Arena drawing on City website

Glenn

Hall of Famer
http://www.cityofsacramento.org/arena/images/arena_ESC_2499x1136.jpg

Too large to paste directly. It's a different concept than previous. It's more modern than retro like Conseco. I like it, but I like retro better.
I like it also. It looks like a mother ship from a gay planet and that's not a bad thing. It has some uniqueness that I like. This would serve the purpose of the long note I wrote elsewhere. It certainly would effect the architecture of any additions to the area. Where's Jim Les when we need him?

I want something that will draw the thought of "gee, that's interesting" from a passerby.

I like it. I like the fact that is has tons of glazing (glass). People from the exterior can see people in the interior walking around and using the escalators and what not. People will want to go inside and check it out. Ok. let's build. :cool:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm not under the impression that any architectural plans are finalized by any means, but I think this is the right direction. There are several aspects that I do like. I think the high-glass ratio will work well. The asymmetry in the building is also a nice aspect - I know that at PBP I'm never quite sure which entrance I went in unless I take note. Running the light rail directly in front of the building is a good idea, I think, because it will strongly encourage alternatives to driving and thereby reduce the cost/need of parking garages. And for some reason, the multi-tiered outdoor restaurants across the street overlooking the arena are a very nice touch for me. Just seems like a place you'd want to eat. Seems like a place you can't afford to eat, but a place you'd like to eat.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
What size font is that for "Sacramento Kings?" :) I presume that's where the branding goes but I kinda like that. Over the top is OK with me especially when we can't afford REAL over the top. This thing better get built. I think it might bring back a little pride to the city and although you can't measure that in dollars and cents, businesses thinking of moving here might put some value on it.

We have the right mayor, the right designer, the right GM, and maybe even the right team to make things a whole lot more fun around here. Mucho props to the city council for the direction they are going.

I AM excited.

Last edited:
It looks like they have split up the arena facility and the train station. In the previous version they had a concourse shared. So I'm guessing they moved the arena site west and closer to the I-5 freeway deck. Then going forward with the intermodal terminal connection the existing train station and the relocated tracks. It's a nice use of the land and puts the big arena over a bit to hide the ugly freeway. I think that is a wise move. Probably had to lose the new hotel on the site or maybe it was moved elsewhere.

Last edited:
It looks like they have split up the arena facility and the train station. In the previous version they had a concourse shared. So I'm guessing they moved the arena site west and closer to the I-5 freeway deck. Then going forward with the intermodal terminal connection the existing train station and the relocated tracks. It's a nice use of the land and puts the big arena over a bit to hide the ugly freeway. I think that is a wise move. Probably had to lose the new hotel on the site or maybe it was moved elsewhere.
I'd have to go try and find it, but the city met with some group for comments on the rail yard development plans. Someone said they should not make the inter-model transit center monolithic right at that location, because it would essentially block off the whole rail yards area visually from the rest of downtown. You want a clear connection and visually draw people into the rail yards. I agree. The suggestion was to have a public square around which different transportation points would be located. I tend to agree with that view.

I'm excited! I'm raring to go!

Last edited:
I'd have to go try and find it, but the citymet with some group for comments on the rail yard development plans. Someone said they should not make the intermodel transit center monolithic and right at that lovcation, because it would essentially visually block off the whole rail yards area visually from the rest of dowtown. You want a clear connection and visually draw people into the rail yards. I agree. The suggestion was to have a public square around which different transporation point would be located. I tend to agree with that view.

I'm excited! I'm raring to go!
That was the ULI Daniel Rose Center group that came to town back in February. I watched their presentation online at the city website. And they were correct in pointing that out. Although most of that discussion was more related to the stacked up rail platforms for the high speed rail, the same applies to the arena. Moving it off to the side blocks the ugly view of the freeway and onramp a good deal.

So this is a view as if we were on I-5 looking in, correct? Or is that I-5 in the back left?
Upon further review, it is directly north of the train station and not next to I-5. The greyed out building on the left matches the eastern most annex of the train station. I looked at the door, window and roofing and it matches that part of the train station. I think you just can't see the rest of the station in the drawing.

Last edited:
...just saw it...

Holy ****!

I like how it says Sacramento right on the outside in light white. Since it is a train terminus, it kind of harkens like the name of the stop. Linking the modern design to Sacramento's railroad history, and identity as a crossroads.

Last edited:
What's Fox40 trying to say, that they just copied the design?

What modern stadium isn't round-like with a mass amount of windows. It's just convention of current stadium design.

Last edited: