Trading Tyreke... Unthinkable?

McGrady signed away as a free agent. And really he had not had a star season at that point either.

It occurs to me Zo Mourning was traded after his thrid year back in the 90s, but he was was swapped for another star (Glen Rice) and if I recall correctly he forced their hand. I'm reaching nearly 20 years back to find examples, because its just not done.
Past precedent isn't everything. You don't hang up on a GM with those reasons. You don't go back to Zo when you are confronted with a trade. You look at the landscape of the NBA as it is currently, you look at your players and you look at the players you want. If it makes sense today, I don't care if "it's just not done (which reeks of old man thinking)." Conversely, if it doesn't make sense, I'm not going to be swayed by "it's always been done like this." If the purpsoe of a Tyreke trade is to get a higher spot in this year's draft, hell no. But to shut yourself off from trades because "it's just not done?" Preposterous.

Past precedent isn't everything. You don't hang up on a GM with those reasons. You don't go back to Zo when you are confronted with a trade. You look at the landscape of the NBA as it is currently, you look at your players and you look at the players you want. If it makes sense today, I don't care if "it's just not done (which reeks of old man thinking)." Conversely, if it doesn't make sense, I'm not going to be swayed by "it's always been done like this." If the purpsoe of a Tyreke trade is to get a higher spot in this year's draft, hell no. But to shut yourself off from trades because "it's just not done?" Preposterous.
But we've been searching for a star ever since C-Webb left (and even before he left he wasn't the player he used to be). It looks like we now have that player, and you're open to trading him after just 2 years in the league? If it's for another bona fide star, then sure, go ahead and consider it. But why else?

It seems that quite a few people in this thread thought that I was recommending that we trade Tyreke for a draft pick in this draft. I didn't say anything about that. When I was mentioning a trade for this draft, I was talking about packaging Casspi and #7 for #2. (I know that is an EXTREME longshot).

Anyways, I never said anything about trading Tyreke for a player in this draft.

I was saying that if we get one of these three guys with whatever pick we end up with: Irving, Knight or Walker, then we might want to actually consider the unthinkable.

It seems that quite a few people in this thread thought that I was recommending that we trade Tyreke for a draft pick in this draft. I didn't say anything about that. When I was mentioning a trade for this draft, I was talking about packaging Casspi and #7 for #2. (I know that is an EXTREME longshot).

Anyways, I never said anything about trading Tyreke for a player in this draft.

I was saying that if we get one of these three guys with whatever pick we end up with: Irving, Knight or Walker, then we might want to actually consider the unthinkable.
If you're implying that we'd have too many guards, then why trade the best one we have? That's usually not how it works

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Old man thinking is also = know how it works/am not an inexperienced rookie going off half cocked thinking.

There is a REASON its not done. And its not out of random tradition. Its because you, for the moment playing the inexperienced rookie, don't understand what the "old men" who have perspective do. And the "old men" who do, in this case meaning virtually every GM in the modern history of the game, understand just how overwhelmingly valuable young stars in the league are, how difficult it is to acquire them, and how idiotic it would be to trade one away because some minority subset of your fandom just doesn't get it.

I understand the Francis fears somewhat, but...

Also, I believe that Tyreke will NEVER be a "true" point guard. He can be a scoring point guard that will find his teammates on occasion, but he's not a pass first guy. I don't want a combo guard running my point, no matter how good he is at driving to the basket for layups. I want a facilitator at the point.
The Bulls better trade that Derrick Rose cat, then, he's not taking them anywhere.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't think precedent is the issue. Whether a trade makes sense is the issue. In the past, it has never made sense to trade a stud on the rise.

Money is a big part of the issue. The biggest bargains in the NBA are the studs on the rise. To trade for a veteran of similar or equal basketball skills results in an expensive player. If the point is that there is always the trade that is the kind of steal that would make a tade of Reke remotely make sense, do it. But how likely is that? Anything is possible but this falls into the category that is very, very close to " it's never done."

