Board of Gov Meeting Updates

A team in a market the size of Sacramento which cannot afford luxury tax has to suck for several years to get great draft picks. Our team could not afford to be a Dallas or Lakers and simply spend our way to the top. The income just isn't in this city and the corporate money isn't in this city for us to behave like Dallas.

The team, a middle to low media market team, had little money but had to find a way to get great players. So how do you do that? You have to be very bad and get great draft picks who will develop into stars. The team had to deliberately let the bottom drop out to get there.

This is what the Kings began to do when they gave up spending their MLE on decent ball players which prevented the team from sucking bad enough to get great draft picks.

This is the strategy. It seemed obvious at the time to me that people would quit going and that season ticket holders would not renew. I balked at the idea of letting the team collapse. I was wrong. Given that scenario, it only makes sense to keep salary low. It is predictable what the fan reaction would be. I personally hate to watch a team lose and lose and lose.

Well, look what happened. The Kings sucked, got Tyreke and Cuz, traded and got Dalembert and Thornton and are one great defensive minded SF veteran from being in the way to becoming a great team in a few years. This is the rebuild model. Now the team needs to mature.

There is no doubt that these draft picks that came out of the deliberate suckatude era have rough edges but it also seems like the players that came out of this deliberate suckatude era will be spectacular ball players. You can disagree if you don't believe that Reke, Cuz, and Thornton aren't going to get better and be great but I think the more likely scenario is that this team takes off. The oldest player is 29. They can stay together for a long time and I think they showed that this is a team that will get better and better as that is exactly what happened this year. They started bad with an easy schedule and as they all got used to each other, they got better and better even as the schedule got more difficult. They began to win on the road which can be a sign of good things to come.

Now if they had not gone through the suckatude era, they would have had to spend more money here and there and never quite be bad enough to get out of the hell hole that is the 10th to 20th pick where all you find are great bench players unless you get lucky. If they would have proceded in the old model, the Kings would have been perpetually average. As it is, they have the chance of being great.

It is difficult being a fan and I actually quit watching them even on TV a few years ago. With the drafting of Tyreke I began to watch again. With the drafting of Cuz, I have missed few. With the acquisition of Thornton, I missed none.

With the rebuild strategy mentioned by Bricklayer you have the possibility of being great. We have been great for about 1/4 of the years the team has been here. If you are satisfied with average, you should be upset at what they did. If you want a shot at an NBA title, you should be happy with what they did.
PREACH IT, brotha! That's the truth!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
TonyBizjak

#SacKings minority owner Bob Cook says he was approached by Burkle group recently to be a part of new ownership group. He said yes, but ...

... But when he asked Maloofs last month if they'll sell their portion, they said no.
That's not necessarily bad news nor is it good news. You can't expect anyone, including the Maloofs, to invest their live's saving and probably a lot of emotion into something for 10 years and then make a whiplash change in direction and go back to distributing beer.

Wrrrooooong..

They have been unloading players for "movable pieces" for years. Turns out those movable pieces aren't as easy to move, but whether or not they were at or close to the cap they have been trying to shed salary for years. The product on the floor has suffered because of that and the prices of tickets going up just to see the mess they put out? Please.... Maloofs are as much to blame as anyone for the attendance.

I canceled my season ticket because of that.. So did my father with his 2 season tickets. So it must have affected someone, right?
The Webber trade had nothing to do with the rebuild. It was three years before we ever made our first official "We're Rebuilding" move and traded Bibby, which was the first cost-cutting move we made. We followed that up with the Artest trade, which was brilliant, as it brought us Donte and eventually Omri for a player that would have left us regardless.

We're talking about a rebuild. We started the rebuild three years too late, in 2008. That rebuild is the reason we have the lowest payroll. It's also the reason we have a young and promising team. And the cost-cutting moves might eventually lead to us being able to keep a couple free agents like Dally and Thornton. Because we didn't spend the last three years paying Mike Bibby's albatross contract. This is the way you get good in a small market.

Contrary to your complaint, the Maloofs tried to superglue a broken product together for too long in order to keep attendance high. They spent MLEs on players that they shouldn't have in an effort to keep the team out of the cellar, when that was precisely the opposite of what they should have been doing.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
That's not necessarily bad news nor is it good news. You can't expect anyone, including the Maloofs, to invest their live's saving and probably a lot of emotion into something for 10 years and then make a whiplash change in direction and go back to distributing beer.
The Maloofs don't want to sell. That's not news. And I do kind of doubt that they're going to sell, either out of financial necessity or league mandate. It's clear they don't even want a franchise swap - again, I think they'd need a league mandate for that sort of thing to happen. But, in my mind at least, what Burkle coming on the scene does is this: by saying "Hey, I'd totally love to run a franchise in Sacramento, I think it's completely viable!" he makes the Maloof complaint of "We have to move because we can't make enough money to stay afloat in Sacramento!" look silly. If you take away the "we can't stay afloat" argument, and you pair it with their "we want to move into a 2-team market where our team value will skyrocket" request, the BOG is likely to think twice about allowing the move. That can only help us.

