Maloofs To Lobby NBA In Sacramento

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This change of attitude really bothers me. It is very disappointing and surprising to me. These great supporters of Sacramento ($17 mil donated) have now turned their backs completely. They truly were great for the city and seemed happy to be involved. It is especially bothersome if they won't even be a part of the effort to build an arena. I envison an extended sit down chat with KJ, Burkle, ICON and the Maloofs. Why not? It seems like something is going on beyond even what we know and we all know a LOT. Pure speculation: is the Samueli loan accompanied with a promise to turn their back totally on Sacramento either concretely asked for or implied? Maybe they don't want another big dog in this town like Burkle.

I have written to the relocation committee using the addresses that were posted. Whether these notes will get to the individuals is not clear. If the Maloofs can lobby, I can lobby. My net worth may be more than theirs. :)

This change of attitude really bothers me. It is very disappointing and surprising to me. These great supporters of Sacramento ($17 mil donated) have now turned their backs completely. They truly were great for the city and seemed happy to be involved. It is especially bothersome if they won't even be a part of the effort to build an arena. I envison an extended sit down chat with KJ, Burkle, ICON and the Maloofs. Why not? It seems like something is going on beyond even what we know and we all know a LOT. Pure speculation: is the Samueli loan accompanied with a promise to turn their back totally on Sacramento either concretely asked for or implied? Maybe they don't want another big dog in this town like Burkle.

I have written to the relocation committee using the addresses that were posted. Whether these notes will get to the individuals is not clear. If the Maloofs can lobby, I can lobby. My net worth may be more than theirs. :)
Yeah, something about it stinks. They've got the whole city bending over backwards to make it financially viable for them to stay and yet it still seems like they can't get out of town fast enough. It makes so little sense because I've seen nothing about the Anaheim deal that looks much better than what they can get here. There simply has to be more luring them there than we know about.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The article was pretty vague, but all it said was one of the Maloofs will meet with the Relocation Committee in Sac. I expect them to keep tabs on the situation, but I think it could mean they're interested in the proposals in Sac. Would make sense given they met with Webber in Vegas on saturday. I don't think the article automatically suggests something bad for us.

we'll just have to get everything in order for them so when they visit they see that we have the financial power and will to make things happen and that clearly our market is better then whats offered with the the LA move

The article was pretty vague, but all it said was one of the Maloofs will meet with the Relocation Committee in Sac. I expect them to keep tabs on the situation, but I think it could mean they're interested in the proposals in Sac. Would make sense given they met with Webber in Vegas on saturday. I don't think the article automatically suggests something bad for us.
"Gavin will lobby the relocation committee in Sacramento later this week, CBS13 has learned."

I'd like to share your optimism, but that doesn't sound like he's coming just to keep tabs.

I think the city should tell the Maloofs "We would appreciate that they not interfere with our business" because it's "below the belt".

Yeah, something about it stinks. They've got the whole city bending over backwards to make it financially viable for them to stay and yet it still seems like they can't get out of town fast enough. It makes so little sense because I've seen nothing about the Anaheim deal that looks much better than what they can get here. There simply has to be more luring them there than we know about.
It looks pretty obvious to me the Maloofs are completly broke and need money NOW. Anahiem is willing to hand over big sums of cash to them now. If they stay here they stay broke until a later date. I think the Maloofs are desperate! Straight up, they are screwed if they don't get money fast!

Uh, I think you read that entirely wrong. What I read was the Maloofs were lobbying their relocation request to the relocation committee this week in sacramento.

It looks pretty obvious to me the Maloofs are completly broke and need money NOW. Anahiem is willing to hand over big sums of cash to them now. If they stay here they stay broke until a later date. I think the Maloofs are desperate! Straight up, they are screwed if they don't get money fast!
Problem is the money from Anaheim IS A LOAN... and the league does not take very kindly on taking in loans... I pity them not because its their own fault. and the owners better not pity them.. the deal for anaheim benefits the maloofs and not any one else. at least that's what it looks like...