The littany of reasons for not trading him has been said over and over. The only issue that even gives me a hint of worry about how Reke will evolve is his feet and with proper care and his willingness to do what trainers and medical type tell him, it isn't weighing heavily in my mind.

Old man thinking is also = know how it works/am not an inexperienced rookie going off half cocked thinking.

There is a REASON its not done. And its not out of random tradition. Its because you, for the moment playing the inexperienced rookie, don't understand what the "old men" who have perspective do. And the "old men" who do, in this case meaning virtually every GM in the modern history of the game, understand just how overwhelmingly valuable young stars in the league are, how difficult it is to acquire them, and how idiotic it would be to trade one away because some minority subset of your fandom just doesn't get it.
Some minority subset doesn't get it, mainstream media doesn't get it, East coast bias doesn't get it, other teams don't get it, analysts don't get it, but KF.com that has been frothing at the mouth waiting desperately for a shooting star to come to Sacramento gets it? Get off the high horse. You guys are so quick to annoint him the next coming of Wade. I'm saying, not so fast. I see that he is a bull. I see that he has absolutely advanced body control and shot making in the paint. I give the "majority" all of his pros. Why does no one accept the cons using the same metrics? It absolutely boggles me. He does not have elite athleticism, he does not have elite playmaking. He does not control the game. Can he be a true leader? Recently, it seems as if his feet and ankles are built for brisk walking around hte mall at 8am. He has large question marks. Question marks that he can answer easily, but for now, they exist. He has superstar skill. I'm not sure if he has the superstar mindset.

I'm also saying that we should never continue tradition for tradition's sake alone. I'm not saying trade Tyreke. I'm not saying to take some 31 year old probable future HOF for him. I'm saying we should look at all trade requests on their own merit and how it impacts the NBA today, not adhere to some unwritten rule of the past and tunnel vision your way through it. How can you be against that?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Well, I'd rather my team run the motion offense vs any offense run with Steve Nash or Chris Paul.
I think people forget that pgs have different roles in different offenses despite numerous notes that have pointed that out. He is still working on fitting in with this offense but if this is him struggling, I look forward to the conclusion of the struggle. :)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Anthony, you have completely lost it. You're only thinking about things on the offensive end, and then even with that, you're still thinking wrong.

And again, why people think anyone above 6'3" can't be a pg. It's like they see someone short and automatically call them a PG.

Yeah, that guy Magic realy sucked because he was too tall..

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Yeah, that guy Magic realy sucked because he was too tall..
Pfft. What good is a player gifted enough to play all 5 positions? If he were truly gifted, he would have excelled at one position - PG. AND, he would have been 4 inches shorter.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No player is untradable. Everyone has a price, every player has a deal that would be stupid not to jump on.

Tyreke and Casspi for Blake, Gordon and a number 1 unprotected pick. Do you do that?

For every player, there is a conceivable package that you would trade that player for. Would it be realistic? Judging by KF, no realistic trade for Tyreke will ever come about. Tyreke for God, Jesus, Buddha, Allah and the expiring of Judas would be deemed unfair.

The point is that if you can make a ridiculous trade package that you would do, then there exists a less ridiculous package. Keep sliding down that scale until you say no. It's calculus.
I believe that everything has a price. Except my soul, which is not for sale. So I would never say that there's no deal I wouldn't consider. If the Clips called me up and asked if I would trade Tyreke straight up for Griffin, I'd have to think about that one. I also know thats not going to happen. Now I'm sure there are teams around the league that covet Evans. And I'm also sure, that the chance of any of them offering anything I'd jump on is extremely remote. Most team are going to try and get him for as little as possible, and I'm going to try and get more than he's worth. Thats because I need to cover my A$$ if I make a deal like that.

So while this is a fun exercise, the reality of it happening is very remote. Plus I think its a mistake to trade away any player after just 2 years. Especially at a position that usually takes 4 to 5 years to really blossom. Unless your Oscar Robertson of course.

