Does Jimmer Freddete have the skills to become the new face of the kings franchise?

while he may, it's irrelevant. We have our face of the franchise (Tyreke). Barring that we have Cousins. Jimmer wasn't drafted to be the face of the Kings, he was drafted because he is very skilled and those skills project to fit perfectly with the guys we already have.

If you mean on ads, promotion, photo ops, air time, etc. then yes they will promote Jimmer along with Cousins and Evans as the face of the Kings. Of course that won't change the out come of games but it will be in your face. Right now it doesn't have anything to do with skills.

Who knows? He's now just a 22 year old NBA rookie - who was nations leading scorer and NCAA player of the year last season. Maybe we should at least see if Jimmer has talent to be a Kings backcourt starter, but probably not in his first year. Maybe we should see if he can be a valuable reserve, play some D, before we put a tag on his face. Check back in around 2 or 3 years to see how he's progressing and hopefully he has a great rookie season - like Tyreke did.

Who knows? He's now just a 22 year old NBA rookie - who was nations leading scorer and NCAA player of the year last season. Maybe we should at least see if Jimmer has talent to be a Kings backcourt starter, but probably not in his first year. Maybe we should see if he can be a valuable reserve, play some D, before we put a tag on his face. Check back in around 2 or 3 years to see how he's progressing and hopefully he has a great rookie season - like Tyreke did.
He will be very successful if given minutes by coaching staff. Tyreke seems to get hurt alot probably because of his physical play so Jimmer should be able to step in and show what he can do. I've been frustrated with our long range shooting so this will hopefully change things. I don't think his D is going to be as much a liability as people make it out to be. Remember Mark Price, Mike Bibby, and Steve Nash. All slow and smallish guards who can't jump but are all great shooters. They all stretched the defense big time.

He will be very successful if given minutes by coaching staff. Tyreke seems to get hurt alot probably because of his physical play so Jimmer should be able to step in and show what he can do. I've been frustrated with our long range shooting so this will hopefully change things. I don't think his D is going to be as much a liability as people make it out to be. Remember Mark Price, Mike Bibby, and Steve Nash. All slow and smallish guards who can't jump but are all great shooters. They all stretched the defense big time.
They weren't just good shooters, they were very good facilitators and playmakers, Bibby being the worst of the three but still pretty good, especially when he played for Vancouver.

Guys let's take it easy on the expectations. I like Jimmer but he is not going to come in and be your superstar or anything.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Egads. Guys...Jimmer is a bit of a reach. There's a significant chance he may not even be as effective as Beno, let alone the face of the franchise. Players with his big time college scorer without an NBA position resume actually flat out flop more ofen than they make it, let alone become megastars.

Being interested in Jimmer as the new Kings rookie is one thing, suddenly propping him up on some giant pedastal above the Rekes, Cousins and Throntons of the world that are going to determine our fate...well that's a reach to say the least.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Dear lord.

Are we already forgetting about some scrubs named Tyreke, Demarcus, and Marcus? THose guys are our face. Jimmer right now is our elbow at best. Lets give it a little bit of time, guys.

I don't know if he will be the 'new face of the franchise'...but I think he'll help out ALOT! Check this out, I think it's our duty as Kings fans to watch and learn 'How To Jimmer' :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mean on ads, promotion, photo ops, air time, etc. then yes they will promote Jimmer along with Cousins and Evans as the face of the Kings. Of course that won't change the out come of games but it will be in your face. Right now it doesn't have anything to do with skills.
Yeah.

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/25/3726616/kings-pick-causes-a-sensation.html#ixzz1QJQfQhiU

We know the marketing value of Jimmer. Of course the Maloofs do as well. You also have to realize how racist people in power in the NBA think their fans are.

I don't know if he will be the 'new face of the franchise'...but I think he'll help out ALOT! Check this out, I think it's our duty as Kings fans to watch and learn 'How To Jimmer' :D

wow never knew Jimmermania is this big...don't know of too many college players with their own music video/song!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, I just made this thread because ive seen a couple of articles talking about how he would be the new face of the franchise. I disagreed but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Draft express lists his best case scenario as Mike Bibby and I tend to agree. They're both about 6'1, deceptively quick, great shooters, poor defenders, and passable point guards. That's the type of talent I think he'll be here: someone who is not quite an all-star but a very solid player nevertheless.

