New Plan Could be Gamechanger for Sacramento Kings

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
I have the feeling KJ would still have managed to hear about a Natomas plan forming under his nose though. West Sac or somewhere else outside of city limit (Folsom, Rancho, Elk Grove) however, could be a different story.
Agreed, it definitely appears KJ is not at all aware of this "alternate plan" given his recent comments. My guess is that means it's either bogus or outside the city limits of Sacramento.

Other sports guys are jealous of Crandell.....

From Crandell's Twitter
"Wow, heat from another TV spts guy for my Kings story with admittedly no details..wonder what he would do..bet he wishes he knew what I do"

Ok guys, here is my educated guess on whats going.

1. I'm 90% sure Tsakopoulos is involved.
2. The reason why an "elected official" is involved is because this deal is going to center around Tsakopoulos being a major financial backer in exchange of opening up a bunch of land for development.
3. Other wealthy Sacramento developers will be involved in other business perks such as land deals, redevelopment money, etc.
4. There is a chance Jerry Brown might be involved, he lives in Sacramento (now) and is a native of norcal (Oakland).

Other sports guys are jealous of Crandell.....

From Crandell's Twitter
"Wow, heat from another TV spts guy for my Kings story with admittedly no details..wonder what he would do..bet he wishes he knew what I do"
Yes Jim, everybody wishes they knew what you know - that's it. Jim, it ever occur to you that people feed you BS to clown you since you are such a caricature already? Wake up Jim... earth to Jim. "...my Kings story with admittedly no details..." you are a walking oxymoron.

Yes Jim, everybody wishes they knew what you know - that's it. Jim, it ever occur to you that people feed you BS to clown you since you are such a caricature already? Wake up Jim... earth to Jim. "...my Kings story with admittedly no details..." you are a walking oxymoron.
I hope for everyone's sake this pessimism is completely misplaced.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Regardless of how much is true the thing I like about the story is that at least for a few days it shifts the narrative back to the Kings being Sacramento's to lose rather than Sacramento being a last resort if Anaheim doesn't pan out. Plus there are some other positives like illustrating how there appear to be a lot more people trying to keep the Kings in Sac than there are trying to get them to Anaheim. Any shift in the narrative may keep some of those fans about to give up from throwing in the towel and may further bring out the Negative Nancys in the already lukewarm LA/Anaheim region.

It is troubling what Kreidler says, but Crandel did only say that a meeting could happen as early as Friday and that the Maloofs were interested. So this could drag out into next week.

Regardless of how much is true the thing I like about the story is that at least for a few days it shifts the narrative back to the Kings being Sacramento's to lose rather than Sacramento being a last resort if Anaheim doesn't pan out. Plus there are some other positives like illustrating how there appear to be a lot more people trying to keep the Kings in Sac than there are trying to get them to Anaheim. Any shift in the narrative may keep some of those fans about to give up from throwing in the towel and may further bring out the Negative Nancys in the already lukewarm LA/Anaheim region.

It is troubling what Kreidler says, but Crandel did only say that a meeting could happen as early as Friday and that the Maloofs were interested. So this could drag out into next week.
This. Crandel didn't say they had a meeting scheduled. He said they were hoping to get a meeting by Friday. So yes Kreidler is right they dont have a meeting scheduled. YET.

To me the Maloofs are the key here. They hold all the leverage right now. Remember Anaheim is the hot chick with the bloated population in the second largest media market in the country.

A new arena does not solve lack of corporate,TV and radio money in Sacramento compared to LA. I hope this is true, but i don't trust the Maloofs at all.

How hard is it for you to even just be open to the possibility that the source of his information is someone intimately involved in the project, and the release of the knowledge of the project to Crandel was conditional on him not sharing the details, but enough details were given to him so that he knows it's legitimate enough to do a story on?

By your response, you have completely ruled out that possibility... and on what grounds do YOU have to do that? Huh? Where are your DETAILS? Oh wait you don't have any? Well then you must be right. Cause you're negative. Riiiight. Hey at least you'll be holding the I told you so card. Congratulations. Bet that feels good.

To me the Maloofs are the key here. They hold all the leverage right now. Remember Anaheim is the hot chick with the bloated population in the second largest media market in the country.

A new arena does not solve lack of corporate,TV and radio money in Sacramento compared to LA. I hope this is true, but i don't trust the Maloofs at all.
I think people over estimate the money availabe in LA for the 6th or higher sports team. Is it better to the 6th option (Lakers, Clippers, Hockey Kings, Angels, Dodgers, Ducks all ahead of them, plus potentially 2 NFL teams in the future) in the #2 market or the #1 and only sports team controlling the arena in the 20th market?

