Board of Gov Meeting Updates

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If money is the true motivator you do. Especially, if they are hurting so much right now. Playoff teams make a lot more money. Player salaries are paid by the league in the playoffs. Tickets cost more. More food sold etc. So just having 2-3 more games in the playoffs could mean more than a few million in profits gained.
It would not surprise me at all if the Kings play more playoff games than the Hornets as early as next year, let alone in the future.

Will Smith has to play CWebb, think about it for a little.
Smith is perfect for Webber. Can't believe I didn't think of him. now we need someone really villionus to play Stern, maybe Gene Hackman. Then Jim Carey and Jeff Daniels can reprise their Dumb and Dumber characters and play Joe and Gavin.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Stern came our here last year and spent a couple weeks working with KJ and the city trying to get something done, the whole process was such a cluster **** that he basically threw his hands up and said "I tired, they are not rational." I think after that, he was going to do whatever the Maloof's wanted because he knew it would be an uphill battle dealing with Sac City council. That, I believe, is our biggest hurdle still in all of this.
This is it -- it wasn't last year either. They spent several years, and several million dolars trying to get something done, Sacto's pols failed miserably as always. Nothing got done, the landswap was the last gasp, and I think from that point on the NBA decided Sacramento was not a major league city. That was not always so -- once upon a time Stern loved to talk about Sacto as a model franchise and how it should be etc. But the city killed itself. Things could swing back the other way though if KJ is successful in convincing them that you can actually build something out there.

This is it -- it wasn't last year either. They spent several years, and several million dolars trying to get something done, Sacto's pols failed miserably as always. Nothing got done, the landswap was the last gasp, and I think from that point on the NBA decided Sacramento was not a major league city. That was not always so -- once upon a time Stern loved to talk about Sacto as a model franchise and how it should be etc. But the city killed itself. Things could swing back the other way though if KJ is successful in convincing them that you can actually build something out there.
I don't recall them even really trying with the city. They went straight for the state cal expo deal.

The Knicks and Nets will be closer than ever, and yet they oppose this move? I'm sorry, did the league reject the Nets moving to BK? Hypocrites.
Its about the same distance as now. No different than the Lakers and Clippers moving into Staples.

NJ has already started to try and get a new team when the Nets move.

You must remember that Heather Fargo still had her talons wrapped around the city then. Taylor/ICON/Burle/Webb's group (if they are a separate entity from the Burkle group) and Mayor KJ are on the complete opposite side of the spectrum from the cackling witch.
no doubt.. KJ has a WHOLE BUNCH of former NBA playters that would be willing to help his cause.. Also companies that work with the NBA as well..

KJ could be the best thing to happen to Sac in a long time if he plays his cards right.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was away from TV, radio and the Internet all day today. Reading this thread has given me more reason to hope than I've had in quite a while. I didn't see it, but wasn't there some mention of Larry Bird also stating that he was supporting KJ and the efforts to keep the Kings in Sacramento?

Carmichael Dave's wife commended all Kings fans for not going "gently into that good night." It warms my heart to know that there's someone like Ron Burkle (my new major hero) out there who is willing to stand next to us in our fight to keep our beloved Kings.

:D

Nets are moving like 5-10 miles from where they were already at. it's the same market they were already in. Plus it's only two teams, not three.
Lack of distance doesn't mean it wasn't a significant move. I doubt you would find as many nets fans in NY with the team in NJ as there will be once the team relocates. So, while it's not a big leap in movement, it's a big impact on the NY market and Knick market.

The impact of the nets moving to BK is bigger than a team going to Anaheim in OC. lol @ people looking at distance and saying the move is a wash. This is more about regional identity and clashing fanbases than it is about distance.
I'm not really familiar with how regional stuff works in huge cities because I've never been to one. I suppose if it's really like different parts of the city have different identities then i could see how it would be a problem. I'm just looking at the fact that the New York metro area (which includes northern New Jersey) has 20 million people and should be able to support two teams.

Last edited:
I don't know, how money and business works but I understood that the maloof owe money to sacramento and some other things like the palms, and now anaheim voted to "loan" is it? the maloofs the money to pay off the relocation and I dont know what they are paying still... but isnt it a bad idea to pay off a loan with another loan? move to an already crowded city, with the uncertainty of the success of the product due to competition? in Sacramento they are the only sports team... if the arena is the only issue then wait it out a year. I have a feeling the arena, the team kj is building finally has legs and ready to run..

The money is there if they want to. its obvious they want to own a team but they are suffering financially, they already got rid of the monarchs, their beer thing and I don't know what else. just fold! and sell right?

The impact of the nets moving to BK is bigger than a team going to Anaheim in OC. lol @ people looking at distance and saying the move is a wash. This is more about regional identity and clashing fanbases than it is about distance.
I dunno about that. The New York Giants and Jets both play in NJ.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Lack of distance doesn't mean it wasn't a significant move. I doubt you would find as many nets fans in NY with the team in NJ as there will be once the team relocates. So, while it's not a big leap in movement, it's a big impact on the NY market and Knick market.
This is ridiculous. They're moving across the river. This is like saying that the Kings moving from PBP to a new arena in the railyards would have a big impact on the number of fans in Natomas and downtown.

This is ridiculous. They're moving across the river. This is like saying that the Kings moving from PBP to a new arena in the railyards would have a big impact on the number of fans in Natomas and downtown.
Except that New Yorkers could care less about the Nets because they're in New Jersey. Apples to oranges.

Except that New Yorkers could care less about the Nets because they're in New Jersey. Apples to oranges.
You don't think any of the Nest fans come from New York? It seems like some would have to seeing as how it's just a few miles across the river. Is the regional thing really that strong no would would go see a team that was 5 miles away because it's not in New York?