Uh, I think you read that entirely wrong. What I read was the Maloofs were lobbying their relocation request to the relocation committee this week in sacramento.
which makes me think are they trying to convince the comittee while they are assessing the arena proposal of ICON that Sacramento just doesnt have what it takes? or are they rushing things so they wont be able to focus on reassesing sacramento because they are there.

this is a RUSHED work... on their behalf, and its just going to look like they are just too eager to get out.

KJ ought to watch this like a hawk. and why can't they wait till the deadline? unless they don't want something to be uncovered and say here... all the details regarding the deal don't bother looking into deeper details we simplified it for you...

How, oh how, can you take the team out of this market when there is someone who is saying they can make it work...? The vast majority of the NBA thinks the Kings belong in Sac. It seems that there needs to be a compelling reason to take them out of their home market. The Maloofs are trying to say that an NBA franchise can't be viable in Sac...which has been completely invalidated by a multi-billionaire who wants to buy the team.

it would be a PR nightmare for the league if they let the kings leave sacramento, they cannot afford another Seattle incident. just makes the league look bad on how they treat smaller market teams and the fanbase

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
For one reason or another, the Maloofs have made their mind up. They clearly want out of Sacramento, regardless of the circumstances.

I think in part that attitude is born out of the frustration of trying to get an arena deal done in Sacramento, and having no faith that it can be done, even now.

But I think the larger issue is that they really are emotion driven optimists who have all bought into the notion that Anaheim and the OC is some panacea that will cure all their ills and fill their pockets. I would wager a large sum that they're even convinced that with a young team poised to break out if things go right, when Kobe declines and ultimately retires that they'll be in prime position to be the best team in Southern California and establish a new legacy etc etc. I really believe that while they have to at least be cognizant of the worst case scenarios, they are the kind of guys that are transfixed by the best outcome and really think it's the most likely one.

As for money troubles, I have no idea. Obviously they are struggling. Is there an under the table personal loan agreement with Samueli? Perhaps. And that would clearly be a big red flag for the NBA.

But obviously there's some huge draw for them. Because there's the NBA relocation fee, the loan via bonds from Anaheim and the repayment to Sacramento. Even if all $50 million from Anaheim goes towards Arco Payments that still leaves them between $20-30 million in debt to Sacramento PLUS the relocation fee which will likely be in the $30-$50 million dollar range and that's not even including the line of credit they already took out with the NBA. I realize Anaheim will likely have a more lucrative TV deal and more corporate seating, but it won't be paying down those debts anytime soon. It makes little sense to me why they wouldn't really try one more shot with Sacramento first.

But the biggest question I have is that if they are not allowed to relocate, what happens then? They clearly don't want to be in Sacramento and are seemingly adamant about not selling.

Obviously the perfect ending in my mind is that they sell to the Burkle/Anderson/Webber group and the ICON/Taylor team helps a new arena get built in the railyards that revitalizes downtown and keeps my team in Sacramento long term.

But as optimistic as I'd like to be, the Maloofs refusal to sell and insistence on moving and NOT working with KJ or anyone else in Sacramento makes me think that it will come down to a BOG vote and they'll allow the Maloofs to leave.

it would be a PR nightmare for the league if they let the kings leave sacramento, they cannot afford another Seattle incident. just makes the league look bad on how they treat smaller market teams and the fanbase
I disagree with that. Outside of Sacramento, hardly anyone cares. I looked at the nba.com front page when news was blowing up in NY and there were only two little words on that entire front page that were linked to the Sacramento story. I've hardly heard anything on ESPN or any of the major networks. No one seems to care outside of our city. It sucks because it's like we hardly have any supporters outside of our fanbase and the owners that are supporting us based on their own greed.

