2nd quarter when he was clearly in rhythm and unstoppable. in my view, two incidents lost this game for us. One was the line up we started the 4th quarter with. Just obvious before the ball went in bounds that this crew did not have a true scorer or floor general and simply was not equipped to keep us in the game at that juncture. And that is entirely on Smart. 2nd was bringing Jimmer midway through the forth, having his man iso him, draw a double team, and kick the ball to rush in the opposite corner. Not saying it was Jimmers fault at all, but after they got beat on it once they let it happen again on the next possession, and that's when the game got away. All of a sudden the crowd was heavily into it and confidence was flowing from the warriors. Jimmer was out the next play but the damage was done. finally tyreke completely shut down curry - like a man guarding a child and that was fun. The Nate/IT battle was entertaining. We started calling Thomas "IT-man," like Donnie Yen with a handle! Good times

Can we just say that right now they are a bad team? Their bench is very poor. Which is to be expected when the owners spend ZERO to improve the team. Another year of mediocrity is on the horizon.
Which one are you referring to? The Warriors, or the Kings? Because if it were the Kings, you better check your source because the Maloofs did spend a significant amount of money. Unfortunately for the Mallofs, the team did not improve because their GM (Petrie) did not spend it wisely on players that fits the team's needs.

The culprit tonight was TO's... 18 for Kings, 8 for Warriors. The Kings actually shot a better % than the Warriors, and also shot more FT's.

Turnovers lost the game for the Kings. The end. 9 of those 18 turnovers were from DMC and Reke. That's not gonna cut it for "stars."
cherry picking stats is fun.