How hard is it for you to even just be open to the possibility that the source of his information is someone intimately involved in the project, and the release of the knowledge of the project to Crandel was conditional on him not sharing the details, but enough details were given to him so that he knows it's legitimate enough to do a story on?

By your response, you have completely ruled out that possibility... and on what grounds do YOU have to do that? Huh? Where are your DETAILS? Oh wait you don't have any? Well then you must be right. Cause you're negative. Riiiight. Hey at least you'll be holding the I told you so card. Congratulations. Bet that feels good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Expressing skepticism isn't always a character deficiency. This rumor doesn't seem legitimate to me and probably a lot of other people. For many people, there is no "I told you so card". I hope this one goes somewhere, but it doesn't pass the sniff test.

Expressing skepticism isn't always a character deficiency. This rumor doesn't seem legitimate to me and probably a lot of other people. For many people, there is no "I told you so card". I hope this one goes somewhere, but it doesn't pass the sniff test.
I'm all about skepticism. And I'm very familiar with Occam's razor. But that wasn't skepticism. Skepticism is remaining open to all possibilities until enough evidence comes in. FdA was already ridiculing Crandel as if he'd been played... with no information of his own to base that on. So you could say that was even more skeptical than him, since I was even skeptical of his conclusions.

Last edited:

I don't want the I told you so card. But I'm alo not a sheep to be herded by COMPLETELY UNSUBSTANTIATED Fox rumors eiher, and I don't like seeing Sacramento's chain yanked by the Fox "news" organization. Fox and Crandell have long since sold their journalistic souls and I think it is naive to believe them anymore.

It won't surprise me if some day we are reading about Crandell and his inner circle drinking cyanide kool-aid in a jungle. He demands blind loyalty and amazingly... he gets it. It is amazing. Somehow his "I have a secret" journalism, accompanied by sarcastic twitter taunts, has been allowed to flourish at Fox and it really bothers me.

I'd love to find out I'm wrong, I really really would.

I don't want the I told you so card. But I'm alo not a sheep to be herded by COMPLETELY UNSUBSTANTIATED Fox rumors eiher, and I don't like seeing Sacramento's chain yanked by the Fox "news" organization. Fox and Crandell have long since sold their journalistic souls and I think it is naive to believe them anymore.

It won't surprise me if some day we are reading about Crandell and his inner circle drinking cyanide kool-aid in a jungle. He demands blind loyalty and amazingly... he gets it. It is amazing. Somehow his "I have a secret" journalism, accompanied by sarcastic twitter taunts, has been allowed to flourish at Fox and it really bothers me.

I'd love to find out I'm wrong, I really really would.
Fair enough. I hear you. I'm not familiar with the Sacto media scene these days so I guess you've got more of a feel than I do. But thaat would be a cruel cruel joke that he pulled if it was completely made up. He'll eventually have to follow this up with SOMETHING... twill be interesting to see what.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

I'd apply the sniff test the other direction here. Crandell did a three-minute segment on the ten o'clock news broadcast. Do you do that if you're completely making things up? Not if you don't want to lose your job when it turns out you were full of it. He sold the news editor on the story.

Did Crandell damage his reputation with his Twitter prank? Yes. But he didn't report anything false during the broadcast. And I simply can't imagine that he would pull a stunt of making up major news basically knowing that he'd be fired if he was found out, which he would be.

More likely something is happening behind the scenes, and Crandell has been apparently been asked to only report a small bit of it. The Kings aren't saved by any means, but Crandell seems to think there's at least a chance.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Whatever you think of the "Fox News" cable channel or Fox40's local news they are separate entities owned by different (competing) news corporations. It seems perfectly reasonable to dislike both, but I do think it is an important distinction.

One line, told to me by a friend, that has always stuck with me is "remember guys, no mattter how hot the chick is, there is probably some guy out there that is tired of putting-up with her crap."

I hope that Maloofs have heard the same line.:D

...and, yes, I know it was just not my freind who said it

http://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/538ff0eddcba62836620eb8f18867056

Last edited:
Oh, sure, Jim Crandell never makes up anything.

"Coming up in my show at 10PM, David Stern makes the announcement no Kings (fan) wants to hear"

http://twitter.com/#!/JimCrandell/status/45713300029313024

Right?

It's all about credibility. If Capital Public Radio's Insight had broken this, I'd be all ears. But it's Jim Crandell, for Pete's sake.

