Yahoo Rumor: Raymond Felton?

I thought the more interesting piece was that the hawks are gauging interest in Josh Smith. I would love to see him in black and purple! Dude is only 26 and would lock down our SF position for awhile. This is clearly too good to be true however...

I think Kings have been interested in Felton before. Won't hurt, but what do we give up?
The Kings could trade just about anyone for Felton as long as the salary is comparable or lower than Felton's. So Felton for (insert any Kings' name here) would work; but whom? I cannot imagine Denver wants Beno. Is he worth Francisco? Omri or Donte might be an option; I guess, if the Kings draft a SF, one of Francisco, Omri, or Donte would be on their way out. Whiteside should be kept on ice as a project and Jeter could be traded, but would Denver want to do a Felton for Jeter or Omri trade? I would think they would just for the cap room.

The Kings could trade just about anyone for Felton as long as the salary is comparable or lower than Felton's. So Felton for (insert any Kings' name here) would work; but whom? I cannot imagine Denver wants Beno. Is he worth Francisco? Omri or Donte might be an option; I guess, if the Kings draft a SF, one of Francisco, Omri, or Donte would be on their way out. Whiteside should be kept on ice as a project and Jeter could be traded, but would Denver want to do a Felton for Jeter or Omri trade? I would think they would just for the cap room.
Um, yeah. Felton is a better player than Garcia. No doubt about that. The question is why the heck would Denver do that trade? They make similar money per year but Garcia has one more year on his contract than Felton does.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
hey, at least the rumors are consistent -- people apparently think we want every ball dominant can-defend but can't shoot PG in the league. Next up will be Rondo rumors. Of course few of these rumors give any thought to exactly where/how we would play such a creature if we had him. Beno's minutes presumably.

hey, at least the rumors are consistent -- people apparently think we want every ball dominant can-defend but can't shoot PG in the league. Next up will be Rondo rumors. Of course few of these rumors give any thought to exactly where/how we would play such a creature if we had him. Beno's minutes presumably.
What do you mean by ball dominant? When I think of ball dominant PGs I think Westbrook or Rose, not Felton. Felton only takes about 12 SPG compared to 14 for Westbrook and 17 for Rose.

No interest in Felton from me whatsoever. I respect his talent, but I dont think he is a great fit for this team. And the LAST thing I want to do is create a logjam of guards where everyone is fighting for minutes with no one being able to get in a rhythm. Felton would create that for sure. Its one thing to bring in a rookie guard to mess with the Thornton/Beno/Evans trio .. but bringing in a proven ( and highly paid ) veteran to that mix? no thanks. If we decide to get rid of Beno or something then Ok. I actually like Beno more than Felton, but I can at least understand that argument.

As for Fords trade, I still wouldnt do it so long as Beno is on our team. I'm not super against it though, because we do pick up the #22 pick in a deep draft ( deep meaning the gap between #7 and #22 isnt huge ) but I'm still just not sold on Felton. Plus he only has one year left on his deal ... I dont think a Felton rental, when we dont even need him, is worth moving that many spots down .. especially if someone good slides (Kanter/Knight).

Bricklayer

What do you mean by ball dominant? When I think of ball dominant PGs I think Westbrook or Rose, not Felton. Felton only takes about 12 SPG compared to 14 for Westbrook and 17 for Rose.
every pure PG is almost by definition ball dominant. Chris Paul is one of the most ball dominant players in the league. The difference with guys like Miller and Felton is that they can't do much WITHOUT the ball. You could theoretically take the ball out of Nash's ahnds and he could at least shoot. Probably be lost out there, but he's still a shooter. But a Felton or Miller...they have to dominate the ball to contribute. Its what they do. And that's a problem when you have young stars like Cousins and Evans on the team competing for that ball. There is a reason Derek Fisher was the "PG" next to Shaq and Kobe.

Felton could work next to Amare, because Amare is just a finisher. He does not create. Other star Felton could fit smoothly next to would be Dirk, Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, amongst the guards maybe Kevin Martin etc. Guys he would not fit next to include LeBron/Wade and all players of that ilk.

every pure PG is almost by definition ball dominant. Chris Paul is one of the most ball dominant players in the league. The difference with guys like Miller and Felton is that they can't do much WITHOUT the ball. You could theoretically take the ball out of Nash's ahnds and he could at least shoot. Probably be lost out there, but he's still a shooter. But a Felton or Miller...they have to dominate the ball to contribute. Its what they do. And that's a problem when you have young stars like Cousins and Evans on the team competing for that ball. There is a reason Derek Fisher was the "PG" next to Shaq and Kobe.