Unfortunately to that plan they would have to wait a long time and being the top team in southern california, if history taught us anything the lakers will always find a way to get a star, draft or FA. let's not forget the emergence of blake griffin. i am not undervaluing our talent but if they do move theyd have to be willing to lose a lot more money and take in more loans just to be operable.

buss, loses a chunk of money if they move in, certain team owners have voiced out that they are blocking the move. reading from other references I don't see a good ending for the maloofs even if they get what they want. their stubbornness will lead to them in a very dire predicament.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately I have to agree. I think the hope needs to be that the NBA doesn't want to see three teams in Southern California or to start a trend of smaller market teams crowding into the biggest markets. THAT is more likely to keep the Kings in Sacramento than any notion of them feeling bad for Sacramento and its fans.

As I've said, in a way it's fortunate that the Maloofs are trying to move to Anaheim. Because if they were trying to move to say, Kansas City, I think the vote would have already taken place and the trucks would be warming up.

I disagree with that. Outside of Sacramento, hardly anyone cares. I looked at the nba.com front page when news was blowing up in NY and there were only two little words on that entire front page that were linked to the Sacramento story. I've hardly heard anything on ESPN or any of the major networks. No one seems to care outside of our city. It sucks because it's like we hardly have any supporters outside of our fanbase and the owners that are supporting us based on their own greed.
I was referring to if they finally move. its another seattle incident if it does happen. no one cares right now cause of the playoffs.. other small market teams could be facing this same predicament in a few years to come. this really sucks i know.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately to that plan they would have to wait a long time and being the top team in southern california, if history taught us anything the lakers will always find a way to get a star, draft or FA. let's not forget the emergence of blake griffin. i am not undervaluing our talent but if they do move theyd have to be willing to lose a lot more money and take in more loans just to be operable.

buss, loses a chunk of money if they move in, certain team owners have voiced out that they are blocking the move. reading from other references I don't see a good ending for the maloofs even if they get what they want. their stubbornness will lead to them in a very dire predicament.
Oh, I don't actually think they WOULD ever eclipse the Lakers, especially in terms of branding, popularity, TV viewers etc. But I DO think the Maloofs believe it's not only possible but within their reach to do. That's my read on them. I really think they believe that moving to Anaheim will change their fortunes completely. They have to if they are fighting this hard to make a move that logically doesn't make sense on any number of levels.

Either that or they really do have a backdoor agreement with Samueli that they need to stay afloat. But if they are actually in that much trouble financially they shouldn't own a team anyway.

It really is just Sacramento against the Maloofs/Stern and the league. If it were another city losing a team, be honest, how much time an energy would you devote to helping that team? You'd probably say that's too bad and that's about it. Our market is not large enough for ESPN to devote time specifically for the satisfaction of people in Sac.

As far as the Maloofs lobbying the committee, I thought that's exactly what we knew they were going to do for these next two weeks. Sac just has to lay out a plan that the NBA can't refuse. Yes, we're underdogs. But at least we are still in the fight.

Oh, I don't actually think they WOULD ever eclipse the Lakers, especially in terms of branding, popularity, TV viewers etc. But I DO think the Maloofs believe it's not only possible but within their reach to do. That's my read on them. I really think they believe that moving to Anaheim will change their fortunes completely. They have to if they are fighting this hard to make a move that logically doesn't make sense on any number of levels.

Either that or they really do have a backdoor agreement with Samueli that they need to stay afloat. But if they are actually in that much trouble financially they shouldn't own a team anyway.
the gambler in them speaks and decides.. which is sad.

it does not make sense really.. is it illegal according to the league's by laws to have under the table loans. sources say there are loans not publicly disclosed.

they are hell bent on moving blind to see logic.

For one reason or another, the Maloofs have made their mind up. They clearly want out of Sacramento, regardless of the circumstances.

I think in part that attitude is born out of the frustration of trying to get an arena deal done in Sacramento, and having no faith that it can be done, even now.