For those who haven't figured it out yet... Jimmer mania is in part fueled by the huge marketing machine that is the LDS Church. I got no problem with that.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The face of the franchise will be decided by time, results, and ultimately, the fans. Ownership always tries to get out in front of such things if they can, but in reality, all they can do is suggest. And ownership around the league has made mistakes as often as they've made the right choice. I disagree with Bricky a little on how many players that were great scorers in college becoming busts in the NBA. I just think when they are busts, they stand out more. But in general, guys like Durant, Bird, even Nash, who was a very good scorer in college, tend to become good scorers in the NBA. Some take more time than others. As much as everyone loves to preach defense, lets face it, the majority of the players drafted, are drafted because they can put the ball in the basket. And regardless of anything else, the team that does it the most times during a game, Wins! Not saying its right, just, thats the way it is.

I will agree though, that the players that fail, tend to come from smaller college programs, and therefore, haven't been tested against the best in college basketball. Then there's the black/white issue. Fredette, who is white, seems to be more questioned than a Marshon Brooks who is black. I know that you could say, hey, not true, Fredette was drafted much higher than Brooks. True, but I'm not talking about people in the know doing the questioning, I'm talking about the pundits around the country.

So could Fredette become the face of the franchise? Sure! Or not!! Thats for us to decide. Were the one's that pay for the tickets and buy the teeshirts. We're the one's that showup for off the court events. If Fredette can live up to his press clippings, then I could easily see him becoming the face of the franchise. And the face of the franchise doesn't have to be the best player of the franchise. He just has to be the leader on and off the floor. The spokesman if you will. I doubt that Evans will ever be the spokesman for the Kings. Just not his thing. Cousins? Maybe! But remember, although Fredette is a rookie, he's older than both Cousins and Evans. He's the most mature of the three. If he has a game to match? I guess we'll see..

Last edited:

Bricklayer

The face of the franchise is rarely referencing a PR position. Its the "vs. _____ ______ and the Sacramento Kings" guy.

And the last time an NCAA scoring leader became anybody's face of the franchise was the 60s. here's a list of them all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men's_basketball_season_scoring_leaders

In the semi-modern era (1980+) only Xavier McDaniel, Hersey Hawkins, and Glenn Robinson went on to become significant scorers in the NBA. Only Robinson since 1990...well, until Curry came along. Kurt Thomas made himself into a good defensive roleplayer. Then everybody else stank the place up, some infamously like Adma Morrison or Bo Kimble, most never even getting the cup of coffee. Its just not a good predivtor of NBA success.

The face of the franchise is rarely referencing a PR position. Its the "vs. _____ ______ and the Sacramento Kings" guy.

And the last time an NCAA scoring leader became anybody's face of the franchise was the 60s. here's a list of them all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men's_basketball_season_scoring_leaders

In the semi-modern era (1980+) only Xavier McDaniel, Hersey Hawkins, and Glenn Robinson went on to become significant scorers in the NBA. Only Robinson since 1990...well, until Curry came along. Kurt Thomas made himself into a good defensive roleplayer. Then everybody else stank the place up, some infamously like Adma Morrison or Bo Kimble, most never even getting the cup of coffee. Its just not a good predivtor of NBA success.
I'm glad you laid it out there, because I got killed for even suggesting there may be a little chink in his armor. I hope he does well and I may be wrong, but I'm having a hard time accepting the guarantees that he'll be great offensively. If the scouts didn't have any questions, he would have been a top 3 pick. And it's not just the defense. If you are dominant on the offensive end they'll still take you and just find a way cover up your defensive deficiencies as best they can, like they do for Nowitski. There was concern that Jimmers offensive usefulness wouldn't be enough to cover for his defensive questions. Doesn't mean that he won't prove everyone wrong. Just that there are questions and doubts. Now that he's ours, my fingers are crossed and hoping he can be another Curry. Only wish BYU had done what Davidson did for Curry, which was to let him play the point and showcase his play making skills for the NBA.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
But remember, although Fredette is a rookie, he's older than both Cousins and Evans. He's the most mature of the three.
This might be an overlooked, but very important, aspect of what Fredette brings, especially in terms of (potential) leadership.

Those who TEMPER the expectations for Jimmer are bound to get Jimmer'd sooner or later. It happens to all of us. Bold prediction of the day: Jimmer will be an all-star at least once in his career. There, now I won't get Jimmer'd like the rest of you doubters.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

First off, I didn't say he would be the face of the franchise, I said he could. And I wasn't talking just about a PR guy. Obviously he would have to be a very good player as well. Its not going to be Francisco Garcia. Secondly, I wasn't talking just about players that led the NCAA in scoring, but I was talking about college players that were big time scorers. And the majority of them went on to be very good scorers in the NBA. To me, the fact that he was the leading scorer is irrelevant, except maybe to some statistic keeper somewhere. A scorer is a scorer, and I doubt that there's some curse that automaticly afflects the best scorer.