Felton could work next to Amare, because Amare is just a finisher. He does not create. Other star Felton could fit smoothly next to would be Dirk, Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, amongst the guards maybe Kevin Martin etc. Guys he would not fit next to include LeBron/Wade and all players of that ilk.
So who would you say would be an ideal PG to play with Cousins and Evans?

Bricklayer

actually not even him.

Stockton was perfect for Malone. And Malone, structurally is a lot like Dirk or Amare etc. Finisher not creater.

And as far as perfect for Evans and Cousins? Not a pure PG. Or I guess actually a perfect fit would be a pure PG...who also just so happened to be great off the ball. Which largely does not exist. But anyway, if you look at the guys somewhat similar to Evans, whether you call him a big offensive minded PG ala Rose or Westbrook or a Wade/Kobe/MJ type of ball dominant SG, those guys do NOT work with pure PGs, because pure PGs take the ball out of their hands. There is only 1 ball. And if you look at a Cousins, who is a great passer and may very well end up being a Vlade/Webber style creator as a big man, who have the Princeton PGs always been (the short JWill experiment aside)? Shooters, pick and roll PGs. NOT people who dribble around the whole clock looking to create something for somebody. Because they don't have to. Cousins creates things for himself and others. Evans creates for both himself and others. They both need the ball to do it. All a PG needs to do in those situations is bring the ball up, get it to the right people, and then excel at getting shots created for him as much as he excels at creating them for others.

Agreed. As disgusting as it sounds, this team needs to build itself not too unlike the Shaq/Kobe era Lakers. We need a Derek Fisher and a Robert Horry. :eek:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
What's wrong with Beno?
Oddly enough, not much. It'd be nicer if his outside shot was more consistent, but Beno & Evans complemented each other well. I'm not saying that Beno will always be a perfect fit (selfishly, I see Fredette as the long term solution), but he's done OK so far. Defensively, if Beno were a little more stout, then I would argue he'd be a great long-term solution.

What's wrong with Beno?
My biggest problem with Beno is that he is only an average shooter outside of about 18 feet. Throw in the fact that he is a much better shooter off the dibble that as a catch-&-shoot player, and it means that he does little to help spread the floor on offense. That is the biggest reason the Kings need more 3pt shooters. It opens up the paint for cousins and Tyreke.

Beno's not that bad of a shooter, but the difference between a Fisher type and Beno is that Fisher made a living by spreading the court. Being a spot shooter is incredibly important. Beno much like Tyreke is more comfortable gathering himself and making a move rather than shooting the ball quickly. That transition time from gathering himself virtually eliminates himself from being a player perimeter defenders have to stick to and therefore allows them to cheat inside and help. He's a good off the dribble shooter but having nothing but off the dribble shooters is a terrible way to attempt to spread the floor for the very reason I mention above.

That plus while people may have forgotten because he's fallen so far in this area, Fisher was quite the defensive player back in the day.

Bricklayer

Beno's not that bad of a shooter, but the difference between a Fisher type and Beno is that Fisher made a living by spreading the court. Being a spot shooter is incredibly important. Beno much like Tyreke is more comfortable gathering himself and making a move rather than shooting the ball quickly. That transition time from gathering himself virtually eliminates himself from being a player perimeter defenders have to stick to and therefore allows them to cheat inside and help. He's a good off the dribble shooter but having nothing but off the dribble shooters is a terrible way to attempt to spread the floor for the very reason I mention above.
That's very much on point.

I doubt he does either, but I'm not so sure the Lakers care and his production was really down this year (and his impact low in the playoffs -- a definite liability defensively).

Course they might want to keep him around just for leadership.

I doubt he does either, but I'm not so sure the Lakers care and his production was really down this year (and his impact low in the playoffs -- a definite liability defensively).

Course they might want to keep him around just for leadership.
That's more reason he can't help the Kings at this stage though. The dude is pretty much done.