Interesting developments. Who knows how this will play out. I've been skeptical for a while now, but this does raise my eyebrows. A slim chance is still a chance.

Now, on a personal note: I left Sacramento when I was 13, the same year Mitch was traded for Webber. I left the summer before all the fun started. So, as a teenager, watching the Kings on TV and on the League Pass during the golden years was a great way for me to feel the connection to my home town. I'd stay up until 1 in the morning in the East coast just to watch the post game interviews. I wore my Brian Grant jersey and my powder blue Kings hat with pride to school after a win, even though my friends were college hoops fans and uninterested in the NBA. I'd chuckle every time Jerry Reynolds referred to a Peja 3 pt shot as a "Serbian layup," or when he called it a "Beno-drano." Hell, even my roommates in college would shout "Put it in the book, and send him to the line" along side a red-headed announcer whom they had no earthly connection with. I once got a phone call from some buddies who had their car towed and needed a ride home in the middle of the night, but I made them wait until a Kings-Lakers game that had gone into overtime finished before I got them (awful friend, or dedicated fan? You decide). My passion for the team never wavered.

I'm 26 now, and should the Kings leave, I think the largest connection I have with my hometown would leave with them, and that makes me really depressed. I've lived half my life away from Sacramento, and should the Hornets move to Sacramento, I would feel bad for New Orleans fans (and Charlotte fans, really). I'd be happy for those basketball fans still in Sac, but the passion would never be the same for me. When I was younger, our dog died, and we got a new one. It was the same breed and looked identical, but it was never the same dog. Maybe it would be different if I still lived in Sac, but I don't know if I could put forth the same emotional investment into a new team. Or maybe I could, I dunno. Here's to hoping I never have to find out.

Last edited:
The Webber trade had nothing to do with the rebuild. It was three years before we ever made our first official "We're Rebuilding" move and traded Bibby, which was the first cost-cutting move we made. We followed that up with the Artest trade, which was brilliant, as it brought us Donte and eventually Omri for a player that would have left us regardless.

We're talking about a rebuild. We started the rebuild three years too late, in 2008. That rebuild is the reason we have the lowest payroll. It's also the reason we have a young and promising team. And the cost-cutting moves might eventually lead to us being able to keep a couple free agents like Dally and Thornton. Because we didn't spend the last three years paying Mike Bibby's albatross contract. This is the way you get good in a small market.

Contrary to your complaint, the Maloofs tried to superglue a broken product together for too long in order to keep attendance high. They spent MLEs on players that they shouldn't have in an effort to keep the team out of the cellar, when that was precisely the opposite of what they should have been doing.
Not specifically talking about the Webber trade.. But in 2008 my pops and I had enough and cancelled our tickets because of how the team was run.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The Maloofs don't want to sell. That's not news. And I do kind of doubt that they're going to sell, either out of financial necessity or league mandate. It's clear they don't even want a franchise swap - again, I think they'd need a league mandate for that sort of thing to happen. But, in my mind at least, what Burkle coming on the scene does is this: by saying "Hey, I'd totally love to run a franchise in Sacramento, I think it's completely viable!" he makes the Maloof complaint of "We have to move because we can't make enough money to stay afloat in Sacramento!" look silly. If you take away the "we can't stay afloat" argument, and you pair it with their "we want to move into a 2-team market where our team value will skyrocket" request, the BOG is likely to think twice about allowing the move. That can only help us.
I got it. The NBA is a big boy's league and we thought the "billionaire" Maloofs were big. Not big enough.

I am still hopeful here! Maloofs still don't appear to be 100% in their will to move to Anaheim. Hopefully this latest effort is enough to keep the team in Sacramento.

If we are lucky enough to convince BOG to keep the Kings here, then thing will HAVE to change. There MUST be a new arena within a couple of season. There must be a better TV deal for the team. We can't just sit still and think its over because its not. It would be a limited second chance and I hope and pray that it happens and these SACRAMENTO KINGS crown the new Arena with an NBA championship!

I am still hopeful here! Maloofs still don't appear to be 100% in their will to move to Anaheim. Hopefully this latest effort is enough to keep the team in Sacramento.

If we are lucky enough to convince BOG to keep the Kings here, then thing will HAVE to change. There MUST be a new arena within a couple of season. There must be a better TV deal for the team. We can't just sit still and think its over because its not. It would be a limited second chance and I hope and pray that it happens and these SACRAMENTO KINGS crown the new Arena with an NBA championship!
Completely agree. Even if we're lucky enough to block/prevent this move, I won't ever feel secure about the team's future here until tractors, equipment, and workers are on an arena construction site.

I can see this playing out as;

1. Anaheim gets the Royals
2. Sacramento keeps the name and history
3. A stipulation in Sacramento getting a new team is that we build an arena in the next 3-5 years
4. We have Burkle, Webber or whoever buy either the Hornets or an expansion team
5. Sacramento promised that an NBA team (expansion or other) is back in Sacramento by 2016 and we keep the name ect ect when they come back.