The bigger concern than who fits next to Evans is who fits with Cousins. Who's going to throw it into the post get it back then throw it right back on the repost? Who's going to pick and roll with Cuz? Who's hitting the jumpers when Cuz kicks it out?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The bigger concern than who fits next to Evans is who fits with Cousins. Who's going to throw it into the post get it back then throw it right back on the repost? Who's going to pick and roll with Cuz? Who's hitting the jumpers when Cuz kicks it out?
We began to see some good interaction between Reke and Cuz in the final month of the season, but I think the obvious thing would be to have Thornton and Cuz over there on the same side of the floor, let him provide the entry passes, and then shift out to provide space and keep his man from doubling wiht his three point threat. When Beno comes in, he can take over that role.

Voyager seemed a little more action oriented with some awesome new races and stuff.. It had limitless posibilities. Really enjoy that series. Have every season and watch them once a night every night until I get through the series then start over.

As for TNG I do know every single episode too lol. I tivo it every night. It's just getting too old fashion for me. They need to make a new one.

I LOVED DS9 when the dominion war started. Was awesome to see the politics going on and stuff. Before the dominion war it was so-so.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Voyager seemed a little more action oriented with some awesome new races and stuff.. It had limitless posibilities. Really enjoy that series. Have every season and watch them once a night every night until I get through the series then start over.

As for TNG I do know every single episode too lol. I tivo it every night. It's just getting too old fashion for me. They need to make a new one.

I LOVED DS9 when the dominion war started. Was awesome to see the politics going on and stuff. Before the dominion war it was so-so.
I hve absolutely no idea what a dominion war is.

If you're implying that we'd have too many guards, then why trade the best one we have? That's usually not how it works
Well, it's more of trade the piece that doesn't fit, and also trade the piece that is going to bring you the most value in return. Again, I'm not talking about giving Tyreke up in a fire sale scenario. Even if the Kings management agreed with my thinking, they would start off next season giving Tyreke ridiculous minutes, and call tons of plays for him, make sure his numbers are thru the roof, and then start shopping him discretely, just seeing if anybody out there is so in love that we could maybe nab two key starters plus a No.1 draft pick. Something along those lines.

Again, this is certainly a long shot type scenario, but I'm just saying that eventually this 3 guard situation is going to be a problem. It's kinda like a quarterback controversy thing in football. If the 49ers do resign Alex Smith, all year long they are going to deal with quarterback controversy situations, with people in the media constantly talking about when is so and so going to get their chance. While it will be different for basketball, it's going to be one of those things that is constantly boiling under the surface with our team. 3 big time guards (assuming we draft a point this year), with only two starting spots to be occupied. I'm not even talking about Beno. Beno is the best guy we have that we can put at the point right now, and I honestly like the way Thornton meshes with Beno more so than Tyreke and Beno. Tyreke and Beno just seems so awkward when they are both out there. I feel sorry for Beno, cause I know that he should have the ball in his hands more, but he has to defer to the "ROTY" guy with all the publicity.

So, it's kinda crazy, even if we don't draft another PG, because we do already have Beno, and we do already have somewhat of a problem with minutes at the 2 spot to be divvied up. Yet, imagine that we draft one more point guard into the mix. Then what? We'll have two guys Beno and our draft pick, that won't be getting anywhere near the minutes we should, and often it will be Reke and Thornton out there even though they are the least compatible pair. (we'll Reke and Walker would be even more incompatible I guess, lol)

Tyreke is a great talent, and it's unfortunate that he has this particular talent, that while amazing, he's the type of player that we are going to have to fit EVERYTHING else around. It's so much easier when you have a guy that can fit around whatever players surround him, but with Reke, he's a special case. His game has a particular style to it, that is hard to find the right compatible player to put alongside him. No matter how great a talent he is, if we never find the right backcourt mate to pair him up with, then we will continue to have this undercurrent of discontent in the backcourt logjam that is destined to rear it's ugly head.

