Board of Gov Meeting Updates

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Figured I'd find this tweet and repost it in case not everyone saw it earlier:

sam_amick Sam Amick
He dropped Burkle's name, and source says Stern went quiet. "You've got Burkle!?"

You'd be remiss to not include the first part of the tweet where Stern was cracking wise about who this new suitor could be.

Long story. But that is usually the deal. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consol_Energy_Center

What it means is that deeper cash resources can be put into action when the financing discussion comes up. No billionaire in his right mind is going to write a check for a whole building. But they can provide options to put upfront cash into the construction in exchange for a sweetheart lease deal long term. The Maloofs being low on cash resources were basically using the lease payments as their installments. I think they would have regretted the high lease payments in the long run. They city is still going to have to step up and provide a huge chunk of public support. There is still no chance to privately fund a new arena without that.
Interesting, so there is another arena available for an NBA team.

Interesting, so there is another arena available for an NBA team.
I said it earlier and I'll say it again...Pittsburgh doesn't want nor can it support an NBA team. It's a Steeler/Penguins town, that's it. There are no NBA roots in that city, and they can barely support their baseball team that's there...they CANNOT support 4 pro sports teams. Burkle doesn't want to move the Kings to Pittsburgh should he buy them.

So here is a pipe dream, Burkle gets the Kings or other team here. Gets the arena going at the railyards. Gets the A's (I'm a Yankees fan) and builds a duel purpose stadium for baseball and football next to the arena with shared parking. I bet Al Davis would jump at moving the raiders here too or even the 49ers since they are looking for a new home.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again...Pittsburgh doesn't want nor can it support an NBA team. It's a Steeler/Penguins town, that's it. There are no NBA roots in that city, and they can barely support their baseball team that's there...they CANNOT support 4 pro sports teams. Burkle doesn't want to move the Kings to Pittsburgh should he buy them.
Oh, I wasnt thinking along those lines. Just that there is another arena out there with KC and San Jose that is NBA ready. And yet here we are with the NBA team and a not NBA ready arena.

Stern came our here last year and spent a couple weeks working with KJ and the city trying to get something done, the whole process was such a cluster **** that he basically threw his hands up and said "I tired, they are not rational." I think after that, he was going to do whatever the Maloof's wanted because he knew it would be an uphill battle dealing with Sac City council. That, I believe, is our biggest hurdle still in all of this.

And all of this makes KJs comments several weeks ago about throwing in the towel all of the sudden very interesting. Has he been reading some Art of War? Because clearly, he had absolutely not thrown in the towel and was furiously working to get his ducks in a row for this BOG meeting... Burkle, etc. But perhaps he was decoying the Maloofs. And he's now dropped a bomb that he'd been building for some time... or at least helping to build.
Kj sat down with the maloofs on march 1. At that time it was assumed kj was out of options and started to pout when the maloofs made it clear they were full steam ahead for so cal. It appears kj had a major plan b in his pocket when he sat down with the maloofs and when he correctly saw the writing on the wall, he didn't show his cards, rolled up his sleves, and got busy nailing this down. We are still likely to have no team very soon, but kj not only gave us a shot to get a team but maybe keep the kings either with or without the maloofs.

Hey Maloofs, you think you know behind door power deals, this is Sacramento. We know back door deals.

Which begs the question, could the RE thing have been a dog and pony show??? I'm no RE lover, but he had to know what they were doing and he was talking to a national reporter with roots in Sac. I don't know. ... But I wouldn't rule it out

Stern came our here last year and spent a couple weeks working with KJ and the city trying to get something done, the whole process was such a cluster **** that he basically threw his hands up and said "I tired, they are not rational." I think after that, he was going to do whatever the Maloof's wanted because he knew it would be an uphill battle dealing with Sac City council. That, I believe, is our biggest hurdle still in all of this.
Was that after the landswap thing fell apart?

I think you misuderstood the quoted wisecrack. The wisecrack came before he heard Burkle. The wisecracking precisely stopped when he heard of Burkle. That was the whole point.
OK but still, just the fact that he was wisecracking about who KJ's side had sort of suggests that he doesn't exactly have their interest in mind.

OK but still, just the fact that he was wisecracking about who KJ's side had sort of suggests that he doesn't exactly have their interest in mind.
Dude don't you get it? Yes, he was wisecracking... but then got real quite with an oh **** look on his face after the Burkle comment. Keep in mind Stern's got a history with the city leadership that would lead anyone to not be on the city's side. Come on man. The NBA basically threw it's arms up after trying to work with the city. Don't you remember that whole John Moag thing?

For certain, the city and regional leaders need to perform if in fact we get a break on this relocation. It's not a victory, but a signal that they are on a short shot clock to produce a new arena. Even the Burkle partner said that was essential. This is still the same city council that hasn't produced a building of significance since they built one for themselves. And their track record in building with vision is on the pathetic side.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Dude don't you get it? Yes, he was wisecracking... but then got real quite with an oh **** look on his face after the Burkle comment. Keep in mind Stern's got a history with the city leadership that would lead anyone to not be on the city's side. Come on man. The NBA basically threw it's arms up after trying to work with the city. Don't you remember that whole John Moag thing?
You must remember that Heather Fargo still had her talons wrapped around the city then. Taylor/ICON/Burle/Webb's group (if they are a separate entity from the Burkle group) and Mayor KJ are on the complete opposite side of the spectrum from the cackling witch.

To be honest i never really followed the arena stuff before this year.

Long story. But that is usually the deal. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consol_Energy_Center

What it means is that deeper cash resources can be put into action when the financing discussion comes up. No billionaire in his right mind is going to write a check for a whole building. But they can provide options to put upfront cash into the construction in exchange for a sweetheart lease deal long term. The Maloofs being low on cash resources were basically using the lease payments as their installments. I think they would have regretted the high lease payments in the long run. They city is still going to have to step up and provide a huge chunk of public support. There is still no chance to privately fund a new arena without that.
And with the good news today, this is still troubling.