But I think the larger issue is that they really are emotion driven optimists who have all bought into the notion that Anaheim and the OC is some panacea that will cure all their ills and fill their pockets. I would wager a large sum that they're even convinced that with a young team poised to break out if things go right, when Kobe declines and ultimately retires that they'll be in prime position to be the best team in Southern California and establish a new legacy etc etc. I really believe that while they have to at least be cognizant of the worst case scenarios, they are the kind of guys that are transfixed by the best outcome and really think it's the most likely one.

As for money troubles, I have no idea. Obviously they are struggling. Is there an under the table personal loan agreement with Samueli? Perhaps. And that would clearly be a big red flag for the NBA.

But obviously there's some huge draw for them. Because there's the NBA relocation fee, the loan via bonds from Anaheim and the repayment to Sacramento. Even if all $50 million from Anaheim goes towards Arco Payments that still leaves them between $20-30 million in debt to Sacramento PLUS the relocation fee which will likely be in the $30-$50 million dollar range and that's not even including the line of credit they already took out with the NBA. I realize Anaheim will likely have a more lucrative TV deal and more corporate seating, but it won't be paying down those debts anytime soon. It makes little sense to me why they wouldn't really try one more shot with Sacramento first.

But the biggest question I have is that if they are not allowed to relocate, what happens then? They clearly don't want to be in Sacramento and are seemingly adamant about not selling.

Obviously the perfect ending in my mind is that they sell to the Burkle/Anderson/Webber group and the ICON/Taylor team helps a new arena get built in the railyards that revitalizes downtown and keeps my team in Sacramento long term.

But as optimistic as I'd like to be, the Maloofs refusal to sell and insistence on moving and NOT working with KJ or anyone else in Sacramento makes me think that it will come down to a BOG vote and they'll allow the Maloofs to leave.
I'm wondering the same, too. There must be something real BIG for the Maloofs in Anaheim. The moving costs won't be cheap and its not 100% guaranteed that the OC will embrace the Kings/Royals. The personal loan doesn't surprise me as I was one of the first here in the forum that called that out when this whole thing started. The only thing I can think about is Samueli hooks up the Maloofs with opportunities for other ventures.

If the Kings stay in Sac and the Maloofs remain owners I think the team continues its course of rebuilding and improving. The new CBA will help the team and the Maloofs. If no arena gets built I don't know what will happen. Its like we're back to square one. The NBA BOG will feel like idiots. Its like something has to be written on paper that the arena will be built so that the Kings are forced to stay. Time is running out.

hypothetically, if it was discovered that there ARE deals between samueli and the maloofs which involves other non nba related ventures such as connections, business oportunities outside the kings, how would the league and BOG and stern look at it? and are there any news how the Sacramento group is faring regarding the arena?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I'm wondering the same, too. There must be something real BIG for the Maloofs in Anaheim. The moving costs won't be cheap and its not 100% guaranteed that the OC will embrace the Kings/Royals. The personal loan doesn't surprise me as I was one of the first here in the forum that called that out when this whole thing started. The only thing I can think about is Samueli hooks up the Maloofs with opportunities for other ventures.
Or the Maloofs hook up Samueli with ownership. He seems to be giving up too much not to get anything considerable in return.

Like I've said elsewhere. They have simply made up their mind. Other factors will have to stop them.

Agreed, in fact I believe that most everything happening right now is much more positive than negative. We just need to be patient and let the chips fall. MKJ did his part and did it well, I'm going to trust in that knowing he didn't go down without an A-Bomb of his own.

If it hadn't gone so good you best believe the Maloofs would have filed already.

Know this, Sacramento is being backed by some very high profile politicians that know how to campaign, LOTS of money, and more. These folks know what the **** they're doing. I don't feel like it's all for naught, these people would not waste one second of their valuable time (time is money) if they didn't believe in it.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I was referring to if they finally move. its another seattle incident if it does happen. no one cares right now cause of the playoffs.. other small market teams could be facing this same predicament in a few years to come. this really sucks i know.
Mi amigo, we live in a dog eat dog world. Do you really think the folks in St. Louis, or Chicago, or even Boise Idaho, give a rats behind about where and when the sacramento Kings play? You can't even get a majority of people in sacramento to vote yes on keeping the Kings. Sorry, but for some on this fourm, not meaning you, all objectivity has gone out the window.