Seems like a logical conclusion to the meetings. I would be OK with it, but pretty pissed off for the next 5 years.
That option sucks. Keep the Kings. I want to grow with DMC and Tyreke over the next decade.

Burkle has the ability to buy the franchise outright, build an arena and pay off the Maloofs loans and still have multiple billions of dollars to play with. He'd transform the Kings into a profitability machine and really help the Sacramento region out in terms of getting out of the economy by investing in the Sacramento Kings.

Burkle has the ability to buy the franchise outright, build an arena and pay off the Maloofs loans and still have multiple billions of dollars to play with. He'd transform the Kings into a profitability machine and really help the Sacramento region out in terms of getting out of the economy by investing in the Sacramento Kings.
The only problem with that is that Maloofs don't want to sell under any circumstances! They are pretty adamant about that unfortunately.

I would be great if this mess could be resolves by a stroke of the pen though!

I don't really understand why the Maloofs would be so adamant against taking the Hornets and moving them to the OC. The Hornets have a playoff team with a star player that would draw more than the Kings right now and there would be very good compensation for the trade.

The maloofs may not want to sell now, but with a little pressure, they may change their minds. If Stern thinks its a good idea, he may be able to persuade the maloofs to do a swap. Stern seems to have his ways of getting what he wants.

The only problem with that is that Maloofs don't want to sell under any circumstances! They are pretty adamant about that unfortunately.

I would be great if this mess could be resolves by a stroke of the pen though!
I don't want to sell my home either. But if my debt went up and finances were drop I wouldn't have much of a choice. Sometimes it's not about what you want.

Some tidbits from the Sacbee.com chat with current and former Kings beat writers: Sam Amick, Jason Jones and Marty MacNeal

samick:
Was told by a Kings minority owner last night that $75 million is a figure some thing might happen on the relo fee. Get it up to $100, and Maloofs might have to stay.

Jason Jones:
MKValle: Stern also has to weigh is accommodating the Maloofs worth ticking off some of the big-time owners.

Could the Kings have refiled today if they had the support or is this just a preliminary hearing type thing?

I guess it would be bad news IF they refile because they will not try to unless they have the votes right?

Could the Kings have refiled today if they had the support or is this just a preliminary hearing type thing?

I guess it would be bad news IF they refile because they will not try to unless they have the votes right?
They haven't filed yet. They wanted to get the mood of the other owners first. Monday is the deadline, but we will probably know tomorrow sometime of they are filing. Once they file there is normally 120 days before they vote on it, but that could be days or even months later with the lockout.

I don't really understand why the Maloofs would be so adamant against taking the Hornets and moving them to the OC. The Hornets have a playoff team with a star player that would draw more than the Kings right now and there would be very good compensation for the trade.
To be honest, if I were the Maloofs, I wouldn't want to do that either. They have a young team with a very bright future, lowest payroll in the league and ability for this team to blow up big in a very short period of time. You don't swap that for an average team with a superstar that is disgruntled and feeling the effects of the knee injuries. You take Paul out of that team and they are nothing and there are already rumors that he will leave once he becomes a free agent.

I don't want to sell my home either. But if my debt went up and finances were drop I wouldn't have much of a choice. Sometimes it's not about what you want.
True but they are so freaking stubborn that they would let everything else slip before they give up the Kings.

It took the Giants 10 years to Christen their park with a Championship. Worth the wait for sure. :cool:

To be honest, if I were the Maloofs, I wouldn't want to do that either. They have a young team with a very bright future, lowest payroll in the league and ability for this team to blow up big in a very short period of time. You don't swap that for an average team with a superstar that is disgruntled and feeling the effects of the knee injuries. You take Paul out of that team and they are nothing and there are already rumors that he will leave once he becomes a free agent.

True but they are so freaking stubborn that they would let everything else slip before they give up the Kings.
If money is the true motivator you do. Especially, if they are hurting so much right now. Playoff teams make a lot more money. Player salaries are paid by the league in the playoffs. Tickets cost more. More food sold etc. So just having 2-3 more games in the playoffs could mean more than a few million in profits gained.

I just wish the NBA would at least say, "OK, Maloofs, you can't make the NBA work in Sac without an arena. Burkle can buy the team AND build an arena. They are staying. If you can't make it work, we know someone who can...".

It would just be BS if they agreed to move the team to an unproven market, while there was someone who could make it work right here where they belong....

Stern has shown that he's willing to step in and interfere with sales and transactions when he thinks it's in the best interest of the NBA to do so. He blocked Ellison from purchasing the Hornets when he felt that moving them to the Bay would be bad for the league.

Now he has a choice: let the Maloofs take the Kings to Anaheim and leave the Hornets in NO (keeping many owners upset and continuing to drawn the league of money) or block a move to Anaheim, effectively strong-arming the Maloofs into buying the Hornets and moving them, clearing the path for Burkle to take the Kings.

Maloofs should want this. The league can give them a sweetheart deal on the Hornets, and they can still get that pot of money that's waiting for them at the Pond. Over the last few years they've shown their true colors- they are loyal to money and not much else. If the money is right, they would make the swap.