[Game] Game Thread: Kings vs. Nuggets 1/25

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member

Hoo boy! Last time the Kings met the Nuggets it was a beat-down of epic proportions. It was like Mike Tyson in his prime vs. pretty much anyone sort of a beat-down. The Nuggets ran the fast break like it was going out of style, and the Kings had no answer. Technically, I believe all of Denver received free tacos from Taco Bell at halftime, Whoppers from BK after three quarters, and then free Alabama Slammers from the PS Lounge on Colfax after the game was over. Oh, that was me drowning my sorrows.

Will it be more of the same tonight? Things don't look to be in our favor. Injured is the very important Marcus Thornton, who can light it up when he's healthy. Chuck Hayes is not quite back yet, and we could use his beef against the Birdman, Nene, et al. The good news is that this team's effort should be much better, as I think they were looking to give Westphal a fitting farewell last time around. Also, while the Nuggets are a good "team", they don't have that individual star that really takes a game over, which can be both good and bad. We have a chance if we keep it close.

Demarcus Cousins:
If the Kings are Smart, they would look to feed DMC early and often. I don't think their front court can handle DMC, but last time the teams met, he pretty much took himself out of the game until the end.

Tyreke Evans:
Evans will need to put some of the scoring on his shoulders and deliver what he's capable of. Ty Lawson is a pain in the butt, but he can be pushed around. I'm not sure who will guard him in this matchup, but probably Afflalo.

John Salmons:
Heh. You know it's bad when you need Salmons to step it up. Seriously, he needs to step it up.

Jason Thompson:
Clean out the cobwebs between the ears - it's not a physically dominating lineup, at least not if you're banking on a dude named Timofey. Do the dirty work and it'll be an easy double-double.

Donte Greene:
I love ya man, but you need to keep Danilo busy and off the fast break. He's a slippery sucker. When Harrington is in, watch him drift outside. And for the love of Youngman, hit the open shot!

On to the awards!
JHA - I picked on Travis Outlaw last time around, and he didn't disappoint. Why change that?
Tony Delk Memorial - Nene wants his chance; he's tanned, rested, and ready. Didn't Mozgov get career highs against this team last time? Someone else is due. My gut says: Al Harrington.
LW-VC I don't see it happening, but I'm going to give it to the Birdman anyway.
RA&1 Someone needs to take this team and put it on his back. I'm not going to blame him for trying...unless it's Salmons.

Update:
No Afflalo, Fernandez, or Mozgov for the Nuggets. That's good in terms of their backcourt, and it limits their size up front.
Update #2:
Looks like Jimmer gets the start. Go figure! As long as he works on getting his shot in rhythm, it should be good. And by good, I mean, not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe this one is going to go well. Denver plays very well as a team, making the absolute most of their talent. They're energetic and fast, and given the recurring theme of lethargy which often overcomes us, I think we'll go down big early - again.

I can only hope that I'm wrong. I'd love this one to be competitive.

For once I'd like us to actually shoot well, too. Our low average is pretty astounding.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't have much confidence either and a blow out is possible. Still, we can watch (and debate endlessly) the play of Tyreke, Cuz, and Jimmer afterwards. These three guys interest me the most as along with Thornton may provide the true core of this team for a very long time. There are lesser things to watch for. A Honeycutt sighting would be intersting although I expect nothing from him. IT continues to fight the battle that all small men fight - do they belong?

Lets keep Cousins' fouls down as keeping him on the court is crucial. Jimmer needs to hit a few long ones. As he knows that's all we want from him (and by "we" I mean the average Kings fan) it's a bit of pressure. I am not going into this game with the feeling of living or dying depending on the out come. It will be the smaller things that will keep me interested.

I haven't seen the team in a week and a half so I'm a little more excited than usual. As we have moved a little closer to Arco (forgive me), you may be able to hear me. :)

Get 'em, guys!

Edit: Gee, Spike, I didn't know you knew anything about basketball. I just thought you were here for my comic relief. :) Do you speak Gaelic?

Last edited:
Hopefully this game is a blowout so Tyler gets some burn.

haha... George Karl was struggling to think of good things to say about the Kings.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Edit: Gee, Spike, I didn't know you knew anything about basketball. I just thought you were here for my comic relief. :) Do you speak Gaelic?
I'm just full of surprises.
Although Gaelic was offered, but I didn't see why it would be of any usefulness to me. Cead mile failte is all I can think of, and that's because I frequent quite a few pubs.

Confirmed. Tyler is with the team. I just saw him high five Jimma.

omg Jimma is starting! Even tho he sucks, I get excited when he gets minutes.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Anybody else getting compression artifacts on their feed or is it just my Comcast?
I am getting artifacts but don't know what you mean. My feed goes through a tuner and I think that's going to be a problem until Friday when my tuner gets an upgrade. The reason I asked was not to show off but the installer told me a few things about some artifacts, what causes them, and what the cure is.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'm just full of surprises.
Although Gaelic was offered, but I didn't see why it would be of any usefulness to me. Cead mile failte is all I can think of, and that's because I frequent quite a few pubs.
You ARE funny!! Do I need to get a translation from Dime Dropper or will you share it with me?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I am getting artifacts but don't know what you mean. My feed goes through a tuner and I think that's going to be a problem until Friday when my tuner gets an upgrade. The reason I asked was not to show off but the installer told me a few things about some artifacts, what causes them, and what the cure is.
Well, I'm getting some blocking artifacts and some small vertical white bars (which are probably related), but it's only on the game feed, not on the commercials. Guess it's a problem on the transmission end and I'll just have to live with it.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Well, I'm getting some blocking artifacts and some small vertical white bars (which are probably related), but it's only on the game feed, not on the commercials. Guess it's a problem on the transmission end and I'll just have to live with it.
Methinks you have deduced the source and breathed a sigh of releif.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
As long as they can stop the fast break, things will be OK. Making your shots seems to help, in that regard.

LOL again... another Tyreke possession and another brick. poor guy...

hmm, timeout called. keith smart isn't happy about the lay ups.

Last edited:
They need to activate the HD channel on Dish... I'm sick of this Join In Progress crap. The one negative about really nice HD tv's is that standard definition feeds look like crap.