It may not be a good predictor of NBA success, but if I was looking for a player that could score in the NBA, I might start with someone that could score in College. However, I'd also look at how they scored and what their other skills were. Morrison and Kimble both had holes in their game, especially on the offensive side of the ball. With Morrison, he had big holes on both sides.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm glad you laid it out there, because I got killed for even suggesting there may be a little chink in his armor. I hope he does well and I may be wrong, but I'm having a hard time accepting the guarantees that he'll be great offensively. If the scouts didn't have any questions, he would have been a top 3 pick. And it's not just the defense. If you are dominant on the offensive end they'll still take you and just find a way cover up your defensive deficiencies as best they can, like they do for Nowitski. There was concern that Jimmers offensive usefulness wouldn't be enough to cover for his defensive questions. Doesn't mean that he won't prove everyone wrong. Just that there are questions and doubts. Now that he's ours, my fingers are crossed and hoping he can be another Curry. Only wish BYU had done what Davidson did for Curry, which was to let him play the point and showcase his play making skills for the NBA.
I haven't heard one scout or GM question Fredette's ability offensively. And anyone that saw him play wouldn't. Defensively, thats another matter and not to be sneezed at. But trust me, if Fredette was 6'5" with the same skills he would have been a higher pick. But he's not! He's around 6'2", and that makes him a PG, and a PG with question marks about his ability to be a true PG. And he's 22 years old. If he had the same skills and he was 19 years old, he probably would have gone higher.

I think he'll do just fine playing the point. But there are no sure things, and when you taking a guy at 5 or above, you try and hedge your bet as much as possible. I think thats why Knight dropped. Teams would rather make a mistake with a gamble on a big man than a little man. Anyway, those are the reasons he wasn't drafted any higher. The reason he was drafted as high as he was, was because of his offensive skills.

I haven't heard one scout or GM question Fredette's ability offensively. And anyone that saw him play wouldn't. Defensively, thats another matter and not to be sneezed at. But trust me, if Fredette was 6'5" with the same skills he would have been a higher pick. But he's not! He's around 6'2", and that makes him a PG, and a PG with question marks about his ability to be a true PG. And he's 22 years old. If he had the same skills and he was 19 years old, he probably would have gone higher.

I think he'll do just fine playing the point. But there are no sure things, and when you taking a guy at 5 or above, you try and hedge your bet as much as possible. I think thats why Knight dropped. Teams would rather make a mistake with a gamble on a big man than a little man. Anyway, those are the reasons he wasn't drafted any higher. The reason he was drafted as high as he was, was because of his offensive skills.
I can accept this. This is why I wish BYU had helped him out a bit and given him the PG title. Let him showcase those skills a little more. It would have put to rest some of these criticisms or doubts. Curry being my example of how that was done.

I'm not saying he can't score in the NBA either. However, I've questioned just how easily he can "create" his own shot in the NBA like he did in college as everyone says he can. I'm not even sure that I care if he can create off the dribble or not either. Not when we have Tyreke, Salmons and Thornton who do this fine. Which is why I think he fits in with our team well and I'm not upset we drafted him. Become a great pick and roll player, I'll be happy. Hang out at the 3 point line and let Tyreke penetrate and kick and I'll be happy. If he's turns into a Bibby type of player, I'm more than content.

Bricklayer

The key is going to be his ability to do things OTHER than score. Because yes, many college scorers can go on and score in the NBA...if some team wants to win 10 games on the year just throwing the ball to an undersized (by NBA standards) chucker guard and letting him play Iverson like he did in college. Size/inability to compete with the larger men out on the court around him in ways other than chucking has probably doomed more Steve Alfords, Dajuan Wagners and Eddie Houses than any other. The combo guard 1/2 college chucker has always been a huge source of busts. Guys who are SG at heart, but in the NBA simply have to be PGs. Now that does not have to be Jimmer's fate. And here at least, realistic or not, he should be clinging to those Stephen Curry comparisons They don't all fail. But its a huge source of it. Its always that not big enough/lacks a position/ability to defend/rebound/pass etc. stuff that kills the college scorers. If Jimmer wants to go down as more than a footnote, he's got to show he can excel at things other than scoring, because everybody in the NBA can score. In particular at Jimmer's size the ability to create shots for others is going to be key. Otherwise one day he could end up checking Quincy Douby in the Chinese League.

I actually do have an odd sort of confidence Jimmer can be a decent player. It ws pretty amazing when another poster raised the name of Matt Maloney, whom I went to school with and checked in a few pick up games (make that TRIED to check) because it was exactly the comparison that came to mind for me. Something about the way they both moved. But franchise player? I mean, name the NBA franchise player who has evr resembled Jimmer at all.

Last edited:
Jimmer doesn't need to be the franchise player. We already have Cousins and Evans. The fanboys need to stop. He can certainly be effective in the Beno role, and if he is, he won't be a bust.