Board of Gov Meeting Updates

Decided to make a thread to post updates as they come in, right now Mayor Johnson is said to be making his presentation.

Johnson had this to say: Good morning Sacramento! Here in NY getting ready for today's NBA meeting. First time I've suited up for the kings!

Other notes:

TonyBizjak Tony Bizjak

Anaheim Mayor Tait just came out of hotel and hurried off, but briefly said Anaheim is excited &ready for NBA basketball.

Anaheim's Tait said he made the point to the owners: Orange County is entirely different market from LA where two teams already play.

Interesting: Tait barely missed LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling who is said to be opposed to Kings move to Anaheim.

Sterling refused to comment when I asked if he was actively opposing the move.

And maybe completely unrelated but:

B-ball legend and Charlotte team owner Michael Jordan just strode into hotel. He's still got speed. No chance to get an interview. Drat.

Last edited:
Decided to make a thread to post updates as they come in, right now Mayor Johnson is said to be making his presentation.

Johnson had this to say: Good morning Sacramento! Here in NY getting ready for today's NBA meeting. First time I've suited up for the kings!

Other notes:

TonyBizjak Tony Bizjak

Anaheim Mayor Tait just came out of hotel and hurried off, but briefly said Anaheim is excited &ready for NBA basketball.

Anaheim's Tait said he made the point to the owners: Orange County is entirely different market from LA where two teams already play.

Interesting: Tait barely missed LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling who is said to be opposed to Kings move to Anaheim.

Sterling refused to comment when I asked if he was actively opposing the move.

And maybe completely unrelated but:

B-ball legend and Charlotte team owner Michael Jordan just strode into hotel. He's still got speed. No chance to get an interview. Drat.
Awesome, thanks Reina :)

Please let there be one last miracle. I truly believe we just need one more year and the arena and/or ownership issues can be worked out. Go KJ!!! Always a King at heart, even during his playing days.....

George Maloof just came out, says it was a "good meeting" but "nothing's sure until it's voted on."

Mayor Johnson's spokesperson says presentation has wrapped up. He'll be addressing us soon.

George Maloof said there would be more meetings tomorrow.
Uh oh. Sounds like they are definitely going to file.

George Maloof just came out, says it was a "good meeting" but "nothing's sure until it's voted on."

Mayor Johnson's spokesperson says presentation has wrapped up. He'll be addressing us soon.

George Maloof said there would be more meetings tomorrow.
Well gee, thanks Capt. obvious. I mean... George.

All in how its reported:

TonyBizjak

George Maloof just came out: made progress he said. More meetings planned tomorrow. Sounds like he's not ready yet to file for relocation

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Can we read anything from George being the presence at this meeting? He is Mr. Vegas, Joe and Gavin are the face of the team in Sac.... then again I've heard others claim that George is actually Sacramento's biggest advocate in the family.

Can we read anything from George being the presence at this meeting? He is Mr. Vegas, Joe and Gavin are the face of the team in Sac.... then again I've heard others claim that George is actually Sacramento's biggest advocate in the family.
Isn't he the most business savy (well, Vegas's isnt exactly looking too goo right now), a better speak thank Joe and Gavin for sure. Though the other brother, Phil is the politician, right?

My 2 cents... George is the brother who is more under control and isn't as emotional as Gavin and Joe. So maybe it's best he talk to the board.

Stuck here in a 5 hour product demo on webex. Mind-numbingly boring demo to be precise. Meanwhile, suspense is killing me and I cannot thank Reina et al enough for keeping us all up to speed.

Thank you so much.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Isn't he the most business savy (well, Vegas's isnt exactly looking too goo right now), a better speak thank Joe and Gavin for sure. Though the other brother, Phil is the politician, right?
My 2 cents... George is the brother who is more under control and isn't as emotional as Gavin and Joe. So maybe it's best he talk to the board.
Good points. My concern is that if the Palms is really driving this decision then it is a little scary to have the face of the Palms be at the meetings. He surely must be the most business savvy but at the same time all indications are that the Palms is pretty much a total loss and yet they cashed out of other viable businesses to maintain their sinking stake. I still think it would have made the most sense to write off the loss and rebuild rather than move all your goods to the place sitting on quicksand.

Don't know, but he could become Sacramento's best friend! :)

Ron Burkle, November 2006Ronald Wayne Burkle (born November 12, 1952) is an American business magnate. A major political fundraiser, he is listed on the Forbes 400, with an estimated net worth of $3.5 billion in 2008.[1]

He is part owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins[11] National Hockey League team, although his current share is unknown. He co-owns the franchise with Penguins legend Mario Lemieux. The Penguins won the Stanley Cup in 2009.