I want the Kings to stay in sacramento as much as the next person. Actually, more than the next person, whoever the hell he or she is. I suspose throwing rocks at the Maloofs makes some of you feel better, but it doesn't accomplish anything. I find it interesting that some of you could care less if the Maloofs go belly up financially. I'm sure some of you would dance on their graves. But at the same time, you expect loyality from them. A bit selfserving I think. This is not a one way street.

I see the Maloofs for what they are. Businessmen who are trying to survive. I firmly believe, that if you can convince them that their best chance for survival is in sacramento, then thats the choice they'll take. Its all about making money. But after ten years of trying to get an arena, thats probably a hard sell. Now we have a judge involved in the matter. The NBA. Hopefully a more objective observer, if thats possible. I guess we'll see. But to think that you could exclude the Maloof family from whatever meetings that take place here in sacramento, would be like having a preliminary divorce settlement meeting without one of the parties being present. I think you'd want to be there to see that the pie gets cut up to your satisfaction.

I have no problem with anyone putting their own interests first. Whether it be the Maloof's or the people of sacramento. And I happen to fall on the side of the people of sacramento. To ignore history, and put all the blame on the Maloofs, might give some of you emotional satisfaction. But it accomplishes nothing. Someone once said that, "Hatred and anger corrode the container in which they reside". I'm feeling a little rusty right now, so I better go before I spring a leak.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If people believed that the Maloofs financial empire was collapsing because of the Kings being trapped in Sacramento I believe even some Sacramentans would have sympathy. The problem is that rightly or wrongly the perception is they've gone belly up because of the Palms and that is driving this move. That and the fact that they aren't playing straight with us. Personally I was very sympathetic up until this reached the point of no return.

Most people loved the Maloofs until they wanted to move the team. So you can keep you self rightious speaches. The Maloofs have made a lot errors and now the Kings are in jeapordy in Sac. Yes we don't have an arena yet but the fans have supported this team as well as anywhere. If the Maloofs were better at comunication and selling the new arena things might be different. But I think a lot of people percieve them as demanding and spoiled. That can all change. Just step up to the plate and work together!

Last edited:
The Maloofs decided 3 years ago to do this move. Some things subtle, some were very obvious. I think Sactown fans didn't want to believe what was being arranged, but looking back, you could see it come together. I think now that the "master plan" they put together is falling apart, the huge egos are coming into play. Financially, I don't think the Maloofs can get back to being "super rich" like the days of old if they stay in Sacramento - even with a new arena.
I think they see and hear the HUGE sums of money the Laker TV contract is worth and "need" to get a piece of that pie. Think about it, they have enormous debt and besides the Kings, have ZERO revenue streams. If the Kings are losing money, then their only asset is only adding to the problem.
No one is going to get "rich" owning the Kings in Sacramento. The Kings in Sacramento is only a toy for the super rich, and guess what, the Maloofs aint super rich anymore. Owning the Kings in Sac is more for NBA "bragging rights" and that is all the Maloofs have left.

I feel the Maloof family dynasty is falling apart. All moves and happenings they have made over the last 5 years have hurt them badly. The Palms downfall was the main factor - you don't just shrug off 400m losses. Funny thing is seeing George Maloof suddenly reappear in NYC and telling the TV cameras Sactown would never get another NBA team. In my opinion, he was the "driver" in dumping all the money into the Palms expansion. He should stfu, imo...

I am really looking for a way the Maloofs survive this mess. If they don't sell the team (at a premium) to Burkle and Co., I see NO WAY they continue to be able to operate this team. Hopefully, the other owners (BOG) smell blood in the water and decline the move. If that happens, how much longer would the 3 stooges be able to hold on?

I swear, I would have a friggin block party down here in Orange County if the Maloofs sold the team...