Well, it's more of trade the piece that doesn't fit, and also trade the piece that is going to bring you the most value in return. Again, I'm not talking about giving Tyreke up in a fire sale scenario. Even if the Kings management agreed with my thinking, they would start off next season giving Tyreke ridiculous minutes, and call tons of plays for him, make sure his numbers are thru the roof, and then start shopping him discretely, just seeing if anybody out there is so in love that we could maybe nab two key starters plus a No.1 draft pick. Something along those lines.

Again, this is certainly a long shot type scenario, but I'm just saying that eventually this 3 guard situation is going to be a problem. It's kinda like a quarterback controversy thing in football. If the 49ers do resign Alex Smith, all year long they are going to deal with quarterback controversy situations, with people in the media constantly talking about when is so and so going to get their chance. While it will be different for basketball, it's going to be one of those things that is constantly boiling under the surface with our team. 3 big time guards (assuming we draft a point this year), with only two starting spots to be occupied. I'm not even talking about Beno. Beno is the best guy we have that we can put at the point right now, and I honestly like the way Thornton meshes with Beno more so than Tyreke and Beno. Tyreke and Beno just seems so awkward when they are both out there. I feel sorry for Beno, cause I know that he should have the ball in his hands more, but he has to defer to the "ROTY" guy with all the publicity.

So, it's kinda crazy, even if we don't draft another PG, because we do already have Beno, and we do already have somewhat of a problem with minutes at the 2 spot to be divvied up. Yet, imagine that we draft one more point guard into the mix. Then what? We'll have two guys Beno and our draft pick, that won't be getting anywhere near the minutes we should, and often it will be Reke and Thornton out there even though they are the least compatible pair. (we'll Reke and Walker would be even more incompatible I guess, lol)

Tyreke is a great talent, and it's unfortunate that he has this particular talent, that while amazing, he's the type of player that we are going to have to fit EVERYTHING else around. It's so much easier when you have a guy that can fit around whatever players surround him, but with Reke, he's a special case. His game has a particular style to it, that is hard to find the right compatible player to put alongside him. No matter how great a talent he is, if we never find the right backcourt mate to pair him up with, then we will continue to have this undercurrent of discontent in the backcourt logjam that is destined to rear it's ugly head.
What's wrong with a good 3 guard rotation? Would you prefer to have a shallow 2 guard rotation with Pooh Jeter as your main option off the bench? Good lord. A Beno/Thornton back court would have opposing teams just absolutely salivating at the defensive sieve standing between them and the basket every night. No offense, but you're doing the other teams a favor by dealing Tyreke. So maybe you should be pitching bad ideas on other teams' forums, sending their talents our way. I'm not sure why people continue to look for a misfit when there isn't one. There is an undeveloped talent there that just completed its second year of growth, and it was hardly that, considering his injuries.

Beno is not some burgeoning sleeping giant of a talent being held back by big bad Tyreke, yet you make him sound incredible. He's in his late 20s -- we know exactly what he is by now, and that is a great combo guard off the bench who shouldn't be starting because he gets burned by nearly every single opposing starting PG in the league. As a second line talent, he's one of the better ones. Again, stop looking to create misfits when there isn't one. Just because you're pitching an idea on a public forum doesn't mean it's a valid one.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Following this logic, if we draft Biyombo, we should look into trading Demarcus because his game doesn't fit in with the rest of our big men (too good at offense) and we have to (for the sake of the argument I'm going to avoid saying that we could possibly want to structure an offense around him) build our offense around him. He's fat, slow, can't dunk like Blake Griffin, and doesn't play defense as good as Tim Duncan did in his first year in the league. I feel sorry for Samuel Dalembert because he has to defer to the star rookie.

This entire thread as it is deserves

The David Kahn Stamp of Approval

Now find me a way to trade Tyreke for Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, or MJ in their primes and then we're talking.