The local Fox 40 has little to do with Rupert Murdoch's empire, by the way... Even if the writing is atrocious at the Fox 40 website.

Whatever you think of the "Fox News" cable channel or Fox40's local news they are separate entities owned by different (competing) news corporations. It seems perfectly reasonable to dislike both, but I do think it is an important distinction.
You're right. Point taken. Fox 40 in Sacramento has very edgy marketing for the sports department, this may not be verbatim but it is close: "Jim Crandell, he not only tells you the story, he shows you why you give a sh__..." Adolescent, edgy, not what you'd call "old shool committed to integrity" but rather a sort of desperate appeal to a young demographic who likes to see rules bent. That's fine if that's what you want to present. But Fox 40 has often burned me with teasers... it is old hat and I really don't take any of their teasers seriously anymore including this one.

I'm sorry for coming off as such a buzz killer. I hope Spanos rides to the rescue... it would be so awesome to solve this - put the Spanos name on the entertainment complex, partner with the Maloofs as anchor tenant. Hell maybe it is all true and we live happily ever after.

If so, and we can give the Maloofs a better deal than Anaheim (which is really quite simply the only way it will happen)... I will attend minimum 10 home games next year and cheer loudly and proudly from the hypocrite section... I got no problem with loving the team and not liking the owners.

The big problem I have with what Crandell allegedly heard is that this Anaheim deal has been coming together for 23 months or more now -- KXTV had an interview in April 2009 with a Clippers announcer about it -- and we're supposed to think a complex deal like this can come together in what really is the very last second?

Seriously, it just doesn't make sense.

Like I say, Insight breaks this, I'm listening. Crandell breaks it, I'm putting my head down and getting back to my National Enquirer. There's a reason I always have something better to do at 10 p.m.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Info is released to one outlet. Crandell, the man, has been here a long time. I think it depends on whether you trust Del as opposed to trusting FOX40. It's part of politics. Ad money depends on fans and not population. The Kings would have to steal the fans from the Clippers and Lakers. Only then would their ad income be high. Remember the so-called sweeps week in TV? What an ad would cost depends on the ratings of the show. If the Kings cannot develop a fan base, they will NOT benefit from the large population. It's risky. They absolutely would have to put a winner on the court down south to make it big. They do not have to do that up here.

I have never thought the Maloofs were in a position of power. I personally think they are deparate. They have had major problems with the Palms finances. I doubt if they could get a loan at a reasonable rate and I doubt if their personal bank is full. All indications point in an opposite direction. I doubt if anyone's bank is full.

I think the best chance the Maloofs had was to force the issue, and I think they are forcing it out of personal desparation and as a strategy. They either would end up in Anaheim or stay where they are guaranteed a lifetime income. The fans here are basketball nuts and we are deparate also. We have nothing else. The Maloofs eyes have always been bigger than their stomach. They have wanted to be movers and shakers and be known like Trump. They have failed so far but then so did Trump 10 years ago being personally $900 mil in debt and corporately $3 bil in debt. He recovered.

I think the Maloofs see that they can recover here but we are like a dumb mule and they needed to hit us over the head with a 2 by 4. They needed to play high stakes chicken. If this idea is true, it is win-win for the Maloofs and the city.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The big problem I have with what Crandell allegedly heard is that this Anaheim deal has been coming together for 23 months or more now -- KXTV had an interview in April 2009 with a Clippers announcer about it -- and we're supposed to think a complex deal like this can come together in what really is the very last second?

Like I say, Insight breaks this, I'm listening. Crandell breaks it, I'm putting my head down and getting back to my National Enquirer. There's a reason I always have something better to do at 10 p.m.
Actually I do think if the financing was there tomorrow for an arena in Sacramento the Kings would be compelled to take it even if they had spent a decade in secret negotiations with Anaheim. The other owners will be sympathetic as long as it can be proven that Sacramento is no longer viable as an NBA destination. The minute that there is an NBA ready arena it changes everything because the league does have a very strong interest in small market stability.

Your comparing apples and oranges. The reason an Anaheim deal takes longer is because they have to work out so many details. IE, shares of revenue streams, costs etc with the management company. A new arena doesn't have those obsticles.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Unless the Mayor is lying, this is 100% wrong.
The mayor is speaking from his feelings and as someone whose political future is tied to his ability to keep this team in town.

Now it could very well be that after the last decade of failures to get the arena done the NBA has said "screw Sacramento" but unless they want to contract the league or have a dozen teams running out of LA, NY, Chicago and Dallas alone they need smaller cities to believe they can a) keep their teams and b) compete in the league, if only occasionally to consistently draw fans.