Webber doing all he can to keep team in Sacramento

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I wrote a note. May not influence anything. I don't know that. It is not a fact that he will do nothing. It took a couple minutes. It wasn't classy. Just a note from a fan.

That's our boy right there!

Go C-Webb!

If he pulls this off the least that we as fans can do is thank him with an ad in the Bee! Go you good thing!
Yeah but a lot more of us will probably have to contribute to the CWebb ad, Mike has spent a lot of money trying to keep the team here already lol.

I wrote a note. May not influence anything. I don't know that. It is not a fact that he will do nothing. It took a couple minutes. It wasn't classy. Just a note from a fan.

I sent him an e-mail also. It can't hurt. Having both Chris and Vlade involved would be huge.

I hope this isn't too late. Webber is truly a hero for doing this, regardless of what the outcome may be.

N

Nikefutbolero

A short while ago on TNT's post-game show, analyst Chris Webber and cohorts Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley devoted an interesting (and potentially significant) segment to the Kings' possible relocation to Anaheim. I transcribed the tape and will include most of the conversation below, the significance of which includes this: Webber saying he is engaged in talks with individuals intent on keeping the Kings in Sacramento; Barkley (jokingly?) saying he will invest "$10-15 million" to assist; Smth, also a former King, saying that, on the Kings worst nights, the fans were as lusty as they were during the years they contended.
Though Webber refused to be specific on-air about the extent of his commitment, after making a few late-night phone calls, I reached original Sacramento Kings executive vice-president Greg Van Dusen, who offered a few specifics. According to Van Dusen, Webber is willing to facilitate a deal - headed by Roger Stewart of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, to "restructure" the city's $77 million loan to the club. Van Dusen, who is working with Arco I and II architect Rann Haight.
"We've been working on this for about three months," said Van Dusen. "The idea is to relieve some of the financial pressure on the Maloofs and the ownership group. Roger had a very positive conversation today (Tuesday) with Chris, who isn't only interested in helping, he wants to lead the effort to keep the Kings here. He loves Sacramento and thinks this is where the Kings belong."
Link

L

LWP777

Wow, I can't honestly say I've ever been excited to listen to the Grant Napear show but I am today!

That is so awesome. Webber has always seemed like such a genuine and emotional guy and this just further proves it. No matter what happens he is a class act and has my utmost respect for his efforts to save the Kings.

Glad to see Barkley keeping it real too. I'm so sick of hearing people saying The Maloofs did all they could. They didn't! They could have and should have done more, as Sir Charles said.

I cannot describe the love and gratitude that I feel right now for my all time favorite NBA player!!! Hope that we will be able to keep our beloved SACRAMENTO Kings right here where they belong has been restored to my heart. I have tears reading this thread. Chris, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart......

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I cannot describe the love and gratitude that I feel right now for my all time favorite NBA player!!! Hope that we will be able to keep our beloved SACRAMENTO Kings right here where they belong has been restored to my heart. I have tears reading this thread. Chris, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart......
If you REALLY want to cry, watch the 4 minutes or so where the three guys discuss the Kings, the fans, and investment. I thought the link was in this thread for the person who wanted the link.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
JGar just posted this link that gives more details.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Chris-Webber-leads-charge-to-keep-Kings-?urn=nba-343407

I can see the problem. If CWebb gets together $500 mil (unlikely but am using that number to make the point) the Maloofs don't have to let his group in. On the other hand, if they invest in an arena, it's a different ball game. My sense is that if this involves players, they want a piece of the team and not an arena. If they just want profit, they may look at many ways of investing their money. They need to be sold on the idea that Sacramento should not lose a team and that no matter where they put their money, it will help towards that goal. Ex-Kings get it. On this particular day, Chuck gets it. They can't be alone.

CWebb is off in a direction I doubt other people could predict but I'll take Chuck's money also. :)

Last edited:
Webber has also apparently tried to buy into the maloofs majority ownership.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/kings/archives/2011/04/post-75.html
I saw that. Pretty discouraging that he was apparently quickly shot down. The Maloofs don't seem to care who's involved or what the offer on the table is, they just aren't interested in staying in Sacramento under any circumstance, it appears. That they seem this sold on the move makes me think there has to be something besides just a TV deal sweetening the Anaheim pot that we don't know about.

I saw that. Pretty discouraging that he was apparently quickly shot down. The Maloofs don't seem to care who's involved or what the offer on the table is, they just aren't interested in staying in Sacramento under any circumstance, it appears. That they seem this sold on the move makes me think there has to be something besides just a TV deal sweetening the Anaheim pot that we don't know about.
For once, I agree with you.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This is the overwhelming impression, and they certainly aren't interested in giving up majority ownership.

But part of the hope has to be that things like the Webb deal muddy the waters and let KJ go before the owners and say see, we CAN save the Kings in Sacramento and get an arena built...but the Maloofs won't let us. Don't let this one family, who you all know may not financially be able to hang in this club anymore, destroy what the NBA has in Sacramento when all these other forces are here wiling to make it work.

This is the overwhelming impression, and they certainly aren't interested in giving up majority ownership.

But part of the hope has to be that things like the Webb deal muddy the waters and let KJ go before the owners and say see, we CAN save the Kings in Sacramento and get an arena built...but the Maloofs won't let us. Don't let this one family, who you all know may not financially be able to hang in this club anymore, destroy what the NBA has in Sacramento when all these other forces are here wiling to make it work.
But didn't KJ say he wasn't going to try and block their move? I suppose that could have just been double talk, though.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Bingo!

The point this is also true helps. :)

Dude, that is so well said that I think you should e-mail it to KJ and ask him to use it as if it were his own words.

Nailed it. Hats off to you Brick.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

Spot on, and this is why I've been hard on the Maloofs after giving them benefit of the doubt forever. Maybe they are better off than we all think but they are certainly giving off the impression that they are broke and the world revolves around the Palms right now, everything else be damned. If that's the case they are unfit to own the team.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
But didn't KJ say he wasn't going to try and block their move? I suppose that could have just been double talk, though.
He said he won't block their move after they've settled all their debts.

They can't settle their debt until they have signed on the deal to move and receive the new loan to settle the debt.

Of course he's trying to block the move.

Nailed it. Hats off to you Brick.
Hell yeah he nailed it! And I think that other 'smaller' market teams are paying VERY close attention to all this, and are probably leaning towards a NO vote to relocation. Hello Milwaukee...hello Utah...hello Cleveland and Portland(Paul Allen ain't getting any younger)! When all these teams are floundering in last place, will the NY's and LA's of the NBA want to gobble them up to further their monopolies? Is THAT what you want Mr Stern, 'super NBA markets' that all have 3 teams a piece???